Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! :*( #239080
03/20/07 03:57 PM
03/20/07 03:57 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Keeping this summarized as possible for time
just came home for lunch and tony wasn't asleep in his pouch but in his cage bottom in a box I have in there for him to play in - not normal.
He seemed to be moving so I thought maybe just up playing? Tried talking to him but didn't respond to me? So I picked up box he was in and he JUMPED out making noises, scared! Can't seem to wind down. I saw him drink and gave him some apple he ate but he couldn't seem to sit still and looked unstable in that he was trying to not fall over - like he was dizzy? I juts wonder if he's really sleepy or what could be wrong?? He doesn't seem to respond to any sounds - I tried talking to him, clapping, etc. nothing. He's in his pouch now but still can't seem to settle down completely HELP PLZ

Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! :*( [Re: ] #239082
03/20/07 04:00 PM
03/20/07 04:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

PS - he ran around his cage a bit, even across the top upside down, but motor skills just seem to be a struggle a little??

Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! :*( [Re: ] #239083
03/20/07 04:01 PM
03/20/07 04:01 PM
Upstate NY
glidergrl1513 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidergrl1513  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate NY
It sounds like he's had a seizure. My dog acted exactly how you described the first time I saw her have one. I was scared to death.

You need to take him to the vet, I'm not sure what they can do about a seizure, but then should verify exactly what did happen.

Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! :*( [Re: glidergrl1513] #239084
03/20/07 04:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm crying... off to vet thx

Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! :*( [Re: ] #239085
Chicago, IL
FURBYnGIZMO Offline
Glider Addict
FURBYnGIZMO  Offline
Glider Addict

Chicago, IL
I've never seen that reaction from my sleepy ones...

The dizzyness and and try'n to not fall over is something I would be very concerned about on top of the fact he was at the bottom of the cage worried

Please take this little guy to the vet!

He needs to be seen asap!

dance Jenny

Furby -- Kalila -- Deuce -- Gizmo

Furby :grey: Kalila :wfb: Deuce :leu:

Gizmo :rbridge:

Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! :*( [Re: glidergrl1513] #239086
03/20/07 04:03 PM
03/20/07 04:03 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
I agree that he needs to be seen by a vet right away. Please take him to an exotic vet ASAP. Once you notice abnormal behavior in a glider, it can be very critical and time is of the essence!

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! :*( [Re: sugarglidersuz] #239089
03/20/07 04:06 PM
03/20/07 04:06 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
There are two excellent vets in SLC that Jen (Xfilefan) uses for her gliders... they are the 2nd & 3rd ones listed on GC's vet links Database for Utah... you can find their information HERE.

Suz Enyedy
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! :*( [Re: sugarglidersuz] #239104
03/20/07 04:16 PM
03/20/07 04:16 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL
Please keep us posted ... sending prayer too...

* ~ * John * ~ * Sorry store is closed at this time.. <br>
Link -> [b]~~ XtremeGlider ~~ Home of the original Re~set Toys! ~~[/b] <br>
Oct 2012 update.. miss my gliders and my
glider family and think of my friends often!!!
Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! :*( [Re: Xglider] #239153
03/20/07 04:56 PM
03/20/07 04:56 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
The dizziness and disorientation and apparent deafness could also be an indication of an ear infection.

It would cause those same symptoms, yet not be quite as serious.

Hoping for a positive update soon!

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! :*( [Re: ValkyrieMome] #239162
03/20/07 05:04 PM
03/20/07 05:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Back from vet - thanks SO much for all the response.
I have a lump in my gut and I am so worried. I have only had Tony about a month and none the less now I can't imagine my life w/out him frown
I took him to the Exotics vet on Parley's way - Wasatch Exotic Animal Care - per recommendation of xfilefan and some others on the site. I had already chosen this vet ahead of time due to high recommends.
The vet said she thought possible calcium deficiency. He seemed to be blinded too - vet noticed right away when she took him out. She didn't seem overly alarmed at that so I can only assume it's somewhat common or something with calcium deficiency??? I am so scared and helpless! They took him and kept him and said they will keep him overnight after calcium shots, blood work, and some other things. I have no idea what diet he was on prior to coming to me but I knew right when I got him it couldn't have been anything good judging by the reactions to the GOOD food I gave him (I feed BML). vet said the damage could have already been done when I got him more or less...

Has anyone had experience with calcium deficiency??

Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! :*( [Re: ] #239166
03/20/07 05:05 PM
03/20/07 05:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

PS - his weight was WAY down. I last weighed him on the 11th and he was 110g. Today they weighed him and he was just under 90!! She said she thought the outlook was good though - didn't tell me to brace myself for the worse so I hope that means she thinks he'll be OK!!!

Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! :*( [Re: ] #239174
03/20/07 05:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good work getting him to help quickley!

I will keep you in my prayers.

Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! :*( [Re: ] #239175
Lenexa, KS
TracieB Offline
Glider Addict
TracieB  Offline
Glider Addict

Lenexa, KS
Thanks for the update. I hope Tony makes a quick and complete recovery. I'm glad you were on top of things enough to notice something wasn't right. Tony's a lucky little guy to have you!

The vet may have you supplement feed him to help get some weight back on him. If so, here a post on How To Give Syringe Meds or Food .

Tracie
1 wonderful husband - Chris
1 goofy Yorkie - Dexter
2 naughty kitties - Chloe & Alek

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
1 spoiled Yorkie, Myles - April 5, 1993-June 5, 2007
1 sweet :wfb: Xavier - August 5, 2007-May 20, 2010
2 sweet :grey: :grey: Nara & Alkina - February, 2006-November, 2011

Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! :*( [Re: Xglider] #239184
03/20/07 05:25 PM
03/20/07 05:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

idk u should defafinatly take him to the vet!

amanda cloud9 jump mlove jump cloud9

Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! :*( [Re: ] #239217
03/20/07 05:59 PM
03/20/07 05:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks SO much guys - I am here at work again now (I was going to stay home but a quiet apt and an empty cage wasn't working) and since I was way late coming back from lunch everyone knew what was up before I got here - and I keep getting asked if my sugar glider is ok & what's going on... but I just want them to leave me alone lol. Suggies are so complex it's like you can't just talk about things you end up explaining things and reliving and UGHHHH. "What is calcium deficiency?" "It's caused by their diet? Well what do they eat?" I mean they are just trying to be helpful I know but it's hard for someone that can't relate to be sympathetic in the way you want/need. This has helped so much. Thanks again, I will keep you posted!

Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! : [Re: ] #239220
03/20/07 06:02 PM
03/20/07 06:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Calcium deficiency can also be caused by infection. An infection can prevent calcium (as well as other vitamins and minerals) from being absorbed.

Editting to add--sorry, I got caught up in the question! But I hope he does get better soon! Glad you caught it and were able to get him to the vet. I hope everything works out.

Last edited by aproductof; 03/20/07 06:04 PM.
Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! : [Re: ] #239275
03/20/07 07:28 PM
03/20/07 07:28 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Calcium deficiency is not an automatic death sentence anymore, as it was a few years ago. We know a lot more about it now & are better able to catch it quickly and treat it better. My Pika had it (aka HLP - Hind Leg Paralysis). She was diagnosed in November, 2005 and recovered from it within a few months. The vet should check for infection and should prescribe an antibiotic as a prophylactic, even if infection isn't found due to the fact that Calcium deficiency is quite frequently caused by a primary infection that leaches the body's ability to absorb the calcium to the bones where it is needed. In addition, the vet will send home some form of oral calcium supplement for you to give him for the next couple of weeks. This is a very important step in his healing process. Continue to give him the Back to Basics BML diet that you've had him on for the past month.
Please continue to keep us updated on his progress.

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! : [Re: sugarglidersuz] #239299
03/20/07 08:05 PM
03/20/07 08:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great job getting your Tony seem so quickly. He's lucky your so observant. smile

Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! : [Re: ] #239308
03/20/07 08:12 PM
03/20/07 08:12 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow - this all happened so fast! This is a great example of why it's so important to take your glider in immediately when you notice a problem! Great job Mommy! My thoughts will be with Tony tonight, please continue to keep us updated!

Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! : [Re: ] #239380
03/20/07 09:00 PM
03/20/07 09:00 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
I'm reading this just stunned. It really did happen so fast! I'm so glad you are so in-tune with Tony and could notice these changes right away.

He is really lucky to have you. Give yourself a huge pat on the back and a big hug! hug2 Even tho you must feel stunned yourself and overwhelmed ... your response was just amazing!

I wonder if I'd notice such things? I'd like to think so, but I just can't say for sure! I gotta go hug my gliders!

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! : [Re: ValkyrieMome] #239690
03/21/07 08:42 AM
03/21/07 08:42 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
When you get him home, warmth and hydration are going to be very important for him for a little bit. Make sure they send oral calcium home with you, and I second an antibiotic if the vet thinks something else might be at work that's difficult to find.

Also, if he's having issue moving, hang the pouch by ONE hook so the opening dangles a half inch or less from the floor-that way he can climb in easily. Put food/drinks right outside the pouch opening for him, and if HLP is determined (hind leg paralysis-aka: calcium deficiency or metabolic bone disease), eliminate for at least 2 weeks (and go light on them for another 2 after that) all phosphorus heavy foods: corn, only a few peas, no worms or other bugs, just BML and fruits. Fruits high in calcium (and generally liked by gliders) include papaya, canteloupe, & honeydew. Apples are ok. Grapes are so/so so don't let him fill up on those. Also use hammocks close to the floor, so when he climbs, they can avoid a serious injury should he lose his grip and fall, as gliders with HLP often can. He'll also be able to indulge his instinct to climb, and climb on those if he chooses.

I'm taking Chronos in for his major tests this morning, but I'll check for an update when we get back. hug2

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! : [Re: Xfilefan] #239845
03/21/07 11:46 AM
03/21/07 11:46 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow I really appreciate the info - Jen you are so glider-smart wink ...

I took him to Dr. Harris per your recommendation, actually. She has a great bedside manner. Here's the update frown ...

Unfortunately Tony passed at the vet yesterday frown. The kid I got him from didn't give me any info on him other than "he's about a year old". Dr. Harris asked what kind of diet he's been on and I told her BML for the last approx month and she was like well what about before that?? I didn't know. After the vet when I got back to work I emailed the "middle man" that I work with that connected me with this kid in the first place, and asked if he knew what kind of diet he was on. He said "I used to feed it sometimes when he was out of town and he just always said just give it some water melon." (insert angry stampy icon here!!)
Back to the vet story:
The vet asked if he would let her take him out and he's so sweet he's never bit so she did and instantly she was like "he's blind." and that's what I had been thinking. She originally thought it was calcium deficiency and she didn't act alarmed so I was scared but thought maybe it was just a temp thing?? (obviously I'm no vet)

She called later to say he'd passed and said she thought it was a tumor or liver failure.
He was NOT healthy when we got him (STUNK to high heaven frown )and though he thrived on what we gave him in the short time he was with us, there wasn't ever anything we could have done for him she said. She wasn't 100% sure on the exact cause but more or less just more or less told me SOMETHING was just WRONG with him frown. She did bloodwork and a UA and didn't think it was at all viral or anything. I am at peace with it though - after some crying and then some counseling by my bf lol I just came to the conclusion that there's nothing I could have done and he was happy while he was with us - he got to be treated RIGHT for a change before he died. Poor little guy! He went fast once he was starting to struggle (he was FINE yesterday morning out playing with me getting ready for work) and I would have hated to know he went with a struggle - so I am OK. We have a perfect spot picked out and we will bury him today. <3

As for not noticing - he was pretty bad off when I first got home. I have a long narrow empy box in his cage that used to have gallon sized baggies in it - I used it one day for play when I had him out and he loved playing in it so much I just gave it to him lol ... anyway... he was in that and I was like wth? I could hear his nails scratching around in the box so I thought maybe just up playing? Called out to him, nothing. Opened the cage, nothing. Touched the box and my silent little man FLEW out of the box making all sorts of sounds. Scared the tar out of him poor guy frown. He was very obviously disoriented but I really thought scared + sleepy ...? So I watched him for a few... he was certainly not ok. I video taped him with my camera right before I took him, right before the battery died. It's short but I'd like to post it if it shows his condition in a sepparate post so people can have another example of what kinds of things to look for. Thanks for all the help it helped so much!! GTG back to work lol...

Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! : [Re: ] #239872
03/21/07 12:28 PM
03/21/07 12:28 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
Brittney, I'm so sorry to hear about Tony...

You are right that he knows what TRUE LOVE is...and how important it is to be fed the RIGHT diet...and the RIGHT toys in his cage...and all that stuff!

It almost doesn't seem fair that you weren't given a FIGHTING CHANCE to get his health turned around. But him knowing LOVE is the most important thing.

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! : [Re: minkasmom] #239893
03/21/07 01:02 PM
03/21/07 01:02 PM
Tampa, FL
Xglider Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Xglider  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Tampa, FL
SO sorry for your Loss...

* ~ * John * ~ * Sorry store is closed at this time.. <br>
Link -> [b]~~ XtremeGlider ~~ Home of the original Re~set Toys! ~~[/b] <br>
Oct 2012 update.. miss my gliders and my
glider family and think of my friends often!!!
Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! : [Re: Xglider] #239909
03/21/07 01:28 PM
03/21/07 01:28 PM
Lenexa, KS
TracieB Offline
Glider Addict
TracieB  Offline
Glider Addict

Lenexa, KS
hug2 hug2 I'm so sorry Tony didn't make it. As has been said, at least he knew what real love was before he passed on. You did all you could for him, but this was obviously something he'd had for quite a while. You were his angel that was there to take care of him in his last month of life. He was very lucky to have you. heart

Tracie
1 wonderful husband - Chris
1 goofy Yorkie - Dexter
2 naughty kitties - Chloe & Alek

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
1 spoiled Yorkie, Myles - April 5, 1993-June 5, 2007
1 sweet :wfb: Xavier - August 5, 2007-May 20, 2010
2 sweet :grey: :grey: Nara & Alkina - February, 2006-November, 2011

Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! : [Re: TracieB] #239996
03/21/07 02:51 PM
03/21/07 02:51 PM
Garland, TX
Mel2mdl Offline
Glider Addict
Mel2mdl  Offline
Glider Addict

Garland, TX
I am so sorry to hear about Tony. Know that at least he had a good life for the last month with you.

Molly, son & husband:

Chairman Meow
Oscar & Thomas
Sam, Diego, Delilah, Delia :wfb:
Nevada, Noel
Marcel, Dakota, Latte
Dexter, Didi, Almond, Joy and Fitz
:grey:
Karl,Lenny,Jynxie,Chamille, Kee & Mr. Beans in my heart forever.
Teaching teenagers-part joy, part guerilla warfare! :rbridge:
Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! : [Re: Mel2mdl] #240012
03/21/07 03:00 PM
03/21/07 03:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm so sorry he didn't make it.
I am glad he got to spend his last month with you and find out what it is like to be loved and well cared for.

God bless.

Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! : [Re: ] #240013
03/21/07 03:02 PM
03/21/07 03:02 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Brittney-
I'm so very sorry about Tony. I'm so happy that you were able to enrich each others' lives, if only for a short time. He was able to know love.

Alden

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! : [Re: ValkyrieMome] #240048
03/21/07 03:31 PM
03/21/07 03:31 PM
Upstate NY
glidergrl1513 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidergrl1513  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate NY
hug2 I'm so sorry for your loss...you did everything you could, especially rushing him to the vet as soon as you noticed. He knows you really love him and that you were the best mommy he ever had (or could have!)

Re: Seemingly dizzy, disoriented, deaf?? HELP!!! : [Re: glidergrl1513] #240151
03/21/07 04:55 PM
03/21/07 04:55 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Brittney, I'm very sorry that Tony passed over cry At least he knew in his last month what real love mlove and proper care were... You were truly his angel angel

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 382 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024