GliderCENTRAL

New Sugar Glider Parents

Posted By: Procrastib8or

New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/08/17 02:21 AM

My long-term girlfriend and I just picked up our female sugar glider a few hours ago. She will mainly belong to my significant other so she will be doing the majority of the bonding. So far so good, but just thought I'd share some of my experience so far to get a gauge on if we're doing things right based on the community census.

We purchased the joey from a local, reputable breeder that is associated with a veterinarian. She seems to be very healthy and full of life. We have both done tons of research (books, legitimate websites and videos, previous/current owners) and are continually doing so, but actually having the creature is somewhat terrifying (I imagine it's similar to parents reading baby books the actually having the monster)

First of all, the breeder has some interesting methods that differ from most of what I've read. The lady seems genuinely knowledgeable, has a great reputation, and seems very passionate about what she does. However, in most of my research I've found that it's best to leave the glider pretty much alone in the cage to acclimate to its new environment for a few days. The breeder, on the other hand, insists we don't even set up the cage yet, and instead keep the joey in her pouch for two days and feed her by hand. She claims this will help jumpstart the bonding process.

My issue is that when we have attempted to feed her, she is very reluctant to do so. The one time we have tried she was crabbing like a demon and only took one swallow of the formula. We figured she was getting too stressed so we stopped, planning to try again in an hour or so. I have read that light eating the first few days is normal, but I can't help but to be concerned about this seemingly radical method.

Our sweet little joey has also been crabbing randomly while in the pouch (which has been on my girlfriends neck constantly) Sometimes it seems like it may be due to a sound or movement she doesn't like, but other times completely random. Again, I've read that excessive crabbing is normal initially, but I am what you call a "worrier"

Any input would be greatly appreciated, even if it's simply "stop worrying" or "you're totally screwing up." Otherwise, I look forward to helping my girlfriend with this experience and am glad I have found a competent community to voice my questions and concerns. Thank you for your time.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/08/17 03:01 AM

If this is what your breeder recommends and you have the time, it's probably a good idea to try. However, nightie is playtime and the Joey will be restless and want to potty and stretch their legs. If you keep her in the pouch all day, place an apple slice or a grape for rehydration. The Joey will not rest well in the pouch all day.

And Welcome to Glider Central! smile

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/08/17 03:10 AM

Thank you for your input, and the welcome. She seems to be resting quite well at the moment, but have not gotten her to go to the bathroom yet. Her second feeding went much better, but still had no interest in relieving herself. Also, the formula we're giving her is part water and we were told this would be sufficient for hydration. Do you suggest we give her some time to walk around in a controlled environment (bathtub lined with fleece) during feedings to "stretch her legs" at night?

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/08/17 03:17 AM

You may have to stimulate her cloatia (where they potty poo from if she is very young.

Keep in mind she has been taken from all she knows and put in a totally different environment with new smells and sounds. Nothing is the same and she is all alone. No buddy of her own kind to comfort her . If you haven't set up a cage, a tub lined with fleece will do. Close toilet lid, turn down the lights it will help.

She should not be left alone in this room.

If your GF is wearing her for an extended amount of time, and she is at least 8wks oop, a snack in the pouch will prevent dehydration.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/08/17 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Procrastib8or
Thank you for your input, and the welcome. She seems to be resting quite well at the moment, but have not gotten her to go to the bathroom yet. Her second feeding went much better, but still had no interest in relieving herself. Also, the formula we're giving her is part water and we were told this would be sufficient for hydration. Do you suggest we give her some time to walk around in a controlled environment (bathtub lined with fleece) during feedings to "stretch her legs" at night?

I don't recommend leaving this poor little one in a pouch for two days at all. For one reason, gliders are very clean animals and don't like to pee/poo where they sleep shakehead If this does happen it is either an accident or they could be ill. I'm not surprised at all she is reluctant to go to the bathroom while in her pouch.

You mention formula you are feeding? How old is your little one? She should be out (in her cage) eating solid foods (fruits/veggies) plus a staple. What did the breeder feed?

There is no reason you cannot set her up in her cage and give her some time to get used to her new home, just as you intended. That is how 99% of glider owners do it agree

BTW, I would be interested to know who the breeder is.
If she has a website, our rules allow you to post it.
Not to bash her. Just interested to know who she is.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/08/17 03:26 AM

First of all, thanks for your input. To clarify, we are not making her go to the bathroom in her pouch (that would be awful) We are taking her out of the pouch to feed her and for her to go to the bathroom. We were told to attempt to feed her every 3 hours or so (a mixture of organic baby food, room tempersture water, and a glider supplement) and we actually just had her first successful "movement" and could tell she needed to go because she started to move around in the pouch.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/08/17 03:38 AM

First of all, thanks for your input. To clarify, we are not making her go to the bathroom in her pouch (that would be awful) We are taking her out of the pouch to feed her and for her to go to the bathroom. We were told to attempt to feed her every 3 hours or so (a mixture of organic baby food, room tempersture water, and a glider supplement) and we actually just had her first successful "movement" and could tell she needed to go because she started to move around in the pouch.

A glider old enough to be away from the parents, especially the mother, should not need to be fed by a human every three hours a mixture of what you posted.

Joeys should not be sent home to new owners before they are between 8-12 weeks out of pouch although some are sent at six weeks. Even at six weeks they should be eating completely on their own, solid foods with no intervention from us IF they are healthy and truly old enough to be taken from their parents.

Even joeys eating solid food still with their parents will not eat as often as you are trying to feed yours.

Hope all this makes sense.

You may find that the watered down baby food will give her a loose stool.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/08/17 10:57 AM

So how did it go last night?

Please keep us posted. We are here to help you and your glider.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/08/17 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Ladymagyver
So how did it go last night?

Please keep us posted. We are here to help you and your glider.

Yes, we are, and I do hope you didn't think we were too harsh last night, especially me. Just wanting to help the best we can with all we have learned from our own experiences over the years.

Trust me, I have made my share over the decades, and so much has been learned about these little ones.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/08/17 05:50 PM

Again, to clarify (I'm not very concise), we are not doing it because she needs to be fed by hand. She's three months old and is capable of eating on her own. It is just a way of jumpstarting the bonding process. We do not plan to keep her on this diet indefinitely. Also, we aren't forcing her to eat every three hours. We just place the pouch in a secure environment, talk to and pet her through the pouch, and if she comes out, she's hungry. Sometimes she eats a little, sometimes a lot.

She seems to be quickly warming up to us (especially my gf) She seems very comfortable and didn't really crab most of the night. She was even willingly handled (freely went to the other side of the tub and went in her hand) so I think that's a great step forward. I know this method seems radical, but I assure you we are adults and are only concerned with the health and well-being of the animal.

Some argue sugar gliders shouldn't be pets at all, and there are dozens of theories about how to best raise them in captivity. I don't think there is a solid, formulaic method simply because we are dealing with a non-domesticated animal.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/08/17 05:57 PM

This is my post (obviously, but still getting used to the forum) I just want to add to this and further update on our situation.

Like I said, last night went pretty well and she seems very comfortable. We do plan on doing one more night of the pouch (mainly because the first night went so well) However, since it really only my gf up half the night with her, I think they are already starting to bond. My gf is at work so I attempted a solo feeding, and she won't come out. But she also isn't crabbing, which is good. I'm going to leave a bit of fruit in the pouch so she will hopefully hydrate herself in the mean time. I will update again tonight after my gf has attempted more feedings.

The most exciting bit is that she felt comforable enough to be handled by choice. I'm not an expert, but that seems to be a strong first step toward bonding, and especially on the first night.
Posted By: Feather

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/08/17 06:02 PM

Good to hear that the little one is old enough to be away from mom and dad.

I know some people in Asia will feed their gliders that way, something nummy, who knows it may make them easier to medicate if they associate the syringe with good stuff.

I know mine hate it, but once they taste the bubble gum flavor antibiotics they will hold the syringe and lick it clean. Go Figure! shakehead

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/08/17 09:46 PM

Quick update / possible concern:
She wouldn't come out and eat for me earlier when I tried. Unfortunately, since my gf has gotten home, she still won't come out even for her. Our theory is that she's tired out from all the excitement from yesterday, but we're getting concerned that she isn't staying hydrated. If she still doesn't want to come out later, should we physically remove her from the pouch? We wouldn't want to force feed her, but we're concerned.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/08/17 10:51 PM

Have you placed her pouch in the cage yet?

If not, I would go ahead and hang the pouch in the cage and give her some time to adjust to her new home. It will also give her time to come out on her own to eat, pee and poo.

What feeding plan/diet are you going to feed? Not the baby food mixture you are feeding now, but a staple with fruits/veggies. She needs a grown up diet.

As for taking her out to check her, yes, I would to make sure she is okay and does not have diarrhea from the baby food mixture. I would doubt she is dehydrated if she has eaten much at all of the mixture.

If you can, post a picture of her for us.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/09/17 02:11 AM

We have not put her in the cage yet, but likely will tonight.

I have heard of a couple of diets that seem legitimate. The Australian Wombaroo Diet seems great and I've heard/read good things. You think we should get her started on something like that immediately?

My gf did not take her out but found some feces when feeling around. Luckily, it was solid. I assume maybe this is why she hasn't want to come out, because that was making her upset? And I hope you're right, as dehydration is my number one concern.

I will attempt to get a picture soon, though I find it difficult because we always have low lighting for her and pictures/videos just don't come out. Maybe we're overdoing the dim lighting? And just to note, I am aware that they should be able to see out a window to tell if it's night or day; we don't totallly block out the sunlight when she's out, just make it scarce.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/09/17 03:01 AM

We have not put her in the cage yet, but likely will tonight.

I really think it would be a very good idea to go ahead and place her in the cage with her pouch.

I have heard of a couple of diets that seem legitimate. The Australian Wombaroo Diet seems great and I've heard/read good things. You think we should get her started on something like that immediately?

There are several good diets out there. Anywhere you see the word diet highlighted, click on it and it will take you to our database. There you will find links to the different diets. The Australian Wombaroo Diet is one, however, it is not the only good one.

My gf did not take her out but found some feces when feeling around. Luckily, it was solid. I assume maybe this is why she hasn't want to come out, because that was making her upset? And I hope you're right, as dehydration is my number one concern.

I will attempt to get a picture soon, though I find it difficult because we always have low lighting for her and pictures/videos just don't come out. Maybe we're overdoing the dim lighting? And just to note, I am aware that they should be able to see out a window to tell if it's night or day; we don't totallly block out the sunlight when she's out, just make it scarce.

Don't worry about adjusting the lighting in your home to suit the glider. They will adapt and need our lighting to help keep them to their normal routine. Even the lights we keep on in our homes help them stay on their nocturnal schedule. Looking out a window doesn't really do anything for them as they have an internal clock.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/09/17 03:06 AM

Update:

Finally fed the gal. We were about to give up and put her in the cage, but decided to try the feeding one more time. She was still uninterested in coming out, so my gf rolled down the ends of the pouch until she was gently nudged out. After that, everything was super. She relieved herself, ate like an angel, and all the while only crabbed once and only for a second. The bonding seems to be going very well for them; using the scented fleece blanket trick is also likely helping.

Still no picture. But her name is Daisy

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/09/17 03:14 AM

Really like her name. Daisy.
Posted By: PeneAva2016

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/09/17 05:34 AM

Welcome! I would most definitely get Daisy a friend! I had originally only wanted one but doing more research and talking to the breeder I decided to get two. I am so glad I did! They are so much fun to watch and play with! There are also those days where my schedule is so hectic I can't give them the attention they typically get, they entertain each other and keep each other company. But welcome to you and your girlfriend!

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/09/17 05:36 AM

One more update for the night (it's comforting to document all of this)

Daisy had a little excitement tonight. During the feeding I mentioned she was pretty chill. However, about ten minutes after being back in the pouch she started jostling about. We figured it was potty time and we were right, but there was so much more.

She was extremely hyper, way more than she ever got last night. And unlike last night she was totally fine with my gf being in the tub with her, but it was because of her evil plan. Daisy shocked us when she hopped onto Alyssa's (hate typing gf) arm and proceeded to crawl all around her until she noticed her vantage point.

She proceeded to leap from her shoulder to the bathroom floor. Luckily I'm a precautions person and the space underneath the door was blocked off already. We let her explore a bit but gathered her back into the tub when she was trying to be a little too ballsy with her climbing. After watching her hop around for a bit we scooped her back into the pouch when she calmed down so we could hopefully get some sleep.

About ten minutes after that she started to go berserk in the pouch. Alyssa then made the executive decision to set up the cage. So it was done and we quickly realized the small-cage-to-start theory sucks because she's all over that thing and clearly needs more space. We will be getting a larger cage asap.

We also need to get some toys. Any ideas for simple homemade toys or joey-appropriate bird/other store-bought toys would be appreciated so we can get those tomorrow.

Alyssa got a couple decent pics during the bathroom fiasco that she needs to send and I'll post tomorrow.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/09/17 05:43 AM

Originally Posted By: PeneAva2016
Welcome! I would most definitely get Daisy a friend!

Thanks for the welcome. We plan on doing just that actually (I would love to have one bonded with me) but it may be up to a year before we are able to (mainly for financial purposes) I have not done much research regarding introducing gliders to one another, but do you think it would be difficult/harmful if Daisy were over a year old and to bring in another, likely three months old?

Also, in the mean time, my girlfriend does plan on spending several hours a day bonding with her and several hours a njght playing. I know it doesn't fully replace another glider, but she is going to put in the time before we can manage. Eventually, we would love to have a colony of them, we're in love.

Thanks again for the welcome and your input.
Posted By: PeneAva2016

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/09/17 05:47 AM

Plastic Easter eggs with some treats in it, some plastic baby teething ring things... I purchased some plastic bird toy thing like a little basketball hoop to hide a treat in, mine really love that.
I'm no expert, I've only had my girls for almost a year, my breeder strongly suggested I get a second one within a few months of getting the first, luckily mine are close in age so the breeder was the one to introduce them. I'm sure other more experienced glider owners can give their input about your situation.
Posted By: Hutch

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/09/17 06:49 AM

Daisy had a little excitement tonight. During the feeding I mentioned she was pretty chill. However, about ten minutes after being back in the pouch she started jostling about. We figured it was potty time and we were right, but there was so much more.

She was extremely hyper, way more than she ever got last night. And unlike last night she was totally fine with my gf being in the tub with her, but it was because of her evil plan. Daisy shocked us when she hopped onto Alyssa's (hate typing gf) arm and proceeded to crawl all around her until she noticed her vantage point.

She proceeded to leap from her shoulder to the bathroom floor. Luckily I'm a precautions person and the space underneath the door was blocked off already. We let her explore a bit but gathered her back into the tub when she was trying to be a little too ballsy with her climbing. After watching her hop around for a bit we scooped her back into the pouch when she calmed down so we could hopefully get some sleep.

About ten minutes after that she started to go berserk in the pouch. Alyssa then made the executive decision to set up the cage. So it was done and we quickly realized the small-cage-to-start theory sucks because she's all over that thing and clearly needs more space. We will be getting a larger cage asap.

From the sounds of it, Daisy was acting like a glider. She was most likely so chill the first night due to stress, but once night hit she wanted to wake up & explore everything she could. That's all very normal & expected.

I'm glad to read Daisy is now in her cage, but yes, the whole 'small first cage' thing is a bit misguided. There are many good cages that you will be able to read about in the 'Housing & Accessories' sub-forum. Bigger is better as your glider will use all the space you can give her.

In the same forum you'll find a lot of toy descriptions. Also, youtube has many videos on making glider-friendly toys. In general, things they are able to climb, export, or carry.

Welcome to the GC.
Posted By: TwoDog

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/09/17 10:34 AM

Hey there!
Welcome to the madness.

Definitely get her a mate. These animals are social and will not be happy alone. I know I will take some flak, saying that, because there are a lot of owners here who have single gliders who are VERY happy.
But that is because their human parent's love them soooo much, they they are filling in for much of that gap. :-)
For maximum happiness you need multiples. They don't have to be mates--they could be any sex and any relation to each other.

(Ears adroop, giant, sad, depthless eyes gazing plaintively into yours. A tiny pink paw reaches tentatively up toward your face) "Daddy Tree...pleeze, just one morez...like me'z...to snuggle in the pouch with us'z for nappy time..." )

And they are like potato chips. You CAN'T just have one! :-)

The fun progression is exponential. Two gliders is FOUR times as fun as TWO. But only a little more work.

Blue Lagoon would have been a lot different for Brooke Shields if she was just stranded on a desert island as a little girl all alone.
She would have gone all Lord of the Flies, and by the time they rescued her, she would have been just crabbing and biting at everyone. Would probably have damaged her career. Or at least her roots.

Conversely, add Brooke Shields to Tom Hanks' "Castaway" and everyone is having a good time.

So, in summary, IMHO, get more gliders.

Remember...anything worth doing is worth OVER-doing.

And don't worry about bonding with multiples--or even singles. These creatures have big hearts and are very emotionally sensitive. They have lots of love to go around.

OH...and males...
Neuter YES.
LASER NEUTER: YES. (Having done it both ways now, I will always promote laser if possible.)

One thing that may surprise you. These animals have not been in the pet trade very long. No genetic memory of domestication. They have no natural trust of man.
A puppy or a kitten naturally trusts humans. Not so with these guys. The result is that you will be working on your 'relationship' with your gliders all your life, just as you would with a spouse. It's a journey.

Cages. So much fun!
Cages are art and function...and are a great past time when mixed with your favorite inebriate and power tools.

When buying a cage, don't skimp.

Dishes, food, toys, medicine...secondary.
The cage is the one thing you and your babies will have to deal with every single day, every time you interact. Get something you LOVE. And get the biggest thing you can manage.

After much agonizing, my solution was the Northwest Homes for Pets, Critter Nation model 162.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think this is now sold under the PetSmart brand "All Living Things."

It takes a dozen or so screws to assemble the stand with the Ikea-like tool kit. But once the stand is assembled, the entire cage just gravity-stacks together.
Which means if you REALLY need to get it outside to clean it, it's easy to break down. If you have to move, you can break it down and box it up.

It's sold in half-sections, if you like. So if you need MORE space, you can just stack higher. (Or if go sideways if you want to get jiggy with tubes and vents and such)

The front is ALL doors and if you leave the center level out of the assembly, you get a simple, huge open cage that resembles a walk-in closet. Easy to access any part of the cage because, again, the front is ALL doors. This also allows you to put pretty much any sized toy or decor into your cage.

Rust resistance and abuse resistance has proved out terrific. I have rolled it outside many times and just hosed it off. Not a spot of rust. Much happies.

Latches are glider proof.

Bar spacing and orientation: 1/2" *horizontal* bars--so much nicer (as opposed to vertical bars) on your furbaby's hands when climbing...and they do climb.

I'm on my second one of these cages. If you decide to get one, the only thing I would be wary of, is make sure the fit and finish in in the door panel is good. This part is vulnerable to shipping damage.

My brain dump on that. Hope it helps.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/09/17 10:40 PM

Update:

Thanks for all the new info and welcomes. The girls have been bonding all day and I went out to get some starter stuff. Got a tent for tent time (to avoid another bathroom mishap), a fleece hammock for the cage (*she hasn't been sleeping in her pouch when in the cage, hoping this isn't an issue), a feathery cat toy for tent time, a plastic bird toy to climb, practice golf balls and straws (got the idea from the forum), and a few treats to try (fruit Yoggies, organic dried fruit (banana, mango, pineapple), and unsalted, organic sunflower seeds) Plan to get a whole lot more very soon.

Still need a larger cage (will buy sometime next week), and to figure out a diet for her, which we plan to finalize tonight so we can start her on it asap. Right now we're leaning towards the Wombaroo diet. Still doing research on introducing a friend and the time constraints on that (not because we don't love her, but because of $) but I'll reiterate that my gf plans to spend many hours a day bonding and several hours a night playing to help fill the gap in the mean time.
Posted By: Terry

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/09/17 10:59 PM

Everything sounds great! Just be careful that the cat toy doesn't contain catnip, it's not safe for sugies, so I've heard/read. Maybe avoid using that until you are certain it doesn't.

Since you have straws, you may want to get a hand-held sharpener, the old fashioned kind. You can get the kind that don't have a containment compartment or with one that is removable. Then twist straws through in a way that creates a spiral. You can then take a zip tie and bundle them together, it will make a great, sugie-safe chaser toy!

I've used a fly swatter from Dollar store (a trove of sugie toy-making supplies can be found there, once you learn what to look for). I cut it down and zip tied spiraled straws and fleece strips to make a chaser toy. I'll try to get a pic up in a few minutes.

Here it is, the pic is of the back so you can see how it's attached. I may add more spiraled straws, mine has more fleece strips. I think the straws are more effective for toys, or better liked.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/09/17 11:12 PM

Thanks so much for your input. I double checked for catnip and even checked with the cashier to make sure, so no worries there. The only bad part about it is that there's a small jingle bell on the very end of the stick where the feathery bit is attached, and I've read that they can get their fingers and toes stuck in the holes. I will attempt to remove it if it seems like an issue, but I don't think she will come in contact with it.

Those are some great suggestions, and I'll add them to the growing list of things we want to try.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/09/17 11:36 PM

If used for supervised play it should be okay, just keep an eye on it.

You're welcome, we're a community here working together for the betterment of pet sugar gliders. One day you will be doing the same, sharing knowledge you've gained to those seeking help.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/10/17 02:54 AM

Quick update:

Just had her first very successful tent time in the temporary tent. Lots of crab-less handling and jumping to and from momma. And best of all, I finally have pictures. She's so fast it's difficult so I'll just call them action shots. The first one is from the bathroom adventure, the other is from tent time.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/10/17 03:12 AM

Awww. How cute! Pictures are really tough to get sometimes as they don't sit still long.

Tent time is a great time to spend with them.

If you can find feathers(no colored, natural) or a plastic bug, you can actually interact and play with them. Mine like peacock feathers. Be prepared for it to be shredded. Since they are hunters, they like to chase things. They remind me of cats when on the prowl. They arch their back, and that long tail flicks.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/10/17 03:17 AM

Oh she's cute!
Posted By: Stef333

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/10/17 01:12 PM

Welcome! To add to the already great advice that you've gotten from so many others, my pair of gliders really enjoys eucalyptus. Shortly after I got them I purchased a few good sized branches of fresh eucalyptus from these guys (http://eucproducts.com/), and received an enormous bundle of fragrant leafy greens as part of the deal.

Gliders LOVE fresh eucalyptus and they went nuts with those leaves. It only took a couple of weeks for everything to dry out, which is when I stripped off the leaves to save for later as treats, and used the bare branches as cage decor/toys. They love climbing and chewing on the branches, and it's natural scent seems to resist absorbing the smell of urine like some other woods.

It sounds like you and Alyssa are doing a great job, and I look forward to hearing more about Daisy! smile

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/10/17 11:15 PM

What a cutie!

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/11/17 03:28 AM

Thanks for the compliments and new info everyone, I appreciate all of it.

Things are still going great, getting ready to start the Wombaroo diet and have a cage picked out. A quick question though if anyone is still paying attention: Daisy doesn't seem to want to sleep in her pouch while in the cage. She comes out of it just fine and climbs all over it, but when she wants to sleep she just crawls underneath some paper towel or newspaper and curls up. She still seems super healthy and full of energy otherwise, and doesn't show any signs of depression based on what I've read. Is this something we should be concerned about? I can't seem to find a solid answer for this particular situation anywhere, which has me even more worried.

Any input would be appreciated.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/11/17 06:05 AM

Nope normal. Not all joys do this, but my first one did. I just laid her pouch on floor till she smelled it up then hung it while she was asleep in it after a few days.

BTW, If you have a heat lamp or heat rock in there she doesn't need it. Also no fans directly on cage. There aren't any drafts high in her cage? Like a vent aimed at her? If not, she will come around.

She may think if she is in the pouch, she will be worn like a bonding pouch. But just time will tell.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/11/17 02:09 PM

Agree with Dawn/Ladymagyver. Daisy is used to associating her pouch with something not in her cage so it may take her just a bit to readjust. That is why we kept saying to go ahead and put her in her cage right away when you got her home wink

If you have a second pouch, I would suggest putting that in her cage along with the first one to give her a choice. Hang them a different levels. Let her make the choice.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/11/17 05:58 PM

Thanks, that helps ease my worries. No a/c or fan blowing directly on her. The room gets up to around 80 during the day and around 75 at night with a/c. No heat rocks or heat lamps.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/13/17 03:57 AM

I wasn't sure where to post this question, so I'll tack it on here (hope that's ok)

Daisy is still doing great, we're gradually taking her off the baby food diet and are introducing all sorts of fruits and veggies. Tent time has been going very well with 1.5-2 hours per night. However, here comes my question/inquiry:

The first two nights, Daisy had so much energy, constantly wanting to jump around and crawl all over the mesh that covers most of the top. However, the last couple nights and tonight, she wasn't quite so energetic. She's been seeming more tame and affectionate towards my gf each night, but now when she jumps to the screen, she just sort of crawls to a spot and chilis out, looking at her surroundings through the mesh until my gf scoops her up.

She also loves the hanging bird toy with a rope of barrel monkeys hanging below. She still wants to get out of the pouch and participate (we still haven't really gotten her to "play" with any of the toys. She pretty much ignores the straws and small wiffle balls, and aside from climbing on them, the monkeys don't interest her. We are in the process of ordering more toys. My only guess is that she's getting bored of the tent already, so we're going to try to deck it out with more hanging things and fleece ropes.

So, I guess the question finally is: are we right thinking she's bored? This particular behavior isn't on any of the lists I can find, but is this a sign of depression? We wouldn't call her lethargic, it just seems like she shouldn't be calming down during play time anytime soon. Any help is always appreciated.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/13/17 07:09 AM

She's probably not bored yet. How (hyper)active they are will vary from night to night, as will their interest in what's around them. What they take interact with may also vary per environment (mine like different toys for tent- or bathroom-time than in their cage). There is a lot of new for her & she's trying to take it all in to find her new normal. Give her time & take things slow.

Toys can be a funny thing. Sometime they will ignore or avoid something that is just like their favorite toy, other times they prefer the box it came in. Honestly, the best way to judge toy usage is over time.

Also consider what time of day you're bringing her out for play time. If before her normal wake-up or as she's wanting to go to sleep, Daisy will be less active than if it's during her normal play times. If I do mine in the early evening, they mostly crawl around with a few jumps, then find a corner & try to finish sleeping (hehehe). If I'm sitting up, they may very well go to sleep on my back (right where I can't reach them too -.- ).
Posted By: kidqwik

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/13/17 07:11 PM

Since you said wiffle ball. :-) My girls LOVE the wiffle ball with pieces of fleece strips that I cut and stuck in all the holes/slits of the wiffle ball. I put two strips in each and every morning I have a big mess of fleece strips to take out of the cage and stick back into the wiffle ball holes for the next night's party time for them. My little sillies. smile

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/14/17 06:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Hutch
Also consider what time of day you're bringing her out for play time. If before her normal wake-up or as she's wanting to go to sleep, Daisy will be less active than if it's during her normal play times.

Thank you for your post, very helpful and reassuring. But, to respond to this particular bit, Alyssa has been starting tent time between 9:30-10:00 each night since night two. This is around the time Daisy seems to like to wake up. But, then I'll go in the room at 2:30 AM (like I just did) and she's climbing around and barking up a storm. This makes me feel bad that she doesn't have a buddy yet, but she will soon enough.

Just a quick update otherwise: Tent time was even lazier tonight, but another breakthrough in bonding occurred. For the first time she sat in Alyssa's hand and at a dried fruit treat while being stroked, then stuck around and cleaned herself and chilled for way longer than any time before. She also went in the barrel of monkeys so..

And..

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/14/17 07:16 AM

That is awesome! And she is very cute!

Ours will bark around that time. Daisy is ready to play and looking for her playmate.

Fiona takes forever to wake up, but when she is fully awake, we call her turbo. She gets bright eyed and bushy tailed, scampers everywhere all at once!

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/14/17 01:59 PM

New concern came up as I was doing research. It's something that I'd never read so I considered it normal because she's still a baby. However, I came across in an article that it's bad to bring home a joey that walks unsteadily. Sometimes she acts like she has a slightly hard time balancing herself. When she crawls/climbs she has no issue, it's just her walking. Alyssa says it's getting a little better every day, but she's still doing it. I read this can be a sign of dehydration, but I highly doubt that as she is eating/drinking/urinating plenty. Could she be younger than we were told? Could there be another underlying issue? Please tell me I'm worrying too much.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/14/17 02:47 PM

I know somewhere on here we talked about diet.
But what diet did you choose?

You can also do a tent test for dehydration where you grab their fur on their back near their neck, pull up and see if it goes back in place rather quickly.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/14/17 05:33 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by 'having trouble walking' compared to climbing or crawling. Might you be able to capture a short video of it for us? Or describe what you're seeing?

Love the pics, cute furball smile

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/14/17 06:01 PM

New concern came up as I was doing research. It's something that I'd never read so I considered it normal because she's still a baby. However, I came across in an article that it's bad to bring home a joey that walks unsteadily. Sometimes she acts like she has a slightly hard time balancing herself. When she crawls/climbs she has no issue, it's just her walking. Alyssa says it's getting a little better every day, but she's still doing it. I read this can be a sign of dehydration, but I highly doubt that as she is eating/drinking/urinating plenty. Could she be younger than we were told? Could there be another underlying issue? Please tell me I'm worrying too much.

This is entirely possible.
I base this on what you were told to feed her when you brought her home, and why I kept bringing up that she should be eating solid foods rather than the liquids IF she were indeed old enough to be away from her parents.
A good breeder would not separate younger than eight weeks out of pouch and some even wait until they are 12 weeks just to be sure they are eating/drinking/pooping/peeing as they should be.

I know somewhere on here we talked about diet.
But what diet did you choose?

You can also do a tent test for dehydration where you grab their fur on their back near their neck, pull up and see if it goes back in place rather quickly.

Originally Posted By: Procrastib8or on Sat Jul 08 2017
I have heard of a couple of diets that seem legitimate. The Australian Wombaroo diet seems great and I've heard/read good things. You think we should get her started on something like that immediately?

Have you started her on a more the Wombaroo feeding plan? Have you given her hand size (hers wink ) pieces of fruits/veggies plus the Wombaroo staple rather than the baby food mix you have been feeding?

Even thought she is eating some of the mixture plus pooing/peeing, it is still possible she is not getting all she needs nutritionally.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/14/17 07:23 PM

We were told Daisy was three months old when we got her, but we're not told how long she had been OOP. We are still feeding her a small amount of the baby food mixture (which we are currently mixing with instant HPW from exotic nutrition) but are feeding her plenty of assorted fruits and veggies. We are getting her on the actual Wombaroo diet this weekend.

Alyssa also reminded me that she only tends to look unbalanced when walking on her arm or on fleece, but is actually very balanced when trotting around her cage. So maybe that's a factor?

Also, if I had not mentioned it before, the breeder did tell us that she was able to eat solid foods before we picked her up, the baby food is just her the main diet she gives them until a certain point for some reason (possibly because it cheap/easy)

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/14/17 07:25 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by 'having trouble walking' compared to climbing or crawling. Might you be able to capture a short video of it for us?

That's a great idea, I'll try that tonight. And really "trouble walking" isn't the way to put it. She just seems a little clumsy at times and seems to hesitate with her feet placement at times. Like I said in a more recent post, she really only does it when walking on fleece or on my gf.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/14/17 07:34 PM

That a great idea, I'll try that tonight. And really "trouble walking" isn't the way to put it. She just seems a little clumsy at times and seems to hesitate with her feet placement at times. Like I said in a more recent post, she really only does it when walking on fleece or on my gf.

Okay, that would make sense. We human-trees are not quite as easy to grip as a real tree. When mine were young, I had so many long scratches all over my arms where they grabbed on hard to stop slipping off... or just bad landings. Merlin still has a little trouble on my bare skin.

For the fleece, watch her nails. If they get too long, they'll start snagging. Long, tiny, sharp nails will also make a bunch of punctures that apparently look like needle marks... had to explain that 'sugar glider' is not a new street name for a drug to a nurse/Major.

If you are able to get the video so others may see, it could remove any doubt you may have... but from what you just said, I wouldn't worry too much.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/15/17 12:57 AM

Oop is basically when they unlatch from momma for the first time. This is also their birth date. They are one in the same.

It was hard for me to understand how an embryo could crawl up and into the pouch successfully. It's quite a journey for something the size of a piece of rice. And latch on to momma till they grew into something that looks like a sugar glider.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/15/17 03:10 AM

Oop is basically when they unlatch from momma for the first time. This is also their birth date. They are one in the same.

Wow, I had no idea. Thank you for that, definitely something I should know.

Otherwise, couldn't help but post this pic. Alyssa had some different smells so Daisy was a little crabby tonight, but once she relaxed she was an angel.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/15/17 01:28 PM

Awe! The sweetest thing! Looked like it's going well. My gliders would never do that.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/15/17 03:33 PM

Thanks so much for the picture. From the looks of things, she is settling in wonderfully. Her tail is very bushy which is a good sign. I would suggest completely switching her to the Wombaroo diet and getting rid of the baby food altogether. Everything she needs is in that diet. Treats are okay as long as they are not over fed.

She is just too cute.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/15/17 07:09 PM

Otherwise, couldn't help but post this pic. Alyssa had some different smells so Daisy was a little crabby tonight, but once she relaxed she was an angel.
Dawwwwwww mlove

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/17/17 08:28 PM

After a lot of consideration and research, we have decided to acquire another glider asap (within the next week) We do still feel that a glider can be happy alone, but we want Daisy to be the happiest she can be. We already have another breeder and even another glider in place (putting down the deposit tonight) The breeder has a great reputation in the sugar glider community and I will share her and the new baby shortly. However, I have one question/concern (as usual)

The original plan was that if we were going to get a second glider, she would first bond to me during the quarantine process. This was also going to be after Daisy had fully bonded to Alyssa and was already in her long term cage. However, at this point they may be introduced to the cage and to each other at the same time. So, the question is: if Daisy is bonded only to Alyssa, and the new glider is bonded only to me, will that complicate their introduction? Obviously later on we want everyone to bond with everyone. But would it make it easier if they were both (separately) bonded to only Alyssa at the time they meet? Don't get me wrong, I would love to bond with the newbie and experience what Alyssa has with Daisy, but not if it can potentially cause problems.

As usual any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/17/17 08:36 PM

It doesn't matter what human they are bonded to when the gliders are introduced to each other. It will make no difference whether or not they like each other shakehead

With some gliders the attraction is immediate, while with others it takes some time to get them where they will be comfortable and like being cage mates. Some simply never are.

Be sure to read Feather's Article How To Introduce Gliders To Each Other . It will help you tremendously agree

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/17/17 09:53 PM

Hubby and I are both bonded to the girls.

Since you live in the same house, share meals, maybe even share shampoos, soap, laundry hamper and so on, Daisy knows you are already there. And vise versa on the new glider.

So bonding is just a matter of trust.

The biggest challenge will be later. Once the gliders are bonded to each other. One or both may suffer anxiety from being separated from the other when they are with their personal human tree. This takes a little time and patience.

Glider point of view:
Think about what the gliders have been through recently.... Each will have been taken from their mom and dad never to see them again. Strange place, smells, noises. Then they find a buddy. And that buddy disappears. Will they come back, or will they never see them again?

We went through this with Dot. She has separation anxiety from Fiona. Dot prefers her cage (long story). But if she has to choose, she chooses to stay with Fiona most of the time. Fiona could care less.

All gliders are different. I look forward to the journey you are about to take. I hope you will keep us posted on how it goes. I am curious. These little beasts intrigue me every day. Never a dull moment!

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/18/17 02:19 AM

It's official. We made a deposit and we're picking her up Thursday night (after a lovely three hour drive) But it's totally worth it, and we can't wait to meet our precious Mishka.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/18/17 03:24 AM

heart What a cutie! Safe travels, and hope all goes well!

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/18/17 02:13 PM

Quote:
The breeder has a great reputation in the sugar glider community and I will share her and the new baby shortly. However, I have one question/concern (as usual)

heart The name you picked for her, Mishka. She is just precious.

Now who is this breeder? Three hour ride, huh? Are you traveling North wink Hummm, could we make this a guessing game
rofl

ETA:Maybe more NW ish dunno
Posted By: Stef333

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/18/17 02:51 PM

She's gorgeous!! smile

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/18/17 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: KarenE
Now who is this breeder? Three hour ride, huh? Are you traveling North wink Hummm, could we make this a guessing game rofl

ETA:Maybe more NW ish dunno

That's so accurate it's scary, lol. Here is the link to her page and Mishka:

http://www.mygliders.com/female-cream-280/

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/18/17 09:21 PM

Good reviews, but actually not who I thought it was.

Cannot wait to hear how the introduction goes with Daisy.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/21/17 06:12 AM

Big update:

The new baby is home and in her temporary cage next to Daisy. She is as cute as can be (many more pics soon to come) and so far she is a pure angel. Mishka makes Daisy seem like a wild animal, as we were able to hold her in a calm state the moment we met her (Daisy is a crazy jumper and only hangs out on us when she's tired out) We couldn't be happier with our new child, but you know the drill...

Our experience today left us with a few questions/concerns. Don't get me wrong, the breeder is amazing. Her and her daughter are extremely nice and knowledgeable. And now looking at both experiences, it seems Daisy's breeder may have been a bit sketchy. Mishka is so much more tame, making me think she was handled much better since her birth. She is also being fed a much better diet and was actually with her parents when he got her (so sad I almost couldn't do it)

Here's the biggest concern we have now though: the size of Daisy. She is tiny. This was our first experience seeing multiple gliders, including adults. Mishka herself is supposed to be a month younger, but is clearly bigger. And we were shown another that is three months old, and she was at least twice the size of Daisy. The breeder seemed a little concerned but said as long as she is eating/drinking/pottying regularly then she should be fine. So, either we were lied to and Daisy is only a month or two old or she is just...small. We're taking them both for check-ups next week so hopefully the vet can shed some light and confirm that Daisy is as healthy as she acts.

However, like I said, Mishka is wonderful and we're very happy with our new family. We can't wait to introduce them and watch them grow together.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/21/17 07:46 AM

Fiona is still petite. Dot was double Fiona's size and weight when they were both 12wks oop.

We got Fiona first(at a fair), and 30 days later we got Dot (from an individual who split up their colony and sold them . We suspect abuse too).

Since there is a size difference, you may want to purchase a digital scale that measures grams in order to keep track of their weight. It helped me out a lot when they were sick a year ago, and when dot grew which made Fiona look like she was losing weight.

Breeders make a difference. Some handle them as soon as they are oop, while others feel they will form a bond to them and not their new family. It's all in opinion. But I feel if they are handled oop they are more tame.

The opinions on diet are as varied as colors of socks. Some are great, some are not so great IMO.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/21/17 03:24 PM

It might just be genetics. Arthur is MUCH bigger than Merlin (my smallest). It wasn't quite as bad when they were babys, but it was still very noticable back then.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/23/17 06:01 PM

Fiona is still petite. Dot was double Fiona's size and weight when they were both 12wks oop.

Since there is a size difference, you may want to purchase a digital scale that measures grams in order to keep track of their weight.

Thanks for the input. We're definitely gonna get a scale.

It might just be genetics. Arthur is MUCH bigger than Merlin (my smallest). It wasn't quite as bad when they were babys, but it was still very noticable back then.

Thanks for the input, hoping we're having a similar issue.

New concern:
Mishka seems to be settling in well and the first two nights she ate her full meal, veggies and all. However, last night Mishka barely touched her food. I have read that it's common for newly rehomed joeys to not eat regularly for the first week or so, I just find it odd that she waited until night three to do it. Should we be really concerned? She drank all of her water so I doubt she's dehydrated. Thanks as always.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/23/17 06:18 PM

Mine rarely eat all their food and they are 3yrs.

Because I'm dealing with some food aggression, I haven't cut their portions back. Sometimes it's the weather, moon phase, in heat, or they just aren't as active. I do cut back on treats(or eliminate them) when I feel they should eat more. It usually works.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/23/17 07:12 PM

Mine rarely eat all their food and they are 3yrs

I'm mainly concerned because it didn't look like she ate any of it.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/23/17 07:16 PM

Is she pooping?

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/23/17 07:32 PM

Is she pooping?

Yes, she went last night when we took her out for playtime, before putting her food out.

She also went this morning.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/23/17 11:26 PM

You will find as your life with gliders go on that gliders will not eat everything some nights and clean their dishes the next.

You may also see that when there is a full moon they may not eat every thing or may not eat at all.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/23/17 11:31 PM

My four gliders vary heavily from cleaning the plate to looking like they skipped dinner. With four sharing the same plate. The best I am able to to guess is, much like humans, gliders may skip meals is they're not feeling it.

For whatever it may be worth.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/24/17 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Feather
You will find as your life with gliders go on that gliders will not eat everything some nights and clean their dishes the next

The best I am able to to guess is, much like humans, gliders may skip meals is they're not feeling it.

I appreciate the positive responses. I'm going to assume it was just a fluke, as she proceeded to clean her plate last night.

Very exciting news: the babies were introduced this morning. I regret not getting a video (it wasn't very exciting anyway, and we were both very nervous) but they hit it off immediately. No crabbing, just a bark or two and some purring. The meeting got them so hyped up that we had a short play session with them. Now they are both snuggling in the same pouch that Alyssa is wearing. We're so happy that they're happy. I'll post pics of them together after bathroom time tonight.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/24/17 04:15 PM

So glad the introduction went so well clap

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/24/17 10:54 PM

clap

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/25/17 07:30 PM

<3

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/25/17 08:14 PM

OMGoodness heart

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/25/17 08:17 PM

Awwww.... How sweet!

I'm glad they hit it off so well!

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 07/25/17 09:51 PM

mlove cloud9

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 08/02/17 08:18 PM

Haven't posted in a while, hope the thread is still considered active.

Just a quick update and question:
Things are still going great. The girls are getting along very well and we even experienced seeing Daisy physically "ride" Mishka like a horse, which was just ridiculously cute. However, despite feeding them a highly recommended diet (Wombaroo) we are still noticing loose stool. Mishka had particularly runny poo (not quite diarrhea) and it made me concerned. I think it may be due to us feeding them watery fruits and veggies (apple, melon, cucumber) and not enough fiber.

So, I went and got an artichoke, broccoli, raspberries, and bananas. But can anyone explain how to prepare the artichoke for them? And if I should cook the broccoli first? Everything is certified organic so no worries there.

As a side note, we've also been giving them bok choy, carrots, green pepper, and peaches (I've been giving them an assortment of two veggies and two fruits every night and switch it up every couple days)

If there's something wrong with the diet I'm giving them let me know, although I've confirmed all these things are safe through research. We're going to have checkups for them next week in case there is something we're not seeing.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 08/02/17 10:41 PM

Haven't posted in a while, hope the thread is still considered active.

Just a quick update and question:
Things are still going great. The girls are getting along very well and we even experienced seeing Daisy physically "ride" Mishka like a horse, which was just ridiculously cute. However, despite feeding them a highly recommended diet (Wombaroo) we are still noticing loose stool. Mishka had particularly runny poo (not quite diarrhea) and it made me concerned. I think it may be due to us feeding them watery fruits and veggies (apple, melon, cucumber) and not enough fiber.

So, I went and got an artichoke, broccoli, raspberries, and bananas. But can anyone explain how to prepare the artichoke for them? And if I should cook the broccoli first? Everything is certified organic so no worries there.

As a side note, we've also been giving them bok choy, carrots, green pepper, and peaches (I've been giving them an assortment of two veggies and two fruits every night and switch it up every couple days)

If there's something wrong with the diet I'm giving them let me know, although I've confirmed all these things are safe through research. We're going to have checkups for them next week in case there is something we're not seeing.

I suggest going to the vet with them and have the vet run a fecal, make sure they check for Giardia.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 08/03/17 12:37 AM

I agree with Feather.

Gliders only needs soluble fiber, they spit out the insoluble fiber. Their digestive tract won't handle it.

Always chop their fruits and veggies, never blend them.

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 08/03/17 11:56 PM

<3

Too much cuteness, never mind, no such thing as too much when it's these guys! They're so cute!!!!!!

Re: New Sugar Glider Parents - 08/04/17 10:07 AM

Awesome pic ! They are adorable!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL