by Ladymagyver
31 minutes 12 seconds ago
Introducing Two Colonies
by KarenE
Today at 01:26 PM
Seeking a Bra Baby Glider for PTSD
by KarenE
Today at 11:01 AM
Should breeding pairs ever be separated?
by KarenE
Today at 09:48 AM
Took in a glider from my Ex
by KarenE
Today at 09:48 AM
Looking for vet recommendation, Atlanta
by Jen_faith
Today at 04:40 AM
Fruits and Veggies
by KarenE
Yesterday at 10:39 AM
Questions about following Critter Love diet exactly as written
by KarenE
Yesterday at 10:37 AM
My dog Willow
by Terry
10/21/17 06:36 PM
Too Soon To Say Goodbye, my Lulu
by Ladymagyver
10/21/17 05:44 AM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Topic Options
#570540 - 06/15/08 01:00 PM Another Neuter Method? not posted on GC...
SariYappa Offline
Serious Glideritis

Loc: Upstate, SC
Hello all.
First of all, this is a question because "I don't know the answer". That said, if this is inhumane in any way, or a very bad idea, please don't take it out on me, just let me know nicely! smile

This is the second time I came across this article about neutering, and I haven't been able to find additonal info on this method. It is an old article, although it was published throught the ISGA. It doesn't seem like the author is in business anymore?? (Glider Gulch). I haven't been able to find the page.

It is about neutering without any invasive surgery. It seems to make sense, and to be a good choice for a glider, but what do I know?? tounge

It's all about tying off between the body, and the testacle sack.

Here is the link to the page I am referring to:
http://www.isga.org/informationcenter/HealthIssues/neutering.htm

If anyone has more info on this, please let me know, or where I can get more info.

Opinions? ... Thanks in advance.

wave Sari

:grey:Sugar:grey:Nibbles:grey:Destiny

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Suggie Smart Mart *Home of The Hippie Pouch & Suggie Chandelier

#570557 - 06/15/08 01:37 PM Re: Another Neuter Method? not posted on GC... [Re: SariYappa]
Giggles
Unregistered

Everyone will have a different opinion about which procedure is best. Some neuter and leave the sac, others remove the sac, but I think the most important thing is that you have it done by an experienced vet. Infection and self mutilation are both big concerns. My male was neutered before I got him and he still has the sac, but no bald spot. He still scents things, but not as bad as a male that has not been neutered. I think it should be a decision made by you and a professional.

#570561 - 06/15/08 01:41 PM Re: Another Neuter Method? not posted on GC... [Re: SariYappa]
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis

Loc: Northeast Indiana
Personally, I wouldn't use this method on a glider or any other animal.

Despite what the article implies, it must be INCREDIBLY painful to cut off the circulation to a body part llike that. I remember as a child putting a rubber band very tightly around the tip of my pinkie...and it hurt like the DICKENS! To put pain like that in an already sensitive body part? No thanks! I know grampa probably castrated pigs and male cats like that in the "old days" because there wasn't a vet to come out & at least give a numbing shot beforehand (to speak nothing of how expensive a "house call" would've been) but that doesn't make it any more right in my eyes.

Now I know that accidental pom removals do happen, but to do that intentionally just doesn't settle well with me.

5 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry

#570575 - 06/15/08 02:01 PM Re: Another Neuter Method? not posted on GC... [Re: minkasmom]
Ellen Offline
Owner:Emeritus-Mother Hen

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA.
The vet's can neuter and leave the Poms on. Much safer.

The other way is painful and a chance of infection or SM is very possible.

#570596 - 06/15/08 02:44 PM Re: Another Neuter Method? not posted on GC... [Re: Ellen]
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: Kansas
We did have a member who's glider was done this way, the end result was horriable! I will see if I can find the link.

#570597 - 06/15/08 02:46 PM Re: Another Neuter Method? not posted on GC... [Re: Ellen]
SariYappa Offline
Serious Glideritis

OK! So now I know why it is not listed as a method, LOL!
I appreciate everyones input.
And just for the sake of saying so, I would NEVER try to neuter my pet without a vet! I just want to do the least invasive method, with the least pain, for my children. And in my book, that means looking into all methods available.

A friendly "Thanks again"!

wave Sari

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

#570600 - 06/15/08 02:48 PM Re: Another Neuter Method? not posted on GC... [Re: SariYappa]
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: Kansas
hug2 We knew that! grin

#570601 - 06/15/08 03:00 PM Re: Another Neuter Method? not posted on GC... [Re: LSardou]
Mio
Unregistered

I'm curious as to what happened to the other glider. Whatever the case, wouldn't want to try something that wasn't up to my standards of safety for my babies. I say if you're going to experiment, do it on someone who has a choice in the matter. thumb

#570630 - 06/15/08 04:22 PM Re: Another Neuter Method? not posted on GC... [Re: ]
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: in my happy place
If the scrotal sac is not tied off properly (i.e. Vet ) then the scrotum can swell, become infected and necrotic (again, not to mention the incredible pain involved with all above). frown

#570646 - 06/15/08 04:45 PM Re: Another Neuter Method? not posted on GC... [Re: sugarlope]
Mio
Unregistered

cry That's horrible! Poor babies....

#570657 - 06/15/08 05:03 PM Re: Another Neuter Method? not posted on GC... [Re: ]
rob
Unregistered

Another thing about this method is that it is illegal in the United States. Due to the pain and suffering it causes the animal. If the goverment thinks its cruel for a big bull just imagine our poor babies.

#570664 - 06/15/08 05:10 PM Re: Another Neuter Method? not posted on GC... [Re: ]
SariYappa Offline
Serious Glideritis

This is such good info, I wonder why it is not readily available (or easy to find) on the internet? Or maybe it is just an old story by now, and I'm new at this?

wave Sari

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

#570704 - 06/15/08 06:29 PM Re: Another Neuter Method? not posted on GC... [Re: SariYappa]
Feather Offline
Administrator

Loc: Wisconsin
This is a very cruel way of neutering any animal. Not to mention that if both testes are not in the sack at the time of neutering it will be left in the body, therefore still manufacturing testosterone.

To my knowledge they never castrated pigs this way, but is was (I don't know if it is still used) an accepable way to castrate sheep and cattle.

But this method should never be used on a cat, dog, or other small mammal much less a sugar glider. They are much to delicate to handle the shock it gives their system.
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

#570735 - 06/15/08 07:29 PM Re: Another Neuter Method? not posted on GC... [Re: Feather]
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Twin Cities, MN
I see SM being a huge risk. HUGE. As for least invasive if you have a vet that does lazer and you can afford it that is always the #1 reccomended. My boys all had pom off neuters and did fine, as with any neuter you just need to be tuned into your little buddy and watch over him with a hawk eye for a few days just in case there is a problem. Pain meds should always be given, they really save a lot of lives.
Cats: Scooby, Swiper, Zero, Dinah & Sykes
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Icarus & Ivy; Howie & Gracie; Rei & Syfka; Rafiki & Rajah, Opal, Lily & Link, Tael, Tatl & Navi

www.cinnamonstix-n-sugar.com

#570796 - 06/15/08 09:37 PM Re: Another Neuter Method? not posted on GC... [Re: cinnamonstix]
SariYappa Offline
Serious Glideritis

So, I guess I now know why I can't find this breeder on-line anymore either. I'm guessing she's not doing this anymore... At least I really hope so...

Now, I just have to decide, Poms on, or Poms off... Hmmmmm...

wave Sari

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

#570803 - 06/15/08 09:56 PM Re: Another Neuter Method? not posted on GC... [Re: SariYappa]
blockamon Offline
Glider Lover

Loc: Lynchburg, VA
I know most members will advocate one or the other, but I personally think that pom on vs. off is set by the vet. If you can find an experienced vet in your area who can do both, then pom on is probably the way to go. However, IMO the vet's experience is more important than the method.

#570917 - 06/16/08 06:17 AM Re: Another Neuter Method? not posted on GC... [Re: ]
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis

Loc: NW Missouri
Originally Posted By: rob
Another thing about this method is that it is illegal in the United States. Due to the pain and suffering it causes the animal. If the goverment thinks its cruel for a big bull just imagine our poor babies.

Can you tell me where you got this information?

"My doctrine is this: that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and we do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt." ~ Anna Sewell, English Novelist

#570953 - 06/16/08 08:31 AM Re: Another Neuter Method? not posted on GC... [Re: princessmegi]
gryphon214 Offline
Glider Explorer

Loc: Ohio
Here's the link about the member whose glider was neutered using this method. When the glider was purchased the member was unaware that this method was used but it soon became clear. Ultimatly the glider had to go back in for a proper neuter.

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=512140#Post512140

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
4 registered (Terry, Jez, catdaddyharms, Ladymagyver), 31 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
reba, AlyCatz, mandydarr, FinFiFuFe, Angelicat26
6389 Registered Users
Forum Stats
11 posts in the last 24hrs
6389 Members
134 Forums
8903 Topics
147917 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics
Bare Tail Question
by kskill99
Today at 04:57 PM
Took in a glider from my Ex
by New_Guy
Today at 12:11 AM
Should breeding pairs ever be separated?
by AlyCatz
Yesterday at 04:53 AM
Twitchy tale movements
by FinFiFuFe
10/20/17 12:29 AM
Looking for vet recommendation, Atlanta
by Jen_faith
10/19/17 08:40 PM
First time glider owner looking for wisdom
by
10/19/17 03:36 PM
Older Male/Joey Female or Older Female?