GliderCENTRAL

Glider is "striking"

Posted By: Michaelatk

Glider is "striking" - 04/15/14 05:23 PM

I just recently (Saturday) bought a sugar glider. He does not seem to want to bond at all though. If he's in his cage, out of his pouch,and I walk up to it, he will strike at me like he's going to attack me. I did the 24-36 hours of them adjusting. And now I'm trying to keep him in his pouch on me as much as possible but he just isn't having it. He's very aggressive. I've been bit a number of times, and I don't jerk my hand away. I let him. But I literally can not walk up to his cage without him striking at me, acting like he's going to attack me, and then start "crabbing". What do I do?
Posted By: yiyo

Re: Glider is "striking" - 04/15/14 05:47 PM

wave Welcome to GC!

Unfortunately, it sounds like your little one is completely terrified. Depending where he came from, that could be very understandable. But with some work and lots of patience, he has potential to be a great loving glider.

Read thru these two articles and you'll get some great bonding tips:
Building a Relationship with your Glider
Into the Bonding Pit

I unknowingly got my first glider from a very large mill broker before researching and he sounds much like yours is. Then I found this site which helped immensely.

Don't get discouraged, just remember he's very very afraid right now wink
Posted By: StitchsMom

Re: Glider is "striking" - 04/16/14 01:13 PM

I'm sorry your little one is being difficult. Did you get him from a breeder? If you did, I would reach out to them for some assistance. I was a breeder for more than ten years and gliders all have different personalities. Some handle change better than others. I agree that it sounds like your glider is scared.

With gliders like yours, you must take a very slow approach to bonding. If you push too much, it can freak them out. I would start by just sitting near the cage and talking to him. Let him get used to your voice. Have treats handy and if he approaches you at all, you can offer him one. Try to move at his pace.

Yiyo has provided some good links for you to take a look at. I hope your little one starts to come around soon!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL