Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
From Riker's people #5665
03/14/03 01:46 AM
03/14/03 01:46 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Hi all. Here's the promised update, and I'll include as much detail as poss. Riker went to see the regular exotic vet this a.m. His shaking had worsened by the time we got there. vet is certain that a calcium absorbption problem is at the root of his illness. His hydration was good, though. All of those forced liquid feedings paid off in that area, at least, and his stools are almost back to normal color as well as consistency.
Riker's shaking being such a problem, making eating difficult and sleep mostly impossible, he put him on a Rx for valium to slow/stop his shaking so he can eat and sleep. His shaking alone, because so violent and constant, caused him to lose 2 grams in weight between Tues. night and today, so something had to be done. He is on a high calcium and vit D3 baby bird hand feeding formula mixed with Gerber baby fruit, Rep-cal (which is higher in calcium than the GliderBooster supplement we were using, as well as being a finer powder and not containing any phosphorus, thus easier to make a suspension), and Gliderade (which he absolutely loves.

I also stopped in at the Pet Factory for his Rep-cal and Gliderade (and a new sleeping pouch)on the way home, and found out some things about the people we bought Riker from, who had claimed to be USDA licenced. For one thing, the Pet Factory in SLC is the ONLY USDA licenced distributor of Sugar Gliders in the state of Utah (and they are the only ones that came up on my breeder search, also). When he saw the name of the lady I bought him from, he said 'Oh, yeah, I know about her ". He said that as far as he knew, they were the only ones with a licence, and that she did NOT have one that he was aware of. (In addition, on the sheet she gave me, we were to call them if the glider were to become ill, which I did just to let her know, and so far I have not received a call back. Haven't heard from them at all since I bought him). He also pointed out the fact that the photo on their 'business' cards came right off the front of Caroline MacPherson's book-which when I looked at the two together, sure enough! I wonder if they had permission to do that? So I let him keep one of the cards, and told him if he felt that she was harming gliders and violating the law, if he knew who to call to report it, I would back it. Hope I've done the right thing.

I did want to ask-the vet said the dosage on the valium (diazipam) which he prescribed, should slow/stop the shaking without knocking him out. However, it's knocking him out within a few minutes of the dose. Any suggestions? (He has been a little more alert since last night, at least, until we gave him the darn drug).The stuff does help the shaking, but we don't want him in a drugged stupor, either.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: From Riker's people [Re: ] #5666
03/14/03 03:02 AM
03/14/03 03:02 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Has the vet done anything to try to pinpoint what is causing the problems with calcium absorption? Tests for parasites etc, both fecal tests and possibly a urine test? When a glider is ill, it seems they lose the ability to absorb calcium first. So, this could an underlying illness causing that, with one glider, with similiar problems, it turned out to be an intestinal obstruction causing the problems, leading to the death of the intestine. I would request every test possible one by one to rule out what is going on. If it's just a calcium problem, that might show up on x-rays. But, HLP is a syptom of another problem, which I can't remember the name of. As far as the valium, I wouldn't change the dose without talking to the vet. They might want him a bit more doped up than you realize, for reasons not articulated. However, I would call the vet and ask about lowering the dose. I'm probably one of the last people to be able to help with this anymore than I already have. I'm sure others will be along that are much more able to assist you a lot better! I hope and pray you find out what is wrong with the little guy! I love his name!
Chey

Re: From Riker's people [Re: ] #5667
03/14/03 03:45 AM
03/14/03 03:45 AM
Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

You sure about the strength...

You need to at least call your vet as how to adjust the dosage or try cutting it in half for starters... If he is still being knocked out...

If your glider is suffering from lack of Calcium....the injectable Calcium along with a vit D3 shot usually work immediately. If he is suffering from HLP...usually a vet will perscribe some sort of calcium therapy that is injectable BID for 7 days. But then again...each vet is different.

Glad to hear his diarreah and hydration is no longer a problem. This is a good sign.

WIll continue to pray for a speedy recovery.

Chey... what you were trying to remember is... If a glider has too much calcium in his body it will affect his muscles and it will also look like the glider is suffering from HLP.

So...to figure out which one it would be...a blood draw I think would need to be done. If your glider does not get better within a week...or gets worse...if this were my glider...I would reconsider having one done.

Gliders who have been on other diets...and calcium is being added... it would be easy to overdose. I myself feed the BML to 30 plus gliders and I have never had a calcium problem and I have been breeding for over six years. Something to consider if you have to have a blood draw and your glider comes up with too much or not enough calcium you might want to reconsider your diet.

Last edited by sugarlope; 02/16/09 08:08 PM. Reason: removed dosages
Re: From Riker's people [Re: ] #5668
03/14/03 05:32 PM
03/14/03 05:32 PM
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Just checking to see if there has been any more improvement with this baby.

Re: From Riker's people [Re: ] #5669
03/14/03 06:19 PM
03/14/03 06:19 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
The DR. said that he wanted to do a blood test, but because Riker had lost 2 grams weight in 2 days he thought it best to wait at leas a few days-he said in order to get enough it would further imbalance things like his liver enzymes and other things and because of the shaking he would have to use anesthesia to get the sample and thought that much stress in the condition Riker is in would not be a good thing. He is slowly improving on the increased calcium and gliderade, and is eating a little more on his own. We are still giving him his antibiotic, and there was a slight elevation in bacteria in his fecal sample. Now the main shaking is mostly in his back legs, as opposed to his entire body. I am waiting to hear back from the vet on the valium dosage.

Question: Should I allow him some out of cage playtime if he wants it? He wanted to play and climb all over me today, but not sure if I should let him expend the extra energy, until his weight stabilizes, but I don't want him getting depressed, either.
Thanks to everyone for their help and support so far!

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: From Riker's people [Re: ] #5670
03/14/03 08:29 PM
03/14/03 08:29 PM
Lexington, KY
Lucy Offline
Serious Glideritis
Lucy  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lexington, KY
Hi, Jen -- it sounds like things are improving - That's GREAT -- it's slow, so try to relax some!

If Riker feels like playing some, go with it! If he's more comfortable just staying with you, that's great, too. He probably won't exercise or play a lot, but the time doing something he enjoys could be enriching to him. If he wants to go all night, that's different, but a little play time could be helpful for both of you == he'd get to play, and you'd get to see that he's able to do so!

I'm glad it's better, and will continue to pray that things continue to improve.

Re: From Riker's people [Re: ] #5671
03/15/03 05:43 AM
03/15/03 05:43 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Thanks Lucy!

I'm really worried about the little guy, and my husband and I am up with him around the clock - his sleep/eating schedule is all messed up. Last night I fell asleep with him in his pouch on my chest-in a chair so no danger of rolling over on him (I've been in that chair a lot lately) Anyway, I'd been asleep about 55 min, and my alarm was about to go off, and he woke me up by chewing on my collarbone to let me know it was time to get up and pay attention to him!

I know this is going to be a long, slow process, and am committed to round the clock care for as long as it takes-any daily improvement is cause for celebration, even if I do feel like a zombie alot lately! I would never recommend a glider to be ill to speed a bonding process, either, but wanted to let everyone know that that aspect of things is progressing by leaps and bounds.He hates the forced feedings, but tolerates them very well-much better than at first, and until he can eat on his own we have no choice. Also-vet ok'd reducing his valium some. The first dosage he had him on would knock him out for 6 hours or so at a time.

Thanks to all for the fantastic support! Don't think I'd have made it through this without you all!

Re: From Riker's people [Re: ] #5672
03/15/03 06:37 AM
03/15/03 06:37 AM
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Hang in there. Having a sick glider is horrible due to the lack of sleep. Good to see you have the valium under control. Can you post as to what kind of bacterial problem he has? Also, you might want to order one of those zippered pouches with the window in it. This way if you fall asleep he cannot get loose and yet will not feel restrained inside the pouch as he can at least see out. You can oder one from Sheila... www.toandfrogliders.com Tell her you need it ASAP due to a sick glider.

Sending prayers your way.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024