Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fear of taking my Glider Places. #807144
07/14/09 06:59 PM
07/14/09 06:59 PM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline OP
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline OP
Glider Lover
R

Florida
I know lots of people say that they bring their Gliders everywhere. I happen to think that my Sugar Glider is made out of very thin glass. I want to know if my fears are logical or over-protective and maybe if some of you can assure me.. that she wont break on me.

Things I'm scared of:
-Taking her ANYWHERE because of how hot it is. It's over 90 degrees outside and if we're leaving the car and then going inside I'm scared the WALK from the heat to the AC will be enough to hurt her.

-Noise. I've wanted to take my Glider to the mall with me to show some old co-workers but I'm really scared that the noise will be too much. I know a friend of mine had a glider that he took to a HUGE Sci Fi convention with hundreds of people.

-Other people. What if someone accidentally runs into you? or bumps into your side or shoulder with your glider inside?

These are my biggest fears..I barely even carry my glider around the house because I'm even scared of tripping and falling on her... I really must sound crazy now, huh?

Re: Fear of taking my Glider Places. [Re: Rieshu] #807149
07/14/09 07:03 PM
07/14/09 07:03 PM
Jupiter, Florida
SugaWhit Offline
Glider Guardian
SugaWhit  Offline
Glider Guardian

Jupiter, Florida
No not crazy at all-
I will tell you with my first little girl, she went Everywhere. And I mean everywhere, highschool every day, work, college, horse shows, dinners, lunches etc.

I did not bring her to the hair and nail salon due to the chemicals, but that was about it.

My current pair are still getting used to me, but I am slowly bringing them everywhere with me now. My first little girl was a total bra baby though, and just wanted to curl up and hang out. These two are more of explorers.

How long have you had her?

Mom to (heaven help me!) Three pairs of wonderful Glider kids-
Nero :rtmo:
Cupid a :cream: & Ceres :rtmo: +1 boy oop
Warbuck :plat: & Lysia :rtmo: & Clarissa with Twins oop each!
http://palmbeachgliders.webs.com/
Re: Fear of taking my Glider Places. [Re: SugaWhit] #807151
07/14/09 07:05 PM
07/14/09 07:05 PM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline OP
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline OP
Glider Lover
R

Florida
High school?? Really? Did all the talking at like lunch time phase them? or are they just chill.

About 3 years now is how long I've had her. She is not the problem, we're very much bonded and I have a feeling she'd go anywhere, I'm just too scared to bring her much of anywhere with me.

Edit: I live about 20 minutes from Jupiter! Wow

Last edited by Rieshu; 07/14/09 07:05 PM.
Re: Fear of taking my Glider Places. [Re: Rieshu] #807157
07/14/09 07:08 PM
07/14/09 07:08 PM

M
margrrets
Unregistered
margrrets
Unregistered
M

High school?! ahah I can not imagine taking my girl to school!

haha did she ever crab during class?

Re: Fear of taking my Glider Places. [Re: ] #807165
07/14/09 07:25 PM
07/14/09 07:25 PM
Bristol, Va
MissSarah Offline
Glider Addict
MissSarah  Offline
Glider Addict

Bristol, Va
I totally know how you feel. I had an awful experience the first time i took my boy out with me ( Dexter Takes On Walmart. ) and now im terrified to take him out again frown I just feel like too much can go wrong now. cry

Proud Mom to Princess Pim The Insane. heart(and several other babies, skin and fur.)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. Gliders have indentured servants.

:rbridge: Dexter. You left blueberry stains on my wall and pawprints on my heart. I love you Decker-Boy. heart
Full Moon Gliders
(Under Construction)

Re: Fear of taking my Glider Places. [Re: MissSarah] #807168
07/14/09 07:35 PM
07/14/09 07:35 PM

M
margrrets
Unregistered
margrrets
Unregistered
M

OH MY GOODNESS that is a scary story :[ I think I would have died! Luckily someone pointed out to you that little Dexter was running around!

