Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Blended diet #889048
01/03/10 01:44 AM
01/03/10 01:44 AM
NY
WintersSong Offline OP
Glider Slave
WintersSong  Offline OP
Glider Slave

NY
Does anyone know anything about this one?
http://www.gliderkids.com/BLENDED-GLIDER-DIET.html

I love BML and am planning to stick with it, but I saw the blended diet and got curious.

~*Sara*~

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin
Re: Blended diet [Re: WintersSong] #889054
01/03/10 02:25 AM
01/03/10 02:25 AM
Perry, Iowa
josefine Offline
Glider Addict
josefine  Offline
Glider Addict

Perry, Iowa
this one is also a top notch diet. candy has done a lot of studying to try & make our kids healthier. she has a diet calculator on her website that is really good & informative.
talk @ ya L8R

Larry & Josefine Vodenik
2014 4 St
Perry,Iowa50220
515/321-6081cell#
j.vodenik@hotmail.com
Re: Blended diet [Re: josefine] #889071
01/03/10 06:24 AM
01/03/10 06:24 AM

K
kylie
Unregistered
kylie
Unregistered
K

i love it my suggies eat so much better now they stopped eating bml so i was going to switch to hpw then i saw this one it's like the best of both worlds

Re: Blended diet [Re: ] #889081
01/03/10 10:15 AM
01/03/10 10:15 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
When I first got my gliders I fed BML, they didn't really clean up their dinner. I switched to HPW and after a short time they started not cleaning up their dinner.

In September my little Jadzia got terribly ill and the vets are not sure why. I had been having problems getting her to gain weight. After carrying her around and forcing fluids and food on her for two weeks she wanted out of the incubator.

I mixed up my first batch of Candy's Blended diet (CBD) and that night everyone cleaned up their little plates. The only think they will not clean up now is they will not eat all of their papaya on papaya night.

I am very happy with the CBD and like was stated above Candy put a lot of work into this diet to make it Calcium/ Phos 2:1 and I also like that fact that they are not getting so much honey and yet the bee pollen is still in the diet.

My gliders, with the exception of little Gizmo who exercises too much, have all gained weight on this diet.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Blended diet [Re: Feather] #889089
01/03/10 11:45 AM
01/03/10 11:45 AM

B
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
B

This diet is made up of mostly processed foods.. boxed, jarred, etc. and way too much yogurt. While I'm sure it is very cheap and very easy to make as most processed meals are. Processed foods leave not much to be desired in my book and especially for the health and well being of my gliders. Just My Opinion

Re: Blended diet [Re: ] #889097
01/03/10 12:21 PM
01/03/10 12:21 PM
Miami, Fl
reeny Offline
Glider Slave
reeny  Offline
Glider Slave

Miami, Fl
I have recently switched to the blended diet. As I discovered one of my gliders Ca level was slightly low after feeding HPW for several years.

My suggies loved HPW, and most were eating the Blended diet it is a nice combination of both BML and HPW. The Ca:P ratio is very good.

I noticed that all were not eating it as well as the HPW diet especially Luna who needs the extra Ca right now. With the help of Candy I made the HPW diet with a little extra yogurt and extra Ca. They are eating this better.

I was just the other night looking at Kris's (babyloveglider) diet. It looks interested and very healthy. I almost started to order everything just to try it for a little. There are no processed food in her diet.

My theory is that no matter how healthly the diet is, it really doensn't matter if they don't eat it.

I am in the experimental stage of diets again. Trying to do the best for my suggies.

The blended diet does have processed baby food and cereal but the Ca:P levels are good if your gliders like it.

Reeny
&
"The Flower Patch Gang"

Blossom & Buttercup
Bella & Bug
Mona & Poppy
Hannah & Lucas
Petunia & Payton
Petals
Fiona & Fiorello
Lili & Tulip & Krinkles

www.moonovermiamigliders.com

Re: Blended diet [Re: reeny] #889101
01/03/10 12:37 PM
01/03/10 12:37 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
I have recently switched to the blended diet. As I discovered one of my gliders Ca level was slightly low after feeding HPW for several years.

Reeny, I think it is only fair for folks to know that Luna also had a staph infection which could have been the reason for her calcium levels to be lowered.

