Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Adopted paralyzed glider #807668
07/15/09 04:59 PM
07/15/09 04:59 PM

J
Junos_Mom
Unregistered
Junos_Mom
Unregistered
J

I just adopted my daughter's glider which is partially paralyzed in the rear, the vet says due to jumping from too high, but I feel it is more likely a calcium deficiency. In addition, she mutilated her rear toes and is now in an e-collar. I have been hand feeding, watering, grooming, for the past three days and am learning as I go. I have some questions if anyone can help.

(1) How much do they eat a day. She is eating really well, I think, but not being sure how much they actually eat, I'm not sure. I picked her up some baby food with calcium and vit D and she loves eggs as well as grapes. She is resistent to eating the glider diet but will eat beechnut nibbles which are for toddlers and are similar to cereal and have both calcium and vit D as well as other nutrients.

(2) How much water do they drink? I am giving her water with a medicine dropper and she is drinking about 1.0 ml a day, generally about .5 ml at a time, after that she shakes it off. I am worried that is not enough, but she will also suck on grapes.

(3) How long should she wear the e collar? We will probably change it tonight as she is starting to smell, from the baby food, etc. that has dripped into the collar, but we plan on putting on another one. Her toes are not completely healed, but have scabbed over. I don't know how long is safe for her to wear, as she still fights daily trying to get it off, but I don't want to risk her biting her toes again.

She is still very mobile, but we removed her out of her large cage and have her in a ten gallon critter cage I have padded with baby blankets and have in my office while she is healing but let her out a few times a day to play on the bed while I watch her, she crawls all over pillows, etc. using only her front legs. I work from home, so I am able to check on her frequently and am keeping her from sleeping on her back as I read that could cause pneumonia.

Any suggestions or tips anyone has will be greatly appreciated as I know nothing about this little girl but when my daughter called for help, I couldn't turn her away.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: ] #807671
07/15/09 05:02 PM
07/15/09 05:02 PM
Hampton, Virginia
vagraphix Offline
Glider Addict
vagraphix  Offline
Glider Addict

Hampton, Virginia
is your vet a glider knowledgeable vet? Where in Florida are you? I'm sure someone will know of a great vet you could see about the back legs.

Debra
Two sons in the U.S. Army
Slaves to:
Mikki, Loki & Thor
dogs: Morgan & Isabella
Bunnies Bob & TMan
gangel RIP Wellington, Minnie & Dazzle bunny, Willow July 6 2013, Squirtle 7-24-09, Maggie May 12-14-10

Licensed wildlife rehabilitator - Cottontail Rabbits & Squirrels
Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: vagraphix] #807672
07/15/09 05:04 PM
07/15/09 05:04 PM
Hampton, Virginia
vagraphix Offline
Glider Addict
vagraphix  Offline
Glider Addict

Hampton, Virginia
Also have you lookedat the links for the diets yet? If not please get her on one of the diets so that she gets the nutrition that she needs. The diets explain how much to feed her. Do you have a water bottle? She should be able to drink from it even with an ecollar.

Last edited by vagraphix; 07/15/09 05:04 PM.

Debra
Slaves to:
Mikki, Loki & Thor
Bunnies Bob & TMan
gangel RIP Wellington, Minnie & Dazzle bunny, Willow July 6 2013, Squirtle 7-24-09, Maggie May 12-14-10

Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: ] #807674
07/15/09 05:05 PM
07/15/09 05:05 PM
Iowa
Lindsay Offline
Glider Guardian
Lindsay  Offline
Glider Guardian

Iowa
So she is not on an approved glider diet? Have you tried all of them? I would say it could be HLP due to a calcium deficiency, but I am not an expert.

As far as how much she should eat, it depends upon the diet. There are many diets in the diet section that are approved and would tell you exactly how much to feed her every day.

I know someone with more experience and knowledge will come along soon.

Lindsay

Lindsay
Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: Lindsay] #807680
07/15/09 05:14 PM
07/15/09 05:14 PM

J
Junos_Mom
Unregistered
Junos_Mom
Unregistered
J

She is on glider formula, it's called Sunseed Sunscription Vita Sugar Glider Formula. But since my daughter lives on her own, I can't really say how well the glider ate the food. I know she loves grapes, and am afraid she may have eaten more of those than the glider food my daughter kept in her bowl.

I do have a water bottle, but because she can't sit, and with the e collar, she has not been able to drink from it.

Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: ] #807684
07/15/09 05:16 PM

J
Junos_Mom
Unregistered
Junos_Mom
Unregistered
J

I forgot to address the vet, he does specialize in small animals. My daughter worked for a vet for two years and he referred her to this one for the suggie.

Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: ] #807685
Hampton, Virginia
vagraphix Offline
Glider Addict
vagraphix  Offline
Glider Addict

Hampton, Virginia
http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=2&page=1
Please read about approved diets. The one she is on is not a good one.

Debra
Slaves to:
Mikki, Loki & Thor
Bunnies Bob & TMan

Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: vagraphix] #807686
07/15/09 05:17 PM
07/15/09 05:17 PM
Iowa
Lindsay Offline
Glider Guardian
Lindsay  Offline
Glider Guardian

Iowa
I also replied to your intro post and gave you a link to Misty's website that tells all approved glider diets and how to make them.

Lindsay

Lindsay
Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: ] #807687
07/15/09 05:18 PM
07/15/09 05:18 PM
Hampton, Virginia
vagraphix Offline
Glider Addict
vagraphix  Offline
Glider Addict

Hampton, Virginia
Originally Posted By: Junos_Mom
I forgot to address the vet, he does specialize in small animals. My daughter worked for a vet for two years and he referred her to this one for the suggie.

Sorry but there is a big difference between being glider knowledgeable and specializing in small animals.

Debra
Slaves to:
Mikki, Loki & Thor
Bunnies Bob & TMan

Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: ] #807689
07/15/09 05:19 PM
07/15/09 05:19 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
I just adopted my daughter's glider which is partially paralyzed in the rear, the vet says due to jumping from too high, but I feel it is more likely a calcium deficiency. In addition, she mutilated her rear toes and is now in an e-collar. I have been hand feeding, watering, grooming, for the past three days and am learning as I go. I have some questions if anyone can help.

It's rare that they would sustain injuries such as this from jumping. My concern is if she does have a calcium deficiency she needs to be receiving calcium supplements. Is there another vet that you can take her to for a second opinion? She should be started on something ASAP if this is the case.

(1) How much do they eat a day. She is eating really well, I think, but not being sure how much they actually eat, I'm not sure. I picked her up some baby food with calcium and vit D and she loves eggs as well as grapes. She is resistent to eating the glider diet but will eat beechnut nibbles which are for toddlers and are similar to cereal and have both calcium and vit D as well as other nutrients.

I strongly suggest that you choose from one of the suggested diets here. If they are not eating a well balanced nutritional diet in addition to having the correct Ca:Ph ratios, this can lead to serious health issues, such as HLP. Babyfood contains high levels of sugar, starch, and fillers that do not provide the correct nutrients. As a fill in on occasion fine, but not as their everyday meal.

Since gliders are nocturnal, they do not need to be eating during the daytime. Keeping a small dish of something to snack on and fresh water is plenty. They eat their main meal during the night.

(2) How much water do they drink? I am giving her water with a medicine dropper and she is drinking about 1.0 ml a day, generally about .5 ml at a time, after that she shakes it off. I am worried that is not enough, but she will also suck on grapes.

They do not drink large amounts of water. Since you are offering her fruits the liquid content can be sufficient in addition to the water.

(3) How long should she wear the e collar? We will probably change it tonight as she is starting to smell, from the baby food, etc. that has dripped into the collar, but we plan on putting on another one. Her toes are not completely healed, but have scabbed over. I don't know how long is safe for her to wear, as she still fights daily trying to get it off, but I don't want to risk her biting her toes again.

I would keep the e collar on until her toes have completely healed over. Even the smallest scab they will try and go after it. Just make sure that there is plenty of protected padding around the neck area to prevent the plastic from digging into her skin. It's good that your changing it, this will lessen any chances of fur loss.

She is still very mobile, but we removed her out of her large cage and have her in a ten gallon critter cage I have padded with baby blankets and have in my office while she is healing but let her out a few times a day to play on the bed while I watch her, she crawls all over pillows, etc. using only her front legs. I work from home, so I am able to check on her frequently and am keeping her from sleeping on her back as I read that could cause pneumonia.

Any suggestions or tips anyone has will be greatly appreciated as I know nothing about this little girl but when my daughter called for help, I couldn't turn her away.

Thank you in advance.

I'm impressed with how well your handling her right now. I'm so sorry that she is having these problems, and I do pray that she will have a quick recovery.

Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: vagraphix] #807696
07/15/09 05:29 PM
07/15/09 05:29 PM

M
Mio
Unregistered
Mio
Unregistered
M

Sunscription? That [censored] they sell at Petsmart? Gliders should not have to eat much, if any, dry food. Their systems aren't made for it. And grapes should only be fed in tiny amounts, as they, unlike other fruits, are pure glucose rather than fructose. Some of us don't feed them at all because of studies showing death risks in dogs (it doesn't necessarily translate, but for me, better safe than sorry).

Where are you in Florida? Do you know where your daughter got this glider and how long she's had it? Several breeders would rather have the glider returned to them if there is a serious problem, or will be willing to help you out if there is anything they can do (I know that, when I had a few joeys, I made my adoptees sign a contract to return them if there was ever an issue). Of course, if she got it from a mill or backyard breeder, then they won't care. My link below has a full diet page with pretty much all of the accepted diets and their recipes. Take a look.

Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: LSardou] #807699
07/15/09 05:35 PM
07/15/09 05:35 PM

J
Junos_Mom
Unregistered
Junos_Mom
Unregistered
J

Thank you so much. She is actually eating at night, my husband gets home around 12:45 AM from work and is feeding her and I am getting up early and feeding her again. She really can't eat or drink on her own with the collar on and not being able to sit up, so leaving a bowl of food for her does not work at all. The baby food is definitely not her main diet and I only picked it up for the calcium. She is eating a variety of fruits, vegetables, eggs, and I keep trying to get her to eat the sugar glider food, but she spits it out and shakes her head.

I will try to locate another vet that in the area, although the one she went to came very highly recommended, I have also been concerned that he so quickly ruled out calcium deficiency.

Thank you all for your help.

Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: ] #807703
07/15/09 05:44 PM
07/15/09 05:44 PM

J
Junos_Mom
Unregistered
Junos_Mom
Unregistered
J

Thank you for your opinion, but I can tell you we would not return her to a breeder. She is part of the family, that is why we are doing everything we can to help her which has included getting her to a vet immediately and joining this group for advice. Yes the sunscription is from the pet store and I'm guessing from your response is not a good food, thus the reason I am here. To get some good advice, not ridicule. The grapes were actually what the breeder told us to give her daily,so again I am learning and doing whatever it takes to help her.

Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: ] #807705
07/15/09 05:52 PM
07/15/09 05:52 PM

M
monluvspagen
Unregistered
monluvspagen
Unregistered
M

You have come to the right spot, and we are definately here to help get this little back to good health. I would definately look into the recommended diets and maybe another vet? I feed HPW and my kiddos love it!

Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: ] #807708
07/15/09 05:58 PM
07/15/09 05:58 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Kimberly, you are doing an awesome job! I'm so proud of you for wanting to do the right thing for her. Of course, she's a member of your family! She is going thru a rough time right now but I know with you taking care of her, she will be better in no time! We are here to help you any time you need it or just to chat! Many of us have our phone numbers listed if you feel the need to call or in an emergency, if our number is there, we want you to call!

