Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Bad intro, HELP please. :( #414759
11/10/07 07:05 PM
11/10/07 07:05 PM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline OP
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline OP
Glider Lover
R

Florida
So my boyfriend and I introduced the two glider's last night. At first they didn't really seem to interact with eachother but then my current glider found the baby. (The baby is actually bigger than the baby) They looked at eachother for a while then my current glider lunged at her. There was crabbing, I don't know who did it. Then my glider started to chase her and I stopped her. From then on my glider lunged and tried to claw at the baby every time they got face to face frown

They met in the closet but thats the room where their cages are kept. I took the cages out. Should we try another intro but in the bathroom this time? Please help. I've been switching pouches and cages next to eachother, etc.

Re: Bad intro, HELP please. :( [Re: Rieshu] #414762
11/10/07 07:11 PM
11/10/07 07:11 PM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline OP
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline OP
Glider Lover
R

Florida
Oh, My current glider would also do this thing where she would bring her tail almost straight up into the air. I don't know if that means anything but it seemed like weird behavior to me.

Re: Bad intro, HELP please. :( [Re: Rieshu] #414765
11/10/07 07:22 PM
11/10/07 07:22 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
I would give them a break for a night and then try again. The bathroom might be better, since it's not as enclosed as a closet. Just make sure that they "do not bawl up together" if you see that it is heading that way, separate them right away. Make sure your bathroom is "suggie proof" no soaps, chemicals, toilet lids closed, drains, or any holes that they can crawl thru. Check to make sure there is not a large gap underneath the door also.
When they lift their tails up and wiggle them it's a sign of "caution" or they are just sending signals to one another. Have you had a chance to read any of the links to our introductions - if not here are a few that might help with understanding more about what to expect and do.
Introducing Gliders
Introducing Two Gliders

Wishing you all the luck! Keep us posted on your progress!

Re: Bad intro, HELP please. :( [Re: LSardou] #414914
11/11/07 12:59 AM
11/11/07 12:59 AM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline OP
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline OP
Glider Lover
R

Florida
Well, we tried again tonight. Same thing. Anytime they got face to face, Kyuubi (current glider) would lung and bite. She nipped her foot and grabbed her tail. She's not hurt and no blood. Eventually the baby would just start crabbing whenever she got near. My boyfriend cupped his hands and Kyuubi got on her back and started grooming. (She loves this) I then let the new glider stand on the outside of his hands. The new glider started to groom my current glider's head. But even after many minutes of the cute, nice moment, Kyuubi bit her foot when she wasn't looking. Any tips besides the standard stuff? I've read all the links.

Re: Bad intro, HELP please. :( [Re: Rieshu] #414937
11/11/07 01:32 AM
11/11/07 01:32 AM

R
Rita
Unregistered
Rita
Unregistered
R

I think the main thing is to pick a very neutral place to introduce. Have you done all the pouch/toy swapping? Putting cages side by side but not close enough so they can get touch each other?

When I did my introductions recently, I used the bathtub. It didnt belong to any of them and I could see their every move and grab them if necessary.

Another thing you might try is to put each of them in a separate bonding pouch and "wear" them around your neck while they are sleeping. Its another way they can pick up on each other's scent.

Take a few deep breaths and dont give up. This can sometimes take awhile and can be very discouragine...

Re: Bad intro, HELP please. :( [Re: ] #415064
11/11/07 01:11 PM
11/11/07 01:11 PM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline OP
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline OP
Glider Lover
R

Florida
I tried the bathtub. I couldn't get them to stay in there for the life of me. They'd jump out. I put the curtain in there thinking they would slide down but somehow they climbed up it. Then they'd get on me, run up my arms and on my back where i couldn't get them. It was a nightmare. lol

Re: Bad intro, HELP please. :( [Re: Rieshu] #415070
11/11/07 01:22 PM
11/11/07 01:22 PM

R
Rita
Unregistered
Rita
Unregistered
R

Tilly and Tosca did the same thing to me. LOL! I just kept putting them right back in the tub. Poor little things, I know it confused them and hurt their little feelings.

The thing that was most helpful to me was putting one sleeping pouch in the tub and they all gravitated to it. Boy - did I ever hold my breath when all 3 went in there at the same time!!! I did this for about a week. When I got comfortable with them in the pouch together (in the tub only) - that's when I put a plate of mealies in the tub with them. And they all shared like little ladies. Whew!!! Didnt know how that would go either!!! None of this happened quickly!!!

Then I put Tilly and Tosca in a bonding pouch and put Weasel in their cage so she could freely explore and play. That went on for a few days... It was a long and drawn out process - everynigt!

Oh, yes!!! It was very frustrating at times. I fully understand how you are feeling. Just dont give up!

Re: Bad intro, HELP please. :( [Re: ] #415079
11/11/07 01:32 PM
11/11/07 01:32 PM
Syracuse, NY
Kiiru Offline
Glider Addict
Kiiru  Offline
Glider Addict

Syracuse, NY
I'd give them at least a couple nights break from the face to face introductions and just keep pouch swapping. You really can't force these things along. You have to go slow and have patience or they may never get along. Just don't get too discouraged if it's taking a long time for them to get along.

Yeah...I'd stick to the bathtub. The closet probably isn't a good idea since it isn't a neutral area. Did you try putting some treats in the tub with them to try and keep them in there?

You could try dabbing a little vanilla on the tip of their noses.

-Nicole
2 doves,1 dog,and 5 gliders...
* Yin and Yang
* Razzle, Tictac, and Kitkat - "The trio"
NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? #415885
11/12/07 06:07 PM
11/12/07 06:07 PM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline OP
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline OP
Glider Lover
R

Florida
I have both my gliders in seperate pouches. Kyuubi (The oler one that attacks my new baby) Keeps trying to go into the other pouch with her and the baby keeps on crabbing every time she gets close. Should I let Kyuubi climb in the pouch with the baby???

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? [Re: Rieshu] #415889
11/12/07 06:13 PM
11/12/07 06:13 PM
Connecticut
Kitkatt1216 Offline
Glider Slave
Kitkatt1216  Offline
Glider Slave

Connecticut
If she has been attacking her no! What have you done to intro. these two and how exactly has the baby been attacked?? More info. would make it easier to help.

Katrina
Owned by Murphy and Peanut

**RIP My loves Amunet, MiaKoda, and Kieko**
Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? [Re: Kitkatt1216] #415890
11/12/07 06:16 PM
11/12/07 06:16 PM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline OP
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline OP
Glider Lover
R

Florida

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? [Re: Rieshu] #415899
11/12/07 06:26 PM
Syracuse, NY
Kiiru Offline
Glider Addict
Kiiru  Offline
Glider Addict

Syracuse, NY
No! I wouldn't let her climb into the pouch. Expecially if they've been fighting. Just remember to take things slow and DON'T push them to get along!

-Nicole
* Yin and Yang
Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? [Re: Rieshu] #415901
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
I think you need to seperate them and take intros very slowly. It is clear they are having issues, and the older one may take quite some time to get used to her.

It would be best to put them in cages side by side. Do toy swapping, pouch swapping, then even cage swapping. Try having supervised play time together eventually. See how it goes for a while, and after you have had several sucessful playtimes without the issues, then it would be safe to try caging them together again.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Tortoise: Vork
Cats: Scooby, Swiper, Zero, Dinah & Sykes
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty
:rbridge: Fern, Cjarsa, Syfka, Icarus, Ivy, Howie & Gracie

www.cinnamonstix-n-sugar.com
Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? [Re: cinnamonstix] #415905
11/12/07 06:31 PM
11/12/07 06:31 PM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline OP
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline OP
Glider Lover
R

Florida
They're not in a cage, they're on my lap. I've been doing all the steps. Right now the older one is sniffing the outside of the pouch and sorta nibbling on it but im not letting her in.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? [Re: Rieshu] #416222
11/13/07 02:58 AM
11/13/07 02:58 AM
Twin Cities, MN
cinnamonstix Offline
Glider Addict
cinnamonstix  Offline
Glider Addict

Twin Cities, MN
Ok...Sorry to jump to conclusions...lol...keep taking it slow as you are doing...when they get along...you will know they are ready to be friends...until then, just be patient.

Also...if one is going into another one's pouch...it may cause the pouch owner to become protective as that is their space. Just a thought.

~GWEN~
Crazy Hubby Dru
Tortoise: Vork
Cats: Scooby, Swiper, Zero, Dinah & Sykes
Suggies: Meeko, Willow & Nemo; Rei, Rafiki & Rajah; Opal, Lily & Link; Tael, Tatl & Navi; Kristoff Krabbs & Crabby Patty
:rbridge: Fern, Cjarsa, Syfka, Icarus, Ivy, Howie & Gracie

www.cinnamonstix-n-sugar.com
Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? [Re: cinnamonstix] #416269
11/13/07 09:11 AM
11/13/07 09:11 AM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline OP
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline OP
Glider Lover
R

Florida
I didn't let her go inside. I did put the pouches close together so they could feel eachother and they both just groomed themselves and slept. Last night, I took Kyuubi out of her cage and let her play in the tent. Then I took Chidori (the baby) and put her in Kyuubi's cage while she was gone. The baby played with all the toys for a while before I put her in the tent and put Kyuubi back in her cage.

When Kyuubi got into her cage she started to rub herself all over the bars of the cage where the baby was. Both are female... was she trying to scent her cage?

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? [Re: Rieshu] #416271
11/13/07 09:19 AM
11/13/07 09:19 AM
Syracuse, NY
Kiiru Offline
Glider Addict
Kiiru  Offline
Glider Addict

Syracuse, NY
Yeah, she was. I don't know if it was such a good idea to do that. Since they aren't getting along, Kyuubi is left with thinking "a stranger was in my territory and it was that other stupid glider." You know how animals can get when it comes to other animals of the same species being in their territory...even if they aren't there anymore. Just...try not to force Kyuubi to accept Chidori. I really think you should stop with the face to face introductions for at least a week if they still aren't getting along because if they are fighting and you try to do face to face introductions every night, that is not going to help them any. They won't magically get along after the 4th night of seeing eachother. And if they do, be ready to seperate them if they fight. You just have to do things slowly. =/

How long have you been pouch swapping for? I noticed that you got Chidori around 10/25 and you started introductions around 11/10. That's really not a long enough time of pouch swapping, at least I think so. (That would be about 2 weeks...) But you probably didn't start pouch swapping until you've had Chidori for at least a week, yes? Still, that's not a lot of time. I still strongly suggest you slow things down and don't push them anymore.

Last edited by Kiiru; 11/13/07 09:29 AM.

-Nicole
* Yin and Yang
Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? [Re: Kiiru] #416274
11/13/07 09:32 AM
11/13/07 09:32 AM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline OP
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline OP
Glider Lover
R

Florida
I just thought maybe her having her scent in her cage would help. I have their cages close together. Should I move them away? I'll keep doing pouch swapping, and not do anything else.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? [Re: Rieshu] #416278
11/13/07 09:57 AM
11/13/07 09:57 AM
Syracuse, NY
Kiiru Offline
Glider Addict
Kiiru  Offline
Glider Addict

Syracuse, NY
I don't think their cages being near eachother will hurt since they've already met and all that. It's just kind of tricky introducing gliders because if they are introduced wrong or pushed, they might just keep fighting and not fully get along.

-Nicole
* Yin and Yang
Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? [Re: Kiiru] #416287
11/13/07 10:23 AM
11/13/07 10:23 AM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline OP
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline OP
Glider Lover
R

Florida
How long should I wait until I introduce them again? and is the only thing I can do is switch their pouches?

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? [Re: Kiiru] #416288
11/13/07 10:25 AM
11/13/07 10:25 AM

K
KerryB
Unregistered
KerryB
Unregistered
K

I have an older glider, about 6 months old now, and we just bought a baby (she was way too young when we got her, which I didn't know). She's probably 7 weeks old now. Last week we tried to introduce the two, and he grabbed her hard and she really yelled at him.

After some research, I found that introducing them when there is such a size difference isn't the best idea. So, since I haven't tried.

What I do is allow the older glider (Spaz) to play in my room while the baby (Sweetie) is in her cage. They love it. They follow each other around the cage (one inside and one outside) licking each other, etc. She will even eat a little food and allow him to lick it off her face.

Also having her see how the older glider interacts with us has helped with her trusting us when we let her out of the cage. They had a really long play session last night, and this morning she came out of the cage and was all over us. First time ever. She also was a lot gutsier with what she would try to climb on in the room. After all, if Spaz can do it, she can too.

She also doesn't bark at night when they've had this contact.

I'm not going to put them together until she gets bigger, but it seems to be going well now. Both seem much happier just having this contact.

I hope that helps.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? [Re: ] #416295
11/13/07 10:46 AM
11/13/07 10:46 AM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline OP
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline OP
Glider Lover
R

Florida
So you let the older one play in the room with the baby in the cage?

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? [Re: Rieshu] #416300
11/13/07 10:57 AM
11/13/07 10:57 AM

K
KerryB
Unregistered
KerryB
Unregistered
K

Yep, and they both love it. I'm fairly confident they'll get along when we put them together. I will be putting them both in a new cage with some toys from both of their cages and some new stuff as well.

Right now Spaz is still almost twice her size.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? [Re: ] #417009
11/14/07 03:41 PM
11/14/07 03:41 PM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline OP
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline OP
Glider Lover
R

Florida
So I haven't let the gliders meet face to face again. But I've been taking them out in two SEPERATE bonding pouches. Kyuubi (older one) goes insane once she knows that the baby is nearby and she stops at nothing at getting out of her pouch and trying to get into the Chidori's (the baby) So much that I had to put her back in the cage. She'd also bite my fingers a little when I tried to block her. So I put her in the cage and the baby poped her head out of the other pouch and my older glider started to try to reach her hand through the bars to get her. frown Is my older glider going crazy? Is she really this vicious? I never ever thought in my life my sweet Kyuubi would hate the friend I bought for her...Is this making her unhappy?

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? [Re: Rieshu] #417085
11/14/07 06:58 PM
11/14/07 06:58 PM

K
KerryB
Unregistered
KerryB
Unregistered
K

I would just be patient. It doesn't mean they won't get along. Slowly let the "idea" of the new glider sink it. When they are closer to the same size (if they aren't), I'd try getting them together then. You have a lot less chance of the older one hurting the younger one. I've read a lot about this subject. Putting our two gliders together is weighing heavily on me. We are so attached to both gliders, and I want them to get along. But I know not to rush it or assume anything.

Let me know how it goes. It's going to be awhile before I get my two together permanently.

Take Care.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? [Re: ] #417121
11/14/07 08:01 PM
11/14/07 08:01 PM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline OP
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline OP
Glider Lover
R

Florida
What I'm scared of is that the baby is BIGGER than me 2 year old glider. I have a feeling that the baby is going to be normal size. She's only going to get bigger but maybe its for the best, Maybe Kyuubi will stop attacking her when shes giant.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? [Re: Rieshu] #418418
11/17/07 02:27 AM
11/17/07 02:27 AM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline OP
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline OP
Glider Lover
R

Florida
Well, I tried having one in the cage and the other running around. I had the baby loose and I feel so bad for her. She stood on the other side of the bars and started to sqeek, as if to talk to my older glider, and sniffed close. My older glider was as mean as ever, biting and trying to swipe at her through the cage bars. frown Has anyone had gliders attacking one another in intros and turned out sucessful? I need encouragement.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? [Re: Rieshu] #418425
11/17/07 02:44 AM
11/17/07 02:44 AM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Rieshu, I have done intro's many times. Have you had them out together where they could touch each other? I think a lot of times the gliders get excited and do things that scare us, then when they are face to face in the open it turns out okay.
Intro tips for mom:
Have a travel cage in the room with the door open--if there is a fight, you can grab one, and pop it into the cage, close the cage door and then worry about the second glider.
Have several LARGE fleece blankets handy for grabbing gliders in case of a fight.
Bring treats and a camera.
Take a deep breath and watch and see. I never push them to come out of their pouches, I don't push them to each other, I learned to let them go at their own pace.

Good luck!

**Edited to add--I couldn't see all of the posts above the last 4 a few minutes ago.
If they are biting each other, that is not good. I'd keep up with the toy swapping and keep each other in the same room. Leave off the intros for a couple more weeks.

Last edited by USMom; 11/17/07 02:47 AM.

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? [Re: USMom] #418534
11/17/07 11:36 AM
11/17/07 11:36 AM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline OP
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline OP
Glider Lover
R

Florida
Yeah, I had them face to face and Kyuubi kept trying to bite her in the face. frown Just keep doing what I have been? Their cages were side by side again last night. I switched their pouches before bed too. Kyuubi seems to hate the new baby so much. It seems impossible that she'll just change her mind.

Re: NEED QUICK RESPONCE! Should I let her!?? [Re: Rieshu] #419710
11/19/07 11:25 AM
11/19/07 11:25 AM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline OP
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline OP
Glider Lover
R

Florida
Anyone? frown *needs a hug*

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 385 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,598 TEXAS
679,085 OHIO
487,177 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,700 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024