by the gliders angel
05:43 AM
gr8pots
by Terry
10/16/17 09:21 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 5
by KarenE
10/16/17 10:10 AM
Can sugar gliders live in darkness or do they need a light in the day time?
by KarenE
10/16/17 10:05 AM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Topic Options
#865327 - 11/11/09 06:51 PM purified vs. regular tap water
Aryn
Unregistered

I'm just curious if purifying the water or using bottle water is absolutely necessary?

I use purified now for my babies, but I've had a guinea pig and I only gave him tap water and he lived a long happy life (I know it's not a glider but it's still an exotic animal).

most people as far as I know give regular tap water to their animals (and dogs even drink out of the toilet, I've seen cats do it too).

So thoughts and comments?

#865333 - 11/11/09 07:02 PM Re: purified vs. regular tap water [Re: ]
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: Kansas
Sugar Gliders systems are totally different from your average domestic pet. It is safer all the way around to only offer them 'purified' water, this will ensure you that all the harmful bacteria has been removed.

Originally Posted By: blockaman
Tap or bottled Water (by blockman)
It really depends on where you live. The three "issues" that need to be addressed with tap water are:
1) Microbial activity
2) Chlorine / chloramine
3) Minerals

1) All tap water will contain bacteria. The water is treated with chlorine to that it the bacteria count meet EPA standars for drinking water (<100 cfu/mL...that's colony forming units). However, sometimes the local water supply will fail the limits on occasion. I'd recommend reading your local water report, which is tyically sent out once a year to all residents.

2) In order to kill bacteria, the water will be treated with chlorine or chloramine (relatively new) (unless you are on a well, of course). If the residual values are too high, it can be harmful. Again, refer to the water report. Also, you need to leave water out for ~24 hours to remove chlorine, if the levels are excessively high.

3) Some areas may have hard water which can leave mineral deposits. Some may also have high levels of heavy metals (also in water report).

There are a few options for dealing with these issues. If your local water is pretty good, you probably don't need to do anything. If the water quality is generally good, but you want to be safer, you can use a water filter (I use Pur) to remove residual chlorine, most bacteria, and heavy metals. If your water routinely fails EPA limits, I'd recommend bottled water. I prefer DRINKING water, since it is usually processed by reverse osmosis, but distilled should be OK too. I would not recommend spring water, since it can have issues similar to tap.

There are agents out there to decompose chlorine and bind heavy metals so that they are non-toxic (at least for fish or reptiles). There is a reptile liquid calcium supplement available that treats chlorine and heavy metals. However, since I don't know of anyone using it for sugar glides, I would not recommend it. Bottled water is much easier anyway (to me).

#865351 - 11/11/09 07:27 PM Re: purified vs. regular tap water [Re: LSardou]
KarenE Offline
Owner

Loc: LittleRock, AR USA
Excellent post, Linda. If there is any doubt about your local water system, then absolutely do not take any chances with your family or your pets.

I have always used tap water as I feel safe with our water system.

The other thing I used to do when I traveled with any of my gliders was to always take tap water with me so they would have the same water source on the road as they did at home.

Too many times I have had stomach upsets from different water while traveling tounge

#865398 - 11/11/09 09:08 PM Re: purified vs. regular tap water [Re: KarenE]
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: Vincennes, IN, USA
I refuse to drink our tap water (it has 'floaties'!!! :sick: ) so I won't give it to my gliders. I buy bottled spring water by the gallon for .82. It's what I drink too.

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."

#865427 - 11/11/09 10:22 PM Re: purified vs. regular tap water [Re: suggiemom1980]
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis

Loc: NW Missouri
I just received a letter last week from our town stating that oops they're sorry but they may have given us cancer. Ok, that's not what it said, but that's what it meant. There has been an ongoing investigation in this town for some time now and we've actually had Erin Brokovich here doing her own research into it. They have finally found that our water did indeed have levels over the maximum of a substance that is the by-product of using chlorine to purify the water. This chemical is a carcinogen (known to cause cancer) and we now have a much higher than average occurrence of brain tumors in our town. I personally only drink 1 brand of Bottled water for myself if I'm out. I don't like tap water. For the animals and myself at home, we have an under sink filtration system, so although it is out of the tap, it's actually filtered water.

"My doctrine is this: that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and we do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt." ~ Anna Sewell, English Novelist

#867402 - 11/15/09 09:20 PM Re: purified vs. regular tap water [Re: princessmegi]
Daniosis
Unregistered

I don't have a filter/water purifier, but is bottled okay? The quote up there confused me a little.

#867438 - 11/15/09 10:24 PM Re: purified vs. regular tap water [Re: ]
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: 80 acres of paradise in KS
If you are unsure of your tap water's REAL content, bottled water is an option. Or you could buy one of those "Britta" or "Pur" home water filters.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.

#867447 - 11/15/09 10:57 PM Re: purified vs. regular tap water [Re: Dancing]
chattrbabe Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Phoenix AZ
I give my guys Arrowhead bottled water. thumb

#867619 - 11/16/09 10:46 AM Re: purified vs. regular tap water [Re: chattrbabe]
WendiH
Unregistered

We have a reverse-osmosis filtration system for all the aquarium water, so now we use it for our water and glider water too. We filter it twice, in fact, because we then put it in the Pur water pitcher. It's about as pure water as one is going to get!

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
3 registered (saharasnow, sjusovare, Nanina_Bryan), 34 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
aalissa, Mio, Immelh, PipersMom, Bravo
6381 Registered Users
Forum Stats
19 posts in the last 24hrs
6382 Members
134 Forums
8893 Topics
147820 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics
Little Roxie
by kidqwik
06:57 PM
Is newspaper safe?
by Glamper
06:39 PM
Taking your glider to work
by Amanda159
05:08 PM
Fruits and Veggies
by Amanda159
05:06 PM
Seeking a Bra Baby Glider for PTSD
by Mio
10/16/17 05:32 PM
gr8pots
by Feather
10/16/17 05:20 PM
Beads wooden are they safe?
by tootles
10/14/17 06:20 PM
Can sugar gliders live in darkness or do they need a light in the day time?
by Link
10/14/17 01:53 PM
One Year
by Stef333
10/14/17 09:16 AM
Too Soon To Say Goodbye, my Lulu
by Terry
10/13/17 08:23 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! 20202922
Spencer needs your prayers/good thoughts 12464907
TEXAS 645155