More coming soon!!
Today's Birthdays
jen102375, NatalieFuzzbutt, upsoon
Featured Member
Last 10 Posts
Took in a glider from my Ex
by New_Guy
57 minutes 40 seconds ago
Should breeding pairs ever be separated?
by AlyCatz
Yesterday at 10:24 PM
Introducing Two Colonies
by Feather
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
Fruits and Veggies
by KarenE
Yesterday at 10:39 AM
Questions about following Critter Love diet exactly as written
by KarenE
Yesterday at 10:37 AM
My dog Willow
by Terry
10/21/17 06:36 PM
Too Soon To Say Goodbye, my Lulu
by Ladymagyver
10/21/17 05:44 AM
Twitchy tale movements
by Feather
10/20/17 04:15 PM
Looking for vet recommendation, Atlanta
by Feather
10/20/17 04:05 PM
Seeking a Bra Baby Glider for PTSD
by Ladymagyver
10/20/17 02:00 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#444968 - 01/04/08 01:31 AM RIP sweet little Nici...your mommy loved you
Ley
Unregistered

'Ello, obviously I'm very new to this forum. I'm Ley, and I guess you'll hopefully get to know me better after some time. blush

I purchased, well actually more-so rescued a poor, neglected, three year old male glider. Well, I haven't had him for even a week yet, but I decided to get him neutered tonight so that I may hopefully come across a female cage mate for him one of these days (seeing that he has never had one and barely any attention).
Well, Nicias has had a crazy night as we all have (thank god I had/ have support!!!) He's currently rolling around in a small tent with an E-Collar around his neck with three femmes watching him closely. Well, seeing that this is my first glider ever and neither of the other two have had to have their gliders wear an E-collar, just wondering if there is any helpful tips or pointers out there for my baby. Special sleeping arrangements and feeding arrangements have been made; and we've got the pain meds as well as the antibiotics taken care of.

I feel like my first post isn't a very good post, but we've had an interesting night. glider

Edited by gliderdad79 (01/15/08 11:13 PM)

#444990 - 01/04/08 03:08 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: ]
Bubbles8i8 Offline
Glider Guardian

Loc: Northeast TN bordering VA/NC
Hello! I don't have any personal experience with e-collars, but I wanted to welcome you to Glider Central. I'm sure someone with more experience with this will come along shortly.

Welcome!

Wife to Josh, Mom to Taylor heart

:glider: Coo & Chimera
:glider: Ruckus & Mayhem
:glider: Adonis & Persephone & Aphrodite
www.animalhobby.com

Taylor's Sailors
Cages, Toys, Wheels, Pouches, Treats

#444995 - 01/04/08 03:28 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: Bubbles8i8]
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis

Loc: USA
I don't have experience with using an e-collar on a glider although I have e-collars just in case.

Did you bring home pain meds for him? Did he try to self mutilate? (reason for the collar?) Does he have an antibiotic?

Keep him as calm as you can. With my boys, they were too sleepy from pain meds to do anything. I gave them their meds for 2 days then they didn't need it and were fine. I fed them in the pouch and offered water with their bottle about every 4 hours. I didn't have any problems.

Please keep us posted.

Someone with knowledge of this will be here I'm sure shortly!!!

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.

#444996 - 01/04/08 03:28 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: Bubbles8i8]
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Twin Cities, MN
I was with Ashley today for the neuter. This boy was a bit naughty. He decided to rip out his stitch. This was a pomless neuter. I have had three at my vet with no problem...so it is not the vet....the vet is great. This guy came with some baggage...he has long been solo for a long time and been pretty neglected...so part of what happened I am guessing.

He is in an ecollar. The vet gave him a second anesthia and repaired his stitch. He is on Torb w/ Ace and Baytril since he tried to SM.

She is feeding him right now and offering water...he is doing well becides being very PO'd...of course.

He went potty and it was some what bloody. I am guessing can be normal post SM and that is exactly why we have antibiotic here. Tell me if I am way wrong.

She will be arranging the special sleeping quarters for him. Right now we have him in a tiny dispay tent you see at stores...it is working as a good playpen to supervise him and get him used to the collar which he HATES and is actively trying to chew off...lol.

Any and all help welcomed...lol...please.
Cats: Scooby, Swiper, Zero, Dinah & Sykes
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Icarus & Ivy; Howie & Gracie; Rei & Syfka; Rafiki & Rajah, Opal, Lily & Link, Tael, Tatl & Navi

www.cinnamonstix-n-sugar.com

#444997 - 01/04/08 03:34 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: cinnamonstix]
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis

I've not had a boy pee blood. I would call the vet ASAP.

All of my boys were neutered with poms ON and NO stitches or glue. No blood...no collar.

Jen should be here in a minute! She'll know what to say! smile

She is at work, could be a bit.

Edited by SugarBlossoms (01/04/08 03:42 AM)

#445002 - 01/04/08 04:01 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: SugarBlossoms]
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis

Gwen, Jen will be here in app. 20 min. She's at work and can't look at the moment.

How is he doing now? Has he calmed down some?

#445004 - 01/04/08 04:18 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: SugarBlossoms]
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict

He is calmed down. I think when he ripped out the stitch...he may have had a chance to get in a quick bite...nothing serious...but I am thinking that is where the blood came into play.
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Icarus & Ivy; Howie & Gracie; Rei & Syfka; Rafiki & Rajah, Opal, Lily & Link, Tael, Tatl & Navi

#445006 - 01/04/08 04:21 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: cinnamonstix]
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis

Oh good. and OUCH! Poor guy! Is he eating and drinking good? The antibiotic and pain meds can dehydrate him some. Fruit is good for him now to help with liquids.

#445007 - 01/04/08 04:35 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: SugarBlossoms]
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Quote:
he may have had a chance to get in a quick bite...nothing serious...but I am thinking that is where the blood came into play.

If bleeding externally, yes, possibly. If it's in the urine, no. He should not have blood in the urine-that could be an indication he is bleeding internally or into the abdomen, and needs checked out asap.

Other than that, you seem to be handling the ecollar part of things well.

#445008 - 01/04/08 04:39 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: Xfilefan]
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict

well...we think it was in the pee...ummm...can not be completely positive if it was...thinking....

#445009 - 01/04/08 04:45 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: cinnamonstix]
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis

Take a look down there without touching anything, as much as gliders pee, he should pee or at least dribble. Have a white tissue or toilet paper to catch it and see what color it is. If he has any red/pink pee stains, I would get him back to the vet ASAP.

#445010 - 01/04/08 04:45 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: cinnamonstix]
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict

Okay. Well it happened again and we're pretty certain the blood is in the pee so we're on the phone with the vet right now.

#445011 - 01/04/08 04:48 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: cinnamonstix]
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict

when he ripped the stitch...his penis extended far out of the cloaca. The vet took him back in...stitched him up again and shortly after the re-stitch...his penis went back to normal. his cloaca is darker colored than normal. He does not have large amounts of bleed being excreted...but it does happen when he urinates or seems to have pressue by pushing.

#445012 - 01/04/08 04:51 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: cinnamonstix]
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis

He needs to get back to the vet. That is not good. Blood in the urine is an indication of internal hemmorage.

Please keep us posted!!

HUGS

#445013 - 01/04/08 04:52 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: cinnamonstix]
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict

PS...Dani did say he did bite himself once when ripping out the inital stitch.

#445014 - 01/04/08 04:55 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: cinnamonstix]
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis

That shouldn't have caused internal bleeding. Not a usual thing to happen. When the vet put him back under and restitched him, he/she would have seen any damage at that point.

#445015 - 01/04/08 05:00 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: SugarBlossoms]
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis

Peeing blood in this instance would indicate internal bleeding. If it's not stopping, he could bleed to death on the inside-and gliders don't have that much to spare, yet they bleed at the same rate as any other animal. This needs attended to. Also, check him for dehydration.

Let us know what the vet says. An external bite would not cause this. Even if he bit his penis it would clot and stop, not keep going and showing up in the urine (which doesn't come out the ends in a glider) worried

#445016 - 01/04/08 05:16 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: Xfilefan]
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict

Ok...he ripped out the stitch originally...his penis came out far and he was applying a lot of pressue in his cloacal area. Where he bit was in that area (the area he was applying pressue to due to stress). The vet re-stitched him and his cloaca went back to normal and everything looked MUCH better. I am thinking that his puncture wound is in the prosess of healing but when he applies the pressure to urinate...that is when he bleeds. It is not a lot...but you can see it in the color of the urine.

We just got off the phone with the vet... he said that he has never had a glider urinate blood after a neuter but that he did puncture himself and that is likely where it's coming from. He said the fact that he is urinating without strain means his urethra wasn't damaged but that there is damage regardless.
He said to watch him over night and see if the color of his urine changes. If he gets worse or something drastic happens, we're supposed to page him right away and go to the emergency vet he is working at. Otherwise, if he improves we're supposed to call at 10AM tomorrow and give him an update which will probably result in a follow-up exam.

#445020 - 01/04/08 05:25 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: cinnamonstix]
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis

I hope that's all it is. Keep a VERY close eye on things. worried

#445021 - 01/04/08 05:30 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: Xfilefan]
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis

I don't know that I agree with the vet in this case...it's been how many hours post neuter and he's still bleeding? If it's not entirely gone in the next couple hours I'd take him as soon as they open. Again, watch VERY close. If there is a tear on the inside, also (this isn't coming from outside), they may need to try and close it if it won't stop.

Also, did you see if he was dehydrated at all?

#445023 - 01/04/08 05:37 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: Xfilefan]
Ley
Unregistered

The only reason we're accepting the vets reasoning is that no matter what we do for him, he is incredibly determined to get the collar off and pretty much spent an hour rolling around trying to pry it off, which obviously isn't helping with the healing process and he most likely at least partially reopened whatever was beginning to seal, but he's finally calming down, eating, drinking, and pottying just fine (as in without strain).

#445024 - 01/04/08 05:38 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: ]
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis

Ley, is the collar by chance too tight? Does it have cushioning for his neck?

#445026 - 01/04/08 05:40 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: SugarBlossoms]
Ley
Unregistered

As far as we can tell it isn't too tight. He's been in it for a couple hours now and is doing just fine. It does have cushioning on it and we did check it a couple times to make sure he's not choking.

And even though he's drinking water just fine, I checked, and he is hydrated.

#445031 - 01/04/08 05:45 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: Xfilefan]
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Ashley,
I'm so sorry you're having to go through this with your very first glider & first neutering experience worried Although I don't have anything to add to Jen's advice, I just wanted to let you know that I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
I'm going to move this over to Health & Hygiene for better viewing and responses to your situation. Hopefully you'll be able to get more advice...
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders

#445033 - 01/04/08 05:51 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: sugarglidersuz]
Ley
Unregistered

Thanks so much for your concern, well; I guess this just means that my next glider will be a whole lot easier to handle right? crazy

Right now, Nicias is just chillin' and continues to drink bits of water here and there. He's also eating somewhat when offered food or treats, so hopefully this will get better... I hope.

#445036 - 01/04/08 05:54 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: ]
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis

They do not like the collar, and thrashing around the first hour, and on/off for a day or so, is normal. Much preferable to tearing his own stomach open, however. As he realizes that no matter WHAT he does it's not coming off, he'll stop trying so hard. Should he manage to get out of it, get it right back on. If he can crab, eat, and drink, he can breathe. Watch for a blue nose-that would indicate lack of oxygen...having it darken some ( a bit redder than normal) is okay and expected.

#445075 - 01/04/08 09:31 AM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: Xfilefan]
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Greeley, CO
Oh, the poor guy! I know what you're going through! Lan actually did a lot of damage - chewed into his tummy - after his neuter.

There's some awesome advice on this thread, probably starting around the 2nd page somewhere...

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/334295/fpart/1

What was the vets name? Just curious - and for future reference! wink

hug2 Good Luck, you guys!

edited to add: Hello! wave And Welcome to GC!!! laugh

Edited by Usha77 (01/04/08 09:38 AM)
Edit Reason: oops! Forgot to welcome you!
Eugene, Sandy, Seri; Bobbi, Spice; Star, Squiddi; Pearl, Pip; Petrie; Jimny, Pinocchio; Anna & Elsa
And Nacho (dog)
RIP my glider angels: Nynaeve, Poppy, Lan, Toffee, Zoey, Tika & Tas

mlove
Help us help gliders!

www.sugargroup.org

#445234 - 01/04/08 02:03 PM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: Usha77]
Squeaky
Unregistered

Gwen, Ashley, and I all use Dr. Keith Hedges at Brighton Veterinary Hospital.

Ashley is home now with Nicias. She doesn't have internet so I'll give updates when I get them. So far, I haven't heard from her. She could have called Gwen at some point but I'm going to try contacting her next time I know she's going to be awake at - 3 since that's when Nicias would be taking meds.

#445241 - 01/04/08 02:07 PM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: ]
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Greeley, CO
Okay, Thanks! laugh
Eugene, Sandy, Seri; Bobbi, Spice; Star, Squiddi; Pearl, Pip; Petrie; Jimny, Pinocchio; Anna & Elsa
And Nacho (dog)
RIP my glider angels: Nynaeve, Poppy, Lan, Toffee, Zoey, Tika & Tas

mlove
Help us help gliders!

www.sugargroup.org

#445252 - 01/04/08 02:20 PM Re: Hi, I'm New [Re: Usha77]
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict

Ashley has not called me either...wait on update from...Squeaky...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
1 registered (New_Guy), 11 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
reba, AlyCatz, mandydarr, FinFiFuFe, Angelicat26
6389 Registered Users
Forum Stats
13 posts in the last 24hrs
6389 Members
134 Forums
8902 Topics
147908 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics
Took in a glider from my Ex
by New_Guy
57 minutes 40 seconds ago
Should breeding pairs ever be separated?
by AlyCatz
Yesterday at 04:53 AM
Twitchy tale movements
by FinFiFuFe
10/20/17 12:29 AM
Looking for vet recommendation, Atlanta
by Jen_faith
10/19/17 08:40 PM
First time glider owner looking for wisdom
by
10/19/17 03:36 PM
Older Male/Joey Female or Older Female?