GliderCENTRAL

I rescue animals- but I知 new to gliders!

Posted By: Alexybell

I rescue animals- but I知 new to gliders! - 06/15/18 03:19 AM

Hello! I知 Lexy. I知 a nurse and a vet tech. I also do a lot of rehab/ rehoming. I got a call about 6 months ago from a friend that does home rehab. He said there were squirrels living in the cabinets of the home he was working on. He needed help. Upon my arrival I realized that the creatures he was referring to were not squirrels at all. They were marsupials. The couple were starving in an abandon house , so it was not hard to coax them with some fruit. Long story short they became my babes. Both not fixed... so webarr great friends ! I have dog that is trained as a service animal fo kids. She come with me to work! They ride her back on a regular basis. Mom has recently had two babies- girls they seem large enough to remove and put in another habitat , but I知 worried. Please help ! They are grown to a reasonable size and weight- I just don稚 know. Evacuee they are not eating other food that I致e seen.... HELP

Re: I rescue animals- but I知 new to gliders! - 06/15/18 03:33 AM

Just to be clear I do rehab / homing on abandon animals - this is my first exp with gliders... any advice would be helpful. Hey are all in good health and have been to the vet.
Posted By: Feather

Re: I rescue animals- but I知 new to gliders! - 06/15/18 05:20 AM

I don't wean joeys until they are at least 10 weeks out of pouch.

I would wait until you see them eating on their own on a regular basis to wean if you are not sure of the out of pouch date.

You should get the males neutered then you will have a nice family colony.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: I rescue animals- but I知 new to gliders! - 06/15/18 12:04 PM

:welcomegc:

So glad you're here!

Thank you for rescuing the gliders.

What diet did you choose to them?

Re: I rescue animals- but I知 new to gliders! - 06/20/18 05:39 AM

I chose HPW and fresh fruits and veggies. One of the babies is starting to eat this now but the other is a bit smaller and will not try any of it...

Re: I rescue animals- but I知 new to gliders! - 06/20/18 05:41 AM

I only have one male and was hoping to have a male baby so we would not have to neuter him. Alas, we have to girls! I壇 rather not neuter my male any suggestions ? Or is this just a common thing to do frown
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: I rescue animals- but I知 new to gliders! - 06/20/18 10:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Alexybell
I only have one male and was hoping to have a male baby so we would not have to neuter him. Alas, we have to girls! I壇 rather not neuter my male any suggestions ? Or is this just a common thing to do frown

Congratulations on the Joey's!!! mlove

The best thing to do is a neuter. And ASAP. Mom could already be pregnant or holding embrio in stasis.

I would recommend a Lazer neuter with pom off. That way he can be put back in the colony and help raise the girls.

I'm glad you chose HPW, it is a really good diet. thumb
© 2019 GliderCENTRAL