08/20/17 08:30 PM
Camille
by Terry
08/20/17 04:08 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Topic Options
#756246 - 03/27/09 10:44 PM Question Regarding Massachusetts & Permits.
Dr_Shakalu
Unregistered

Hello everyone,

So, I've been fascinated with Sugar Gliders for the past few months. You can imagine how mad I was when I found that MA was on of the few states where sugar gliders are illegal!

So, I was reading up on the Mass Wildlife page and about applying for permits. There are two I am interested in; Scientific Collection Permit (Commercial) and Scientific Collection Permit (Education/Research). The Commercial permit asks for a $100 deposit. It asks for your home address and proposed plan of studying them. It never specifically states that it has to be for a zoo or something like that, especially since it asks for your home address and not the place of business.

The Education/Research appears to be free to apply for. Now, I go to college. I was wondering if I could write on either of the applications a proposed study or give some reason on how they'd be for educational purposes.

Another question. My roommate is from Florida. Although he lives up here for school he is still legally a resident of Florida. His driver's licenses states he is a FL resident at his parents' house as he goes home during summer vacations and what not. Since he technically is a resident of FL with a home address, would he be able to purchase a pair of sugar gliders relatively hassle free?

I was thinking about doing more research and attaching a well written paper with the application on everything about Sugar Gliders, from the birth process to their eating habits to gliding abilities -- everything! I'm a college student so I'm used to writing multiple page research papers with cited resources and all that jazz. Then I could write about how I plan to study something like marsupial bonding habits to humans (me) over the course of their lifespan which would be a good reason to keep them at my apartment, so I can spend more time with them.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Dr_Shakalu (03/27/09 10:52 PM)

Current Research, Studies & Resources
#759148 - 04/01/09 10:58 PM Re: Question Regarding Massachusetts & Permits. [Re: ]
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: Dr_Shakalu
Hello everyone,

So, I've been fascinated with Sugar Gliders for the past few months. You can imagine how mad I was when I found that MA was on of the few states where sugar gliders are illegal!

So, I was reading up on the Mass Wildlife page and about applying for permits. There are two I am interested in; Scientific Collection Permit (Commercial) and Scientific Collection Permit (Education/Research). The Commercial permit asks for a $100 deposit. It asks for your home address and proposed plan of studying them. It never specifically states that it has to be for a zoo or something like that, especially since it asks for your home address and not the place of business.

The Education/Research appears to be free to apply for. Now, I go to college. I was wondering if I could write on either of the applications a proposed study or give some reason on how they'd be for educational purposes.

I'm not sure what the guidelines are for obtaining them in your state. I would assume that for research or for educational purposes one would have to be affiliated directly with a 'funded or granted' program through a specific organization. Listing your residence most likely would not be accepted.

Another question. My roommate is from Florida. Although he lives up here for school he is still legally a resident of Florida. His driver's licenses states he is a FL resident at his parents' house as he goes home during summer vacations and what not. Since he technically is a resident of FL with a home address, would he be able to purchase a pair of sugar gliders relatively hassle free?

He would not be permitted to house them in the state of MA. I am only basing this on my experience of not being able to bring my gliders home with me to Pa. even to visit. Also, if he were to risk having gliders there and were confronted with an emergency, you can not be guaranteed that a vet will see them, or that they could possibly turn him in to the authorities. The gliders would be under a constant risk! I have heard some heartbreaking stories in situations such as this where they will confiscate your gliders 'no questions asked' and euthanize them. It's not fair for the gliders to be put under this risk.

I was thinking about doing more research and attaching a well written paper with the application on everything about Sugar Gliders, from the birth process to their eating habits to gliding abilities -- everything! I'm a college student so I'm used to writing multiple page research papers with cited resources and all that jazz. Then I could write about how I plan to study something like marsupial bonding habits to humans (me) over the course of their lifespan which would be a good reason to keep them at my apartment, so I can spend more time with them.

There is plenty of accessible information now days where you could get a majority of what your interested in learning and writing about by researching on the net, and other Animal Agencies.

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
1 registered (mechnut450), 13 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
Glidermike, BeardedGlider, saharasnow, Louise, MzT3xdafun
6306 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15 posts in the last 24hrs
6306 Members
134 Forums
8815 Topics
147058 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics