Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Misinformed in Massachusetts. #1297590
10/15/12 05:35 AM
10/15/12 05:35 AM
New Hampshire
D
Del Offline OP
Del  Offline OP
D

New Hampshire
Already had my post answered, basically I was misinformed about the laws in MA and I ended up having to take my sugar gliders to family in New Hampshire.

(Pet store owner had told me they were legalized, turns out there is still one more step of the process)

Lesson learned, don't believe everything you hear even if the source is reliable.

Last edited by Del; 10/15/12 08:01 AM.
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: Del] #1297594
10/15/12 06:08 AM
10/15/12 06:08 AM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
I think you should be ok, if you know for sure they won't be confiscated. A lot of people own gliders where they're illegal.

I'll be hoping it passes that they'll be fully legal soon. And look at it this way, it may just be illegal to sell them, after all the pet store has kept their gliders, just not advertising them for sale atm.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: Del] #1297595
10/15/12 06:24 AM
10/15/12 06:24 AM
New Hampshire
D
Del Offline OP
Del  Offline OP
D

New Hampshire
I don't know for sure. All I know is the pet store still has their two and no one has taken them, so I'm going to be keeping in close contact with the owner because I'd imagine they'd go after theirs first if anything.

I was trying to find an article or something about gliders being confiscated in MA and couldn't come up with anything...just a couple from Hawaii and one other state I can't remember. I looked up archives on local newspaper websites, googled every combination of "sugar gliders confiscated in MA", "Sugar gliders seized in MA" and came back with 0 stories.

I doubt anyone would go through the trouble of taking away such a harmless pet, but I am still very worried. I think I'll wait a few weeks and see if it's true that it's about to be passed, and go from there I guess...

Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: Del] #1297596
10/15/12 06:29 AM
10/15/12 06:29 AM
New Hampshire
D
Del Offline OP
Del  Offline OP
D

New Hampshire
I can't imagine someone breaking our door down either, I'd assume we'd get a letter or something, and if that happens I'll just go live with family in NH for a while until we can find a new place tounge

But that is worst case scenario of course. Hopefully we can stay put and no one will bother us.

Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: Del] #1297602
10/15/12 07:32 AM
10/15/12 07:32 AM
Maine
IslandGliders Offline
Glider Addict
IslandGliders  Offline
Glider Addict

Maine
I haven't even heard that it's "on the books," much less that it was super close to passing. But who knows? dunno This is the problem with taking a pet store's word for it: they have something to sell you and thus they are a bias source of information.

I can't tell you what to do. It is up to you. I will say that I won't sell to people in illegal states because unlike you, I HAVE heard of gliders getting confiscated.

I am not sure on GC's policy on members in illegal states. You might want to remove your location in your profile.

Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: Del] #1297603
10/15/12 07:48 AM
10/15/12 07:48 AM
New Hampshire
D
Del Offline OP
Del  Offline OP
D

New Hampshire
Another source has told me that they are alright to own, but not to sell right now...I'm just really bummed out because I've had a lot of reason to trust the sources I've gotten it from, the man has always been really knowledgeable about legal/illegal animals in the past. I remember over a year ago asking him about Sugar Gliders and he's been saying that they are fighting to make them legal for some time in Massachusetts, and I absolutely can not imagine him bringing them into his store unless he had a great deal of confidence in something. I'll probably go over there later and ask what the deal is.

I feel sick to my stomach about this whole thing. I think my best option right now is to let them stay at a family members house in New Hampshire until I have more information on it. At the moment I feel like a dirty criminal and I really don't think I should have to feel that way.

Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: Del] #1297604
10/15/12 07:58 AM
10/15/12 07:58 AM
New Hampshire
D
Del Offline OP
Del  Offline OP
D

New Hampshire
Just called up a relative and they said they have no problems taking them until I find out exactly what the deal is, thank you all for the feedback.

Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: Del] #1297638
10/15/12 11:11 AM
10/15/12 11:11 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
If you go to this link, it explains the laws concerning all animals in MA.
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/wildlife/living/keeping_wildlife.htm

Quote:
WILDLIFE REQUIRING A DFW PERMIT

Any species in this category requires a DFW permit and may not be kept as a pet. Examples of animals requiring a permit include endangered and threatened wildlife, venomous snakes, crocodilians, monitor lizards, monkeys, African servals, sugar gliders,.....

The issue here is they are NOT issuing any permits.

