Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
12 year old glider...severe arthritis and etc. #492254
03/02/08 03:01 AM
03/02/08 03:01 AM

C
cjedwards04
Unregistered
cjedwards04
Unregistered
C

Well it has been a day…

Today I took Boobear (12 years old) to the vet for her annual check up…and to discuss some other things with her Dr. that I have noticed for some time now. She has been diagnosed with arthritis in her elbows (which is causing her to form new bones in those areas to combat this), her spine, her hips, and in her toes. Her elbows have been listed as the worse of all areas.

Also, her Dr. found a mass on her abdominal which she is concerned about and wants Boobear to go to another facility for further testing (with better equipment for smaller animals). She is ruling out a tumor, but thinks it might be a cyst…but wants the testing to rule that out as well. Either way, it is visible that something is there.

Anyway…the point of this post…Boobear has been placed on medication for pain management. She is supposed to take these meds … everyday… for the rest of her life. I am not happy about this…because I don’t want her to be “doped” up for the rest of her life. YET, I don’t want her to be in pain…really sad to see such an agile animal want to still be agile, but hurting so much.

---------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone experienced a sugarglider with arthritis … and were there other methods used in order to control the pain besides meds? Also she has gain a tremendous amount of weight…any suggestions on assisting Boobear in weight loss? She has been weighed today at 125g. Woooow.

---------------------------------------------------------

Until I can take her (her Dr. is calling Monday to the other facility to brief them and set up an appointment for Boobear so hoping she will get in sometime next week) I will just be making her as comfortable enough to sustain whatever is going on internally.

Any advice would be helpful right now…

Thanks so much!

Sincerely,

CJ and Boobear…together since Aug. 1996…
“never want to be apart from you my Boo!”

Re: 12 year old glider...severe arthritis and etc. [Re: ] #492261
03/02/08 03:18 AM
03/02/08 03:18 AM
Lenexa, KS
TracieB Offline
Glider Addict
TracieB  Offline
Glider Addict

Lenexa, KS
CJ, I'm sorry your Boobear is having so many problems. hug2 I don't have any experience with this so I don't really have any advise for you, but just wanted to let you know how sorry I am and I hope that the doctors can find a way to help her. hug2

Tracie
1 wonderful husband - Chris
1 goofy Yorkie - Dexter
2 naughty kitties - Chloe & Alek

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
1 spoiled Yorkie, Myles - April 5, 1993-June 5, 2007
1 sweet :wfb: Xavier - August 5, 2007-May 20, 2010
2 sweet :grey: :grey: Nara & Alkina - February, 2006-November, 2011

Re: 12 year old glider...severe arthritis and etc. [Re: TracieB] #492265
03/02/08 03:28 AM
03/02/08 03:28 AM
Missouri
tammyangel Offline
Glider Slave
tammyangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Missouri
Sorry to hear about boobear I would talk to treasa and suzie they would be the two with the experience maybe with a glider with arthritis thats sad.

Having Faith and Hope that some day soon.That all the world will come to see that all of gods babies deserve love and affection.

gangel My little three precious angels :rbridge:

http://suggieshack.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=login

Mom to some really spoiled little ones.

:rtmo:
:leu:
:grey:

Re: 12 year old glider...severe arthritis and etc. [Re: tammyangel] #492312
03/02/08 10:11 AM
03/02/08 10:11 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
My Pika had arthritis as a residual issue from a bout with HLP that she had about 2 years before she finally passed away. You said that she is growing new bones??? Do you actually mean that her bones have calcification deposits on them? I don't think it's possible for them to grow new bones, per se dunno At any rate, with Pika, I would give her pain medication on an as-needed basis rather than every day. Some days were more difficult for her than others, and on those days only, I would give her the pain meds. Just be sure that the medication prescribed for Boobear is NOT Metacam. Prolonged use of Metacam (more than 3-5 days) will cause liver damage. It is actually the pain med that I used for Pika, because it has an anti-inflammatory component that the other meds don't have, but the potential for liver damage is the reason that I only used it on an as-needed basis for her worst days...
Please keep us posted on Boobear's next doctor's appointment. hug2

ETA: If you look at Pika's X-ray you can see the calcification issues that she had...

Last edited by sugarglidersuz; 03/02/08 10:14 AM.

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: 12 year old glider...severe arthritis and etc. [Re: sugarglidersuz] #492326
03/02/08 10:26 AM
03/02/08 10:26 AM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
I have never dealt with arthirtis in a glider but I wanted to say I'm sorry for your friend Boobear hug2 I hope there is a way to make her more comfortable with out so much pain meds.

Cindy
Mom to
Jae, Ashton, Briannah, Nevaeh & Addy

& all my fuzzies!
Breeder of Leu's, Mosaics, wfb, and standard grey's.
Owner of www.MySugarAddiction.com

:rtmo: :leu:

Re: 12 year old glider...severe arthritis and etc. [Re: sugarglidersuz] #492391
03/02/08 12:53 PM
03/02/08 12:53 PM

C
cjedwards04
Unregistered
cjedwards04
Unregistered
C

Yes, it is the calcium buildup...just as you described. But the Dr. was saying "forming new bones". Either way, it is terrible for such a small animal to have to deal with all of this. Either way, she is resting...had a good night.

Thanks for all the warm thoughts for Boobear.

She was given Metacam, and thank you for explaining (and giving us the heads up) on that med. Of course, it was not told by her Dr. (whom I do trust, but is not a glider owner) and that is why I came to the GROUP (our glider family) for input.

So hard to determine her pain. She is much like me...know one know the extent of my medical condition because it is not something I display. I can be in pain at any time, but life goes on. She is just like me...so I dont know how to really manage her treatments.

I was going to get her a huge cage...like a custom 6' vertical cage...(she has a 3-tier cage now...so she is in heaven)...but with her falling I am going to not do that but get a horizontal 5 or 6' cage made (about 1' or 2 in height). I need her to run around more instead of trying to climb and jump off things. (That is where she is loosing so much more balance...I've noticed this over some time.)

I will keep you all posted and let you know how her second round of test go. So hard dealing with this because I have never own more sugargliders like everyone else. It has only been her. Well actually I had another glider, but she did not last long with us...only about 1 month and she went home to Gliderville in the sky. So it has really been Boobear and I for all these years.

Thanks again everyone!

CJ and Boobear

Re: 12 year old glider...severe arthritis and etc. [Re: ] #492406
03/02/08 01:10 PM
03/02/08 01:10 PM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
Oh I am so glad you came here, and found out about the Metacam!

Cindy
Mom to
Jae, Ashton, Briannah, Nevaeh & Addy

& all my fuzzies!
Breeder of Leu's, Mosaics, wfb, and standard grey's.
Owner of www.MySugarAddiction.com

:rtmo: :leu:

Re: 12 year old glider...severe arthritis and etc. [Re: ] #492428
03/02/08 01:42 PM
03/02/08 01:42 PM

L
Leyna
Unregistered
Leyna
Unregistered
L

My little Larkin had arthritis in her later years to. I did a few things to help her out, reduce her pain levels, etc. I put her pouch towards the bottom of the cage, so that on days she was sore, she didn't have far to walk to her food bowl. I also kept a heater pointed at her cage, because the warmth helps ease the pain in joints. Also, if she was sore, I tried to reduce/avoid handling.

Re: 12 year old glider...severe arthritis and etc. [Re: ] #492460
03/02/08 02:35 PM
03/02/08 02:35 PM

C
cjedwards04
Unregistered
cjedwards04
Unregistered
C

Leyna...this is great info...a heater. Never thought of that. I will go and purchase one today. Her cage is on a stand...and it stays open so she can come in and out as she feels, but I am going to place it on the floor and leave it open...that way she will just have things lower to the ground.

Thanks again! agree

CJ and BooBear clap

Re: 12 year old glider...severe arthritis and etc. [Re: ] #492498
03/02/08 03:32 PM
03/02/08 03:32 PM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

Just don't put the heater IN her cage...we have seen glider owners place heat rocks in cages and the result was sometimes gliders getting burned because they CAN get TOO hot.

Sending warm thoughts towards you and Boobear hug2

Re: 12 year old glider...severe arthritis and etc. [Re: ] #492517
03/02/08 03:51 PM
03/02/08 03:51 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
How wonderful that you and Boobear have shared so many years together and hopefully you will still have more to come.

If you would allow me a word of caution, please. I read where you allow Boobear's cage to stay open so she can go in and out as she wishes. While this may have worked in the past, now that she is dealing with these health issues, you might want to restrict her movements. I'm concerned that with her pain meds she may become disoriented which could cause her to possibly injure herself while out of her cage or even get lost. With the added hazard of the heater, normally it would not be an issure because the glider would not be allowed roam free.

I trust you do not take offense to my concerns. I lost my very first glider back in l998 to an accident because I let him roam free, and he did not have any of the health issues that Boobear is dealing with. I would not want you to suffer the same heartache.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: 12 year old glider...severe arthritis and etc. [Re: ] #492520
03/02/08 03:53 PM
03/02/08 03:53 PM

L
Leyna
Unregistered
Leyna
Unregistered
L

I wouldn't put the heater anywhere where she could get to it. It would be very easy for her to get burnt...

Re: 12 year old glider...severe arthritis and etc. [Re: ] #492585
03/02/08 05:24 PM
03/02/08 05:24 PM

C
cjedwards04
Unregistered
cjedwards04
Unregistered
C

Believe you me, I am very cautious when it comes to this little one jump ...and yes, no heater to where she can have access to it (especially in the cage). If anything, I would give her "heater treatments" meaning...only have it accessible when she is up in her home...with the door closed...and when I do leave her cage open, the heater is no where around.

Years ago, she had this path she made which did allow me to leave her home open and she came out and ran around (this area in which she form her own boundaries) and when it was about to be morning...she would return back to get some rest. For the last couple of months...as I noticed she was just not up to her old self, I did not allow her to come out unless I was sitting right there with her (that is how I picked up on all of the falling she was doing).

But yes, my first concern for her is her well being, and she is always out of harms way.

My main objective is to obtain info on how to help Boobear in other ways then by meds. If I cannot not give her the meds, I would prefer it. thumb

Re: 12 year old glider...severe arthritis and etc. [Re: ] #492594
03/02/08 05:33 PM
03/02/08 05:33 PM

S
suggies4us
Unregistered
suggies4us
Unregistered
S

Hi CJE I am so sorry to hear about boobear! how tough! I only chime in to say ... 12 years... wow.
What a great bond and friendship you must have!

I hope it all works out!
I call my 18 month old chil "boobear" so this thread caught my eye! Love that name!

Re: 12 year old glider...severe arthritis and etc. [Re: ] #493164
03/03/08 08:27 AM
03/03/08 08:27 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Another thing that I did for Pika was put Shelf Hammocks at various points in her cage to give her a soft landing in case she did fall. With having a large cage for Boobear, it would be a very good idea for you to do the same. I never thought about the heater for Pika, but it is an excellent idea! I do know that Pika loved to rest against the end of my laptop where the fan would blow warm air on her heart Sorry I don't have more words of wisdom to offer you frown

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 371 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,552 TEXAS
679,069 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,142 UTAH
321,666 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024