Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Self Mutilation 5-HTP? #736558
02/16/09 05:20 PM
02/16/09 05:20 PM
Lake Worth, FL
Gregg Offline OP
Glider Explorer
Gregg  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Lake Worth, FL
One of my gliders (I have two - brothers both 9 years old) has a pretty deep wound. I took him to the vet today and she put him on antibiotics (amoxicillin). She said it looks like self mutilation. She said it could be that he got a wound which resulted in self mutilation or just that he started self mutilating. It's the first time I've had a problem like this with either glider. They get along quite well. I also have a cat, but they are never out of the cage when he's in the room although sometimes he might slap at the cage while I'm holding them. She said it didn't look like a claw wound.

Anyway, one of the things she discussed was giving him 5-HTP to decrease anxiety behaviors in case that's the reason for the SM. She admitted that she'd never used this on a glider before, but said as far as she's read it is safe for other animals and assumes it would be for gliders too. I told her I'd check on this board and she agreed that would be a good idea. So has anyone ever heard of using 5-HTP for gliders? I'm very hesitant to try it unless I know it's safe for sure. Plus the dosing seems difficult since I'd need to break up a capsule into about 100 servings.

Thanks.

Re: Self Mutilation 5-HTP? [Re: Gregg] #736566
02/16/09 05:39 PM
02/16/09 05:39 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I have never heard of this used in sugar gliders. I would be concerned about using it because it affects serotonin and we do not know enough about the brain chemistry of a glider to start this as a first line of defense against SM. It may be something to consider in a glider that has had repeated problems with SM, but not something to use with a first experience. Plus, you have to take into account proper dosage (as you said) and also consider that added B6 is usually needed for proper use of the 5-HTP anyway (which is another dosage concern).

Since this sounds like the first time your boy has had this wound (and it is not even for certain that he IS SMing) I would follow protocals of care for a glider with an open wound/possible SM and see how he does first, before considering adding supplements that we aren't sure of the effect.

You need to get him in an e-collar to assure that he cannot reach the wound and cause further damage if it is him. E-collar instructions can be found here . Make sure that you keep the wound clean and keep him on the antibiotics as long as they are prescribed (even if he seems to be doing better).

Here is the SM site, there will be more information about SM and emergency contact numbers if you need help with the e-collar or fitting it. We have several members here that have dealt with wounds, I am sure they will be along soon to help you with wound care and what things to watch for, etc. Please do keep us updated on how he is doing as you can. hug2

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Self Mutilation 5-HTP? [Re: sugarlope] #736646
02/16/09 08:19 PM
02/16/09 08:19 PM
Lake Worth, FL
Gregg Offline OP
Glider Explorer
Gregg  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Lake Worth, FL
Thanks. I gave him his first dose of antibiotics a little while ago. He took them no problem. I held him in my hands for about 1/2 hour. He didn't seem to interested in the wound. He was more preoccupied with grooming his... err... private area crazy. I'll have to keep an eye on his brother to make sure he's not the culprit. Anything else I should do to the wound area (hydrogen peroxide, antibiotic ointment, etc.)?

Re: Self Mutilation 5-HTP? [Re: Gregg] #736895
02/17/09 05:31 AM
02/17/09 05:31 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Gregg,
Flush the wound at least twice daily with sterile saline solution. Also, apply an antibiotic ointment to the area. You can get one from the vet called Silver Sulfadiazine Cream (SSD) that works very well.

Also, you will need to separate him from his brother until the wound is completely healed. When the fur starts to grow back in, then it will be healed internally as well as externally. It will appear healed before the fur starts to grow back in, but it won't be yet. This is very important because otherwise his brother WILL groom the wound, trying to "help" and will cause it to heal more slowly, if not actually make the wound worse.

I've never heard of using 5-HTP for gliders either - I wouldn't recommend it.

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Self Mutilation 5-HTP? [Re: sugarglidersuz] #736921
02/17/09 09:29 AM
02/17/09 09:29 AM
Long Island, NY
Gossamer Offline
Glider Slave
Gossamer  Offline
Glider Slave

Long Island, NY
SM is one of those things a vet diagnoses because the book says it's common. Do you think he is SMing? I've been told an SMing glider makes this hideous crab/scream sound and rips himself open. Your boy may just have a wound that he is overgrooming. Treat the wound first and see how it goes.