Quote:
Permits are not issued for keeping these species as pets. Permits in this category are issued only for certain scientific, educational, commercial, or other specific reasons.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: Del] #1297641
10/15/12 11:16 AM
10/15/12 11:16 AM
New Hampshire
D
Del Offline OP
Del  Offline OP
D

New Hampshire
Thank you, I had already edited my thread, and had all my questions answered already.

Pretty much a pet store had told me they had legalized them, I've trusted the source for a very long time and never doubted it, turned out he was mistaken (he didn't lie, he was misinformed himself too I guess)

I've made arrangements for family to take them in New Hampshire (literally 5 minutes away, so lame that it's perfectly fine in walking distance from me), and am well aware of the laws and won't continue to put myself or the animals at risk. My boyfriend and I are probably going to relocate to New Hampshire if they aren't legalized soon, it wouldn't be a very hard move for us.

Thank you for the quick facts though, much appreciated!

Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: Del] #1297642
10/15/12 11:22 AM
10/15/12 11:22 AM
New Hampshire
D
Del Offline OP
Del  Offline OP
D

New Hampshire
But, from what the employee at the store had said to me yesterday (after realizing they were mistaken) was one of their people were at the signing of the legalization process, and they basically have it ready, it just needs the signature of one person. That's what I got from an employee though, I'll talk to the owner though and see what the deal is...Hopefully they'll pass it soon and this entire mess can be a thing in the past...but for now, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: Del] #1297824
10/15/12 10:02 PM
10/15/12 10:02 PM
NH
louissa Offline
Glider Lover
louissa  Offline
Glider Lover

NH
Del, unfortunately it is still illegal to own them in MA and at least according to my USDA official that licenses me in NH and covers areas ranging from NY where he's based and across the New England area, any pet store selling them even in a legal state in his jurisdiction would require licensing for them seperate to what they need as a pet store because they are not a regular domestic pet.

On a plus, you should definitely look into moving over the border to NH, we did it 6 years ago and never looked back, no sales tax, lower crime rate and we have much prettier scenery and you can have your suggies here!! smile

If life hands you sugar, then fill the world with sweet lollipops.
Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: Del] #1297878
10/16/12 01:37 AM
10/16/12 01:37 AM
New Hampshire
D
Del Offline OP
Del  Offline OP
D

New Hampshire
Yeah, we would definitely be saving some money moving there, we're literally a short walk away from NH anyway. We're renting right now, so it's not like we have anything keeping us here. Only downside is our landlord is extremely nice and lets us have a lot more freedom than most would. Though, I think it is time for us to look into a house...and NH would be an ideal place to look right now for us.

The pet store said that they were misinformed as well, and their gliders are still in the store but not for sale...he said that the person needed to sign it to pass it should be signing it before the end of the year...That's not too far away...So I don't think we will pack up and move unless this all falls through.

For now, my gliders are located literally down the street from me at a family members house in NH. So stupid that I can't just have them in my own home without worry, especially since every state surrounding us can own them, it's tormenting to MA residents.

Anyways, hopefully the source this guy is getting his info from is accurate, I've been waiting for their legalization for around 11 years (when i first got into owning flying squirrels, which are somewhat similar as a pet...and legal in MA) I'm not mad at the store or anything for misinforming me, just extremely disappointed, and I think a lot of people really got overly excited on this one, myself included.

Here is a direct quote from their facebook page,
"To this date the bill has been drafted and the legislature is willing to approve it. I was in touch with the state last week, and although it's unofficially approved the actual vote has not happened yet. We in Massachusetts are one of only two states I know of where they are illegal still. The main reason for this is that Ma. has an "exempt" list.This means that any animal is illegal to own in the Commonwealth unless it is exempt.So to legalize any animal,a group must lobby to get a bill passed then it must be approved by the legislature.Obviously it is a painstaking process in this state. I was told that the bill will be signed within the year. And so we wait......"

I've already gotten my hopes way up :|

Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: Del] #1297881
10/16/12 01:57 AM
10/16/12 01:57 AM
New Hampshire
D
Del Offline OP
Del  Offline OP
D

New Hampshire
I also know a lot of people who live in MA that have gotten them from all kinds of sources in other bordering states, and they never even knew it was against the law...I really do think it's about time they were legalized here because people have them anyway, and they're so easily available. I don't think it's fair that people can get them without even knowing what they are doing is criminal. Though, I do think people should be educated when buying an animal, I don't think many would consider it to be a crime with how available they are in pet stores in the area.

Here on the MA NH border, the closest pet stores to us are in NH. You don't even register it in your mind that what they're selling there may not be okay down the street, I'm sure a lot of people are clueless.

Same thing with Chameleons. Bet most people didn't know they're illegal to own here, but all of the bordering state pet stores sell them...I imagine there's hundreds of them in MA and their owners have never even thought that they could be illegal. I've always wanted a panther chameleon, too. (another reason to move lol)

I do imagine that anyone caught in MA would get a warning to get the animals out of the state first, since most people wouldn't even know they were breaking the law to begin with seeing how available these pets are...I'm guessing it's somewhere around a $500 fine and 30 day notice or something but I can't find anything online about a personal story.

I don't get how it's legal to own a Toucan in MA though. Anything more 'exotic' than a toucan is beyond me.

Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: Del] #1297951
10/16/12 11:57 AM
10/16/12 11:57 AM
NH
louissa Offline
Glider Lover
louissa  Offline
Glider Lover

NH
Del unfortunately I know exactly which pet store now you're referring to and he's fully aware of the law AND he's also fully aware that gliders are illegal in MA, CA, PA, AK and Hawaii. Unfortunately he's got caught misleading customers and is using "I didn't realise" as an excuse.

I am so so sorry you were misled, as a pet store owner it is his job to know the laws and rules pertaining to the animals he sells and he's also aware that he needs a special license through the USDA to sell sugar gliders, except knowing they are illegal he understands quite clearly he wouldn't be able to get one and even applying for one would get him in serious trouble.

I understand you feel some loyalty to the store owner if you've gone there a long time, but look at it another way. If he sold you illegal drugs (medical marijuana) because he told you they were now legalized and you were pulled over and arrested for possession and thrown in jail, would you feel as loyal? Breaking the law is breaking the law and ignorance of the law for a pet store especially is no excuse.

I really hope they do put through legislation to legalize them but until they do he needs to stop putting his customers and these sugar gliders at risk.

Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: Del] #1298052
10/16/12 08:44 PM
10/16/12 08:44 PM
New Hampshire
D
Del Offline OP
Del  Offline OP
D

New Hampshire
I know ignorance isn't an excuse but I can't help but feel bad for the guy. As soon as it was clarified that they were in fact not legal like he had be told, he took the price tags down. The only thing that really bothers me is I've been celebrating and telling everyone that they were legalized because I would of never doubted this guy. So now, a bunch of people have heard from me that they were legalized and I'm the one that has misinformed even more people. He's always been on top of things when it comes to illegal and legal fish we could own in MA, and his pet care has always been really knowledgeable.

I don't want to embarrass him, he's a human being too and I really don't think he planned on misleading anyone. I definitely don't want to see his business damaged by the incident, after all it's a family business and I'd much rather buy my fish and supplies from small places like that over petco/petsmart.

I'm not sure if I would compare it to drugs, I think if someone had told me drugs were legalized and tried to sell me some, I'd definitely 100% double check on that one (not that I do drugs, but if I did lol) Being told a tiny critter that not many people even know exists was legalized as a pet by a guy who I felt was really knowledgeable in the subject didn't really seem like something to doubt.

Oh well, I learned a lesson from it, I am sure the store did, too.

Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: Del] #1302631
11/08/12 02:38 PM
11/08/12 02:38 PM
Concord, NH
cathy1229 Offline
Glider Guardian
cathy1229  Offline
Glider Guardian

Concord, NH
Just a note, what should I do if I just found out that my breeder that I am getting my suggies from is selling to people in MA and she knows they are illegal there?

feel kind of strange because I know they are illegal in MA and I slipped and said something last night when I was there bonding with my suggies.

She gave me gave me a not so nice look because the other clients were looking at her. I probably shouldn't have said anything but I don't want anything to happen to those gliders. The breeder said she already had to take back some that she had sold a few months ago because a neighbor called the animal control officer.

Cathy

Wife to a very special man &

Proud Mommy of:
1 aussie/bordercollie/husky/plotthound Wimpy
1 Sun Conure Cisco
3 Amazing fuzzbutts Akiah (my little princess) & her brother Acoose,Princess 'Tudie, and Tochee
Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: Del] #1302633
11/08/12 02:49 PM
11/08/12 02:49 PM
Tiverton, RI
GliderMom Offline
Out of Pouch
GliderMom  Offline
Out of Pouch

Tiverton, RI
IMO I would say something to the breeder. I am a straight out kind of person & would like someone to say something to me if I was in the wrong. He/she should not be selling an animal to someone if they no better. I personally would care to much for an animal that is in my care to sell to someone who is in an "illegal" state. Im not sure what happens if they get caught, if the animal gets confiscated, or if you get a fine, but its not worth it to the animal to have to be rehomed or put down in such a case. All because the breeder is neglectful.

Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: Del] #1302642
11/08/12 03:34 PM
11/08/12 03:34 PM
Concord, NH
cathy1229 Offline
Glider Guardian
cathy1229  Offline
Glider Guardian

Concord, NH
I did say something to the breeder about this. She said that she is aware that it is "about" to be passed and is going to the next hearing to show them a sugar glider and "educate" them.

But I told her in the meantime that selling into an illegal state is not the right thing to do. Not only is she and the people buying the gliders breaking the current law, but she is endangering the welfare of the gliders.

She didn't seem too concerned, stating that they won't know they have them unless someone reports it. I was very upset by this attitude.

Cathy

Proud Mommy of:
1 Sun Conure Cisco
3 Amazing fuzzbutts Akiah (my little princess) & her brother Acoose,Princess 'Tudie, and Tochee
Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: Del] #1302822
11/09/12 01:15 AM
11/09/12 01:15 AM
Butte, Mt. USA
lilangels Offline
Glider Addict
lilangels  Offline
Glider Addict

Butte, Mt. USA
Cathy I have to say I would not be buying from this breeder. She is flat out saying she doesn't care all that much about the welfare of her joeys.

Connie: soon to be wife to Harold, mom to 3 children, 2 precious kitties, and my treasured gliders.
Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: cathy1229] #1302835
11/09/12 03:29 AM
11/09/12 03:29 AM
NH
louissa Offline
Glider Lover
louissa  Offline
Glider Lover

NH
[quote=cathy1229] I did say something to the breeder about this. She said that she is aware that it is "about" to be passed and is going to the next hearing to show them a sugar glider and "educate" them. [quote]

Cathy, unfortunately that's the "standard" response when you call out breeders and pet stores doing this, they either plead total ignorance or make up some excuse about it soon becoming legalized as if that somehow makes it ok .. it infuriates me that they care so little about sugar gliders that they'd rather pocket the money than consider the animals welfare or indeed the customer that could be prosecuted .. As a breeder just over the border in NH I will not sell to anyone in an illegal state and I ask for drivers licenses as proof of residence of any adopter ..

Last edited by louissa; 11/09/12 03:31 AM.

Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: Del] #1302874
11/09/12 10:03 AM
11/09/12 10:03 AM
Concord, NH
cathy1229 Offline
Glider Guardian
cathy1229  Offline
Glider Guardian

Concord, NH
I would back out of my deal with this breeder except for the fact that I have $300 deposit on joeys with her before I knew she was doing this. If I back out I lose my deposit. Unfortunately I can not afford to lose $300 and then go purchase from another breeder.

Just know that I will not be buying from her again in the future if I decide to add to my suggies. I also will not recommend her to others.

Cathy

Proud Mommy of:
1 Sun Conure Cisco
Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: Del] #1302894
11/09/12 11:09 AM
11/09/12 11:09 AM
Tiverton, RI
GliderMom Offline
Out of Pouch
GliderMom  Offline
Out of Pouch

Tiverton, RI
I dont blame you for not backing out then. $300 is alot to lose! Im glad to hear that in the future you will not buy from her. Its sad how some people are just out for the $. Good Luck with your new baby when you recieve him/her!!

Re: Misinformed in Massachusetts. [Re: Del] #1337204
04/07/13 08:24 PM
04/07/13 08:24 PM
Georgia, USA
V
vintageinez Offline
Out of Pouch
vintageinez  Offline
Out of Pouch
V

Georgia, USA
Hey everyone!

So, I know this topic was abandoned a while ago, but I figured I'd let everyone know. I'm a documentary filmmaker who is currently making a doc on sugar gliders, hence why I'm a member of this site. I just wanted to let everyone know that, as part of my doc, I interviewed a higher up in the Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife and found out that sugar gliders are about to be legalized there! No official date yet, but it should happen within the next few months. Apparently, all that had to be done was that someone had to create a formal petition for sugar gliders to be considered as a legal pet there and it went through, no problem. Get excited, everyone!

Inëz

:grey: Apollo :wfb: Artemis :leu: Data :plat: Lore

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 393 guests, and 110 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,597 TEXAS
679,084 OHIO
487,175 OKLAHOMA
432,184 UTAH
321,698 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024