GliderCENTRAL

Playing Opossum?

Posted By: onetruth

Playing Opossum? - 05/23/16 03:12 AM

I haven't had a ton of luck finding info on this, but is it a good sign when a glider basically plays dead and lets you pet him? I haven't worked as hard at bonding as I should, but I have made a lot of strides. I took Hype's pouch out of the cage tonight and offered him his favorite treat of applesauce. He curled up, face down in his pouch, and let me pet him. He didn't move for a long time. He had done similar things while in his cage. Is it fear? Trust?

Well, I believe that even if he just tolerated it other times, tonight must have been different. He ended up crawling all over me for the first time (he has been on my arm tons, but usually only after I sit at his cage for long periods of time with my arms at terribly uncomfortable angles). He crawled on my boyfriend. After a while, he was too hyper, and I hadn't really expected him to want to be one me, so I wasn't prepared. I tried to put him back in his cage, but it took a few tries. Lol Once he moved away, I tried to put his pouch back, but he jumped on my leg. After crawling on me a bit more, he jumped onto the ground. I cringed, but I grabbed him, fully expecting to lose a finger. He never bit me. I forced him back in the cage again. Lol I'll pull the tent out of the shed tomorrow.

Okay, partially I wanted to share my joy. This has been months in the making. But also, there were many times I thought he was playing dead out of tolerance/fear. I noticed him shaking a lot once. He is usually completely silent. What have you experienced?

Re: Playing Opossum? - 05/23/16 03:30 AM

Sorry, this probably should have gone under behavior.
Posted By: MomoShiva

Re: Playing Opossum? - 05/23/16 05:48 AM

Hi I've only had gliders for a year but I think I know what you're talking about.

Someone with more experience will reply soon.

Both of my gliders love it when I rub their chin, while I'm doing it they'll stay completely still and when I stop they snap out of it. Is like they're in some sort of trance.

I think this is normal, when one glider starts grooming another the one being groomed freezes and waits for the other to finish.

I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say and that it makes sense.

Re: Playing Opossum? - 05/23/16 11:14 AM

Oh, that makes sense. I only have one glider at the moment, but I have dogs that lick each other all the time. One usually puts another one into a heavy sleep. Lol
Posted By: LSinc

Re: Playing Opossum? - 05/23/16 01:00 PM

I think it's normal. For a long time, when I only had Roo, I would check on her in the morning. I would take the pouch out of her cage and put my hand in the pouch. At first she would be curious and then she would roll into a ball and bury her head. I would pet her head and back and she would go back to sleep. Now with two, I still check on them every morning and when I put my hand in the pouch they both lick my fingers and grab onto them. I take one out at a time and give them a good going over to make sure nothing mysterious happened during the night and then I put them back in the pouch. They both love their chins and ears rubbed.

Roo :grey:

Sir Nigel Thornberry :grey:
Posted By: Feather

Re: Playing Opossum? - 05/24/16 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: onetruth
I took Hype's pouch out of the cage tonight and offered him his favorite treat of applesauce. He curled up, face down in his pouch, and let me pet him. He didn't move for a long time. He had done similar things while in his cage. Is it fear? Trust?

I would say that he trusts you enough to try to continue sleeping. I would take it as a good thing, you got him up early and he still wanted to sleep but he didn't try to get away from you to do it.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL