GliderCENTRAL

glider zoning out???

Posted By: ChatTAHOOchee

glider zoning out??? - 11/28/14 11:45 PM

Does anyone know how to tell how old your glider is??? After hearing how corrupt some breeders can be I'm curious to know if she was honest about ours being a couple of months old. guessing the only way to tell is to take her to the vet?

Also, I often find her in her cage staring off into the distance like she's mesmerized and won't move. She perks up after a while and will play with me but it's still very strange. I'm hoping it's just her taking some time to wake up. Anyone have any experience with this??

Thank you for any information!
Posted By: Feather

Re: glider zoning out??? - 11/29/14 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: ChatTAHOOchee
Does anyone know how to tell how old your glider is??? After hearing how corrupt some breeders can be I'm curious to know if she was honest about ours being a couple of months old. guessing the only way to tell is to take her to the vet?

Also, I often find her in her cage staring off into the distance like she's mesmerized and won't move. She perks up after a while and will play with me but it's still very strange. I'm hoping it's just her taking some time to wake up. Anyone have any experience with this??

Thank you for any information!

I am not sure how to tell how old a glider is. Young joeys have a tail that isn't as fluffy as an adult, I am not sure what age it gets its loft. It appears slicked down in young joeys.

As far as your glider staying still and appearing to star off into space, she could be trying to not be seen. Gliders will "freeze" to not be detected by predators.

Hopefully someone with more experience with telling the age of young gliders versus mature gliders will come post to this thread.
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: glider zoning out??? - 11/29/14 04:56 AM

Spacing out is normal for gliders. They are naturally prey animals so they will sometimes stay totally motionless while they survey the surrounding area to make sure it is safe to go about their usual activity.

Many gliders will shiver for a few minutes when they first wake up - they seem to need a little time to rev up their motors before they get going. They can drop their body temperature while they sleep and need to warm up before being active.

It is hard to judge a glider's age once they have reached their adult size. Most continue to grow at least until they are 10 to 12 months OOP. Size alone is not a good way to determine age because like people, gliders come in all sizes. If you get a kitchen scale that weighs in grams you can weigh your glider weekly and about the same time of day each time. This will let you know if your glider is growing and gradually gaining weight. At some point your glider's weight will stabilize and remain about the same with each weigh in - at that point your glider will probably be about 10 months OOP. Hopefully that will fit with the age you were told by the breeder.
Posted By: ChatTAHOOchee

Re: glider zoning out??? - 11/29/14 05:13 AM

Wow thank you guys! I was worried that something was wrong but that all makes sense.
thanks
Posted By: Beki516

Re: glider zoning out??? - 11/29/14 04:02 PM

Zephyr does this sometimes, I figured it was a prey thing, but I'm glad to have confirmation smile
Posted By: Kris_N_Zoe

Re: glider zoning out??? - 12/01/14 04:35 PM

Also with the weighing, take note if they've just pottied or drank water, it does make a difference.
The other night i weighed Zoey after she peed, she was 84.1 grams.... After a drink of water 2 minutes later she was 86.4 grams... Big difference. That's why it's good to take weights at the same time of day.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL