by glide247
Yesterday at 10:26 PM
Introducing Two Colonies
by Kris
Yesterday at 08:41 PM
Seeking a Bra Baby Glider for PTSD
by KarenE
Yesterday at 11:01 AM
Should breeding pairs ever be separated?
by KarenE
Yesterday at 09:48 AM
Looking for vet recommendation, Atlanta
by Jen_faith
Yesterday at 04:40 AM
Fruits and Veggies
by KarenE
10/22/17 10:39 AM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#369011 - 08/23/07 03:56 PM Look what my little GIRL Spryte has!
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: 80 acres of paradise in KS
Spryte is my little girl who broke her leg and had a pin put in it. She had a joey in pouch when she broke her leg and sadly, the joey only survived about 15 minutes after it came oop and weighed just 5.5 grams.

Yesterday Spryte had loose stools so I had to clean her up and what I discovered has just blown me away. I called Bourbon, she said she wanted to see a pic. So I got a pic and sent it to her. I called Mary and sent her the pic too. Bourbon wanted vet verification...

So, this morning when I took Duncan in to be neutered, I took Spryte too and this has been confirmed by my vet...

Spryte is a Hermaphrodite.

That's right, she has both a pouch and a penis!

I have one good photo and will try to get some more but it is almost impossible to hold her in a way that clearly shows her pouch and her penis AND take a picture without her getting to upset with me.

Spryte 1

Spryte 2

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.

#369015 - 08/23/07 04:01 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: Dancing]
37creekview
Unregistered

OMG that is totally amazing.....and great job on the photos

#369019 - 08/23/07 04:04 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: Dancing]
itsasugarglider Offline
Glider Slave

Loc: Nevada
**is shocked**

I didn't know that was possible with gliders!

What a special little suggie!

Is that the first case of a hermaphrodite in gliders? Does it pose any other health risks?

=) you learn something new about your pets every day.

The aim of education should be to teach us how to think rather than what to think.

The difference in involvement and commitment is like a ham omelet. The chicken was involved. The pig was committed.

#369020 - 08/23/07 04:04 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: ]
Slickable3 Offline
Glider Slave

Loc: Cortlandt Manor, NY
What?? OMG!
Toby & Tori
Squirrly & Dexter-their 2 handsome boys Nemo and Romeo
My Gallery: http://www.glidercentral.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=30175

#369025 - 08/23/07 04:10 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: Slickable3]
uraqt33 Offline
Glider Guardian

Loc: Springfield, IL
That's unbelievable!!!! So would it be possible for "her" to breed with a female...or is she more female than male? I'm confused!!! Also, is it hereditary? Could she pass it on to her joeys?
My little angel angel angel : Skittles, Herky, and little Mr. Pickles

Glider Toys Unlimited

#369026 - 08/23/07 04:11 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: Slickable3]
bbiscuitsmommy
Unregistered

Wow that is so interesting! Learn something new every day.

#369028 - 08/23/07 04:13 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: ]
LindsayAnnG
Unregistered

I was wondering the same thing april!! I guess it would all depend if she has testicles, which is doesnt LOOK like she does from your pictures..

WOW!!! thats all i have to say.. I actually havent heard of ANY case of hermaphrodites in any pets!

#369029 - 08/23/07 04:13 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: ]
Xglider Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: Tampa, FL
Been waiting to see you post this Teresa … what an interesting find … I know you sent this to a few vets any interesting input form them?
glider family and think of my friends often!!!

#369030 - 08/23/07 04:14 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: ]
GliderLove Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: SE Minnesota..
WOW!! I have never heard of that happening with a glider, but why not really, it has happened in many species so why not a glider? I am curious as to if sheor he?? lol could breed with a female as well? very interesting!

& all my fuzzies!
Breeder of Leu's, Mosaics, wfb, and standard grey's.
Owner of www.MySugarAddiction.com

:rtmo: :leu:

#369034 - 08/23/07 04:16 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: Xglider]
uraqt33 Offline
Glider Guardian

Loc: Springfield, IL
I was thinking she may have testicles internally...maybe. I wouldn't think it would be possible, but then again...I didn't think a hermahrodite would be possible with a glider either.
My little angel angel angel : Skittles, Herky, and little Mr. Pickles

Glider Toys Unlimited

#369036 - 08/23/07 04:18 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: ]
shelleriddle
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: LindsayAnnG
I was wondering the same thing april!! I guess it would all depend if she has testicles, which is doesnt LOOK like she does from your pictures..

WOW!!! thats all i have to say.. I actually havent heard of ANY case of hermaphrodites in any pets!

Actually it happens in a lot of pets. Dogs, cats and I have seen quite a few in my life!!
T I am glad you posted this with pictures. It was a total shocker to me too!!! WOW!!!

#369050 - 08/23/07 04:35 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: ]
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Generally hermaphrodites are sterile. The fact that she had a joey is amazing. I am going to discuss with Dr. Bradley about doing an ultrasound to check for testes because if she does have them, they are within her body cavity and pose a risk of developing tumors.

Spryte is with her forever mate Duncan and he got neutered this morning so no chance for any more joeys from her.

Besides, hemaphroditism is a definate genetic defect and not something I would risk by letting her breed.

#369061 - 08/23/07 04:47 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: Dancing]
AliaBrown
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Dancing

Spryte is a Hermaphrodite.

My gf works for the Iowa LGBT task force and she wanted me to explain the correct terminology. Hermaphrodite is considered a negative word for people who are born with both female and male traits. What they are actually supposed to be called are intersexuals. This is the accepted word for people with both traits. I just wanted to share something I learned as well. She just started her internship for the task force and that is something they talked about. Wasn't meaning to correct anyone just wanted to share what i had just learned as well. I guess to intersexed individuals it is like calling a little person a midget. Who woulda known.

#369081 - 08/23/07 05:17 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: ]
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Actually, intersexed and hermaphrodites are two different things. There are also psuedohermaphrodites. (being a third thing).

Intersexed conditions in which chromosomal sex is inconsistent with phenotypic sex, or in which the phenotype is not classifiable as either male or female.

This is where they might LOOK like a boy but have all the internal plumbing that a girl has (or the other way around) or they are unable to definitivly identify the different sex organs as being male or female.

Hermaphroditism is where they have BOTH male AND female parts. In Spryte's case, both a pouch and a penis. Only an ultrasound will determine if she has testicles or not. We know she has overies because she has already had one joey.

I also want to point out that I'm referring to a sugar glider, not a human. No offense is intended to any human.

#369089 - 08/23/07 05:33 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: Dancing]
Xglider Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: Tampa, FL
Teresa …. All the TERMs … my goodness … lol… well I think what Alia is saying that the PC term for people is intersexed …
glider family and think of my friends often!!!

#369092 - 08/23/07 05:39 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: Xglider]
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I understand that but they need to understand that there ARE different conditions not just one AND that I'm talking about an ANIMAL and trust me, Spryte isn't offended at all at being called a hermaphrodite. That is a scientific term and if it is not PC for HUMAN individuals, then I'm sorry.

I'm not going to get into an PC argument with anyone. The reason for this thread is to help educate people on an aspect of gliders that has not, to my knowledge, previously been documented with gliders.

#369094 - 08/23/07 05:39 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: Dancing]
tigiris1721
Unregistered

wow. i couldnt believe it until i saw the picture.
the most important thing is that she is healthy. smile

#369100 - 08/23/07 05:48 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: ]
pappy1264 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: MA
Guess the expression 'wow, you certainly don't see that every day' really applies here! Glad she is healthy and she and Duncan can happily live out their lives. But it certainly is interesting and unique!
Timmy, Gidget(RIP), Bandit, Petey(RIP), Phoebe, Jake (RIP) Piper(RIP), Pru(RIP), Paige, Cole, Molly(RIP), Oliver, Wyatt, Roo(RIP), Romeo, Pennie, Mandy(RIP), Madison, Garth, Kikipoo, Stasia, Bella, Petunia(RIP), Helen, Sydney, Kizzy and Sweet Pea's mom,
Mary

#369131 - 08/23/07 06:24 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: pappy1264]
AliaBrown
Unregistered

I'm sorry Dancing if you got offended which it sounded like you did. It may be the case that Spryte doesn't mind being called that. I was just sharing a bit of information about it in the same way you shared yours. My gf works for the LGBT community and that is the term they prefer be used, she even just made a pamphlet about it to hand out in schools.. It may be the case that animals are different. Whichever term you choose to use is up to you. But I wasn't meaning to offend you.

#369134 - 08/23/07 06:26 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: ]
shelleriddle
Unregistered

Okay to get this back on topic of Spryte, as this is what the thread is about.
Thank goodness she is healthy and has such a loving mate as Duncan.

#369135 - 08/23/07 06:28 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: ]
TracyLynn
Unregistered

All I can say is WOW! - What a very special, and very loved little one - guess she will be one for the medical books to want to know about! And I am sure she is going to have several vets really stumped too.

Edited by TracyLynn (08/23/07 06:31 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#369141 - 08/23/07 06:35 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: ]
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I would like to have some genetic testing done but two things stand in the way...

The first being money... DNA testing would be expensive I imagine, atleast at the level of looking at the chromosomes.