Re: Fear of taking my Glider Places. [Re: ] #807184
07/14/09 07:59 PM
07/14/09 07:59 PM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline OP
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline OP
Glider Lover
R

Florida
Oh wow! Go go Dex!! I have to say that I think my biggest fear is the temperature.

Re: Fear of taking my Glider Places. [Re: ] #807189
07/14/09 08:02 PM
07/14/09 08:02 PM
Bristol, Va
MissSarah Offline
Glider Addict
MissSarah  Offline
Glider Addict

Bristol, Va
Yea frown If i even think about that day it sets me on the verge of a panic attack. He was fine as long as he was on my body, but he did not dig riding in my bag.

Proud Mom to Princess Pim The Insane. heart(and several other babies, skin and fur.)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. Gliders have indentured servants.

:rbridge: Dexter. You left blueberry stains on my wall and pawprints on my heart. I love you Decker-Boy. heart
Full Moon Gliders
(Under Construction)

Re: Fear of taking my Glider Places. [Re: Rieshu] #807206
07/14/09 08:20 PM
07/14/09 08:20 PM
Jupiter, Florida
SugaWhit Offline
Glider Guardian
SugaWhit  Offline
Glider Guardian

Jupiter, Florida
Originally Posted By: Rieshu
High school?? Really? Did all the talking at like lunch time phase them? or are they just chill.

About 3 years now is how long I've had her. She is not the problem, we're very much bonded and I have a feeling she'd go anywhere, I'm just too scared to bring her much of anywhere with me.

Edit: I live about 20 minutes from Jupiter! Wow

Not once ever. From what I am reading on here, and from my newest pair, I really had something special with Trixy. She was friendly with everyone, anyone could handle her, came when called, etc etc. Nothing bothered her at all, and she would snack on what ever I had brought her, or sneak something off my lunch.
Towards the end of highschool she was more of a celeberity, though I did have to start hiding her as some teachers would get offended. She lived in my bra, or in a sock tucked into my belt when I was in a class that would get weird about her.

(We didn't have pouches or any of the other fun things that you see now so readily avaliable- I am 25 now, and I got her when I was 13, and lost her when she was close to 13 years old. 5 months shy if her OOP date is correct, which from what I saw later on, it was.)

As she and I got older, I made some pouches, but she was always friendly, always happy to come out and say hi and glide around. I still really really miss her.

And 20 min from jupiter! We should go get lunch! laugh

Last edited by SugaWhit; 07/14/09 08:36 PM.

Re: Fear of taking my Glider Places. [Re: SugaWhit] #807208
07/14/09 08:23 PM
07/14/09 08:23 PM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline OP
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline OP
Glider Lover
R

Florida
Since you live in Florida too. Does the outside scare you with how hott it is? With them in a pouch + the heat, it scares the life out of me.

Re: Fear of taking my Glider Places. [Re: Rieshu] #807215
07/14/09 08:39 PM
07/14/09 08:39 PM
Jupiter, Florida
SugaWhit Offline
Glider Guardian
SugaWhit  Offline
Glider Guardian

Jupiter, Florida
With my newest ones, yes, the fleece pouches scare the bejebus out of me, so they stay in for now. I do have one that has duel screens being made for me (Super excited!!) but for now, they stay home.

It also doesn't help that I spent far more then I had originally intended on them, and they are not super bonded to me yet.... and as my boyfriend points out, I have yet to get the insurance policy!

With Trixy, she rode in my bra and went everywhere with no problem, every day, everywhere. At horse shows I would make sure she was being held by someone in the shade with a fan, but asides that, she was with me, drinking my drinks and hanging out.

Re: Fear of taking my Glider Places. [Re: SugaWhit] #807218
07/14/09 08:41 PM
07/14/09 08:41 PM
Jupiter, Florida
SugaWhit Offline
Glider Guardian
SugaWhit  Offline
Glider Guardian

Jupiter, Florida
The idea of the pouch not breathing is what is scary I should clarify.

Logic says it's darn hot where they come from, so as long as they can move them selves to a place where they are not over heating, they should be fine.
A zippered pouch could be a death trap in this heat, esp if there isn't enough air coming through.

Re: Fear of taking my Glider Places. [Re: SugaWhit] #807232
07/14/09 09:00 PM
07/14/09 09:00 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
They have bonding pouches with suggie safe screen windows on one side. I use them in the summer months. It can get hot and humid here in Wisconsin.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Fear of taking my Glider Places. [Re: Feather] #807288
07/14/09 10:08 PM
07/14/09 10:08 PM
NW Missouri
princessmegi Offline
Serious Glideritis
princessmegi  Offline
Serious Glideritis

NW Missouri
The pouch not breathing is why many of us use Sissy pouches. They have mesh on one side, so you don't have to worry about circulation or heat building up.

"My doctrine is this: that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and we do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt." ~ Anna Sewell, English Novelist
Re: Fear of taking my Glider Places. [Re: princessmegi] #807503
07/15/09 10:41 AM
07/15/09 10:41 AM

B
buttercup
Unregistered
buttercup
Unregistered
B

I have a bonding pouch that's made out of cotton and has a mesh window. Texas heat is a monster so if I do want to take mine anywhere, i use that pouch. You might want to try a cotton one.

Lethe is still new, and settling in but goes in my sports bra almost every morning (except when i have to work an early shift). Im not comfy yet with taking her anywhere right now, until she is more bonded to me. And she's like 13 weeks oop so she's not a deep sleeper at the moment lol...

Re: Fear of taking my Glider Places. [Re: ] #807515
07/15/09 11:00 AM
07/15/09 11:00 AM
IL (St. Louis area)
StitchsMom Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
StitchsMom  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

IL (St. Louis area)
I had a scary experience that has certainly affected how often I take my gliders out with me.

I had two of my suggies with me in a sissy pouch. This was a few years ago. I was driving with a friend to pick up movie tickets. On the way there, I was in an accident. My car collided head on with a van in an intersection. My seat belt tightened across my chest AND the sissy pouch during the collision as I was forced forward from the force of the crash. I was squishing them!

I was scared out of my mind for my sugar gliders. They ended up being okay, but I swear that's only because the airbags didn't deploy. I shutter to think about what would have happened if they had...

I'm not really scared once I reach my destination with them. It's getting them there that scares me. I have a kennel that I clip a pouch to. The kennel gets belted in. My other transport plan involves putting a sissy pouch on a front seat like a backpack (so the pouch faces the backseat). I use safety pins to clip the pouch to the seat by the straps. I prefer using the kennel + pouch though.

~*~Jenny and the fur kids~*~
>>> Sugar Glider Slave <<<
Re: Fear of taking my Glider Places. [Re: StitchsMom] #807559
07/15/09 12:31 PM
07/15/09 12:31 PM

P
Paige
Unregistered
Paige
Unregistered
P

Oh my goodness.!. That would have scared me to death. I'm a new glider mom and I have similar fears about taking mine anywhere outside the house. I got her form a friend who couldn't take care of her anymore, so it's taking longer for her to bond with me. She's starting to warm up to me though.

Re: Fear of taking my Glider Places. [Re: princessmegi] #807749
07/15/09 07:05 PM
07/15/09 07:05 PM

T
Taylor422
Unregistered
Taylor422
Unregistered
T

Originally Posted By: princessmegi
The pouch not breathing is why many of us use Sissy Pouches. They have mesh on one side, so you don't have to worry about circulation or heat building up.

Does anyone have a picture of one of these? I might want to look into something like this, since I live in Georgia and it goes get quite hot.

Re: Fear of taking my Glider Places. [Re: ] #807780
07/15/09 08:12 PM
07/15/09 08:12 PM

A
Amanda1981
Unregistered
Amanda1981
Unregistered
A

I seriously doubt that Kyuubi-chan, "Destroyer of Worlds" will be hurt by going from hot to cold. roflmao Sorry, not trying to make fun, just laughing because ... well, because of the nick-name. smile

Honestly, smooshing is a concern of mine as well. I have 2 rambunctious bulldogs and if one of them should jump on me while I'm carrying them, I think it could be curtains for the sug. frown

How many people HONESTLY run into your stomach in the mall? wink You'll be fine. Imagine your odds of tripping and busting your face at the mall. How many times have you done that? dunno My guess is, not that many. I mean, I've been to the mall several times, I even worked in the mall, but only once have I seen someone hurt themselves and never have I hurt myself.

Noise... as long as you're not going to a rock concert, and as long as the noise is a constant noise, I wouldn't worry too much. thumb

What I WOULD worry about is CAR safety. People... please don't wear your glider in the car. Strap them to an empty seat away from AIRBAGS. If you're in the car driving, and you have your sug strapped on, where does it hang? Where is your steering wheel? Where is your airbag? Do you know what it feels like to have an airbag go off on you? Are you aware that airbags cause burns and can break bones? THIS is why I don't travel much with my gliders. My cousin was blinded for 3 weeks from airbag burns to his eyes, and his cheek was broken.

So how's that for flippin' you out just a LITTLE more. roflmao

Re: Fear of taking my Glider Places. [Re: ] #807783
07/15/09 08:19 PM
07/15/09 08:19 PM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline OP
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline OP
Glider Lover
R

Florida
Well maybe now that I'm getting two new Smugglers from you I can over-come my fear! Kyuubi is a Nine Tailed Demon Fox, she wants to tear the world up!!!

I will be waiting until it's cooler though. The heat outside is too much for even me!

Re: Fear of taking my Glider Places. [Re: ] #807785
07/15/09 08:27 PM
07/15/09 08:27 PM

B
BBsuggiesBG
Unregistered
BBsuggiesBG
Unregistered
B

Originally Posted By: Amanda1981
Strap them to an empty seat away from AIRBAGS. If you're in the car driving, and you have your sug strapped on, where does it hang? Where is your steering wheel? Where is your airbag? Do you know what it feels like to have an airbag go off on you? Are you aware that airbags cause burns and can break bones? THIS is why I don't travel much with my gliders. My cousin was blinded for 3 weeks from airbag burns to his eyes, and his cheek was broken.

Airbags deploy at 200mph or faster... One thing I did learn in driving school.

Last edited by BBsuggiesBG; 07/15/09 08:27 PM.
Re: Fear of taking my Glider Places. [Re: ] #807786
07/15/09 08:31 PM
07/15/09 08:31 PM

A
Amanda1981
Unregistered
Amanda1981
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: BBsuggiesBG
Originally Posted By: Amanda1981
Strap them to an empty seat away from AIRBAGS. If you're in the car driving, and you have your sug strapped on, where does it hang? Where is your steering wheel? Where is your airbag? Do you know what it feels like to have an airbag go off on you? Are you aware that airbags cause burns and can break bones? THIS is why I don't travel much with my gliders. My cousin was blinded for 3 weeks from airbag burns to his eyes, and his cheek was broken.

Airbags deploy at 200mph or faster... One thing I did learn in driving school.
Not to mention impact from a wreck! I suggest sticking them in the back seat, in the middle if you can! Check for "air bag" tags in your car, showing you where they'll deploy. Some cars have "curtains" that come down in the back seat, so even there isn't completely safe... worried ...I'm a worry wart about car safety.

Originally Posted By: Rieshu
Well maybe now that I'm getting two new Smugglers from you I can over-come my fear! Kyuubi is a Nine Tailed Demon Fox, she wants to tear the world up!!!

I will be waiting until it's cooler though. The heat outside is too much for even me!

No kidding, I don't want to be out in this heat either! Bleh!

I hope the Smuggler helps!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 155 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,547 TEXAS
679,062 OHIO
487,124 OKLAHOMA
432,131 UTAH
321,659 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024