GliderCENTRAL

shock? not even sure what to call it...

Posted By: paziano01

shock? not even sure what to call it... - 07/15/14 05:15 PM

Hi everyone, i'm new here.
I have two girls that are about a year and a half each.
they've been in the same cage for more than six month.
one of the two (Peach) is a little chubby. she just loves to eat.
The other (Stella) is not so much into food. and that reflects on her weight, but there's nothing i can give her, short of snacks, that will keep her eating with gusto like peach.
They are both on HPW complete powder. I live in japan and its impossible to get all the ingredients to make on my own, so i just order the powder mix from the states. Of caurse they always have fruits and veggie with it, but they got very picky on what they eat and there's always a lot of leftover, cause i won't give in and give only their favourite.

ok, now that i gave you a little bit of background...

something weird happened twice in a month. Stella while out in the tent one time just got blocked. i mean her eyes were opened and she had some power in her legs, but leaned a little on the side of the tent. i picked her up and she was staying there without moving no matter what i did to her. after a couple of minutes of holding her and petting her she went back to normal. nothing more after that and about a week later they had their routine 6 month check up to the vet. the vet said they were fine, and the poop was ok.
now yesterday the same thing happened when i put her back in the cage. only this time after a couple of minutes when she started moving again, i put her back in the cage and she acted like everything scared her. hopping side ways while looking at a branch then same thing with a toy, the pouch...
it took her a while before she was acting normal again.
today i didn't do tent time and just observed her, and she was fine enough.

anybody experience this sort of things before?
how worried should i be?

THX
Posted By: JenK

Re: shock? not even sure what to call it... - 07/15/14 10:22 PM

I'm sorry to hear this- I haven't experienced this. I hope some one with more expertise can advise you.
Posted By: nick

Re: shock? not even sure what to call it... - 07/15/14 10:55 PM

I have had this happen before it is more lines of an epileptic seizure And my vet said there is not a lot that can b done for it but the holding and just being there for them helps more thing anyting
Posted By: TSG

Re: shock? not even sure what to call it... - 07/16/14 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: nick
I have had this happen before it is more lines of an epileptic seizure And my vet said there is not a lot that can b done for it but the holding and just being there for them helps more thing anyting

:agreed:
If you see vomiting you have to take her back to the vet immediately, otherwise I agree with Nick! Some gliders just get mini seizures once in a while, but healthy.

Re: shock? not even sure what to call it... - 07/16/14 03:36 AM

Thank you, now that i think about, yea, it kind of looked like a mini seizure, with post seizure shock... maybe...
Posted By: TSG

Re: shock? not even sure what to call it... - 07/16/14 04:25 AM

Did it happen right after she woke up?

Re: shock? not even sure what to call it... - 07/16/14 05:08 AM

no, both times about a couple of hours after she woke up
Posted By: AshleighNicole

Re: shock? not even sure what to call it... - 07/31/14 05:14 PM

I have very little Sugar Glider experience, being new to the Suggie world as an adult, but I've spent years fostering and rehabilitating dogs. What I've learned with this is that basic behavior is pretty much the same for humans, dogs, rats, even Gliders.
So that being said, I feel comfortable saying this smile
I had a friend who's Chihuahua acted EXACTLY like this. He would have a seizure, freak out and not recognize her, even be afraid of the wall. Ten minutes later, he'd walk around like everything was fine and nothing happened. They did give him medication, but stopped because it made the seizures worse. For him, they bundled him in a blanket because he was so tiny, so he couldn't hurt himself. If I were you, as long as there's no other odd behavior, just keep and eye on her and keep her safely in the pouch after having one.
Good luck with your baby!

Posted By: Srlb

Re: shock? not even sure what to call it... - 07/31/14 06:44 PM

Before doing tent time, try offering her a little something sweet to eat. When they wake up you will often feel them shake, this is getting their metabolism up. They will at times drop into a low blood sugar level which can cause seizures.

Get some yogurt drops and try that.
Posted By: borsig

Re: shock? not even sure what to call it... - 08/01/14 12:55 PM

Sugar freeze.. sometimes happens.
As said rightly, low on sugar / fluid.
Posted By: Kesha

Re: shock? not even sure what to call it... - 08/03/14 07:48 PM

I'm sorry to hear that about your glider. Try to always keep food in the cage and water so she won't run the risk of having low blood sugar.
Posted By: Kesha

Re: shock? not even sure what to call it... - 08/03/14 07:51 PM

This is really cool to have glider lovers all over the world! We share our stories and experiences with each other so we can learn and grow.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL