Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
perfect pocket pets #1406261
01/05/17 04:13 PM
01/05/17 04:13 PM
OK
Pasley Offline OP
In Pouch
Pasley  Offline OP
In Pouch

OK
I have read a few time about a company called perfect pocket pet.
It has all been bad. I am a first time glider mom. Who is (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets and why are they bad. I have never heard of them, until i read the post on here.

I do not want to get another baby from someone that is not safe to have them.

I was lucky i found GC before i get my baby.

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: perfect pocket pets [Re: Pasley] #1406266
01/06/17 12:25 AM
01/06/17 12:25 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Pocket Pets is actually a mill broker. They don't breed. They use venues like home shows and county fairs to sell gliders.

Some people get lucky and have no problems with the gliders they get and others have ended up with dead gliders.

They have made some changes in what they do but we do still try to steer people away from them.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: perfect pocket pets [Re: Pasley] #1406285
01/06/17 11:27 AM
01/06/17 11:27 AM
OK
Pasley Offline OP
In Pouch
Pasley  Offline OP
In Pouch

OK
ok thank you.

Re: perfect pocket pets [Re: Pasley] #1406292
01/06/17 12:03 PM
01/06/17 12:03 PM
Free Like the Wind!
Stef333 Offline
Glider Explorer
Stef333  Offline
Glider Explorer

Free Like the Wind!
I got my two babies from Pocket Pets in October. I met PP at a fair in September and made my purchase before doing any research (live and learn).

Although Pocket Pets' business practices are atrocious (false marketing, poor organization, bad communication, etc.), the gliders I got from them are both happy and healthy.

If I adopt more gliders in the future, it will definitely be from a local breeder rather than through PP again.

:grey: Yoda (Yodins) :grey: Jabberwinky (Winklefritz)
Re: perfect pocket pets [Re: Pasley] #1406297
01/06/17 01:44 PM
01/06/17 01:44 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
I too have a PP glider. Fiona was an impulse.

Hubby has always wanted to catch a chipmunk or ground squirrel. I told him absolutely not!

We were working in Midland/ Odessa, TX, we spotted these lovely creatures at a county fair. It was my idea, hubby wasn't sure. Took a walk, came back, and after a swipe of the credit card, we were uncertain owners of a little crabbing pouch.

Within 24 hours, we were in awe of this tiny beast.

We did our research and found Glider Central and we haven't looked back.

We got Dot off Craigslist which is well documented here somewhere and a whole nother story.

But if it weren't for them being at the fair, I would never have known about a sugar glider...

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: perfect pocket pets [Re: Ladymagyver] #1406452
01/12/17 10:23 AM
01/12/17 10:23 AM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Actually, I need to make a correction....

Quote:
Pocket Pets is actually a mill broker.

Pocket Pets is a Broker, not a mill broker.

A mill broker collects their animals from Mills. Pocket Pets no longer does that and has not done that for years.

They currently get their joeys from breeders across the country, some of which are in our glider community that we all purchase from but they just choose to rename anonymous.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: perfect pocket pets [Re: Pasley] #1406458
01/12/17 02:11 PM
01/12/17 02:11 PM
indiana
BYK_Chainsaw Offline
Glider Explorer
BYK_Chainsaw  Offline
Glider Explorer

indiana
we got our first two gliders from Pocket Pets. My problem came about because they create more of a pressure impulse buy. My wife was told "buy now or I wont be back till next year". They also said things that most owners would consider very inaccurate or the seller just outright lied. we asked the seller if he lied and he said he did.

So I don't have any problems with the gliders we got from them, and some new ones we got as rescues online we are very sure are Pocket Pets also, (we think 6 of our 10 are Pocket Pets) but they pressure/impulse, give iffy information or outright lie. (example: pp pamphlet suggest you can bond your glider to your dog - as a new owner with very little knowledge of gliders in general I feel this is VERY bad advice - my german shepards kill other animals if given the chance, squirrels, moles, raccoons, rabbits. My beagle loves to hunt small rodents in back yard. trying to bond these animals I feel would be highly dangerous to the health of our gliders.)

So we have THREE GLIDER we got a few months ago as rescues, we think they came from a "part time or poor breeder". These gliders had been cleaned off using baby wipes because they are not grooming themselves. WE dont use baby wipes, we used a towel damped slighly and tried to clean their very dirty fur. Now months later they still dont seem to groom well. We read that this could be because they were taken away from the mother to fast and never learned to groom. the gliders were caged two in one and one alone. The one alone seemed to have some repetitive motion issues, jumping in the same way over and over. we put them together and the alone one is doing much better, calm, friendly etc.

So the gliders giving us the MOST issues are the NOT pocket pet gliders.

John and Charlene
Gizmo :grey: / link :bb: / Sophie :wfb: / Riggs :grey: / scarface :grey: / gus :wfb:
Re: perfect pocket pets [Re: BYK_Chainsaw] #1406467
01/12/17 05:01 PM
01/12/17 05:01 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
My problem came about because they create more of a pressure impulse buy.

I do not like this way or selling either, however, that is their business.... can we really hold 'them' responsible for 'our' final choices.
It's not like they are the only ones that have these animals, nor do they claim they are.

Quote:
and some new ones we got as rescues online we are very sure are pocket pets also

Once Pocket Pets sell a glider, that glider no longer belongs to them. If you found your gliders on craigslist or any other source, those gliders belong to the people you rescued them from.
It is the owners responsibility to make certain they are doing right by the animal.

That would be like someone buying a glider from me and 6 months later they want to rehome it because they cannot bond with it or have time with it. How would that be my fault? It wouldn't, same as it is not Pocket Pets.

Quote:
pp pamphlet suggest you can bond your glider to your dog

This is not a lie. MANY people do introduce their gliders to their other pets and they do get along. I can tell my personal experience, my dogs have saved my gliders lives before on several occasions letting me know that they were out of the cage and where they were.

This does not mean it will be good for everyone. You have to know your own pets. If you have a dog or a cat and know they have a strong prey drive, you obviously do not want to introduce them.

My dog Mason is a rodent killer. Every winter she hunts and catches the mice around here that are outside and kills them. However she has never tried to harm my gliders.

She will also try to catch and kill a squirrel outside. When I was rehabbing wildlife and brought home baby squirrels, she would stimulate them and clean them for me and never tried to harm them. But the same day she would be chasing the ones outside down.

Please do not think I am promoting Pocket Pets, I am not. I never recommend anyone to buy a glider from them because of where and how they sell.

I also cant stand their script, but if you break it all down, it really is not all lies. It just doesn't go into as much detail as it should.

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: perfect pocket pets [Re: Srlb] #1406469
01/12/17 07:59 PM
01/12/17 07:59 PM
indiana
BYK_Chainsaw Offline
Glider Explorer
BYK_Chainsaw  Offline
Glider Explorer

indiana
"Once Pocket Pets sell a glider, that glider no longer belongs to them. If you found your gliders on craigslist or any other source, those gliders belong to the people you rescued them from.
It is the owners responsibility to make certain they are doing right by the animal.

That would be like someone buying a glider from me and 6 months later they want to rehome it because they cannot bond with it or have time with it. How would that be my fault? It wouldn't, same as it is not Pocket Pets. "

I only meant to say. "We believe we got 6 gliders that originated from Pocket Pets, and all 6 are nice healthy gliders, so I have no problems with Pocket Pets in regard to the health of their gliders."

John and Charlene
Gizmo :grey: / link :bb: / Sophie :wfb: / Riggs :grey: / scarface :grey: / gus :wfb:
Re: perfect pocket pets [Re: Srlb] #1406470
01/12/17 08:21 PM
01/12/17 08:21 PM
indiana
BYK_Chainsaw Offline
Glider Explorer
BYK_Chainsaw  Offline
Glider Explorer

indiana
Originally Posted By: Srlb
Quote:

[quote]pp pamphlet suggest you can bond your glider to your dog

This is not a lie. MANY people do introduce their gliders to their other pets and they do get along.

I believe this is part of the IFFY information they give out. PP mainly sells to first time buyers, like me and my wife, we first time buyers are inexperienced to start, so telling such new buyers they can try to bond their glider to a dog or cat, well....
I would say this is like selling a jumping motorcycle to a new motorcycle rider and telling them to give big jumps a try, it MIGHT WORK?? whats the worst that can happen you fall? Just very bad advice or suggestion in PP pamphlet to a NEW owner in my opinion.

seller lied by telling my wife she could buy one or two it didn't matter. After she got home we started reading and found out they are colony animals. When asked about this he said he would not risk losing a sale by telling someone they should buy two if possible.
they also say at the time we bought gliders a few years ago, some cereal (pellets) and apples is all the gliders need to eat. this seems like a lie to me.

all this said I dont have any hate for PP.

John and Charlene
Re: perfect pocket pets [Re: BYK_Chainsaw] #1406473
01/13/17 10:07 AM
01/13/17 10:07 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: BYK_Chainsaw

seller lied by telling my wife she could buy one or two it didn't matter. After she got home we started reading and found out they are colony animals.

There are some gliders that do very well alone. I have one that has beaten the tar out of every glider I tried to introduce her too.

After over $1000.00 in vet bills she now lives alone. She loves her wheel and she eats well. She just doesn't play well with others.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: perfect pocket pets [Re: BYK_Chainsaw] #1406475
01/13/17 10:19 AM
01/13/17 10:19 AM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
As stated, some of their information is very much incomplete. You, as well as many others, are smart enough to where if someone tells you that your glider can get along with other pets, and you know your dog at home has a high prey drive, that would not be a feasible thing to do by introducing them together.

Much like a dog rescue, you see a dog you really like, you want to adopt it, they tell you it gets along with all other dogs/cats. If you know you have a dog at home that does not get along with dogs and cats, are you going to adopt this one just because it does? See what I mean?

And the myth has always been you HAVE to have two gliders. This we have learned over the years is not a fact. A single glider, if in the proper housing, on a good diet, has plenty of interactive, mind stimulating toys, will do fine.

I know, as I had a single glider for many years as do many other people.

Yes, gliders are colony animals, but did you know that in the wild they do not stay with each other for life? Every two years gliders will disperse from their nest and either find other colonies to join or studies on wild gliders in Australia, have shown, some even go to nests by themselves.

I always tell people that ask me about owning single gliders the following....

Yes, you can have a single, however, imagine yourself on a deserted island, surrounded by all the different animals you love and they all get along. They make sure you have plenty to eat, stuff to play with and are safe from predators. However, when its time for you to get up, they are going to sleep. Eventually, you are going to wish you had another of your own kind to interact with. But will you die if you never do? No.

Also, people need to be aware, just because you have two gliders does not mean they will be ok with one another all of their lives. As stated before, many gliders leave their original nest after two years. Our gliders in cages, do not have that choice as they cannot leave.

As for the diet, they have made changes in their diet plan. Their diet has been laboratory tested and approved.

You can find results on that diet study here.

And I know you don't have hate for PP, I am just trying to make people aware of how things really are. They really are not the devil. They have made many changes over the years to improve for the sake of the glider.

Again, I would never recommend anyone to buy from them, but with that being said, they do more for the glider than any other breeder who sells gliders (including myself) does.
They make sure they have a cage and food prior to going home with you. They send out daily newsletters. And they have a lot of information (whether we all agree with it or not) on their website.

Peggy
Critter Love

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024