Two, it would require a blood draw and she is only a 64 gram glider to start with. Not enough weight to her to get a sufficient blood draw. (Duncan is just 68 grams so they are a good match).

I am going to see about the ultrasound to see if we can get a better "look" at what is going on internally with her.

Oh, and yes, since she has had a joey, I consider her a girl with a penis, not a boy with a pouch. However, if we discover testicles, I might have to reconsider it!

#369143 - 08/23/07 06:37 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: ]
JayAndDiana Offline
Glider Slave

Loc: NJ
Wow Dancing!! I remember when she went through the tests and surgery with the joey.. That is something you need to see with your eyes to believe! thank you for sharing.. do keep us informed on her ultrasound results and what vets say..
75 gal salt water reeftank

gangel Gizzy

#369161 - 08/23/07 06:51 PM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: ]
scraptilldawn Offline
Glider Guardian

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks so much for sharing Dancing this is truly incredible.

#372178 - 08/28/07 02:32 AM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: scraptilldawn]
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Last weds, Spryte had loose stools and it was while cleaning her up I discovered her extra parts.

Well, I was able to get her in today to see Dr. Bradley and it is BAD news.

I'm going to loose my little Spryte...

She has an enlarged liver and fluid in her abdomen cavity from unknown source. She went from 64 grams three days ago to just 58 grams today, which means she is going down hill. Dr. Bradley has NO idea what could be wrong with her and said it could be from her genetic issues (yes, she also confirmed that Spryte is hermaphroditic).

Basically I was given three options...

Put her down...

Love on her and spoil her and make her as comfortable as possible for the time I have left with her, be it a week, month or year...

Or exploratory surgery on the hopes that the problem can 1. be identified, 2. fixed and 3. that she would even survive surgery and the healing after.

I don't see surgery as an option. She is already fragil and since there isn't a definitive reason to do surgery, I don't want to put her through the surgery and the ecollar and pain.

She isn't in pain right now so I'm going to just love her and spoil her for the time I have left with her.
When the time comes, when she is in pain and the pain meds aren't helping, I will help her to the bridge.

Duncan is very very attached and bonded with Spryte. It breaks my heart to think of him loosing his girl. They are both very very special to me and I'm just really spinning with all that is happening right now.

#372180 - 08/28/07 02:39 AM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: Dancing]
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Aw, T, I'm so sorry! hug2 hug2 Is it possible for them to maybe get some of the fluid through a small gague syringe to make her more comfortable, like when dogs have fluid around the lungs, without compromising her? Probably not, but it's all I can think of. I agree the sugery would be too much-Chronos was twice her weight and it still wasn't enough. I know too well the agony of knowing you're on borrowed time with one of your babies, and you love them all the more for it. Give extra loves to the both of them from me. heart

cry

#372185 - 08/28/07 03:15 AM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: Xfilefan]
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis

Loc: USA
Quote:
Love on her and spoil her and make her as comfortable as possible for the time I have left with her, be it a week, month or year...

cry hug2

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.

#372195 - 08/28/07 05:17 AM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: SugarBlossoms]
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Oh Teresa, I'm so very sorry cry I know that you will make the right decision for her at the right time and will give her all the love and care in the meantime to let her know her little life has been well worth living. Lots of hugs & prayers coming your way hug2 hug2 hug2
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders

#372220 - 08/28/07 08:03 AM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: sugarglidersuz]
BCChins Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Central Connecticut
Teresa I am very sorry. I remember what you went though for these guys and would do it again in a minute. Please know we are thinking of You, Spryte and Duncan.

Hugs

Friendly Reminder please have an e-collar ready before you need it......

#372221 - 08/28/07 08:04 AM Re: Look what my little GIRL Spryte has! [Re: sugarglidersuz]
TracyLynn
Unregistered

hug2 hug2 cry Teresa, I am so so sorry to hear about Spryte. Sending prayers to Spryte, Duncan & you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 62 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
Alisa3333, reba, AlyCatz, mandydarr, FinFiFuFe
6390 Registered Users
Forum Stats
19 posts in the last 24hrs
6391 Members
134 Forums
8905 Topics
147924 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics
I think my new glider Self-Mutilation
by Newbie
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
Our first sugar gliders
by Klasha
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
Bare Tail Question
by kskill99
Yesterday at 04:57 PM
Took in a glider from my Ex
by New_Guy
Yesterday at 12:11 AM
Should breeding pairs ever be separated?
by AlyCatz
10/22/17 04:53 AM
Twitchy tale movements
by FinFiFuFe
10/20/17 12:29 AM
Looking for vet recommendation, Atlanta
by Jen_faith
10/19/17 08:40 PM
First time glider owner looking for wisdom
by
10/19/17 03:36 PM
Older Male/Joey Female or Older Female?