Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Topic Options
#794851 - 06/17/09 12:16 AM Just took in a male glider who is blind
GliderFun Offline
Glider Lover

Loc: NY
I just went to pick up a "blind" glider. I put blind in quotes because he can see something. He has cataracs on both his eyes but he seems to see when i put my hand near him.

He seems like he needs some tlc but is going to be fine.

Anyone have blind gliders?

He also has NO bald spot. What does that mean? He has a pom, but no bald spot on his head.

The person i got him from said they don't know if he was neutered or not. They were given him to find a home for because their family was moving and they thought he was creepy and "didnt like rodent type animals" took me all my might to bite my tongue. They said if I didn't take him, they would have brought him to the pound and he would have been pts.

Poor guy. He's in a 10 gallon right now with some BML and a fresh pouch until I scrub the [censored] off the cage he came with. What a shame.

#794857 - 06/17/09 12:31 AM Re: Just took in a male glider who is blind [Re: GliderFun]
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered

I have a joey who only has one eye she can see out of. Her mother scratched the other eyeball and it sealed shut. The eyeball has sunken back and I am pretty positive the skin won't be opening up again. Fur has already grown over it.
She gets around pretty good for only having one eye. She's been this way for a few weeks. I think they adapt to it. Their other senses enhance if you know what I mean?

It sounds like your little guy needs to see a vet soon. They may be able to help him. I'm not sure. But I would deffinitly get him checked out. I'm glad you rescued him! I can't believe that guy was going to take her to the pound like that!!! frown

#794864 - 06/17/09 12:49 AM Re: Just took in a male glider who is blind [Re: ]
GliderFun Offline
Glider Lover

Yeah I know. Definitely going for a checkup. He seems timid but he definitely knows I'm there. I think he will do alright. Ill post photos up some day maybe this week. His eyes are a blue color. I can't help but feel bad for him. He's probably never had bml. The woman was feeding him yogurt pretty much every night with veggies fruit and grubs. Luckily now he'll have a nice balanced diet.

#794893 - 06/17/09 05:08 AM Re: Just took in a male glider who is blind [Re: GliderFun]
Their_mommy Offline
Glider Guardian

Loc: Canton Tx
I to have a half blind male.
One eye is totally blue from loss of sight, and he is loosing his hearing now.
But he gets on the wheel and runs like the wind at night.
He won't use an open wheel as he falls out of it.
But use the nail trim wheel with the small holes in it because I think he can feel the outside of it to keep his balance.
They will do fine with one eye but I would take him in for a full exam to make sure the little guy is ok.
Also, he could have been neutered and the pom left in tact.
Mine where neutered with poms on but after they had already developed the bald spot.
So they both still have a little bit of bald left.
So I would suspect that yours was neutered really young.
Good luck with your new little buddy and bless you for taking him in.

#794895 - 06/17/09 05:11 AM Re: Just took in a male glider who is blind [Re: GliderFun]
Mel2mdl Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Garland, TX
I adopted a blind, HLP glider. With treatment he gained a little bit of sight back. Enough that with his friends he doesn't need special handling. But when I first got him he had a shorter cage, hammocks everywhere and the set-up of the cage could not change.

Chairman Meow
Oscar & Thomas
Sam, Diego, Delilah, Delia :wfb:
Nevada, Noel
Marcel, Dakota, Latte
Dexter, Didi, Almond, Joy and Fitz
:grey:
Karl,Lenny,Jynxie,Chamille, Kee & Mr. Beans in my heart forever.
Teaching teenagers-part joy, part guerilla warfare! :rbridge:

#794896 - 06/17/09 05:56 AM Re: Just took in a male glider who is blind [Re: Mel2mdl]
TWilson
Unregistered

My Grayson is blind, he came to me with milky blue/grey eyes. According to my vet, Grayson has full blown cataracts and the cause could be bad diet or a genetic issue but no way to tell for sure.

As far as the pom goes, your little one could have had a pom on neuter. Check his pom, see if it is empty or have your vet check.

Grayson lives in a big cage, I keep everything the same in it too. He was a single glider when I got him but after his neuter and quarantine, I intro'd him in with a Mom and daughter.

Grayson lives a full life, he LOVES his wheel and he loves playing with things he can smell. Hibiscus branches, honeysuckle vines and blossoms, eucalyptus stems and leaves, rose blooms and foraging toys with treats.

Grayson's sense of hearing and smell are incredible, I cannot sneak up on him. He will pop out from his pouch and his nose will sniff around until he finds me, I love that little man. smile

He also kept crazy hours, being as he cannot see, he doesn't know if it is day or night. When I first got him, he'd sleep a couple of hours and then be up playing and eating and this went on all day and night. However, now that he has his girls, they are getting him on a schedule. He'll only come out to play about once a day now.

I keep three water bottles in Grayson's cage, one down by the food dish, one up by a hammock and the other is close to his pouch.

These are just a few suggestions, good luck with your little one and keep us updated.

#794991 - 06/17/09 10:48 AM Re: Just took in a male glider who is blind [Re: ]
GliderFun Offline
Glider Lover

Twilson, thanks for the suggestions. I didn't think of the water bottle thing. He's pretty spunky and knows when im there. He did have a poor diet. Do you think the vet could give me an approx age?

#795349 - 06/18/09 05:38 AM Re: Just took in a male glider who is blind [Re: GliderFun]
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
You've already gotten a lot of good advice from TWilson. In addition, you can browse through this Special Needs forum - thre are a number of other threads about blind gliders where you can glean more advice. In specific, there is one you should definitely read that was started by CharlieH: Caring for Blind Gliders thumb
Best wishes to you & your new little man hug2
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
1 registered (Terry), 24 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
kinn2388, Minxies, Neversaynever, velish, ccjl1665
6300 Registered Users
Forum Stats
12 posts in the last 24hrs
6301 Members
134 Forums
8808 Topics
147009 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics