Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New with questions #1421903
01/19/20 05:31 PM
01/19/20 05:31 PM
United States
K
KateS Offline OP
KateS  Offline OP
K

United States
Hello, I am three months into being a glider slave wink I posted earlier questioning if my diet was appropriate and I was advised my the lovely ladym that the TPG has not been proven to be nutritionally sound. I was also doing it Incorrectly as I was blending the fruits and veggies within the staple. Fail! She also sent a wonderful article about how gilders eat. Which now makes so much more sense. My girls totally eat different things depending on the night. So I have started a journal. This has prompted me to do additional research of other diets. Wow! There is so many conflicting opinions and advice, very hard for a rule follower!

***I also know people feel very strongly about what they feed and what they think is best***

In the wild they would have a huge variety of things to eat and be able to find what they would need, which I know I am unable to replicate but would like to do as much as I can. I have further questions/concerns:

1. HPW - Seems very restrictive. I also am not liking that one of the fruits allowed and recommend is grapes. Which I have fed but after reading quite a bit of research seems it may be linked to internal failure. Of course this has not yet been proven but I am going to stay away per my personal feelings on the fruit. I want more variety. Ideas?

2. TPG - Has been found not to be nutritionally sound per a few different sources, however I cannot find the reason for this... what part is missing? Can I supplement to make it more sound? My girls were brought up on this and seem to enjoy it. I do supplement currently with Exotic Nutrition’s Gilder Complete pellets, which I leave out during the day in case they need to munch. I also give fresh fruit/veggie salad with added Exotic Nutrition’s Glider-Cal. I also will occasionally give a small amount of variety protein which may be nuts, mealies, or egg. I also want them to be healthy and happy and will gladly change if no way to make it nutritionally sound.

3. I know not to keep switching diets as with any animal as it can cause lots of issues but is there a diet that consists of many different options, something less restrictive? A high quality pellet, fruit and veggie salad with added calcium, protein (bugs, nuts, eggs, ground unseasoned turkey occasionally for variety) and a slop/soup with chopped veggies and fruit (similar to TPG)? I have researched that they will eat what they need so why would hitting all their requirements every night and they can choose hurt?

4. I want to home make as much of their food as I can, that way I know what is going into it. I have even thought about making my own applesauce and yogurt from my own produce/milk/honey.

5. All of these staple diets want you to buy their products because they are “the best”? I would say that too if I wanted to make money. I don’t just want my gliders to survive I want them to thrive!

6. Personal feelings on Exotic Nutrition’s products?

7. Why do most diets say rept-cal instead of Glider-cal or one created specifically for gliders?

Is there anyone who has found a diet they created is this safe to do?

We will also be camping with them on and off during the summer so I will need something I can have premade.

Kate,
Fur Baby Momma.

My fur babies consist currently of two female suggies, Maple and Honey. My rescue cats, Max and Nala and my rescue pup, Izzo.

I have fostered and/or rehabilitated a variety of animals but I am new to being a glider slave but loving it!
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: New with questions [Re: KateS] #1421904
01/19/20 06:31 PM
01/19/20 06:31 PM
United States
K
KateS Offline OP
KateS  Offline OP
K

United States
One last Question I forgot... along with organically growing my own produce, fresh dairy, eggs and honey. We also make our own PURE ORGANIC Maple Syrup. Straight from our own trees we tap. Nothing artificial. We do not use the reverse osmosis process so it is nutritional. I have not been able to find really anything solid on this. I am able to get the nutritional values on this. I also am able to get the pure sap from the trees prior to the evaporation process wondering if this would be a nice tree. We only use sugar Maples.

Kate,
Fur Baby Momma.

My fur babies consist currently of two female suggies, Maple and Honey. My rescue cats, Max and Nala and my rescue pup, Izzo.

I have fostered and/or rehabilitated a variety of animals but I am new to being a glider slave but loving it!
Re: New with questions [Re: KateS] #1421905
01/19/20 08:00 PM
01/19/20 08:00 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
First, I know nothing about Maple sap. Someone else can cover that.

TPG diet has been on the books to be tested, but when the nutrionists asked for the list (and quantity) of ingredients of their vitamin suppliment, they refused to disclose.

Glida min compared to rep Cal: for BML:. Glida min wasn't around when the BML diet was put together. It is a diet that Bourbon ( hence Bourbon's modified leadbetters diet: BML) worked on. It's recipe is free to the public, and the ingredients can be bought locally. She has never made a profit on this diet. Since the diet has been tested as is and proven, there really isn't any reason to change. Reptacal is food grade, regardless what the internet says. It is also available in most pet stores locally.

Gliders in the wild are quite illusive and difficult to analyze exactly what all they eat, but they know it changes by season and availability. Gliders will pretty much eat anything that doesn't eat them first. They are beasts of opportunity and indulge on carrion as well.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: New with questions [Re: KateS] #1421906
01/19/20 08:15 PM
01/19/20 08:15 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Hi and welcome to GliderCENTRAL!

diets can be a heated topic. I feed Critterlove Plus with the recommended salad mixtures. There are 5 different salad mixtures, these mixtures have a wide variety of ingredients.

BML is a very strict diet, you only use certain fruits and vegetables.

Ultimately the choice is yours as they are your gliders. But my recommendation is Critterlove. It is the most tested out there. My gliders have been a part of some of the testing. They have contributed blood a few times. I have seen the results and my vet is very happy with the results of those blood tests.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: New with questions [Re: KateS] #1421907
01/20/20 10:25 AM
01/20/20 10:25 AM
United States
K
KateS Offline OP
KateS  Offline OP
K

United States
Thank you both for your responses! I know it can be a heated topic. People are passionate about what they love.

I feel like the majority of people on here have especially have suggested Critterlove Plus/Complete so I have started leaning towards that. I also, believe that @ladymagyver said it is nice to have when on the road which I will need a lot of the summer. However, can someone direct me to where it explains the diet plan? I cannot seem to find the layout on their site. Can I only feed them their dried salads? I guess I am not completely understanding how that diet works. Is it a form of BML diet?

Thank you ahead of time!!

Last edited by KateS; 01/20/20 04:45 PM. Reason: Separate questions

Kate,
Fur Baby Momma.

Re: New with questions [Re: KateS] #1421909
01/20/20 11:17 AM
01/20/20 11:17 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted by KateS
I feel like the majority of people on here have especially have suggested Critterlove Plus/Complete so I have started leaning towards that. I also, believe that @ladymagyver said it is nice to have when on the road which I will need a lot of the summer. However, can someone direct me to where it explains the diet plan? I cannot seem to find the layout on their site. Can I only feed them their dried salads? I guess I am not completely understanding how that diet works. Is it a form of BML diet?

Critterlove Fresh Salad Mixes

At the above link you will find not only the recipe for the 5 different fresh salad mixes but also the reason they were chosen to be fed with the Critterlove staples. There is also a list of substitutions in case your gliders do not like some of the ingredients.

The dried salad mixes are for those people who choose to use those in place of the fresh OR for travel purposes. In my opinion, fresh is always best wink

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: New with questions [Re: KarenE] #1421910
01/20/20 04:43 PM
01/20/20 04:43 PM
United States
K
KateS Offline OP
KateS  Offline OP
K

United States
Thank you @KarenE!!! I found the resources page... don’t know why that was so difficult for me! Lol! I am going to do this diet! I love that so many people on here go with it, makes me feel more confident and comfortable. I like the different salad options and that I can make them with my own fresh produce. I feel like there is plenty variety. More variety than I thought there would be! I also love to be able to have the option of the dried fruit packages for emergencies or when we are camping off the grid. Thank you everyone who has helped me with this decision and make me feel less stressed about keeping my girls healthy!!!

Couple more questions:
What is allowed for treats on this diet?
Would it be okay to occasionally offer mealies/nuts/eggs(scrambled or hard boiled, unseasoned) as a special treat?
What about yogis and eucalyptus branches?
Is it okay to still offer licky treats occasionally? Like honey?

Just want to make sure I get this right.

Kate,
Fur Baby Momma.

Re: New with questions [Re: KateS] #1421915
01/21/20 09:08 PM
01/21/20 09:08 PM
indiana
BYK_Chainsaw Offline
Glider Explorer
BYK_Chainsaw  Offline
Glider Explorer

indiana

1. HPW - Seems very restrictive. I also am not liking that one of the fruits allowed and recommend is grapes. Which I have fed but after reading quite a bit of research seems it may be linked to internal failure. Of course this has not yet been proven but I am going to stay away per my personal feelings on the fruit. I want more variety. Ideas?

I do not see HPW as being very restrictive. critterlove puts out 5 salads, plus they have some substitution. I do not feed the gliders grapes as part of that diet unless as a special snack
because there is some worry about grapes.

6. Personal feelings on Exotic Nutrition’s products?

I have read some don't think everything they sell is consistently high quality.
I have read that its hard or unknown how to put a healthy COMPLETE diet in a pellet for gliders. With dogs and cats pellet food has been in development for a long time and even now you
can buy chuck wagon and feed your dog cheap low quality corn filler.
I use happy glider cereal as an extra in a side dish, also I have read its good for teeth cleaning.

4. I want to home make as much of their food as I can, that way I know what is going into it. I have even thought about making my own applesauce and yogurt from my own produce/milk/honey.

with OHPW i buy fruits and veggies from the local grocery store. the OHPW is raw honey from a honey store next town over, bee pollen from health store or walmart online (same container)
eggs - grocery store and wombaroo from Australia made JUST for gliders.

John and Charlene
Gizmo :grey: / link :bb: / Sophie :wfb: / Riggs :grey: / scarface :grey: / gus :wfb:
Re: New with questions [Re: KateS] #1421923
01/22/20 11:04 AM
01/22/20 11:04 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted by KateS
Couple more questions:
What is allowed for treats on this diet?
Would it be okay to occasionally offer mealies/nuts/eggs(scrambled or hard boiled, unseasoned) as a special treat?
What about yogis and eucalyptus branches?
Is it okay to still offer licky treats occasionally? Like honey?

If you are going to feed Critterlove, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds (unsalted) and pine nuts are good.

I don't believe Peggy, the creator of Critterlove, feeds any bugs at all, however, you may want to contact her about the bugs.

Most gliders love Eucalyptus branches in their cages but they will have to be replaced when they are stripped or urine soaked.

Most owners do feed yogis, but they should be kept to a minimum. Lots of sugar simply isn't good and keeps them from eating their dinner wink

Scrambled eggs - these are usually reserved for a very occasional cheat night. By that I mean once every few months. Most of us reserve cheats nights for very special occasions ... birthdays, holidays, etc. Those nights can even include mac n cheese with veggies wink Just remember NOT to also feed their regular staple.

On Critterlove website HERE is a list of treats, some freeze dried, you can order. Those that are freeze dried can also be fed fresh.

Hope this helps.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: New with questions [Re: KateS] #1421934
01/26/20 12:21 PM
01/26/20 12:21 PM
United States
K
KateS Offline OP
KateS  Offline OP
K

United States
Thanks all!!

Kate,
Fur Baby Momma.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 371 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,552 TEXAS
679,069 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,142 UTAH
321,666 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024