GliderCENTRAL

I'm back (maybe)

Posted By: dahowlers

I'm back (maybe) - 10/26/18 04:43 PM

Hey ya'll, I joined the forum in 2009 when I first learned about Sugar Gliders for presentation I wrote in my small vet class in high school! I was never in a place to get gliders but I poured over researching them, begged for them (spoiler, it didn't work), and kept them in the back of my mind all this time. I'm finally graduated from college and have a great job in my field, financially stable, despite heaps of student and personal loans.

A few weeks ago, my roommate showed me that a rescue she used to volunteer for has a trio for adoption and is accepting phone calls for inquiries. I deliberated for a week before I caved and called on Monday (one of them happens to be leucistic, my absolute favorite color), it seems like a dream opportunity! I'm giving it until next Monday before I call again. I'm just really excited and wanted to share. I think my roommate is getting sick of my complaining about the rescue not calling everyday grin

I have one question: There's a neutered 6 year-old male singleton on a local re-homing page. I was considering getting him as well to try to intro to the trio, if I get them. Would this be unwise? I figured there would be no strong territory claims yet and that that might help with the process. I have no information on the trio as of yet, if that's a factor. The rescue only posted the number of sugs, I have no info on sexes, ages, etc, anything.

I plan on having a DCN at the very least and feeding TPG, with insects and pinkies as dietary enrichment.

Re: I'm back (maybe) - 10/26/18 08:21 PM

Update: I already messaged Finch’s (the neutered male) owner about adding him to the trio if they bond smile
Posted By: Feather

Re: I'm back (maybe) - 10/26/18 11:12 PM

May I ask what local rescue you are getting your gliders from?

Re: I'm back (maybe) - 10/27/18 02:35 PM

She's not a glider specific rescue, but an exotics animal rescue that happens to have gliders right now smile Kingdom Animalia Exotic Animal Rescue, located in Suring, WI. Unfortunately, she's also three hours from me but I'm willing to make the drive.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: I'm back (maybe) - 10/27/18 02:57 PM

Feather/Kim is exclusively a glider rescue so she might be a better source for you depending on where you are. Shoot her a Private Message if you are interested so you can discuss it agree

Re: I'm back (maybe) - 10/27/18 06:15 PM

Better source to adopt from, or to get information from?
Posted By: KarenE

Re: I'm back (maybe) - 10/27/18 06:23 PM

I certainly think so agree
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: I'm back (maybe) - 10/28/18 09:19 AM

:welcome: Back!!! smile

Originally Posted By: dahowlers
Better source to adopt from, or to get information from?

Both. She is a plethora of information, and I think her rescue is bursting at the seams... She makes sure all the rescues are healthy and /or rehabed and ready for their new "furever" home.

Re: I'm back (maybe) - 10/28/18 03:13 PM

Thank you ^_^ I'll contact her if this rescue falls through smile

Re: I'm back (maybe) - 10/28/18 03:20 PM

You can contact me for anything, not just adoptions.

I also hold toy making parties throughout the year to make foraging toys for the gliders and now we offer safe sewing lessons for you too.

If you want to learn to make hidden seams, boxed corners and sew safely for your sugar gliders come to our toy making parties.

I hold them in a town called Oregon, WI, which is just south of Madison. We have them at the Oregon Fire and EMS station in their training room.

I also trim nails during these events if your not comfortable doing it yourself or would like to learn how to trim your gliders nails.

Re: I'm back (maybe) - 10/28/18 06:01 PM

That sounds amazing, I'd love to get involved! I'll message you smile
Posted By: Hydrus

Re: I'm back (maybe) - 11/05/18 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Feather
You can contact me for anything, not just adoptions.

I also hold toy making parties throughout the year to make foraging toys for the gliders and now we offer safe sewing lessons for you too.

If you want to learn to make hidden seams, boxed corners and sew safely for your sugar gliders come to our toy making parties.

I hold them in a town called Oregon, WI, which is just south of Madison. We have them at the Oregon Fire and EMS station in their training room.

I also trim nails during these events if your not comfortable doing it yourself or would like to learn how to trim your gliders nails.

Hey Feather, you are about 5 hours from me. BUT I'm actually interested in what you have mentioned as far as toy making and sewing classes. I currently make my own toys and sew my own pouches but I'm sure that you could teach me so much more and safer ways to sew. Do you do all of those things in one day or over a weekend? Or even better do you put any of your classes on youtube? I'd have to take time off work to come out to visit so am really curious how you scheduled your events/classes smile

Re: I'm back (maybe) - 11/06/18 01:32 AM

We do it on a Saturday, I have had people come in the night before and stay in one of the two hotels in Stoughton and then drive over to Oregon Fire Station for the Saturday. We usually say from 9 to 5.

Some return home that night and some spend another night in the hotel.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL