Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Ladymagyver. 03/28/24 09:57 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: ] #419668
11/19/07 09:21 AM
11/19/07 09:21 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Shawna, it's likely the meds and the discomfort both. Pain meds can kill appetite. As a result of them not eating/drinking as well as the nature of the drug, it can also constipate. Make sure and offer him lots of liquids-gliderade, juice, nectar-whatever he likes. You can put some pedialyte down him periodically to help his body hold on to what he does drink as well-if it has to be by syringe, so be it. You could even add some at meds time with the meds and get them both down at once. That's particularly important with the Ensure-you don't want him getting dehydrated. A bit of Ensure will go a long way to keeping his calorie count up tho even with his appetite down if he's eating it. You can also offer a few extra bugs or favorite treats for now..short term it's more important to keep his weight up than strict nutrition.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: Srlb] #420030
11/19/07 09:02 PM
11/19/07 09:02 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Peggy, thank you, and same goes for you, if you didn't know, then mark it down laugh
Today was a great big giant red letter day (so far). All of his pedi's look normal. He still keeps that right front one curled up by his chest. He hasn't had any pain meds in about 24 hours. He doesn't seem to need them. He is a little shaky still, and he was cool this morning. But that was solved with one of those microwave heat packs put on the outside of the hospital cage. I did it again at lunch, even though he didn't seem to need it. He is drinking water, and plenty of it. I would estimate about a teaspoon of just water. He ate about 1/2 a tablespoon of cantelope last night/today, and about a teaspoon total of fruit smoothie (made with yogurt, fruit and ensure) and ensure by itself. I am using the high protien ensure. So he's eating about half of what he should be. Last night I even got him to eat a few bites of avacado.
Today when I got home from work he was literally trying to climb the walls of the hospital cage. So, I let him out to use me as a jungle gym, and we graduated to a travel cage. It's very small, about 15" tall and 1'wX9"d. But I can hang his pouch and still put the heater pads outside if needed. He doesn't have to do much climbing, as his pouch is the pouch protector kind, so the sides are open. His pee and poo look normal today. So, Yay Coopie!

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Bright Red Feet w/pics [Re: USMom] #420791
11/21/07 01:16 AM
11/21/07 01:16 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
First, I have to say that Coop has actually made a bald spot on his chest, and it seems to have a yellow icky look to it. He is done pulling hair, now all he does is groom. His feet are back to normal, though.

If anyone has any thoughts, let me know. Peggy, there isn't a bite that I could find, and I gave up trying to put anything on it after he got away and bit my face.

Attached Files
Cooper 012.JPG (36 downloads)
Another Chest view
Cooper 001.JPG (28 downloads)
One more of the hand
Last edited by sugarlope; 11/02/08 05:22 PM. Reason: pics no longer work

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Bright Red Feet w/pics [Re: USMom] #420820
11/21/07 03:10 AM
11/21/07 03:10 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
There may not be a bite, but is the skin broken or raw enough to-this is hard to explain-to not be an andequate barrier? They can lick until it's raw and compromised, allowing bacteria/fungs/yeast to invade, get underneath, and populate. The pics aren't clear enough for me to see. If he won't leave it alone a collar may be the only answer to keep him away from it. The vet should probably do a culture to find out what's going on there...because this is external, oral antibiotics shouldn't affect the result. That would be my next step were he one of mine.

Edit: a collar would also keep him from biting you and make it easier to dress the wound...even though it sounds like it may be difficult to do with him, worth the effort. It is extraordinarily rare, but there have been instances of self mutilating the chest, and even of ripping at it with their hands-watch him close. Should a collar make him progress to trying to tear at it with his hands he'd need bandaging around his chest as well. I'm not saying he will, but the situation warrants being aware. worried

Last edited by Xfilefan; 11/21/07 03:14 AM.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: LSardou] #420836
11/21/07 04:02 AM
11/21/07 04:02 AM

J
jin6061
Unregistered
jin6061
Unregistered
J

is it caused by ant's bite?my dog had 1 of those kind of red legs,and it was caused by a bite from a big red ant.or is it because his leg were soak by his urine?hamster usually got this kind of problem.this is quite a dumb idea though.

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: ] #420962
11/21/07 01:10 PM
11/21/07 01:10 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
I have a foam collar I can put on him, as well as the shot glass style. I'm going to try the foam one first, as it's easier for him to get around with. I'm waiting for the doctor to call me back with directions for dosing benadryl. If I can't get anywhere with that, we may be sending him to Peggy's to go to Dr Tristan. We will see :/

Shawna

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: Xfilefan] #421552
11/22/07 02:41 PM
11/22/07 02:41 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
That's right, the trimethoprim sulfa. or TMP...whatever the other three letters are...SMZ I think.

Comparatively, that is a mild broad spectrum and works on a narrower band of bacteria than some, if I'm not mistaken. Gram negative I believe is that one's strength.

IF they can't or won't get a culture, or think they might miss something, or to cover all the bases until culture result comes in, this is the broadest spectrum combo I've had mine on where what you're dealing with is unknown and you have a very sick glider:

Baytril
Clindamycin
Flagyl

2 doses daily of each one, maximum dosage. Minimum time 21 days. I can help with that in PM for a glider averaging 150 grams for the vet...they can work out a formulary from the information for your glider's weight...I think you said 80 something grams? So it would be about half. Meds can be changed if the culture indicates it needs to be, or it can be continued for the full course in case something was missed or if it is unknown. Riker was on/off this for almost a year with his sinus/head infections, so I know they can handle it. Binx and Chronos were on the same combination.

Let me know what info you want, down to dosages mg/ml for your vet if he needs it to calculate. I don't give that offer to anybody, or lightly, but I know it will get where it belongs with you.

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: Xfilefan] #421618
11/22/07 06:54 PM
11/22/07 06:54 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Thanks, Jen! I will call the vet tomorrow, and refer him to the threads involved so he can see what I'm talking about, then bring him in tomorrow afternoon (I have to work during the day) for the tests.
He has gotten a few snackie treats today, which made him happy, but he is due for another dose of meds here in about an hour, which won't.
I really appreciate all of the help and support. This is so hard to deal with, continuously. You have to be hyperaware, I never realized. My hat is off to those of you who have to deal with this full time, all the time. I've only been doing this for a week. I hope I don't have to join your ranks, but if I do, I know I'm in good company. Jen and Peggy, you have been great help, thank you.

Shawna

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: Srlb] #421981
11/23/07 04:47 PM
11/23/07 04:47 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Quote:
A male will have a small, diamond shaped spot on his chest, neutered or no.

Jen, could this be irritated in Coop, and part of his problem? I think we are into infection land now, as he smells, not like decay, but musty icky.

Shawna

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: USMom] #421990
11/23/07 05:01 PM
11/23/07 05:01 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Shawna, I don't know. It's possible. It's possible that's where it started...and it might not have. Smell would say 'infection' rather loudly...he shouldn't smell any differently than he does normally. The only similar case I've been involved with is Firefly, and I still think about that little guy often, and still don't know what exactly happened. Where it started. Why it got infected. What made him (or your guy) do this when 99.9% of gliders have never done anything similar. I'm not sure whether tell you to run a blood test, ultrasound, or what. Although every glider is a learning experience in this forum, I'd gladly sacrifice it to get them well whether I know what happened or not...to lose one and still not know is SO hard. We now know they can run a T4 thyroid test on gliders, and they respond well to L-Thyroxine therapy (for the rest of their lives), but if this is something rare, perhaps genetically linked in some way...can they even run one and to what would they compare it? In all honesty I feel helpless and am throwing the sum of my experience at your little guy and hoping. Although many of his symptoms have much in common with other things, the fact of the bare chest with it's spot is an unknown. You go by color and appearance first to say there's an issue and how bad that issue seems to be compared to other gliders. Very, very, VERY few gliders overgroom the chest at all. Only one other have I walked thru it with, and then couldn't even begin to think what to ask for. Because of Firefly, skin infection came to mind when I saw the pictures, however indistinct...because of that darn discolored spot on the chest that matched. Is that on top of where his chest gland should be?

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: Xfilefan] #422000
11/23/07 05:27 PM
11/23/07 05:27 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
He is bald from up on his neck (don't ask me how he did that) all the way down to the top of his belly area. I have NOT seen him use his hands, only his mouth to remove the hair. I also noticed last night that his teeth are crooked, I don't know if this is new or not. I just don't know. Hopefully we'll have an answer at 5:30.

Shawna

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: USMom] #422011
11/23/07 05:41 PM
11/23/07 05:41 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Have them check his teeth too. IF he has an infection in there, and IF it's running thru his body...it is conceivable it's affecting other things. Of 29 gliders I've never had one with crooked teeth but Lyah...and it's when they were infected and almost ready to fall out.

The only other things I can think of definitely are...
Culture
POSS. skin scraping if they can get it high enough he can't annoy it
Med combo
Pain med
IF he gives a urine sample while you're there...have them check the blood cell counts and chemistry

Anything more would need to wait for what they find in that, and if the vet is willing. But treatment shouldn't be delayed pending culture results...treat for all you can think of (the combo) while waiting for them.

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: ] #422114
11/23/07 11:18 PM
11/23/07 11:18 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Okay, finally we are back from the vet. The vet said it is an eschar lesion. Basically bacteria blocked a blood vessel and killed it. The skin on his chest is dead, and starting to slough off. Around the edges is a thin red line, and he said this is a classic sign of those lesions. That is why he is missing fur so far up his neck. They knocked him out and took some scrapings, and cleaned up as much of that dead skin as they could. There was also some dead skin on that front right hand. They found a ton of Staph bacteria under the dead skin. He said there are "rafts" of the stuff, I am assuming that is a medical term of some sort. They are sending some part of it off to somewhere for testing, a culture of some sort?
He is on Clavamox and Baytril. I should see an improvement by Monday, or I'm to bring him back in.
He couldn't say weather this was the cause of the swelling in the hands or the result of it, or if they are completely seperate issues.

Last edited by USMom; 11/23/07 11:20 PM.

Shawna

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: USMom] #422139
11/24/07 12:25 AM
11/24/07 12:25 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Shawna, I'm trying to figure out where to start. By 'cleaned up' it sounds like they removed tissue? How much, and did they give or say anything about a topical barrier to bacteria, etc, since his skin isn't one while it's broken? Or the chances this could go systemic? About the cleanliness or sterility of his surroundings/housing while the antibiotics go to work? The skin they sent off could be for culture and/or biopsy. There are different kinds of staph infection. (different 'types' of the bacteria-some easier to treat than others) How often are you giving him the meds?

The tissue was dead/dying? That would be a kind of necrosis, but not with the typical black tissue we're used to looking for-though that may happen (hoping not). I too, have no idea if they're connected or separate, or if one may have triggered the other. This would be like a thickening skin with layer on layer of dead skin cells that are more "normal" looking, like a callus of sorts is what it sounds like.

raft (n) 2nd def. -a large number, collection, or quantity; lot -(new world dictionary of the american language, second college edition) - I hadn't heard that particular description before, but it's not exclusively medical apparently, just older or obscure.

I want to ask if he said which species he's seen this in, if it's normal 'size', what the outcomes are in animals he has, what kinds of things can cause this (and can it happen again?), do the chances of another go up since he's had one? If the damage is this extensive in other animals and how their recovery went/how long it took? Good grief, I could come up with a handful more...it's just me...don't panic, lol, I don't expect you to have them all...thinking out loud as much as anything.

I know...I just threw a whole ton of questions at you-going to start looking into what these things are, since I don't know. More info we can find, more ideas/questions we can come up with and possibly apply for your little guy. Staph is a nasty bug and known for being able to kill tissue-I had a bout with that and strep in skin once myself.

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: Xfilefan] #422147
11/24/07 12:49 AM
11/24/07 12:49 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Okay, forgot to mention earlier, Cooper has lost 9 grams this week. He is down to 70 grams. I believe he was about 95 grams when I got him, so this is a lot of weight.

Shawna, I'm trying to figure out where to start. By 'cleaned up' it sounds like they removed tissue? How much, and did they give or say anything about a topical barrier to bacteria, etc, since his skin isn't one while it's broken? They removed the dead tissue on the outside, it's hard to see from the pics I posted, or the ones in Firefly's post, but it looks like scar tissue. What was underneath looks like new skin, kind like what skin looks like when you peel a blister, very delicate. They did put neosporin on the skin, but told me not to worry about it at home, as he is grooming so much, he'll just take it off. Remember, they knocked him out, so it will be on there for a few hours, at least. Or the chances this could go systemic? We think it already is. About the cleanliness or sterility of his surroundings/housing while the antibiotics go to work? This was not discussed, but I have dealt with it before here (the whole flipping house) and know what the job entails The skin they sent off could be for culture and/or biopsy. Culture is what he's doing. There are different kinds of staph infection. (different 'types' of the bacteria-some easier to treat than others) How often are you giving him the meds? The meds are twice a day each. They gave him a shot of Baytril while he was out tonight.

The tissue was dead/dying? That would be a kind of necrosis, but not with the typical black tissue we're used to looking for-though that may happen (hoping not). I too, have no idea if they're connected or separate, or if one may have triggered the other. This would be like a thickening skin with layer on layer of dead skin cells that are more "normal" looking, like a callus of sorts is what it sounds like. The word he used was Eschar, and lesion.

raft (n) 2nd def. -a large number, collection, or quantity; lot -(new world dictionary of the american language, second college edition) - I hadn't heard that particular description before, but it's not exclusively medical apparently, just older or obscure.

I want to ask if he said which species he's seen this in, if it's normal 'size', what the outcomes are in animals he has, what kinds of things can cause this (and can it happen again?), do the chances of another go up since he's had one? If the damage is this extensive in other animals and how their recovery went/how long it took? Good grief, I could come up with a handful more...it's just me...don't panic, lol, I don't expect you to have them all...thinking out loud as much as anything.
He's seen it in dogs and cats, never this large. Usually they are slightly bigger than Coopers is, but they are 20 times the size of Cooper, so...they are pretty small in those guys. What causes it, usually, is a bacteria blasto something in the blood vessel, and it kills the blood vessel. The antibiotic Coop was on sometimes causes this reaction, as well. However, Coop already had the symptoms when the antibiotic was started. TMPS is something he can never have again because of this. So, I assume it could happen again, but nothing specific was mentioned.
As far as recovery goes, he said I should actually see an improvement by Monday, or he wants to see Cooper again. The blood vessels won't come back, but new ones will grow.
A good indicator that this is an Eschar is the shape, somewhat diamond like, as that is the shape the vessels tend to go in. He lost a lot of them.
Don't worry, you aren't panicking me, I'm already there! LOL
Feel free to ask more questions, I bet the answers are in there, I just can't remember it all, even though I wrote as much as I could.

Shawna

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: USMom] #422171
11/24/07 02:06 AM
11/24/07 02:06 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
One more thing to add to the mix, he kept saying pseudomonas and I found this link about them-- Pseudomonas I guess this is another thing they are going to be testing for.

Last edited by USMom; 11/24/07 02:09 AM. Reason: Linking issue

Shawna

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: USMom] #422183
11/24/07 03:13 AM
11/24/07 03:13 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
It mentions immunosupression in that article you linked to-I have looked at these bacteria before, with other infections. The reason I mention that is part of my train of thought coming into work:

Okay, the antibiotic could have caused this, but it was present before that, or at least started, so another issue is at the root. That doesn't rule out the possibility it made it worse, or caused a cascade effect, because it was already there-the could be a likely scenario, but technically beside the point since it wasn't the original trigger.

So...What?

Allergic reaction? Possible, but he doesn't seem to be reacting to anything now. Might be the treatment/benadryl...might not.

Immunodeficiency? Has something compromised his immune system? I know a little about some immunodeficiency diseases in people...like AIDS and Lupus. Not much, tho probably a little more than the average person as to how they work.

Would that make a blood test worth looking into when he's stronger? Possibly.

Haven't gotten much farther than that yet, but as I get some work done and it gets quieter, I will.

In the meantime, I'm thinking (and I know you are, too) as sterile environment as possible...I wouldn't use a plastic tub or anything where pee could get on the compromised tissue, you want it to fall thru and away from him, and probably want to clean the surfaces with a HOT WATER ONLY cloth every few hours. No cleaners or anything that could aggravate.

I'd keep a topical on it...'new' dries easily and in a glider it can be annoying and cause him to mess with it more, making it worse.

Keep him warm.

PUSH fluids. He will lose it through that site, so very, very important

Now we're having a guest issue...so gotta go for a bit.

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: Xfilefan] #422230
11/24/07 11:25 AM
11/24/07 11:25 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
If I can get some on him, I will put the neosporin on. I am doing my best to keep him warm, and honestly have no idea how to do better than I already am, but this isn't the best solution. The warmest place is in the kitchen, but, that is not the best place. I don't want staph germs in my kitchen, that would lead right into every other living thing in the house. So, I am still working on some ideas.
My projects for this weekend are as follows:

Figure out the heating issue
Figure out the lack of humidity in the air issue
Figure out how to get him to eat

If anyone has any thoughts on these, or idea's, I'm a listenin'!