Jeannine

3 Cats (Spike, Kismet, Honeycat)
1 understanding Husband
1 WFB Neutered Glider boy - Grissom! (oop 8/7/06) :wfb:
1 BB Glider girl- Willows! (oop 1/7/07) :bb:
Re: Self Mutilation 5-HTP? [Re: Gossamer] #737025
02/17/09 02:28 PM
02/17/09 02:28 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Quote:
I've been told an SMing glider makes this hideous crab/scream sound and rips himself open.

NOT ALL SM'ING GLIDERS MAKE THE SM CRY/SCREAM/NOISE/SOUND!
(not yelling at you, just want to make sure people see this)

Yes, there is a SM sound that gliders make that is horrible but not all self mutilators make it and I'd hate for anyone to think that because their glider never made a sound that it wasn't self mutilation.

Sorry. Where is the wound on this glider? Location of the wound might give a hint as to just what happened. What does the wound look like? Size etc?

The silvadine ointment Suz suggested not only helps heal but also has some antibiotic properties to it as well. That is what they often use with severe burn victims. (my son in law was badly burned)

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Self Mutilation 5-HTP? [Re: Dancing] #737071
02/17/09 04:07 PM
02/17/09 04:07 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
Gregg, you've been given excellent advice. Please let us know where the wound is, and a picture of it, if you have one. That would be most helpful.

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: Self Mutilation 5-HTP? [Re: Dancing] #737221
02/17/09 09:50 PM
02/17/09 09:50 PM
Lake Worth, FL
Gregg Offline OP
Glider Explorer
Gregg  Offline OP
Glider Explorer

Lake Worth, FL
Quote:
Sorry. Where is the wound on this glider? Location of the wound might give a hint as to just what happened. What does the wound look like? Size etc?

The silvadine ointment Suz suggested not only helps heal but also has some antibiotic properties to it as well. That is what they often use with severe burn victims. (my son in law was badly burned)

Trying to visualize it without going and grabbing him now, but I'd say it's slightly above and behind the shoulder area. It's probably a bit bigger than the size of a pencil eraser. It was fairly deep. Hard to describe though. When I looked at it today it looked like it was starting to scab a bit which I take as a good sign it wasn't being picked at last night. I'll have to see if I can get a picture.

I'll call my vet regarding the silvadine ointment and buy some saline solution tomorrow. Thanks all for your help so far. Will keep you updated if anything changes or else after my vet visit next week.

Re: Self Mutilation 5-HTP? [Re: Gregg] #737300
02/18/09 12:37 AM
02/18/09 12:37 AM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Ok, if it is on his shoulder/back, he did not self mutilate. Their teeth just can't reach that spot. Chances are either he got a small abcess that ruptured (which could have been caused by just a toe nail stick from himself or his cage mate and then became infected) or his cage mate inflicted this wound (which can happen with dominance issues, not just mating). Either way, he will need to be kept seperate from his cage mate until it is fully healed and fur is growing back.

His cage mate will "groom" this wound trying to help but it will only make it worse.

In my experience with these "types" of wounds, it should be left open to allow it to heal from the inside out, so no stitches. If it is stitched shut, a drain is usually needed so that any infection can drain.

The good news is, he shouldn't need an ecollar because his teeth can't reach it. He may develope an issue with scratching it with his back feet though if it gets itchy. The silvadine will help prevent the itching though.

Last edited by Dancing; 02/18/09 12:38 AM. Reason: changed a non dirty word that was censored anyway

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Self Mutilation 5-HTP? [Re: Dancing] #737381
02/18/09 06:49 AM
02/18/09 06:49 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
I agree with Teresa - it is likely a dominance wound, not self-inflicted. You really don't want to allow it to scab over. As Teresa said, the wound needs to be able to drain in order to heal properly. That is the reason for using the saline rinse twice a day - to keep the scab from forming and keep the wound cleaned out. As I mentioned before, the SSD Cream is an antibiotic ointment. It will keep the wound soft, contribute healing due to the antibiotic properties, and will also help to prevent a scab from developing so the wound can drain and heal.
Definitely separate him from his brother until the fur grows back in.

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024