Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Introduction Process Tips [Re: Xeno] #1419715
03/08/19 01:04 AM
03/08/19 01:04 AM
DFW, TX
X
Xeno Offline OP
Joey Member
Xeno  Offline OP
Joey Member
X

DFW, TX
Well, got a pre-intro test done accidentally. I took Arwen out to let her run around and she managed to jump behind the boy’s cage and climb it and started a ruckus. Dobby crabbed when she got near but then she and Elric met up and started sniffing and chattering away like old friends. Then I got her out before Dobby could find her and get annoyed again. Going to try intros with Elric and the girls on Saturday. Dobby might need more time.

Last edited by Xeno; 03/08/19 01:43 AM.

Dobby :grey: Elric :wfb: Arwen :plat: Eilonwy :leu:
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Introduction Process Tips [Re: Xeno] #1419716
03/08/19 10:53 AM
03/08/19 10:53 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Online /gc/lgc
Owner
KarenE  Online /Gc/Lgc
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Does seems they are very interested in each other. Good luck.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Introduction Process Tips [Re: Xeno] #1419717
03/08/19 09:49 PM
03/08/19 09:49 PM
DFW, TX
X
Xeno Offline OP
Joey Member
Xeno  Offline OP
Joey Member
X

DFW, TX
Took Dobby and Elric for tent time and once I put Dobby back I brought Elric to the girl’s cage. He and Arwen still seem friendly. Sadly Eilonwy seems unwilling to chat. Going to introduce tomorrow afternoon in the tub when they are tired. Plan to put the girls and Elric in. If that goes well I might let Dobby in and see if he is okay with a neutral meeting where he is less territorial. If so I win. If not he goes back and hopefully the trio will work. Then wash the cages before putting them back.

If I only get the trio I will keep Dobby’s cage close and hope seeing his brother with the girls will help him acclimate to them. I will also next week let Elric spend some time joining Dobby in the early evening when they first wake up and he hopefully smells of the girls to get Dobby onboard. Also keep swapping pouches and intro Dobby when he seems ready.

Does that sound good? Or do you think I should just intro the trio and wait on Dobby? Any thoughts?

Re: Introduction Process Tips [Re: Xeno] #1419718
03/08/19 11:20 PM
03/08/19 11:20 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Dobby does need time out. When you put the boys together again, you will see Dobby mark him.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Introduction Process Tips [Re: Xeno] #1419722
03/09/19 02:53 PM
03/09/19 02:53 PM
DFW, TX
X
Xeno Offline OP
Joey Member
Xeno  Offline OP
Joey Member
X

DFW, TX
A wild ride!

Last night the girls escaped on their own. I went in at 2 AM (I had to get some remote work done and was up late) to check on some barking. Still not sure how they did it but I found Eilonwy plantitively pleading barking in the closet. I think she was either scared or annoyed she could not jump up to where I keep the treats. Arwen had decided she wanted tent time without me and was running around. The only thing I can figure is that they pulled the bottom cage a bit and slipped out. A tight fit. It is a bit looser on the girl’s cage.

I wore up the girls and put them (lazily kicking) in the tub. I then got Elric out by first getting Dobby out of the pouch by enticing him out with a treat and then taking the pouch. The three sniffed each other and started chattering. I left it for ten minutes. Success. I acted on a hunch that all four would be okay and got Dobby but when I got back Eilonwy had escaped the tub. I tried to get Dobby to jump off me and head into the tub but Elric took that opportunity to jump onto me (like he always does). With the two boys on me I got Dobby into the tub hoping he and Eilonwy would meet while I possibly scoured the house for Arwen (the door was open when she got out). I found Arwen hiding behind the towels hanging way off the floor. Not sure how she jumped that high. She was terrified hanging on and gladly let me take her. Dobby and Eilonwy made common cause (they were friendly when I glanced over) but escaped again.

Note to self: Either this tub is too shallow or my gliders are all the equivalent of pro athletes. I am guessing the former. I never use that tub (it is the guest bathroom but I definitely have no plans to take a bath in there.....especially now,

With the bedlam I realized the only two who had not been introduced were Dobby and Arwen and they were the two I was most concerned about. I put Arwen down by Dobby and they faced off and Dobby crabbed a little but they got along. I broke out the large fresh sleeping pouch that just arrived yesterday so it is beautifully scentless. Eilonwy was terrified of the mayhem so I just held it up to her and she gratefully dove in. I let Dobby in next and then Arwen and finally Elric. I carried it to the master bedroom with the small cage. Both Dobby and Elric jumped out but I turned on the lights and they quickly went back into the cage while I secured the pouch. Dobby dove right into the pouch and there was some crabbing and hissing but no movement so I left them. Elric explored the cage and kept going in and out of the pouch and I was worried he was going to ruin it but he finally settled down and joined the others in the pouch. There were a few hisses from the pouch but I think some of it was the grooming sound and one or two “get your foot out of my face” sounds but nothing overtly hostile. They have been quiet for the last half hour I have watched outside of some contented sleep “clicking”. I put another pouch in in case someone needs to retreat but I am hopeful they are good.

So tentative success. Despite me having to do all the work on the intros I still have to go clean the cages, launder the lining, and wash all the toys. Doesn’t seem fair. smile On the bright side if this works I only have to clean one cage in the future and can let the gliders out to play in the whole room in the future without panicking whenever they jump onto the other cage. And combined tent time will mean more bonding time.

I plan to watch very carefully tonight when they wake up and will try to have food out and in enough places to combat food aggression. I plan to have two trays with Critter Love Complete, two kitchens with salad, and two water bowls. I am hopeful that will cover it.

Re: Introduction Process Tips [Re: Xeno] #1419723
03/09/19 09:51 PM
03/09/19 09:51 PM
DFW, TX
X
Xeno Offline OP
Joey Member
Xeno  Offline OP
Joey Member
X

DFW, TX
HOORAY!

After I cleaned I moved the pouch into one of the big cages. Eilonwy crabbed but she always does that whenever she is in a pouch and is moved or I am talking or even too close.

They all woke up and are playing. First there was the mad rush to scent mark the cage which I had cleaned and sprayed some pet safe lemon scent on to make sure no On my way! Elric and Arwen did some play fighting but there was no balling up or aggressive noise and neither was getting hurt so I let them decide who was going to be in charge of the new colony. Dobby and Eilonwy would both get in the wheel and take turns running and spinning the other one. I thought two wheels might be excessive but turns out some times there is a line waiting for the current user to get off. Eilonwy also seems a lot less jumpy. Maybe she was just afraid of the boys even when they were on the opposite side of the room.

I want to bring them out to play but I think other then treats I will leave them for a few days to reacclimate. Then the fun can begin! The room is glider proofed but I might redecorate a bit so they have more to do when they are out. Also need to expand tent toys.

Anyways, absent some disaster, I think this thread is over. Thank you to everyone for your advice. Even though I did not follow all of it it helped me ask the right questions and do the right research.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 354 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,570 TEXAS
679,074 OHIO
487,153 OKLAHOMA
432,157 UTAH
321,675 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024