Shawna

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: USMom] #422237
11/24/07 11:52 AM
11/24/07 11:52 AM
Central Connecticut
BCChins Offline
Glider Addict
BCChins  Offline
Glider Addict

Central Connecticut
USMom can you put a heating pad under his cage and then cover almost all of it to keep the heat in the cage. Or (others please chime in on this)take a large plastic container/tote and place a towel on the bottom place a heating pad on top of it(you may want to drill a large enough hole in the side towards the bottom to put the plug though so he can not get it) place a fleece blanket on top of the heating pad place a hospital cage on top of it and then cover it over leaving 1/4 of it open for air. You could also place the container on its side and layer it the same way if it makes him happier to see out into the room. This should act like a mini incubator and keep him warmer.
Maybe put a small themometer on the sade so you know how warm it is.

You could also get a small ceramic heater and place it in the room he is in and that will keep him nice and warm also. I have one in my glider room and you can make it anywhere from 60-90 degree's in there. Most have a thermometer built in.

Hope he gets better soon.

Have a Good Day
Brenda &
Mr. Magoo

Friendly Reminder please have an e-collar ready before you need it......
Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: BCChins] #422252
11/24/07 12:29 PM
11/24/07 12:29 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
This is what I have come up with this morning.

http://women.webmd.com/staph-infection-cellulitis

The signs of cellulitis are those of any inflammation -- redness, warmth, swelling, and pain. --This explains the red feet at the beginning of this. The article points out that sometimes there is no apparant cause. Cellulitis can lead to the development of Eschar. Most of what I am reading talks about Eschar in severe burns, but also as a result of infection.
A lot of what I am reading about staph, and cellulitis in specific, talk about immunodeficiency. I will go back to what I have said before, stress. I firmly believe that gliders stress longer than we realize. And that it affects them very hard, and we (myself included) don’t keep that in the front of our minds. Stress is a serious immunospressant. Think about how many times you have watched someone under a lot of stress suddenly become very ill from things that are relatively minor.
He has only been at my house for almost 4 months now. That move was stressful. He has always been alone, he is 6 years old. 5 days before this started I tried face to face introductions with another glider. The reason we were working on these intros is because he was losing hair on his head, which is a stress reaction to lonliness. So in 4 months, Coop has to drive 7 hours to a new mom. Go into a new house, with a new cage. Then 30 days later go into a room full of strange, but oddly familiar animals. Then realize that, hey, I wanna friend! So we do friends, but it doesn’t go quite as planned. And now he’s sick.
One thing I have to point out. I said it earlier in this little saga, but didn’t grasp the signifigance of it. He stayed in Gizmo’s cage, she moved to his. We all have staph, every one of us, but we are mostly immune to our own staph. It is staph from somewhere else that is a problem.
So, technically I am at fault here. I didn't knowingly do it, and certainly didn't mean to, but this could have been prevented. I say that so that someone else might be able to avoid some of what we are going through.
Jen, I am pretty sure that Firefly was doing introductions when his showed up, so if it is the same thing, and chances are...then that is two that we know of. Three with Sissy's boy.

Shawna

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: USMom] #422425
11/24/07 06:48 PM
11/24/07 06:48 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Good news for the day, he has eaten almost a tablespoon of food, has had no pain meds, and, and hasn't messed with his chest at all!
Until today he groomed almsot constantly, he only stopped to sleep for 5 or 10 minutes at a stretch or to eat. Woo Hoo!!!! party Maybe he will heal up now!

Shawna

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: USMom] #422498
11/24/07 11:09 PM
11/24/07 11:09 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Bad news for the day, his right eye looked a little...slow earlier? Well, it is weeping, and that third eyelid (I guess thats what it is) you can see it blink, it's moving kind of slow, and his eye looks kind of sunken, maybe. I don't know it certainly doesn't look normal. Is this a further manifestation of the infection? If so will the antibiotics he is on take care of it? I can make an appointment for Monday at the vet, no problem.

Shawna

Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: USMom] #422568
11/25/07 01:07 AM
11/25/07 01:07 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
I don't have a clue about this but wanted to tell you about my daughter's dog Chico. He started losing fur (scratching) and was very irritated. It would slough off and look scabby although it was more callous. Long story short, after months of Chico being on antibiotics, creams, ointments and not eating..he got pretty sick. We were told he would probably die.

Took him to our vet who tested him, he tested positive for Lupus. I'd never heard of an animal having that but the medication Chico was put on worked. He has to take it for the rest of his life. This was 3 years ago and he is doing perfectly fine. His fur grew back, he started eating, stopped "grooming" himself constantly and pulling out fur, gained weight, etc.

