Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Elder Sugar Glider Care? #923791
03/27/10 07:55 PM
03/27/10 07:55 PM

S
SuggieLuvn
Unregistered
SuggieLuvn
Unregistered
S

Ok, To start off..
I got an email, From an on-viewer whom was looking at my website. They asked If I could take a sugar glider that needed a home. Of course I said yes!

These people met me, gave me a scared sugar glider that was in a cardboard cerial box. This poor girl seemed very upset. The guy said "shes yours now!, Careful with her shes vicious"

But I got her home, I noticed she was very different from my sugar gliders. To start she was emaciated, I could feel every bone. I e-mailed them to ask a few questions, Like diet.. age... name... Just the importance they we're so in a rush they couldn't tell me when we met.

They said her background is: She lived with their daughter for TWELVE years. Their daughter moved off and left her behind, They didnt know how to care for her. (Even though she lived in their home for 12 years!)

I asked her diet, They couldn't tell me anything as their daughter normally fed her. Oh! and she didnt have a name, I named her Grandma.

So, I got her to the doctor, She got a MUCH needed nail clipping and stool test.

She is not mean, Very nice. But I have never had such an elder glider, What all should I do for this girl? Anything that can make her feel more comforable? I have had her for about 3-4 months and she is very healthy now. But, Is there anything special I can be doing for this elder girl?

They didnt give me a cage with her, I would assume she didnt have a very nice one. In my home she has "neighbores". They also said she had never met another sugar glider, Is it possible to introduce her to another glider? Is it possible to get her a cage mate around her age?

Re: Elder Sugar Glider Care? [Re: ] #923795
03/27/10 08:20 PM
03/27/10 08:20 PM

R
richardm
Unregistered
richardm
Unregistered
R

that sounds so sad shes lucky you came along good luck with her, your great for taking her,her life will only be better now .i dont get why people get these guys if they dont have at least 2 its just wrong. all the best .

Re: Elder Sugar Glider Care? [Re: ] #923800
03/27/10 08:53 PM
03/27/10 08:53 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Bless your heart for taking her under the conditions as they were. I would say that as long as she was given a clean bill of health, teeth look good, mobility is good, activity levels good, eye sight good, there should be no reason to treat her differently than the others.

If she is 'slow' and has poor reflexes, I suggest that you set her cage up to where she doesn't have to climb around for things. Keep items low to protect her from falling.

As far as introducing her, that would be something that you will need to use your own judgment on. I would say for the time being, you could place her cage next to the others (about 4-6 inches apart) to see how they respond first. If all appears to look and sound alright, you can start by switching pouches, toys, etc..to get the scents passed around.

When it comes down to where you feel ready to try face to face, be sure that they are in a 'neutral' area and be on guard for any signs of discord. I would take this step very slowly, and with extreme caution.

I hope all goes well, good luck, and please keep us posted.

Re: Elder Sugar Glider Care? [Re: LSardou] #923813
03/27/10 09:18 PM
03/27/10 09:18 PM
Quincy, IL
glidrz5 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidrz5  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL
Older gliders can integrate very well with new friends. You don't necessarially need to introduce gliders of the same age. You could introduce her to a younger glider or even a pair of younger gliders. My Nicky is 12+ years and was successfully introduced into a colony of 4 about a year ago. He is very happy with them and they look out for the "old man".

Health wise, He is shakier now than he was when he was younger and more tentative when stepping down (he used to be my daredevil) and tends to be lazier now....more of a pouch potato. But he still enjoys coming out and seeing me and munching his food. He is also losing his perepherial vision (which contributes to his tentativeness when getting off of things) I just go a bit slower when putting him back into his cage and try not to move things around too much so he is comfortable and knows where things are even if he can't see them as well. In the future as his vision worsens I will add more hammocks to the cage in case he would lose his grip.

Chris
Illusion, Malcom, Isabell, Annabelle, Zach, Isis, Aly & Indy
AND Miss Emmy & Miss Chloe kitties

:rbridge: My Angels: You are always in my heart.

You've flown to the rainbow
and wait there for me
Someday I will join you
together to be

Re: Elder Sugar Glider Care? [Re: glidrz5] #923932
03/28/10 10:16 AM
03/28/10 10:16 AM

S
SuggieLuvn
Unregistered
SuggieLuvn
Unregistered
S

Yes, She did loose her grip last night and fell. I felt horrible and this is the first time shes done this.
She is shakey, I believe she has impared vision as well. She was a little shooken up with the fall, But I would be too! Heck, I was! But I took all her extras out because it seemed her nails kept getting stuck even after her nail trim at the vets office. She wont run on a wheel, Doc says she most likey has arthritis. Should I put more hammoks in? I did already make a "make shift" shelf in her cage so I could put her pouch closer to the ground. Its high enough for her, But not really high.

She loves feeding time, She races to the bottom of the cage before I even get her bowl out. By the time I bring it back she's just sitting there waiting! This is her favorit time of day, Feeding time! Hopefully I can make her favorit time of day, Play time with a new friend. Eventually...

Her neighbore Zombie seems to have really taken a big interest in her, But the two girls are bossy and rude through the cage. Thats great news that she can have a younger glider! I am going to try to introduce her, I may now keep one of my joeys to befriend her. Female of course!

I also put her pouch close to the side of the cage for easier climbing. Then a board between them so that she can rest peacefully without see'ing her neighbores.

Thats great news to hear that elder gliders can be-friend others! I think every suggie needs a friend.

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 155 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,547 TEXAS
679,062 OHIO
487,124 OKLAHOMA
432,131 UTAH
321,659 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024