Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New glider mom, hello! #1405828
12/18/16 11:55 AM
12/18/16 11:55 AM
New jersey
M
Mama1987 Offline OP
Mama1987  Offline OP
M

New jersey
Hey all!! How's it going? So next weekend I'll become a new glider mom, completely brand spanking new to the whole thing,and wanted to ask a few questions to those of you who had done this before. I've done a ton of research starting back in like '09 when I first saw these real life Pokémon, but books can only say so much.

My (potential) glider is a single female who's only a yr old and hasn't had a cage mate since her original owner got her. I'm not too sure why, or what led to her not having cage mates, but when she gets here we'll shop for her new friend.
(I'm thinking she'll have a mate first week of January when I'm not so broke lol.)
Her current owner says she barks a lot looking for others so I'm guessing introductions won't be so hard, and she loves human affection (I'm guessing since she's so lonely). That being said, gimme advice you wished someone had given YOU before you brought your babies

First night home and what to expect? I know all the techniques with having stuff that smells like me in the cage for her, but should I completely leave her alone or can i talk to her through the cage? I don't want to stress her.

When should I begin handling? Apparently she loves her bonding pouches and has no issues climbing right in, which makes me happy to hear but I'll know more when she's actually here.

Tent time: got us a huge instant tent big enough to walk around and such bc I hate tight spaces lol
What do you put in the tent to make it super fun for them? Anything or just yourselves and a chair? (I over think everything so forgive me if my questions are crazy)

Happy cagemates: I've read a ton of the articles on intros and quarantine so I'm not too worried about that going awry, but is quarantine for a whole 30 days absolutely mandatory? Of course both will go to the vet to get looked at but just wondering if the 30 days a solid rule lol
As for her cagemates, do you think seeing as she's still only just a year old, would a Joey be OK to bring home? Because they're so effing cute I want to die and would love to have a Joey. (I know and read that males shouldn't be around Joey's bc the Joey's to small to defend itself, but has anyone had a female and introduced a Joey and have it WORK?)
Also "scout" as she's called, comes with a pretty beautifully decked out cage, can both sugar gliders live in there after quarantine? I don't want to have to vbuy yet another cage because I'll have a total of three then.

toys: anyone have great websites they go to for the fun stuff? I so far use etsy for the cage stuff. But if anyone has cheaper options, hook a girl up. Or if you yourself has great stuff you sell, I'll be happy to take a look and support your store!

I'm good on food and have that taken care of, just had very specific questions that I couldn't find a concise answer to.

Share your info, share your TIPS! I wanna hear it all, I know about the links on this sight I've read them, but I love hearing stories and getting tips given directly to me lol for you think I could benefit from it, let me hear it💞

But don't be negative or mean to me, we all start somewhere

**can't seem to add pictures of her or the cage HALP

Last edited by Mama1987; 12/18/16 11:58 AM.
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Mama1987] #1405830
12/18/16 01:01 PM
12/18/16 01:01 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Mama1987
Hey all!! How's it going? So next weekend I'll become a new glider mom, completely brand spanking new to the whole thing,and wanted to ask a few questions to those of you who had done this before. I've done a ton of research starting back in like '09 when I first saw these real life Pokémon, but books can only say so much.

First Welcome to GliderCENTRAL!
I will comment to your questions here in red.

My (potential) glider is a single female who's only a yr old and hasn't had a cage mate since her original owner got her. I'm not too sure why, or what led to her not having cage mates, but when she gets here we'll shop for her new friend.
(I'm thinking she'll have a mate first week of January when I'm not so broke lol.)
Her current owner says she barks a lot looking for others so I'm guessing introductions won't be so hard, and she loves human affection (I'm guessing since she's so lonely). That being said, gimme advice you wished someone had given YOU before you brought your babies

I guess I wish someone had told me how addicting they are. LOL That is why there are over 30 here including the rescues.

First night home and what to expect? I know all the techniques with having stuff that smells like me in the cage for her, but should I completely leave her alone or can i talk to her through the cage? I don't want to stress her.

You can talk to her and give her treats through the cage bars if she isn't stressed. She will have a lot of new smells to check out in your home.

When should I begin handling? Apparently she loves her bonding pouches and has no issues climbing right in, which makes me happy to hear but I'll know more when she's actually here.

Continue with the bonding pouch. Specially if she likes it.

Tent time: got us a huge instant tent big enough to walk around and such bc I hate tight spaces lol
What do you put in the tent to make it super fun for them? Anything or just yourselves and a chair? (I over think everything so forgive me if my questions are crazy)

You can go to St. Vincent De Paul or Goodwill and get childrens toys, such as: barn yard, castle, pirates boat. The play school stuff. You may want to go with a bean bag chair or a cushion to sit on instead of a chair.

Happy cagemates: I've read a ton of the articles on intros and quarantine so I'm not too worried about that going awry, but is quarantine for a whole 30 days absolutely mandatory? Of course both will go to the vet to get looked at but just wondering if the 30 days a solid rule lol

I have passed up quarantine when they have had a good vet visit with clean fecal and test for Giardia, as just smelling another glider on you or in the house will cause anxiety.

As for her cagemates, do you think seeing as she's still only just a year old, would a Joey be OK to bring home? Because they're so effing cute I want to die and would love to have a Joey. (I know and read that males shouldn't be around Joey's bc the Joey's to small to defend itself, but has anyone had a female and introduced a Joey and have it WORK?)

Sometimes it is easier to introduce a joey to an adult than two adults. You will just have to watch their body language and how they get along. Just remember to do introductions in a neutral area, and if all goes well deep clean the cage they will share and put two sleeping pouches in, just in case they have a tiff.

I recommend doing introductions on the weekend early in the morning on Saturday so that you have the weekend to listen for problems.

Also "scout" as she's called, comes with a pretty beautifully decked out cage, can both sugar gliders live in there after quarantine? I don't want to have to vbuy yet another cage because I'll have a total of three then.

Yes, they will share your big cage once they are introduced.

toys: anyone have great websites they go to for the fun stuff? I so far use etsy for the cage stuff. But if anyone has cheaper options, hook a girl up. Or if you yourself has great stuff you sell, I'll be happy to take a look and support your store!

Check out the classified forum down below that is where the vendors list their stuff.

I'm good on food and have that taken care of, just had very specific questions that I couldn't find a concise answer to.

Just out of curiosity what diet are you going to feed?

Share your info, share your TIPS! I wanna hear it all, I know about the links on this sight I've read them, but I love hearing stories and getting tips given directly to me lol for you think I could benefit from it, let me hear it💞

But don't be negative or mean to me, we all start somewhere

**can't seem to add pictures of her or the cage HALP

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Feather] #1405831
12/18/16 01:10 PM
12/18/16 01:10 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
:welcomegc:

Feather has given you some wonderful information.

Welcome to our family.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Feather] #1405832
12/18/16 01:37 PM
12/18/16 01:37 PM
New jersey
M
Mama1987 Offline OP
Mama1987  Offline OP
M

New jersey
Thank you for your Response! I like the critter love products along with fresh foods, Iso that a good one?

Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Mama1987] #1405833
12/18/16 02:11 PM
12/18/16 02:11 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
:welcomegc:

You got great answers already. Yes Critter Love is a very good diet.

You can also search for DIY toy making and if you sew, fleece furnishings as well as shop with vendors. I do a mix, usually I shop for fleece furnishings with vendors and a few toys here and there (because they make awesome toys), but I also enjoy making toys, and that as well as shopping for your glider(s) is also addictive, lol. I did get a sewing machine and tried to sew, but I don't really enjoy sewing as much as I hoped and I don't really feel happy with my product, lol, so I'll mostly use a vendor from now on for those.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Terry] #1405834
12/18/16 02:56 PM
12/18/16 02:56 PM
New jersey
M
Mama1987 Offline OP
Mama1987  Offline OP
M

New jersey
Thank you all for the welcome! I'm counting down the days til she's here and we can get her a cage buddy

Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Mama1987] #1405847
12/19/16 06:16 AM
12/19/16 06:16 AM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
Hey there, Mama....welcome to the madness. There's a lot more experience out there than I have, but I will share what I have found helpful.

1) Make yourself a tinfoil hat. You can make it discreet, by say, just lining the inside of a baseball cap with Reynold's Wrap. This will give you some resistance to their mental domination--but not complete.
You may still find yourself compulsively ordering things online for them. Savor your last few days of free will.

2) Bravo on getting her a mate. (Castaway, vs. Blue Lagoon) And twice the fun too! They are so much happier in groups.

3) First night--have a selection of high value treats ready. Feast her like a princess through the bars as soon as she'll take food from you. Otherwise, try not to take her out of the cage--until you observe her show interest, and move toward you, as you approach the cage. Won't take long if you are laying on the treats.
Cut yogies into halves or quarters, and other treats likewise to conserve.
You want to avoid an escape/chase/grab situation. From personal experience, having to chase down a loose glider and grab them, hurts your relationship--especially early on.

4) No Chase, No Grab; however, Coax, Lure, Herd, Trick, Trap--all fair game. Gliders seem a bit like cats, in that they don't like to go anywhere unless they think it was their idea.
If you must grab them do it with a small fleece blanket, or a towel. This helps dis-associate your hands with the grabbing action.

5) ***Never*** call them "Rodents". A turd in your coffee is just the beginning...

6) Change your computer password frequently.

Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: TwoDog] #1405855
12/19/16 02:46 PM
12/19/16 02:46 PM
New jersey
M
Mama1987 Offline OP
Mama1987  Offline OP
M

New jersey
LOL THANK YOU!! your response was hilarious, but also very informative! It's an exciting tim in my household for sure.

Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: TwoDog] #1405869
12/20/16 07:57 AM
12/20/16 07:57 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: ComradeFluffy
Hey there, Mama....welcome to the madness. There's a lot more experience out there than I have, but I will share what I have found helpful.

1) Make yourself a tinfoil hat. You can make it discreet, by say, just lining the inside of a baseball cap with Reynold's Wrap. This will give you some resistance to their mental domination--but not complete.
You may still find yourself compulsively ordering things online for them. Savor your last few days of free will.

2) Bravo on getting her a mate. (Castaway, vs. Blue Lagoon) And twice the fun too! They are so much happier in groups.

3) First night--have a selection of high value treats ready. Feast her like a princess through the bars as soon as she'll take food from you. Otherwise, try not to take her out of the cage--until you observe her show interest, and move toward you, as you approach the cage. Won't take long if you are laying on the treats.
Cut yogies into halves or quarters, and other treats likewise to conserve.
You want to avoid an escape/chase/grab situation. From personal experience, having to chase down a loose glider and grab them, hurts your relationship--especially early on.

4) No Chase, No Grab; however, Coax, Lure, Herd, Trick, Trap--all fair game. Gliders seem a bit like cats, in that they don't like to go anywhere unless they think it was their idea.
If you must grab them do it with a small fleece blanket, or a towel. This helps dis-associate your hands with the grabbing action.

5) ***Never*** call them "Rodents". A turd in your coffee is just the beginning...

6) Change your computer password frequently.
OMG! Too Much! shakehead

Kimberley
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Mama1987] #1405871
12/20/16 08:08 AM
12/20/16 08:08 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
As you can tell, we do like to have a little fun here, but please when it comes to your glider the first night and so on with bonding, like Mr Fluffy said, your new glider needs to set the pace for the bonding process. Our first one was fairly easy it only took a few weeks, compared to the second one which took 9 months (she had trust issues with everything).

Please keep us posted on your progress and we love pics!

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: TwoDog] #1405875
12/20/16 11:58 AM
12/20/16 11:58 AM
Free Like the Wind!
Stef333 Offline
Glider Explorer
Stef333  Offline
Glider Explorer

Free Like the Wind!
I love this post. Thanks for the laughs, ComradeFluffy! smile

~Stef

:grey: Yoda (Yodins) :grey: Jabberwinky (Winklefritz)
Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Mama1987] #1405877
12/20/16 01:22 PM
12/20/16 01:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I would love to post a pic of scout and her cage, maybe get some feedback back on what can change what can stay if necessary, but had issues loading pics I'll try again

Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Anonymous] #1405878
12/20/16 01:27 PM
12/20/16 01:27 PM
New jersey
M
Mama1987 Offline OP
Mama1987  Offline OP
M

New jersey
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
I would love to post a pic of scout and her cage, maybe get some feedback back on what can change what can stay if necessary, but had issues loading pics I'll try again

Oops this is me lol

Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Mama1987] #1405879
12/20/16 01:54 PM
12/20/16 01:54 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA

Sugar Glider Help

Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: KarenE] #1405881
12/20/16 02:33 PM
12/20/16 02:33 PM
New jersey
M
Mama1987 Offline OP
Mama1987  Offline OP
M

New jersey
Originally Posted By: KarenE

Thank you so much but for some reason it keeps refreshing and totally not allowing me to post.

Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Mama1987] #1405882
12/20/16 03:49 PM
12/20/16 03:49 PM
New jersey
M
Mama1987 Offline OP
Mama1987  Offline OP
M

New jersey
Here's her cage! Does that wheel look right???

Attached Files
IMG_3579.PNG (17 downloads)
Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Mama1987] #1405885
12/20/16 04:49 PM
12/20/16 04:49 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
If she can get into it then it is fine.

Kimberley

Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Feather] #1405888
12/20/16 06:11 PM
12/20/16 06:11 PM
New jersey
M
Mama1987 Offline OP
Mama1987  Offline OP
M

New jersey
Originally Posted By: Feather
If she can get into it then it is fine.

I was mainly concerned about the holes in the wheel and her feet. Seems she has a lot of space

Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Mama1987] #1405889
12/20/16 06:12 PM
12/20/16 06:12 PM
New jersey
M
Mama1987 Offline OP
Mama1987  Offline OP
M

New jersey
Here she is!!

Attached Files
IMG_3578.PNG (28 downloads)
Isn't she so cute!
Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Mama1987] #1405904
12/21/16 07:49 AM
12/21/16 07:49 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Awwwww such a sweet face!

Thank you for sharing!

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Mama1987] #1405916
12/22/16 06:45 PM
12/22/16 06:45 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Originally Posted By: Mama1987
Here she is!!
She's adorable!

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Hutch] #1405917
12/22/16 11:30 PM
12/22/16 11:30 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
mlove She's so pretty!

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Mama1987] #1405960
12/25/16 12:09 AM
12/25/16 12:09 AM
New jersey
M
Mama1987 Offline OP
Mama1987  Offline OP
M

New jersey
Thank you all so much! Will update everyone when she gets here!

Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Mama1987] #1405996
12/26/16 11:28 AM
12/26/16 11:28 AM
New jersey
M
Mama1987 Offline OP
Mama1987  Offline OP
M

New jersey
Looks like the guy who I was adopting her from is no longer following through on the adoption. He hasn't answered me and renewed the craigslist ad. Super SUPER bummed as she's all alone and I was already looking to purchase her mate.
Part of me is almost glad bc now I can adopt a pair and not deal with quarantine but I had my heart set on her coming home tomorrow

Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Mama1987] #1405998
12/26/16 11:58 AM
12/26/16 11:58 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Could be he had multiple offers and took the highest $$ or whoever could pick her up the quickest upset You just never know with Craigslist shakehead

You will end up with just the perfect gliders for you agree

Sugar Glider Help

Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Mama1987] #1406557
01/16/17 08:18 PM
01/16/17 08:18 PM
Canada
J
joanneM Offline
In Pouch
joanneM  Offline
In Pouch
J

Canada
That happened to me too at first. I chatted with someone about 2 boys and suddenly he stopped texting. It worked out in the end because I got my 2 girls.

Joanne
Nyx :grey: and her sister Nova :grey: Mew :plat:
Re: New glider mom, hello! [Re: Mama1987] #1406573
01/17/17 04:46 AM
01/17/17 04:46 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
That IS a bummer frown I'm surprised he renewed the ad as willing as you were to purchase. Makes me wonder if legit, but never know. Good luck on finding a pair smile

The Pet Glider has '"Rockin' Retirees" that come as a set & seem like pretty good deals for older gliders, if that's not out of your planned budget.

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024