I pray your little guy gets well fast. Prayers sent for you both.

hugs

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Bright Red Feet need help [Re: SugarBlossoms] #422596
11/25/07 01:37 AM
11/25/07 01:37 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
I am hoping this isn't something that serious (not to say it isn't there right now, but...). However, I appreciate any thoughts, and am writing them down for the vet. Now if you could give me a way to give him meds that doesn't involve me having to touch him, we'll be good. If I touch his cage he starts crabbing. Since he won't take treats from me, I'm having a hard time negating all of the abuse he's having to take.

Shawna

Really need help now! [Re: USMom] #422624
11/25/07 02:08 AM
11/25/07 02:08 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Okay, more help/advice needed. I have 18 other gliders. I noticed tonight that every place Cooper has bit or scratched me in the last day or so is swollen and red, some are weeping. I think I have his staph. How do I keep the other ones from getting this!
If it isn't one thing, its 27 others, cry.

Last edited by USMom; 11/25/07 02:17 AM.

Shawna

Re: Really need help now! [Re: USMom] #422671
11/25/07 03:00 AM
11/25/07 03:00 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Do you mean the other gliders? Clean your hands/arms well between cages-and maybe use only one set of clothes for Cooper and change before doing anything with the others...use long sleeves. Don't let the others in areas he's been in. For the scratches/bites try Betadine...it will kill anything at the surface, plus you can use the neosporin. If you really think you got his, I'd also get an oral antibiotic for YOU, as much to keep it from becoming established in your system as a preventative in case it hasn't gone past skin level. Basically with the gliders, other people, avoid cross contamination...think of anything you or he might touch, how far he can throw food, etc, and take that into consideration, wash in between, etc. And after dealing with him, go straight to the sink...also wash off the faucet handles after touching them to turn them on, or once you're done washing, you just touched it again-does that make sense? If you use pump soap, rinse that after as well.

Re: Really need help now! [Re: Xfilefan] #422674
11/25/07 03:05 AM
11/25/07 03:05 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Yes, I am talking about the other gliders. Cooper is in another room, entirely. I think a gallon of hand sanitizer is a good plan. Criminy this is fun!

Shawna

Re: Really need help now! [Re: USMom] #422675
11/25/07 03:09 AM
11/25/07 03:09 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Quote:
Criminy this is fun!

Are you sure about that? crazy Not quite my idea of a good time, but if you say so... smile -jk

Actually, some studies have found that the hand sanitizers have been found to NOT work as well as plain soap and warm water. Plus they tend to have alcohol, and be drying, causing minute cracks in the skin which can actually allow bacteria IN. My doctor agrees with this as well. After a bad infection that almost lost me my thumb I'd tried them for awhile, and that's what he told me. So I just keep softsoap in business, lol.

Re: Really need help now! [Re: Xfilefan] #422681
11/25/07 03:30 AM
11/25/07 03:30 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Good point.
If you get time, look over the posts I made since last night, and offer a thought or two. I'm concerned about his eye. It is just wet, not oozing any pus or anything like that, but if we scratched it somehow my guess is the results could be disasterous.
I've attached a pic that I took earlier, you can't really see it on the pic, so I guess that is good. The fur around his eye is wet, like it's watering a lot.

Attached Files
007.JPG (22 downloads)
Last edited by USMom; 11/25/07 03:30 AM. Reason: pic disappeared

Shawna

Re: Really need help now! [Re: USMom] #422685
11/25/07 03:47 AM
11/25/07 03:47 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
This infection is all over in him...it's affected his feet, and chest, unfortunately it could show up just about anywhere. Watch for the eye getting gunky/sticking shut, and listen for any issues with his breathing...either wet sounding grooming sneezes, stuffy sounding or if he starts having popping sounds when he just breathes, an indication it could be in his lungs. If it does try and stick...gently soak/work it open with a warm wet washcloth and qtip (I know that's easier said than done) I'd say you might want some antibiotic eye drops to get that from the outside as well if it continues or gets any worse. I think a space heater would be a good idea...I'd recommend a tub and heating pad if it weren't for the skin already being damaged-you don't want urine or anything getting on it so that wouldn't be a good idea. Make sure he's got blankies tho. With that bare patch he'll lose heat and moisture both and that's where my supportive care concern is at the moment. The more his body has to deal with those issues, the less resource it will have for fighting the infection.

Edit...meant to add sinus drainage or drainage out his nose as well.

Last edited by Xfilefan; 11/25/07 03:47 AM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Ladymagyver), 402 guests, and 64 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,161
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,622 TEXAS
679,099 OHIO
487,209 OKLAHOMA
432,209 UTAH
321,726 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024