GliderCENTRAL

Can Caramel Gliders Safely Breed Other Colors?

Posted By: Claralice

Can Caramel Gliders Safely Breed Other Colors? - 01/11/18 04:34 AM

I have read mixed information. Some sites state Caramels are a different type while others state the color is just diet. I have also read that they are slightly larger than their "cousins."

So, can they breed other colors and are they a different type?
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Can Caramel Gliders Safely Breed Other Colors? - 01/11/18 04:50 AM

This is what I found:

http://www.glidernursery.com/carmels.html

Looks like they may produce sterile lines. Grey's and caramels are different subspecies.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Can Caramel Gliders Safely Breed Other Colors? - 01/11/18 05:29 AM

Caramels must be bred to Caramels, if bred with other gliders you WILL produce sterile gliders. The male will be sterile the females just carry the gene.

People have worked very hard to clean up the sterility you won't be able to sell them as breeding stock.

Re: Can Caramel Gliders Safely Breed Other Colors? - 01/12/18 01:58 AM

Hi Kim,
Are you saying if I were to get a breeding pair of Caramels, they could not breed and then sale their babies as breeding stock? Not mixing but Caramel to Caramel?
Posted By: Feather

Re: Can Caramel Gliders Safely Breed Other Colors? - 01/12/18 09:00 PM

If you get a pair of Caramels you can sell them as breeding stock.

If you breed a Caramel to a regular glider you will get sterile males and females that carry the gene for sterility.

Re: Can Caramel Gliders Safely Breed Other Colors? - 01/13/18 02:18 AM

Got it!
Posted By: Terry

Re: Can Caramel Gliders Safely Breed Other Colors? - 01/14/18 04:44 PM

if you are planning to start a caramel breeding program, and then sell the joeys as breeders, please make sure you have factual lineage records and ensure your buyers for breeders are aware of lineage as well.

Re: Can Caramel Gliders Safely Breed Other Colors? - 01/14/18 06:55 PM

I agree Terry. Not sure I want that kind of responsibility right now! Just trying to figure out my options.
Posted By: Terry

Re: Can Caramel Gliders Safely Breed Other Colors? - 01/14/18 07:04 PM

Part of the reason why I haven't considered breeding. I can see the joy in it, but the responsibility is tramendous. With you luck with whatever you decide. Support can always be found here.
© 2019 GliderCENTRAL