Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Ladymagyver. 03/28/24 09:57 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Couple Questions #1114600
05/16/11 12:40 PM
05/16/11 12:40 PM

I
IcyMike
Unregistered
IcyMike
Unregistered
I

So I have had my glider for about a week, and I realize its still really early and that I need to be patient. However much progress has been made and my glider seems be getting used to her surroundings and me.

For example, she now will come up to my finger at night and lick the licky treats with no crabbing instead of nippping at it and running away. I have been carrying her in her bonding pouch throughout the day and she seems to be used to my voice, movements, etc. and only crabs when I move her which is understandable.

My problem: Because of my bounding pouch (Has a nylon type draw string to close the pouch) and her sleeping pouch that has medal clips to hang to the cage and is not made for carrying around on me i have to move her from pouch to pouch which she makes a PAIN!! Instead of putting my hand in the pouch to avoid her from rearing back and attacking my hand, I just carefully dump her into the different pouch, which she crabs aggressively too.

Is this the proper way to transfer her from pouch to pouch?

Should I just put my hand in the pouch and grab her with my hand, taking the attack?

I ask this because I feel that she is afraid of my "hand" and touching her but not my finger which has licky treat most of the time. So I have yet to even pet her except on the outside of the pouch. I figured if just start picking her up to move from the pouches she would get used to my hand and eventually allow me to pet her and improve the bonding?

Which method should I use? Also when she is in the bonding pouch in the day, should I occasionally open it, with a licky treat reach in there and pet her, taking the bit and making the PSST noise when she does bite?

Also I had a few more random questions:
1. Should I start incorporating tent/bathroom time? IF so do it right when she wakes up?

2. Also when I turn on the light to the room, which is far away from her cage, she becomes a little "skittish" and it startles her. I know they are nocturnal, but will she get used the the light because even with a red light it is difficult to interact with her in the dark.

Any advice would be much appreciative! Also note that she seems to be the most aggressive when she is in her pouch, possible pouch protective??

Last edited by IcyMike; 05/16/11 12:45 PM.
Re: Couple Questions [Re: ] #1114634
05/16/11 01:29 PM
05/16/11 01:29 PM
Champaign Co., Illinois
Berg Offline
Glider Lover
Berg  Offline
Glider Lover

Champaign Co., Illinois
Hi Mike,

You're right - it is still very early and a week is not a long time. She is still getting used to her surroundings, and it seems she is beginning to trust you a bit since she is taking licky treats.

She's crabbing when you move her from pouch to pouch because she is still scared - you are smart not to put your hand in there as that would scare her even more. She also is probably not very happy about having her sleep disturbed.

I would not put your hand in there yet, because that will frighten her. Carefully transferring her as you have been doing is probably best. Will the sleeping pouch fit inside the bonding pouch? That might be an option. You might also get a bonding pouch with a zipper that you can also use as the sleeping pouch. We have a couple of those and they work well, including when we want to put them back in the cage without disturbing them.

If you haven't done so already, I strongly suggest you read Bourbon's post in this forum:

Building a Relationship with Your Glider

For now, I would just let her be during the day when she is in the bonding pouch. That is her sleep time, and unless she is awake for some reason don't bother her to give her a treat. Let her get used to your voice, your smell, and her general environment. Even in the bonding pouch she will probably be a little uneasy until she feels more secure.

Regarding tent/bathroom time, it is bet after she wakes up. If she is regular about the time she wakes up, take her into the tent before she climbs out of the sleeping pouch and let her wake up in the tent. Since she is still afraid of you and your hands, getting her back into a bonding pouch will take some effort, but bribes often work.

As for the light going on, she is still unsure of her surroundings even though she is getting used to them. Keep the light level as low as possible. When you turn it on, just sit by the cage and talk to her softly. Eventually she will get used to this and won't be started every time.

It's good you are seeing progress, but a week is a very short time. Our first girl was (and still is to some extent) very skittish, and it took a couple of months before she was really comfortable with us. You are asking all the right questions!

Good luck. I'm sure others will chime in here as well.

-Steve-

:grey: Sprite, Misty, Ghost, and Bandit

and all those who have crossed over the Rainbow Bridge
gangel Virga, Cirrus, Foehn, Pascal, Flurry, Case, Rossby, Breeze, and CB

The Glider Chronicles blog
Re: Couple Questions [Re: ] #1114691
05/16/11 03:02 PM
05/16/11 03:02 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
thumb good advice!

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Couple Questions [Re: ] #1114700
05/16/11 03:15 PM
05/16/11 03:15 PM

I
IcyMike
Unregistered
IcyMike
Unregistered
I

Ok so the sleeping pouch does fit into the bonding pouch, so I have her with me now. Much easier this way thanks for the tip! She doesnt like me giving her treats while she is in her pouch so I guess I will avoid that for a while and just give them to her when she is up and about and avoid touching her and scaring her. I am excited about tent time tonight as it will be the first time for us.

Thanks for the advice smile

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (mechnut450), 558 guests, and 64 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,161
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,630 TEXAS
679,102 OHIO
487,219 OKLAHOMA
432,217 UTAH
321,734 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024