Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Long Time Lurker, First Time Owner #1421856
01/10/20 04:01 PM
01/10/20 04:01 PM
South Florida, USA
M
MyUsualTriumph Offline OP
MyUsualTriumph  Offline OP
M

South Florida, USA
Hello all!

I have been in love with the idea of getting a pet sugar glider since the first time I met one when I was in the second grade. I've kept up with the forum, but between my own finances and life with my mother's strict "No Smelly Animals" policy it's never been feasible for me to have my own gliders. Eventually I was able to talk her into a pet hedgehog who kept me company for 4 years before crossing the rainbow bridge from cancer. During those 4 years I loved everything about small exotics, but gliders still seemed to be a stretch. I have now been out on my own a while, but the upstart cost for two joeys is a little steep for a single income public school teacher.

However, it seems fate had other plans.

Feeling sad after helping my hedgehog cross the rainbow bridge, I ducked into a local exotics shop hoping to find some fun things for my scaled friends. Instead, I found myself in an exotics shop that not only stocks supplies, but also specializes in rescues and rehomes. It wasn't long before I noticed the two little glider boys in their set up and decided that this had to be the right time. I know that gliders are the cutest face, but can kind of be jerks until you've gained their trust, which can take longer with older gliders. Between my hedgehog and my western hognose snakes, I am well familiar with animals that have some attitude.

I am now the proud parent of two male gray gliders, between 1 or 2 years old. (I think that they are siblings, but I can't be sure.)

Having had my toe in the glider world for 10+ years, I know a few things about glider care and behavior. Lots of toys, lots of bonding, lots of patience. But, I want to be sure that I'm doing this right and I have a few questions for the colony:

- I've ordered CritterLove Glider Complete and the accompanying salad for them. I know every glider is different, but how much do you recommend starting them with?
- What are some things I should be looking out for "normal" behavior wise? I don't know anything about their history, aside from them being surrendered by someone who could no longer care for them. (I intend to take them to my exotic vet soon, but I want them to be a little bit more at ease than they are now.)
- Neutering? Yay or nay?
- I've noticed that the larger one eats first, and the smaller one hangs back and waits to join. Occasional taking away of food with both parties as the culprit, but after the waiting period they both eat out of the bowl together fine. Typical social behavior or something I should be worried about?

Thanks to everyone in advance for their help, and I will definitely post pics as soon as I have the chance. (Name suggestions welcome!)

Ally

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Long Time Lurker, First Time Owner [Re: MyUsualTriumph] #1421857
01/10/20 07:05 PM
01/10/20 07:05 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
First, Welcome to GliderCENTRAL!

Originally Posted by MyUsualTriumph

- I've ordered CritterLove Glider Complete and the accompanying salad for them. I know every glider is different, but how much do you recommend starting them with?

You will want to freeze the Complete in icecube trays as it does freeze solid. 2 TBS per cube that way you can just take a cube and pop it into their dish. Each glider should get two tablespoons or at least 24 grams per glider of the salad. There are salad mixtures on her website that you can purchase the ingredients for at your local grocer store and mix up and freeze. I suggest cutting each mixture in half as it does make a lot for just two gliders. You are to mix one salad up and feed it then choose another salad to mix up. There are also substitutions on this page too. The five sald mixtures.

- What are some things I should be looking out for "normal" behavior wise? I don't know anything about their history, aside from them being surrendered by someone who could no longer care for them. (I intend to take them to my exotic vet soon, but I want them to be a little bit more at ease than they are now.) Each glider is different in how they will interact with you. Be patient. They will crab, depending on the intensity you have either bothered them or they are scared to death.

- Neutering? Yay or nay? Yes, to neutering, it is healthier for them and it will cut down on the odor.

- I've noticed that the larger one eats first, and the smaller one hangs back and waits to join. Occasional taking away of food with both parties as the culprit, but after the waiting period they both eat out of the bowl together fine. Typical social behavior or something I should be worried about? You can give them two feeding stations. What you are seeing is the hierarchy. The top glider eats first.
Ally

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 325 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,574 TEXAS
679,076 OHIO
487,156 OKLAHOMA
432,160 UTAH
321,684 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024