With that being said, I TOTALLY agree with you on your statement that it doesnt matter how good a diet is, if your gliders wont eat it, it isnt going to do the glider any good.

I think Candy did a wonderful job with all the hard work she put into her diet. I have seen a lot of others that add in much more processed foods than this diet. And I think it is great that so many glider owners are now doing what they feel they need to do for their gliders instead of just listening to the majority.

Reeny, I applaud you for doing what you feel is necessary for your gliders health and well being, just as I applaud everyone else that tries to do the same. Maybe one day we will all have the perfect diet for them and all of them will eat it and we will have no worries.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Blended diet [Re: Srlb] #889102
01/03/10 12:46 PM
01/03/10 12:46 PM
Miami, Fl
reeny Offline
Glider Slave
reeny  Offline
Glider Slave

Miami, Fl
Yes Peggy that is true that Luna also had a pouch infection. But that was the second time she had cannablized her joeys and it is just terrible to discover that. The pouch infection definitely could have been to blame but also I have had different joeys that have been rejected.

So without putting all my gliders through uneccessary blood work I decided to experiment with the diet a little bit. The blended diet is a nice combination between HPW and BML. But not all were eating like HPW. My suggies love their HPW.

Peggy is right no diet is perfect and we do have room for growth in this area.

Reeny
&
"The Flower Patch Gang"

Blossom & Buttercup
Bella & Bug
Mona & Poppy
Hannah & Lucas
Petunia & Payton
Petals
Fiona & Fiorello
Lili & Tulip & Krinkles

www.moonovermiamigliders.com

Re: Blended diet [Re: reeny] #889110
01/03/10 01:11 PM
01/03/10 01:11 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Quote:
I TOTALLY agree with you on your statement that it doesnt matter how good a diet is, if your gliders wont eat it, it isnt going to do the glider any good.

Very good point Reeny and Peggy. If they won't eat it in isn't doing them any good.

When I came back from the SGGA this year I tried to get the girls needing to gain weight to eat the Glidercrack and they would eat it, but not much of it. I still give avacado and on those nights I find that they don't eat as much of their veggies as they normally do.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Blended diet [Re: reeny] #889111
01/03/10 01:13 PM
01/03/10 01:13 PM
Florida
LabNGliderMom Offline
Glider Addict
LabNGliderMom  Offline
Glider Addict

Florida
My gliders are on HPW- I feed it in bi-compartment dishes since my gldiers are picky and won't touch their food if the veggies and fruit touch the HPW mixture smile

I use fruit cubes from Iowa Misty's pages for the fruit and mixed veggies for the veggies that I feed with the HPW.

I have never tried any other diets. I have seen Candy's diet and agree that she did a lot of research and that the numbers look good. My only concern is that I hear gliders on the blended diet gain weight very quickly. Is hat necessarily a BAD thing? Not completely- wild gliders are often "fluffier" than our gldiers here int he states that are in captivity and maybe a little extra weight is actually GOOD for them... but I'd personally rather wait and see the results people get from having their gliders ont his diet for some length of time before I would try it myself.

It is simply too new of a diet in my opinion for me to try it at this time.

Julie
Hubby: George
Kids: Ayla & Michael
Grandsons: Trysten, Dayton, KJ & Nathyn
The Zoo: Midnight, Severe & Nala - Claude, Pixie, Tippy & Chili - Scout & Soluna, Theo & Deegie

http://hammockhavenpetsplus.com

Re: Blended diet [Re: reeny] #889116
01/03/10 01:18 PM
01/03/10 01:18 PM
Champaign Co., Illinois
Berg Offline
Glider Lover
Berg  Offline
Glider Lover

Champaign Co., Illinois
We have had our gliders on the Blended diet (reduced honey variation) since we got them and they love it. Their dish is clean every morning, as is their fruit and vegetable dish. They were on a pellet diet when we got them so maybe that's why they like this so much. Candy's diet calculator is really slick and is a great way to track the nutrient profile of what you feed them, no matter what the base diet.

I should add that our gliders are not gaining weight at an unusual rate. They have been on this diet now about 3 months.

-Steve-

:grey: Sprite, Misty, Ghost, and Bandit

and all those who have crossed over the Rainbow Bridge
gangel Virga, Cirrus, Foehn, Pascal, Flurry, Case, Rossby, Breeze, and CB

The Glider Chronicles blog
Re: Blended diet [Re: LabNGliderMom] #889123
01/03/10 01:56 PM
01/03/10 01:56 PM
NY
WintersSong Offline OP
Glider Slave
WintersSong  Offline OP
Glider Slave

NY
Originally Posted By: LabNGliderMom
but I'd personally rather wait and see the results people get from having their gliders ont his diet for some length of time before I would try it myself.

It is simply too new of a diet in my opinion for me to try it at this time.

I am with you on that. I put my gliders on BML when I first got them for two reasons: 1. everyone recommended it as a good starting point for me, and 2. it seems to have been around (with good results) for a rather long time (if anyone knows of something that states otherwise, please do tell me!)

HPW seems interesting -- another one that's been there for awhile. I just worry that I'd screw up with the fruits and veggies. Kris' diet seems great, but again -- too new for me at the moment. The same with the blended diet.

Last edited by WintersSong; 01/03/10 01:56 PM.

~*Sara*~

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin
Re: Blended diet [Re: Berg] #889128
01/03/10 02:06 PM
01/03/10 02:06 PM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
Many of you know Gizzy's history(Peggy, LSardou). Gizzy has always been a very petite little man, and to make matters worse, he battled with illness in 2009, to the point that the vet and ourselves felt that he would not make it.

Only recently did we manage to get his weight up from 68gr to 78gr. I bragged about this a few days ago, and since he has lost 3grams again.

Gizzy and Boesman is currently on the HPW diet, they love it, we love it!

I came across this post today, and it seems like a good diet for gliders to gain weight, and the bonus will be that it's only a modification to HPW.

Would you agree that this is a good option to explore with little Giz?

Casper & Liezl
:grey:Gizzy, Boesman, Muchu, Kiamon, Sky & Boog:grey:
A glider's eyes have the power to speak a great language

RIP Sugar 2009 & Kaida 2013
Re: Blended diet [Re: WintersSong] #889133
01/03/10 02:17 PM
01/03/10 02:17 PM
Champaign Co., Illinois
Berg Offline
Glider Lover
Berg  Offline
Glider Lover

Champaign Co., Illinois
We did a lot of reading on the diets prior to the arrival of our gliders. The thing we liked about the blended diet is that it seems to combine the best of the BML and HPW, with more flexibility in the fruits and vegetables. We use the diet calculator to monitor the overall Ca/P ratio of the diet. All I can say is that our gliders love it and they are doing well.

As far as it being "new", I don't know what folks consider "new", or how long it has to be around to be "not new". We found it in September prior to the gkids arriving, but there isn't anything on Candy's site I can find to say when it was originally posted.

About the "new" issue, it's sort of like trying to get a job with little experience. How do you get the experience if no one will will hire you without experience? Someone has to take the first step.

-Steve-

:grey: Sprite, Misty, Ghost, and Bandit

and all those who have crossed over the Rainbow Bridge
gangel Virga, Cirrus, Foehn, Pascal, Flurry, Case, Rossby, Breeze, and CB

The Glider Chronicles blog
Re: Blended diet [Re: Berg] #889264
01/03/10 10:51 PM
01/03/10 10:51 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
Berg, I worked for several months on paper to find a combination of ingredients, using foods that were already being used with success in other diets, that would provide a balance of nutrients between the higher values found in BML and the lower values in HPW.

Both are excellent diets and have many years of healthy gliders to prove that they are good diets.

I was initially looking for any research that would give recommended amounts of Calcium, Phosphorus, Protein, Sugar, Fat and Fiber needed by gliders. Well, There does not seem to be any guidelines for the ideal amounts of these nutrients for gliders on a daily basis.

That led to my development of the diet Calculator.

The diet Calculator allowed me to enter the ingredients of the "Recognized" Glider diets and calculate them down to single glider servings.

Using the single serving values I was able to compare the diets to each other for the amount of Calcium, Phosphorus, Protein, Sugar, Fat and Fiber.

I found BML to be high for almost all of those nutrients and HPW to be on the low end for those nutrients. So, I now had a RANGE of values for each of these components. These ranges became MY GUIDELINES. This range was as close to "Recommended Daily Amounts" as I could get.

From there, my goal was to find a combination of foods that would have values between those of BML & HPW. This was the target for the combination I have called the Blended diet. I used foods which were already parts of either BML or HPW. The only "new" item in the Blended diet was the use of a human grade calcium carbonate powder which mixes evenly in the diet.

As for the Blended diet using "processed foods" - It does not introduce any foods that have not been used in the "recognized" diets for many years.

The only thing new about the Blended diet is the amount of each food item used to make the diet.

I have not see much weight gain since my gliders have been on the Blended diet. My gliders have always been good eaters and were previously on the Suncoast diet, Reeps and HPW diets. I have 3 somewhat fluffy gliders - that were fluffy before starting the blended diet. The other 7 gliders are all average size.

I have had a number of people comment that their gliders all eat the blended diet well and also eat the fruits and vegetables offered with it. No one has reported to me that their gliders did not like the Blended diet. My vet and I discussed the diet, the process I used to develop it and she feels like it is a well balanced diet. She has even recommended it to other glider owners.

As with all glider diets, this diet is a personal choice for me. I wanted to share it with others because I feel it brings in the best elements of both BML and HPW. Time will provide the evidence that the Blended diet is good or bad. I firmly believe it meets the needs of my gliders and I hope it meets the needs of other gliders and their glider parents.

Yes the Blended diet is new - I began using it in March 2009 after finishing my diet calculator.

I published the blended diet on SESG in August and shortly after that I posted it on my web page for others to use.

I hope any of you using the Blended diet will share a copy of the printed version (on my web page) with your vet. The comparisons to BML and HPW are on the print out page.

Please continue to share your experiences, comments and opinions and any feedback from your vet if you are using the Blended diet.

Last edited by OtteMom; 01/03/10 10:55 PM.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Blended diet [Re: CandyOtte] #889607
01/05/10 12:56 PM
01/05/10 12:56 PM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
Originally Posted By: OtteMom
I have not see much weight gain since my gliders have been on the Blended diet. My gliders have always been good eaters and were previously on the Suncoast Diet, Reeps and HPW diets. I have 3 somewhat fluffy gliders - that were fluffy before starting the blended diet. The other 7 gliders are all average size.

I was getting all excited over the whole weight gain thing, ....hoping for a healthy way to get some more bum on Giz. I still think it's a good diet from what you did with it, and are concidering changing to it. And I like it because it's an adjustment to the HPW, and the boys love their HPW.

I can't seem to find Gerber Products in South Africa. Can anyone please send me the labels of the following so that I can investigate the possibility of Purity Products with the same ingredients:

Mixed Fruit Juice with Yoghurt (Gerber)
Mixed Cereal (Gerber)
Strained Chicken or Turkey (Gerber)

If I am not mistaken Purity is also a Gerber Product. Is Purity available in your stores? If so, it would be helpful if someone could give me the names of the Purity Products to use in the Blende diet.

Casper & Liezl

Re: Blended diet [Re: Gizmogirl] #889608
01/05/10 12:59 PM
01/05/10 12:59 PM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
I just Google it and seems like Purity is South African. Sorry for that. I know Gerber used to be in South Africa, but I can't find any of their products anymore. Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Casper & Liezl

Re: Blended diet [Re: Gizmogirl] #889757
01/05/10 08:07 PM
01/05/10 08:07 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
You should be able to substitute your available brand of baby foods for the Gerber brand.

I also use Beechnut brand mixed cereal and strained chicken or turkey. I try to catch these items on sale or use a coupon if I have one.

For the strained chicken or turkey look for ones that are just the meat and either broth or gravy.

If your brand does not have a yogurt juice blend you could use plain baby apple juice (or even 4 oz regular unsweetened apple juice) It does not lower any of the nutrients significantly.

The beauty of using the 4 oz bottled juice is that it then becomes a easy to use measure for the honey (also 4 oz) then you fill the bottle again with the 4 oz warm water and shake well to rinse out the rest of the honey. NO STICKY MEASURING CUP to wash!

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Blended diet [Re: CandyOtte] #889960
01/06/10 12:25 PM
01/06/10 12:25 PM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
Thank you Ottomom, I will see what I can come up with. I found Olli, it's organic baby food. I have send them an email to see if they have similar products because I am 3 hours out of the city.

Casper & Liezl

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024