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: suggiemom1980] #807715
07/15/09 06:11 PM
07/15/09 06:11 PM

J
Junos_Mom
Unregistered
Junos_Mom
Unregistered
J

Thank you. I just get frustrated when someone has to "censor" their comments and was very offended at the thought of returning her just because she needs special attention. I feel in my heart that she has a good chance of recovering from this, she is very feisty and even still plays with toys with the e collar on. I just need to learn as much as I can about her condition and so very much appreciate the help I have already received. I work from home and have kept her in my office all day and keep her beside the bed at night. I'm so amazed at how quickly she seems to be bonding with me (and me with her) as she scurries across the bed and climbs into my hand.

Last edited by Junos_Mom; 07/15/09 06:11 PM.
Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: ] #807716
07/15/09 06:15 PM
07/15/09 06:15 PM

M
monluvspagen
Unregistered
monluvspagen
Unregistered
M

Just so you know, if you say any cuss word, the forum automatically censors it lol. It is funny but good. The first part into getting her healthy, is getting her on a good diet with good calcium phophorus ratios and this may help with her back legs.

Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: ] #807739
07/15/09 06:57 PM

B
BBsuggiesBG
Unregistered
BBsuggiesBG
Unregistered
B

Hello there! Welcome to GC! wave Very glad to have you join us!

Juno is lucky to have found you. Everyone here is very helpful and the wealth of knowledge is incredible. Please don't feel as if anyone is "picking on" you that's not what we're here for, altleast I would hope that isn't the case anyways. You will have unlimited resources at your fingertips as this site has many goodies to offer!

Last edited by BBsuggiesBG; 07/15/09 07:09 PM.
Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: ] #807740
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Originally Posted By: monluvspagen
Just so you know, if you say any cuss word, the forum automatically censors it lol. It is funny but good. The first part into getting her healthy, is getting her on a good diet with good calcium phophorus ratios and this may help with her back legs.

You don't even have to say a cuss word! LOL! Try writing the word freak*ing without the * and it censors it! GC is a family oriented board so they don't take chances, for which I'm very glad!

Connie

SmallWorldSuggies

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: suggiemom1980] #807746
07/15/09 06:58 PM
07/15/09 06:58 PM

M
monluvspagen
Unregistered
monluvspagen
Unregistered
M

Oh yea hahaha I have done that too

Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: ] #807747
07/15/09 07:01 PM
07/15/09 07:01 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Thank you. I just get frustrated when someone has to "censor" their comments and was very offended at the thought of returning her just because she needs special attention.

The only reason this was brought up is because many reputable breeders have a contract signed with the buyer that states if for any reason they can't keep the glider, they will return it to the breeder, if the breeder desires to have it returned. I've bought gliders and signed that very contract. We (all GC members) are VERY passionate about ALL gliders, not just our own. We go to great lengths to protect them and now n then, the human equation tends to get a little lost in the shuffle. I assure you, no one meant to offend you in any way by saying that. You have earned the respect of many of us by your determination to keep her and coming here for help. You're a fantastic suggie mom!

Connie

SmallWorldSuggies

Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: suggiemom1980] #807782
07/15/09 08:14 PM
07/15/09 08:14 PM
indiana
F
flutterbye Offline
Glider Guardian
flutterbye  Offline
Glider Guardian
F

indiana
Welcome...

Also by contacting the breeder, not to return your baby, but see if they know of a similar problem in other joeys they have raised and be able to offer so insight to the situation.

You truly have found the best place to come and learn..you are doing a great job.

Shelly

~enhance your life, own a suggie or four~

Slave to
4 very spoiled suggies~Ginger,Spice,Penzey and Pepper
1 very spoiled black German Shepherd~Annie
1 very spoiled black standard poodle ~Ty
1 dove

Rest in Peace my dear Sadie...mommy loves you!
4 parakeets
55 gal fish aquarium
Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: flutterbye] #807932
07/16/09 03:45 AM
07/16/09 03:45 AM
Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Welcome to Glider Central. party

I want to stress the importance of a Good Knowledgeable vet along with a very Good diet. Both sort of go hand in hand. So, when one is lacking it spells sickness and often the demise of the animal.

A Good Healthy diet supplies all the nutrition that is required to have strong bones, healthy teeth, beautifull fur and healthy body. As a whole... when fed properly gliders are Very Healthy. However, gliders can occassionaly contract a bacterial or parasite issue. And at times... this will often display symptoms of HLP. So, with this in mind... a good vet is needed for a sick glider.

Now, I am a small breeder of about fifteen pairs of gliders. And I have been doing so for over thirteen years so you can take my suggestions with a grain of salt if one so wishes. But from my experience...

1)your baby needs to be seen by a more qualified vet with a min of a Direct Fecal Smeal with a Fecal Float. vet should be looking for a Bacterial or Parasitic infection with approperate meds given.

2)better diet that is rich in Calcium and Protein.

There is a diet Forum here on Glider Central with several Approved diets so you may want to research it a bit. diet I feed is Judie's BML which was the BML but is slightly modified as my older gliders would not eat it when the Herptivite Multi Vitamin was added. I have fed this diet along with fresh fruit and veggies for well over eight years or so and never have I had HLP. I also keep a dry food in a small cup for them to munch on as it helps to keep the teeth clean.

Also, I want to add.... glider's self mutilate when they hurt. So, with a chewed foot... my suggestion is to have the vet perscribe an oral pain med... from experience Metacam works well...along with an antibiotic if the foot is inflamed. While E-Collars are necessary to prevent self-mutilation... usually with a pain med it is not necessary for a foot problem. Last thing you need is for the glider to rub a raw area under the collar which will become a nasty issue from being wet and food under it. So, if you continue to use the E-Collar... my suggestion is to remove it daily so the skin can breath and you can monitor the area for signs of impending problems. Clean the area after each feeding well and dry. Make sure there is a nice fold of mole skin between the E-Collar and the glider to prevent it from cutting into the glider's skin. There should not be any odor to the skin under the collar at all.

Suggestions:

1) More Knowledgeable vet to do Direct Fecal Smear and Fecal Smear to look for Bacterial of Parasitic infection. HLP Symptoms may be a secondary issue due Bacterial or Parasite problem. From my experience I would also ask vet about alternative treatment of an antibiotic and oral pain med for the foot to eleminate the stresfull use of the E-Collar on an already sick glider. To properly I.D. HLP... an X-Ray needs to be taken to determine bone density. Glider with HLP will have thinning of the long bones along with holes in them.

2) Change to an Approved diet that is Rich in Calcium and Protein. Go to the diet Forum for information here on Glider Central.

I wish you the best and may your little glider get well soon. heart

PS: HLP is a very painfull disorder. As the spinal bones degenerate they also compress against nerve endings. It is preventable and also treatable with good supportive care, correction to a Healty diet along with oral calcium and a pain med for discomfort to the nerve endings. However, it is very important that HLP be diagnosed properly by a knowledgable Exotic vet.

Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: ] #807963
07/16/09 07:35 AM
07/16/09 07:35 AM

B
Beezer
Unregistered
Beezer
Unregistered
B

Welcome to G.C. - Like all the other members have asked - which part of Florida??? We don't want to slam your vet - we just would like to know - you don't have to give his/her name just location -

And you are such a good person to have taken on the responsibility of a paralyzed glider -

Please keep us informed as to his/her health

Sue
owned by &
mom to

Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: ] #807984
07/16/09 09:07 AM
07/16/09 09:07 AM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
Welcome to GC.

Please feel free to call me about your little one. While it is possible that she suffered an injury from poor diet, it is also possible that there is something else wrong. I am the proud mom of a little one who is fully paralyzed from an injury which severed his spinal cord.

While she heals there is much you can do in the way of cage set up and rehabilitation to speed the process and ensure her safety NOW.

Chewing on her back legs is also something we have experienced a LOT here with my little paralyzed guy (Jackie Chan). I may be able to give you and your vet some insight there and some assistance with treating and preventing that from happening again.

In any case, I would love to talk with you and give you some information to take with you to the vet. Please give me a call
Val 806-274-9177

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #808215
07/16/09 05:32 PM
07/16/09 05:32 PM

J
Junos_Mom
Unregistered
Junos_Mom
Unregistered
J

Thank you all for the invaluable information.

In response to Beezer, I am in Central Florida. If you can recommend another vet that specializes in gliders, that will be greatly appreciated.

In response to Judie, she is on pain medicine once daily and antibiotics twice daily. These were started the day after the mutilation occurred. Juno has regained some mobility over the past couple of days in one of her rear legs and is now curling her tail. She has continued going to the bathroom with no problem and is still very feisty and eats well. My husband was up with her until 3AM this morning supervising her play, to make sure she didn't reinjure herself. The toes are healing and seems to be limited to her nail area. We also have a prescription ointment for her toes that is applied twice daily. My daughter rushed her to the vet as soon as she saw her chewing on her feet and we added the e collar a couple of days later as she did not leave them alone even with the meds.

We are hand feeding her a variety of foods high in protein and calcium as well as water, but she is very picky and will spit out anything she doesn't like.

In response to Jackie Chans Mom, thank you for the information and the hope. I would love to give you a call, if you can provide a best time (are you Central or Mountain Time, I am Eastern), I will do so tomorrow or Saturday.

Once again, I thank you all for the information and links you have provided.

Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: ] #808362
07/16/09 11:30 PM
07/16/09 11:30 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Texas

In response to Jackie Chans Mom, thank you for the information and the hope. I would love to give you a call, if you can provide a best time (are you Central or Mountain Time, I am Eastern), I will do so tomorrow or Saturday.

I work from home and am home except the time that I run errands. You can call any time.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #808527
07/17/09 01:29 PM
07/17/09 01:29 PM
IL (St. Louis area)
StitchsMom Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
StitchsMom  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

IL (St. Louis area)
Unfortunately, I don't have much to add. I just wanted to say thank you for stepping up and giving this glider the care he deserves. hug2 Please keep us posted.

~*~Jenny and the fur kids~*~
>>> Sugar Glider Slave <<<
Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: StitchsMom] #809639
07/20/09 10:25 AM
07/20/09 10:25 AM

J
Junos_Mom
Unregistered
Junos_Mom
Unregistered
J

Thank you.

Juno is doing good. She is starting to use one of her rear legs and will pick up the other, she just doesn't try to grip with it. We are taking the e-collar off for short periods, but she still goes for the feet, so we have to put it back on. I found her this great soft carry bag designed for ferrets. It has two large window and is large enough she can climb all over the inside without hurting herself. You wear it on the front like a baby carrier and one of the windows is on the top so she climbs up and talks to me while she's playing. It is made of polar fleece with a padded bottom. She loves it and will play with her toys inside.

Re: Adopted paralyzed glider [Re: ] #809645
07/20/09 10:37 AM
07/20/09 10:37 AM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Glider Addict

Texas
Please know that you can give me a call anytime. Talk with your vet about giving her some pain medication - just a bit to keep the "pins and needles" pain away from her feet. You should keep her in the collar until her feet are completely healed up.

sounds like you are doing well with her and she is recovering. It is very early for her to be moving her back feet, so that indicates that there was likely a calcium deficiency rather than an spinal injury. I'm praying for and believing she will make a full recovery!

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 371 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,552 TEXAS
679,069 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,142 UTAH
321,666 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024