Featured Member
Last 10 Posts
Looking for vet recommendation, Atlanta
by Jen_faith
Today at 04:40 AM
Took in a glider from my Ex
by New_Guy
Today at 12:11 AM
Should breeding pairs ever be separated?
by AlyCatz
Yesterday at 10:24 PM
Introducing Two Colonies
by Feather
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
Fruits and Veggies
by KarenE
Yesterday at 10:39 AM
Questions about following Critter Love diet exactly as written
by KarenE
Yesterday at 10:37 AM
My dog Willow
by Terry
10/21/17 06:36 PM
Too Soon To Say Goodbye, my Lulu
by Ladymagyver
10/21/17 05:44 AM
Twitchy tale movements
by Feather
10/20/17 04:15 PM
Seeking a Bra Baby Glider for PTSD
by Ladymagyver
10/20/17 02:00 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Topic Options
#503017 - 03/13/08 06:20 AM Before selling/giving your gliders up...
thefotokat Offline
Glider Slave

Loc: Ft. Pierce, FL
Just something to think about. Unfortunately, there are so many bad folks out there who try to get gliders for the wrong reasons. I've been contacted so many times by people who tell me what sounds like a great story about why they want/need a glider. As a rescuer, so many of the gliders that come to me have gone through so much and I don't ever want them to have another bad day in their lives so I research anyone who contacts me about adopting a glider. The first thing I do is to track down and read every post they've made on different boards. It's amazing how many inconsistencies I find...often downright lies. I also ask other people...people who have been in the community and people who have responded to the person in question's posts. Most glider lovers are willing to share info. I also encourage anyone who's had a bad experience or knows about a troller to contact me so I can let other rescue homes know about them. If we all keep our eyes open, and share what we know, we can help keep many gliders out of harmful places.
SECARES
Go To The Vet!!!

#503030 - 03/13/08 07:02 AM Re: Before selling/giving your gliders up... [Re: thefotokat]
TWilson
Unregistered

clap
Well said Kate. These little ones need our protection, need all us to look out for them.
As parents, we would not let our children spend the night at a friends house without knowing their parents and what kind of people they are, speaking to others who know them etc. so why wouldn't we go that extra mile for our suggies too.
If we all worked together in protecting these special little babies we would not only end the suffering of many but stop the abuse before it happens.
Prevention really is worth a pound of cure.

#503059 - 03/13/08 08:34 AM Re: Before selling/giving your gliders up... [Re: ]
mommawannabe Offline
Glider Slave

Loc: Roanoke, Virginia
Bravo Kate!!

Anna
Bunnies-Foo&Friday
Hedgies-Sweet Pea,Dobby,Bambi,DarthVader,Lexy,Shadow, Willow & Thatch.
suggies-Izzy, Miley~Toff, Jasper~Twinkie, Nix~Ash, Nash~Riley, Barney~Spryte~Pixie, Apollo~Athena.
Turtles - Shelly~Petunia

www.suggiebabies.com

#503077 - 03/13/08 09:25 AM Re: Before selling/giving your gliders up... [Re: mommawannabe]
Brittney
Unregistered

Well said! I also highly support taking any rescue you rehome to their new home, as opposed to letting them be picked up (when possible)!

#503078 - 03/13/08 09:26 AM Re: Before selling/giving your gliders up... [Re: mommawannabe]
AmyLynn
Unregistered

I agree totally.

#503096 - 03/13/08 09:50 AM Re: Before selling/giving your gliders up... [Re: ]
MagicMan
Unregistered

I agree...

I dont even have my babies yet but everytime I play with my friend's babies, or when I see em on here... I just love them more and more.

It was so sad to see some of those poor babies at the flea market near here. I hated I couldnt just take all of them and give them a nice place to live.

I just dont see why people, who know nothing about suggies would go to a lfea market, see them, and think oh how cute, I will get one. Im sure that 9 times out of ten they end up being rehomed or just not properly taken care of.

Even if I had the tools to do so, I dont think I would have, though. Im not an experienced glider owner yet and just because I had the right intentions. doesnt make me fit to do so.

One day, though...

One day smile

I , however, am ready to get MY babies, though. I have been on these boards and done a ton of reading and researching. I went to the SGR in Round Rock a few months ago. I help my friend with her 3 babies. I love it!

Now if mine would only come oop. They are slow cookin!

Edited by MagicMan (03/13/08 09:54 AM)

#503119 - 03/13/08 10:12 AM Re: Before selling/giving your gliders up... [Re: ]
Nari
Unregistered

I went through probably 30 different potential adopters before one just happened to fall into place. I don't know how people at flea markets do it. I would not have the heart to sell off so many gliders to people I knew nothing about. Thank God I know I can always email or call the new owner of my baby if I wanted to! I don't think I would have it any other way.

I had people curse me out because I told them I didn't feel comfortable with them. But when you are doing things wrong, plain and simple, I will not let you take my glider! Unless you are willing to listen, take advice, and change your ways. But most people just felt insulted!

Breeding is too hard and I don't know how they do it. I had my male neutered. Thank God I don't have to worry about finding any more homes.

#503126 - 03/13/08 10:26 AM Re: Before selling/giving your gliders up... [Re: ]
MagicMan
Unregistered

Well, as you know already, those people who are cursing at you are just the type of people we are talking about. They just want them to have them. Thats why you did all that screening to find ur babies a proper home.

Well done!!!

#503127 - 03/13/08 10:27 AM Re: Before selling/giving your gliders up... [Re: ]
Karin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: Sycamore Illinois
Bravo x 2 Kate!! clap

Karin

Tira and Misu angel Deja and Vu

Glider Daydreams

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...It is about learning to
dance in the rain!"

#503128 - 03/13/08 10:28 AM Re: Before selling/giving your gliders up... [Re: ]
Lilleethesugee
Unregistered

I think it's wonderful how you protect these little angels! I couldn't ever breed a pair and sell the babies I'd keep them all probably (which is why we need to make sure that I never have too many and neutering will end up happening), but if I had to find a home for them I am glad that this was posted because I wouldn't have even thought that on here there would be people that just wouldn't want to give them the best care. I know that its absoultely amazing some of the stories that I have heard while just looking at some of the sites. I mean sometimes these people haven't EVER tried to hold or bond with them and have had them so long. My question is what was the point? To say oh I have sugar gliders or something? Breaks my heart with all I have gone through with Lillie and now my rescue Cyper who I have had 3 weeks or so and is FINALLY as of last night letting me and my daughter hold him. I know I will rescue them myself until I know I can't handle more for the love of the breed and for the love of animals. My family says they take so much time they take more love than they give but thats not true when Lillie plants her face hug or Cyper finally jumps right in my hand I know they love me and thats all that matters at the end of the day!

#503185 - 03/13/08 11:47 AM Re: Before selling/giving your gliders up... [Re: ]
kthiessen Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Columbia, Missouri
clap

#503213 - 03/13/08 12:16 PM Re: Before selling/giving your gliders up... [Re: kthiessen]
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: Denton, TX
Question:

Hypothetical situation:

Say I read a thread in Classifieds posting about a glider available. Someone that I *know* is bad news has replied "Sent you a PM about this glider" or some such thing. I feel I need to warn the seller that this potential buyer is BAD news!

What are my options?

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.

#503241 - 03/13/08 01:12 PM Re: Before selling/giving your gliders up... [Re: ValkyrieMome]
MagicMan
Unregistered

I agree with you!^^^

I feel it is all of our responsibility to help protect these little ones. Even if they arent ours.

We all love these babies and if we know of someone who is just getting them to add to their "numbers", then I think you would be very right to warn someone who is considering this person as a potential buyer.

Hypothetically!

smile

Edited by MagicMan (03/13/08 01:12 PM)

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
reba, AlyCatz, mandydarr, FinFiFuFe, Angelicat26
6389 Registered Users
Forum Stats
12 posts in the last 24hrs
6389 Members
134 Forums
8902 Topics
147909 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics
Took in a glider from my Ex
by New_Guy
Today at 12:11 AM
Should breeding pairs ever be separated?
by AlyCatz
Yesterday at 04:53 AM
Twitchy tale movements
by FinFiFuFe
10/20/17 12:29 AM
Looking for vet recommendation, Atlanta
by Jen_faith
10/19/17 08:40 PM
First time glider owner looking for wisdom
by
10/19/17 03:36 PM
Older Male/Joey Female or Older Female?