GliderCENTRAL

sugar glider waking up later and later...

Posted By: SuggieMommie91

sugar glider waking up later and later... - 06/12/15 05:08 AM

i hope this is the right topic to put this under.

i got my sugar glider just about two weeks ago. i started him on BML after about a week of having him. at first he was finishing almost all the BML mix, but the past few nights he has been leaving quite a bit. i have also noticed he has been getting up later and later. for about the first week he woke up at 10pm sharp, then that changed to about 12:30. today my tent came in the mail, so i woke him up around 11:30 and played with him for almost an hour in there, but he ended up climbing into the bonding pouch and going back to sleep. now its 1am and he is still sleeping. is this normal or should i be worried?

Re: sugar glider waking up later and later... - 06/12/15 05:13 AM

also my BML mix is missing fruit juice. it has apple juice and ALL the other ingredients and i also feed him the recommended fruits and vegetables every night. obviously my next mix will have fruit juice, but the recipe I printed out was missing this ingredient, and I didnt realize until later that it was supposed to be in the mix. Maybe i could buy fruit juice and pour a tiny bit on top of his mix every night? I dont have the money until Wednesday to remake the whole entire thing. is this ok for now?

Re: sugar glider waking up later and later... - 06/12/15 05:14 AM

i know i have read that whatever diet you feed it MUST have all the ingredients, but its only fruit juice, so i figured this wouldnt be a huge health risk, especially until i get paid, but maybe im wrong..?
Posted By: Feather

Re: sugar glider waking up later and later... - 06/13/15 12:13 AM

I have some gliders that are up early and others that are pouch potatoes and get up later.

Gliders don't stay up all night, they alternate between eating, playing, cleaning themselves and sleeping.

It you are worried, take them in for a wellness visit, which you should do at least once a year. Have them run a fecal to check for parasites.

As far as not cleaning up their food, some days they will not clean their plates and some days they clean it so well you wonder if you gave them enough to eat.
Posted By: Terry

Re: sugar glider waking up later and later... - 06/13/15 02:55 AM

My gliders wake up later and go back to bed earlier when the days start getting longer. They may even get up midday for a snack at times and go back to sleep.

Appetites can fluctuate as well, temp changes, moon phasees, or even just their moods.

You could get him a well check, he is fairly new and also could be settling in, but if this continues, then I'd set him up an appointment.

Make your next batch following the recipes to prevent throwing off nutritional values, but seriously imo you could finish the batch has is this time, it's temporary, and not the worst.
Posted By: Bill

Re: sugar glider waking up later and later... - 06/13/15 03:58 AM

Out of my four, three will be up most of the night and the one comes out after they have settled down. I think she just enjoys chillin by herself!
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: sugar glider waking up later and later... - 06/13/15 05:35 AM

What is the lighting in the room like during the day?

Gliders need light during normal day light hours to help regulate their internal clock. If the room where their cage is located is dark all day or if the cage is kept dark with a cage cover, the gliders may be awake during the day and then sleep later in the evenings.

They also need the room to be darkened in the evenings or they may not be willing to come out of their sleeping pouch.

My gliders will stay in their pouch until I turn the lights off in their room. They are OK with the light from a computer screen or small TV but not a lamp in the room.

My gliders are on a sun porch so they have full light from windows on 3 walls all day. They wake up about an hour after full sunset each evening.

Re: sugar glider waking up later and later... - 06/13/15 10:19 PM

ok thanks everyone. yesterday he ate almost all his food. I was thinking maybe I was spoiling him with too many treats during the day. I took him to the vet today they said his fur, eyes and everything else looks very healthy. they tooka stool sample to check for parasites, so I will see.
Posted By: Ittermat

Re: sugar glider waking up later and later... - 06/14/15 03:40 PM

MY two dont seem to get up till like... 2am... then they're up till around 10-11am (with the normal sleepy breaks inbetween..)

but I think this is mainly because the lighting in the apartment of our livingroom is terrible. (in other words...there is no light besides my desk lamp and what comes in from the sliding door and sometimes the TV.)

They seem fine otherwise..and im not entirely worried..

I hope yours is okay ^^
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL