Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
New glider owner, just want to make sure. #512140
03/24/08 05:10 PM
03/24/08 05:10 PM

P
PereGrinus
Unregistered
PereGrinus
Unregistered
P

Okay so. I just got this glider, i drove down and got him from the people at wisconsinglider.com the only local breeder i could find. I had them neuter him a week prior to picking him up. Im not sure how to explain this, but i just wanna make sure its normal, he has a big red ball hanging under him, the lady said its suppose to fall off on its own, or the vets told her she could pull it off on her own, i just want to make sure this is normal.

Only other thing i see at the moment is, when i got there, and now that hes home in his new HUGE cage, hes still shaking, like i said, he was shaking when he was still there aswell. like hes scared, Don't know if this is normal or not. Usually i would read more indepth and search a bit more, but im in a hurry, so i know if hes okay or not.

he also seems to not want to venture very far from the top back corner of the cage. lol hes been there for like an hour. how do i coax him down to where he can get food, and stuff? or should i just let him chill in the cage for now?

I figured i would let him get a little acustomed to his cage before i pulled him back out and tried the bonding pouch a little more. Ive tired licky treats aswell, he just seems to be content in his corner, which is weird because theres a big nice soft fluffy pouch like 3 inches away from him. lol

Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: ] #512150
03/24/08 05:23 PM
03/24/08 05:23 PM
Florida
Flgliderlover Offline
Glider Explorer
Flgliderlover  Offline
Glider Explorer

Florida
I'm sure someone far more qualified than I will come along shortly to answer your questions. My concern is the big red ball. I would say that is NOT normal. Did your glider come with any pain meds or antibiodics? I would be careful with him that he does not SM (self mutilate) or over groom to the point it becomes SM. My glider was neutered recently and there was simply a small dot on the pom.

I would also ask for the name of the vet that did the neuter and question him/her. sounds like it might be an infection. In any event, posting a good picture of the area will help the more experienced owners give you an idea of what's going on. A trip to the vet is probably in order.

Hanging up in the corner means he's scared. Make sure he has a good diet, access to clean, fresh water, and let him become acclimated. Gliders are nocturnal, so I wouldn't expect much activity out of him during the day. He would probably not eat much the first day (night). You might tempt him with a slice of fresh apple. Just put it near his regular food and soon the scent will attract him.

Have you tried putting your scent in his pouch to help with the bonding process? Small swatches of fleece kept next to your skin then put in his pouch will help with this.

Good luck - hope he's okay.

Mom to 2 skin kids (both grown) heart
Grandma to 1 skin kid heart
Surrogate mom to 3 suggies - Peanut, Ariel, and Sheena, WT Female OOP 1/23/08 - woo hoo!!! heart
R.I.P. Maya, 2/3/13
Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: Flgliderlover] #512153
03/24/08 05:28 PM
03/24/08 05:28 PM

P
PereGrinus
Unregistered
PereGrinus
Unregistered
P

i have a shirt, and some other clothes in the bottom of the cage at the moment, and soem stuff in his pouch, I JUST got him home today, like literally 3 hours ago, he has a bunch of fresh fruits, 2 bottles of water ( i was told he was used to bottles already ) but he hasnt moved from his corner to even try to eat yet, i will take a picture a little later tonight when hes less scared. I have no idea how neutering works, she told me that the vet told her it would eventually fall off.. google.com seems to be having issues at the moment, when they comes back up i will be emailing her asap. all in all though, he does crab a little, but he lets me pet him, and feed him by finger, but he just will NOT come out of his little corner. lol

Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: ] #512155
03/24/08 05:31 PM
03/24/08 05:31 PM

V
vonny
Unregistered
vonny
Unregistered
V

I had my boy neutered this week and I was sent home with antibiotics. Mine had the pom taken off. I hope they did not just cut off the blood supply like I have heard steers can be done so it will fall off. I would take him to a vet asap. That does not sound normal. I was told if he became red and swollen to bring him back to the vet immediately. It sounds like some kind of infection.

Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: ] #512162
03/24/08 05:41 PM
03/24/08 05:41 PM

P
PereGrinus
Unregistered
PereGrinus
Unregistered
P

that figures, And i don't have a local vet, i will need to drive ALL the way back down to milwaukee now frown

for those of you who will yell at me for that! its not my fault, i'm moving to milwaukee in a month lol

i REALLY wish google wasn't down, its making me mad, i need to get into my gmail to email her.

Last edited by PereGrinus; 03/24/08 05:46 PM.
Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: ] #512176
03/24/08 06:01 PM
03/24/08 06:01 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Is there a chance that you can call instead? Waiting for email can take forever.
I'm concerned about his pom...this definitely does not sound normal.
Your little fella is just 'scared' this is normal. It is going to take him a little time to adjust to everything that's been going on in his little life so far.
Right now the most important thing to do is get his neutered site looked as ASAP!
I see where you mentioned that you have clothes on the bottom of his cage. I would suggest to remove those, there are to many dangers with their claws getting caught in loose threads. If you can use a sleep shirt or a piece of fleece that you've worn or slept with will help with the scent connection.
Did you put him in the cage with anything that he came with? I would put his old pouch that he had or something that has his scent on it, this too will help with him feeling less afraid.
Please keep us posted on how things go at the vet.

Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: ] #512178
03/24/08 06:02 PM
03/24/08 06:02 PM
Syracuse, NY
Kiiru Offline
Glider Addict
Kiiru  Offline
Glider Addict

Syracuse, NY
Yikes...it does sound like it might be infected. His pom should look deflated and there should be a red dot on it.

How bright is the room he's in right now? If it's too bright or if they're afraid, they'll freeze in one spot and not move. I'd say to cover the cage up and close all the blinds to make it dark in the room then either sit quietly or leave the room for a little bit then check to see if he moved.

What type of shaking is it? How does he look? Ears not straight up? Eyes not fully open? How about his nose? Is it pink, red, or a little/lot blueish?

I hope he'll be ok. hug2

-Nicole
2 doves,1 dog,and 5 gliders...
* Yin and Yang
* Razzle, Tictac, and Kitkat - "The trio"
Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: ] #512179
03/24/08 06:04 PM
03/24/08 06:04 PM

P
PereGrinus
Unregistered
PereGrinus
Unregistered
P

this is the best picture i could get at the moment. its not like RED, nor does it have the dark red, nasty infected looking type color, its just a light fleshy color, and it doesnt seem to bother him what so ever. So i don't know. Ill try to get a better picture later.

click for full-size

eek i didnt see the replies that fast LOL

the room is pretty dark, not pitch black, but i have shades over the windows and everything, i generally enjoy it being quite dark myself.

all i have in the cage, is a large normal T-shirt, and My pouches ( i had then with me the last 2 days ) and his old pouch is in there aswell.

Last edited by PereGrinus; 03/24/08 06:07 PM.
Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: ] #512180
03/24/08 06:07 PM
03/24/08 06:07 PM
Syracuse, NY
Kiiru Offline
Glider Addict
Kiiru  Offline
Glider Addict

Syracuse, NY
He's probably just scared then. Yikes! That pom does look terrible.

-Nicole
* Yin and Yang
Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: Kiiru] #512185
03/24/08 06:12 PM
03/24/08 06:12 PM

P
PereGrinus
Unregistered
PereGrinus
Unregistered
P

Originally Posted By: Kiiru
He's probably just scared then. Yikes! That pom does look terrible.

yes, this is why i was worried, she said the vet told her it should " fall off " but I knew something was weird. Does anyone know of any wisconsin vets? that are a little closer to the oshkosh/stevens point/appelton area? i know asking here is a long shot, but you never know, milwaukee is a 3 hour drive from here. =/

besides this whole neutering thing, he seems to be a very mild tempered and shy little guy, I just hope he isnt in any pain, i paid $250 for him, with the neutering.... the neutering itself was $75, is that to cheap for proper neutering? or?

Last edited by PereGrinus; 03/24/08 06:13 PM.
Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: Kiiru] #512188
03/24/08 06:18 PM
03/24/08 06:18 PM
Florida
Flgliderlover Offline
Glider Explorer
Flgliderlover  Offline
Glider Explorer

Florida
Check the vet database - maybe you can find somebody real close. I would get that looked at - it's not normal, unless, as someone said earlier, they simply cut off the blood supply so it would fall off. Grrr . . . don't you just wish some folks would get a taste of their own medicine?

You've had some good advice - take him to the vet, and otherwise, just give him some darkness, some quiet time with perhaps you just speaking softly to acclimate him to your voice. Don't push it - poor thing is scared. Not your fault - just how it is. They stress with moves and such, and this is all new for him. Does he have a simple toy to play with tonight? Anything suggie safe would do - you wouldn't have to get elaborate. If he had a companion or two before, he's going to miss them. A toy would help.

Mom to 2 skin kids (both grown) heart
Grandma to 1 skin kid heart
Surrogate mom to 3 suggies - Peanut, Ariel, and Sheena, WT Female OOP 1/23/08 - woo hoo!!! heart
R.I.P. Maya, 2/3/13
Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: Flgliderlover] #512189
03/24/08 06:21 PM
03/24/08 06:21 PM

P
PereGrinus
Unregistered
PereGrinus
Unregistered
P

is there a link on here for a vet database? im either blind, or missing it, lol

he has a wheel, other then that, not many "toy" toys, i have to buy a few this week ( i get paid tomarrow )

Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: ] #512191
03/24/08 06:22 PM
03/24/08 06:22 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
I really do not like the way that looks. Do you have a 24hour emergency vet in your area? Here is a link to our Vet Database maybe you can find a vet there. I know there are a few members from Wisconsin here, so hopefully someone from there will be able to give you better suggestions.
Just in case you do notice him trying to contiously groom you will want to have an e collar available to keep him from SMing (self mutalation).
How to make an ecollar. It's still early to where you can go and get the materials needed to make one to have on hand.

Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: LSardou] #512193
03/24/08 06:24 PM
03/24/08 06:24 PM

P
PereGrinus
Unregistered
PereGrinus
Unregistered
P

he was neutered on Wednesday last week, both i, and the previous owners have been watching, he hasn't been over grooming, at least not that i can tell, and the previous owners also said they didn't notice anything. So hopefully I don't need to go that far. but thank you for the link I will defiantly look now and see if i can find anything.

Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: LSardou] #512195
03/24/08 06:26 PM
03/24/08 06:26 PM
Gallatin, TN (near Nashville)
tngliderlover Offline
Glider Lover
tngliderlover  Offline
Glider Lover

Gallatin, TN (near Nashville)
Here's the link to the list of Wisconsin vets.
His pom doesn't look good. I would take him to a vet without delay!

http://www.glidercentral.net/links/pages...nsin/index.html

~Lynn~
Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: tngliderlover] #512197
03/24/08 06:28 PM
03/24/08 06:28 PM

P
PereGrinus
Unregistered
PereGrinus
Unregistered
P

Yeah, it looks like green bay might be the closest listed one, i will have to go out that way tomorrow and see what i can do.

Ill get ahold of the previous owner aswell, and see what she says. thanks for the help! feel free to add anything..

nevermind, green bay is listed, but they dont see sugar gliders? so i guess de'pere which is the same distance, which is less then half the way to milwaukee, thank god.

Last edited by PereGrinus; 03/24/08 06:32 PM.
Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: ] #512205
03/24/08 06:38 PM
03/24/08 06:38 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Sending lots of prayers your way. I hope that you can get him in to be looked at. He should be on some kind of antibiotic. Keep us posted on your progress. hug2

Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: ] #512206
03/24/08 06:39 PM
03/24/08 06:39 PM
Syracuse, NY
Kiiru Offline
Glider Addict
Kiiru  Offline
Glider Addict

Syracuse, NY
I found a vet in Appleton but I don't know if they see suggies and how they are. You'll have to call them and find out.
http://www.animalmedcenter-appleton.com/

Most of the vets I found are 1hr or more from you. There are a bunch of good reviews about them though.

Brookfield - http://www.brook-falls.com/
http://www.elmbrookvet.com/index.html

Glendale - http://www.animalemergencycenter.com/

Mequon - http://mypetsvetmequon.com/

West Allis - http://www.spiritof76vet.com/

-Nicole
* Yin and Yang
Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: Kiiru] #512235
03/24/08 07:01 PM
03/24/08 07:01 PM

P
PereGrinus
Unregistered
PereGrinus
Unregistered
P

Originally Posted By: Kiiru
I found a vet in Appleton but I don't know if they see suggies and how they are. You'll have to call them and find out.
http://www.animalmedcenter-appleton.com/

Most of the vets I found are 1hr or more from you. There are a bunch of good reviews about them though.

Brookfield - http://www.brook-falls.com/
http://www.elmbrookvet.com/index.html

Glendale - http://www.animalemergencycenter.com/

Mequon - http://mypetsvetmequon.com/

West Allis - http://www.spiritof76vet.com/

yeah, i was actually digging in the phonebook for appleton a few minutes ago LOL thanks! ill have to give them a call now that i know the number.

im still waiting on a number for the vet who did this, so i can ask them some questions.

i got him to sit in the food bowl, and then i put him down on a piece of fleece, hoping her would eat a little, but i ended up spooking him, when i closed the door frown lol

Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: ] #512278
03/24/08 07:31 PM
03/24/08 07:31 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
At least that was progress with getting him to sit on the food dish. Your going to do great with your little baby!
I'm happy to see that Kiiru was able to get some vet links for you.....
thumb

Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: LSardou] #512307
03/24/08 08:07 PM
03/24/08 08:07 PM

P
PereGrinus
Unregistered
PereGrinus
Unregistered
P

yeah, i would really like to get him back into the bonding pouch again, but i dont wanna force it. he was running around having a blast for the last hour while i was upstairs, but as soon as i came back in the room, hes back up hiding in his corner lol

im going to call the lady, and the appelton vet tomorrow, HOPEFULLY i can take him there.

Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: ] #512316
03/24/08 08:19 PM
03/24/08 08:19 PM

P
PereGrinus
Unregistered
PereGrinus
Unregistered
P

just got off the phone with the vet who did it. he was a very nice guy, and he explained a bunch of stuff to me about how it was done, and why he isn't on antibiotics etc... which made sense. He said to just watch it carefully, and if anything develops that i could bring him back in and they would look him over. So I'll still call appelton and everything, and find a local vet for now, but he made me feel better about the whole thing.

I just think its a really cruel way to neuter.. he said they didnt have the equipment to do it with the lasers. and he said, it should actually fall of in the next 3-4 days?

So im a little bit more at ease.

Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: ] #512333
03/24/08 08:55 PM
03/24/08 08:55 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
I agree with you 100%! It sure is a cruel way to do it. Thanks for putting forth the time and effort in getting down to the bottom of things with your little guy. It sounds like your going to be one terrific glider parent! I hope things start to heal up for him soon.
Good luck and please keep us posted.

Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: LSardou] #512390
03/24/08 10:01 PM
03/24/08 10:01 PM

P
PereGrinus
Unregistered
PereGrinus
Unregistered
P

Originally Posted By: LSardou
I agree with you 100%! It sure is a cruel way to do it. Thanks for putting forth the time and effort in getting down to the bottom of things with your little guy. It sounds like your going to be one terrific glider parent! I hope things start to heal up for him soon.
Good luck and please keep us posted.

i hope so laugh I have a large log, thats hollowed out, kind of hanging on one of those 3 foot rope toys. But he keeps pulling the bark off of it and dropping it into the pan, any particulor reason he does that? is he just exploring, and playing? or is the bark bad? i got it from here:http://www.sugar-gliders.com/nest-box.htm

i just dont want him to get sick from it, i kinda like how its hanging right now, and he really enjoys it too, he likes to grab food from the dish, run all the way to the top, and eat it in the swinging log, its cute lol

Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: ] #512393
03/24/08 10:04 PM
03/24/08 10:04 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
I have one of those too! They love to pick off the pieces...It sounds like he is having a great time! See, he's already starting to relax! I happy for ya! clap

Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: LSardou] #512412
03/24/08 10:25 PM
03/24/08 10:25 PM

P
PereGrinus
Unregistered
PereGrinus
Unregistered
P

Originally Posted By: LSardou
I have one of those too! They love to pick off the pieces...It sounds like he is having a great time! See, he's already starting to relax! I happy for ya! clap

smile i reach in every little bit and let him sniff me when i give him some fruit, i know hes hungry, he just wont go to the bottom to get it himself, lol

he actully climbed into the sleeping pouch i got him for like 5 minutes, then he crawled out, dunno what he was doing, lol i thought he might finally sleep a little since he hasnt all day. but nope.

Only problem right now, is that i need my room a little cooler to be comfortable enough to sleep i usually keep the room around 16-18C which is like 60-65F? i think. I got one of those ceramic heat emitter things, i just havnt tested it yet, so i dunno how its going to work. is 60-65F to cold for him? Should i turn the heat thing on at night to keep his cage area warmer, even though the room is cooler?

how hot do those things get exactly? if you know tounge i thought about getting the little thermostat thing with it, but it was an extra 56 dollars or something... thats to much

Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: ] #512642
03/25/08 09:12 AM
03/25/08 09:12 AM
Syracuse, NY
Kiiru Offline
Glider Addict
Kiiru  Offline
Glider Addict

Syracuse, NY
60-65 is too cold for him. What wattage Ceramic Heat Emitter did you get? I have a 100 watt one and it really doesn't do much unless I have my cage covered nicely to keep the heat in. I think my room gets down to 61-64 at night but my cage manages to stay a toasty 70-75F because I keep it covered.

You should pick up a fleece blanket to cover the cage with...those things keep in heat nicely! I'm baaad...I have a flannel sheet and comforter over the back, top, sides, and half the front of my cage and a little fleece blanket on the top. >.<

I'd say to just set the emitter up on a side so the heat can move throughout the whole cage. Keep in mind that heat rises so you'll want to put 1 pouch near the top and 1 near the bottom somewhere away from the heat. That way he can pick which pouch he wants to sleep in. Just make sure you have fleece blankets in the pouches and some extra blankies in the cage incase he needs them. If they're too cold, they'll drag some into the pouch. If they're too hot, they push them out.

The hottest temperature gliders should really be in is 85F so you don't have much to worry about. It's fun to lift up the cover in the morning because it's sooo warm in there. roflmao Half the time, I just want to curl up in my cage with them. (I like it to be in the 70s during the day but my mom doesn't -.-;; We keep the house at a chilly 65 during the day and 61-65 at night so my emitter stays on alllll the time)

Last nights night of coldness shouldn't hurt him if he had lots of blankies though. Shhh...my babies had to endure a chilly 60 the first night..... =X

Hows the little man doing? laugh

-Nicole
* Yin and Yang
Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: Kiiru] #512662
03/25/08 10:06 AM
03/25/08 10:06 AM
Ohio
gryphon214 Offline
Glider Explorer
gryphon214  Offline
Glider Explorer

Ohio
This sounds like one of these neuters where they tie around the base of the scrotum to cut off the blood supply then let it just die and fall off. Not my favorite neutering practice...

Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: gryphon214] #512663
03/25/08 10:11 AM
03/25/08 10:11 AM

O
outnumbered421
Unregistered
outnumbered421
Unregistered
O

OUCH! Duke is going in for his neuter this week and that makes me want to scream! I have called the vet to make sure they are not doing that! Thanks for bringing this to my attention, it has made me ask lots of questions! I have a second phone call into my vet about the neuter!

Re: New glider owner, just want to make sure. [Re: ] #512665
03/25/08 10:17 AM
03/25/08 10:17 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
That is DEFINITELY not right! It looks infected. I'd also recommend oral antibiotics for at least 14 days, and a vet that will 'finish' the job if they did 'tie it off'. This can't wait. worried

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024