GliderCENTRAL

Pork Bones or Bones... Can gliders have bones?

Posted By: EllieTheMuMu

Pork Bones or Bones... Can gliders have bones? - 02/20/16 11:14 PM

Hi!

So I had pork for diner and thought! People save bones for dogs so why not for sugar gliders!?

I ate my pork off the bone ad let them clean it and boy was the family having fun watch it! They went to town and Stitch was in his glory! I think they like being able to scrape off the food with their teeth bc I cant find any safe branches for them!

I the googled after the thought if they could eat pork (Im a bad mom), but says not a good idea bc its high in fat.

Now if I give them the bone to scrape off excess meat like once a month would that be okay? Now that i know they enjoy it so much? I wouldnt ever just feed them straight pork.

It said avocados are no good but oly for treats so I was wondering if it would be ok for a treat?

Are there any other bones they could eat? Maybe chicken? Or bones in general? Any opinions are great! thanks!

My mom took such cute pics of them eatting haha
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Pork Bones or Bones... Can gliders have bones? - 02/21/16 04:11 AM

I would not recommend pork as it is not only high in fat, which gliders do not need a lot of, it is also high in sodium.

You can boil up some chicken legs and remove 99% of the meat off the leg bone and let them have that once every other month or so.

I say every other month or so, because honestly, sugar gliders do not require high levels of protein and too much protein offered over long periods of time is hard on their kidneys and liver and can cause damage. Most of the staples we feed are already too high in protein and people just keep adding more to the diet.

Re: Pork Bones or Bones... Can gliders have bones? - 02/21/16 01:34 PM

Thanks Peggy! I had no idea about the content or that it could do much harm! Ill use chicken then!
Posted By: josefine

Re: Pork Bones or Bones... Can gliders have bones? - 02/21/16 08:58 PM

What is used to break the leg bones up so they can get to the marrow?

My knives aren't sharp enough, & a hammer shatters it too much, or I'm hitting it too hard?
Posted By: Huly

Re: Pork Bones or Bones... Can gliders have bones? - 02/21/16 10:12 PM

Also in the dog world cooked bones are horrible. They can splinter and get caught in the throat etc. Raw bones are highly digestable and do not splinter. My crew only get raw bones.

Not sure if that would apply to a glider

Re: Pork Bones or Bones... Can gliders have bones? - 02/21/16 11:24 PM

Nothing is used. They get the marrow out on their own. They use their tongues.

I would not suggest leaving a raw chicken bone in the cage with a glider for a long period of time due to salmonella bacteria being spread around the cage with them carrying the bone everywhere. Dogs eat them quickly and do not 'travel' with them or drag them as gliders do.

Gliders do not actually eat the bone, they just get the marrow out and the meat off of them, including if it is just chicken leg bones.

Re: Pork Bones or Bones... Can gliders have bones? - 02/21/16 11:52 PM

I cook the chicken. Baked & boiled.

Re: Pork Bones or Bones... Can gliders have bones? - 02/22/16 12:00 AM

I have lots of gliders. I can't give a whole leg to each one of them. I know they don't eat the actual bone, I mentioned the marrow.

Re: Pork Bones or Bones... Can gliders have bones? - 02/22/16 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Huly
Also in the dog world cooked bones are horrible. They can splinter and get caught in the throat etc. Raw bones are highly digestable and do not splinter. My crew only get raw bones.

Not sure if that would apply to a glider

Wow I had no idea about that either! Never had a dog because everyone but me in the house is allergic T.T but good to know when I get a dog!

Re: Pork Bones or Bones... Can gliders have bones? - 02/22/16 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: josefine
I have lots of gliders. I can't give a whole leg to each one of them. I know they don't eat the actual bone, I mentioned the marrow.

So, have you ever given them a cucumber or a green bean and notice how it appears to not be eaten but then you look and its completely hollowed out? I think they can do that with bones.

In the wild they scrape for tree sap which I would imagine you have to carve pretty deep for. I think if they can normally handle trees a chicken bone wouldnt be a problem!
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Pork Bones or Bones... Can gliders have bones? - 02/22/16 03:58 AM

Josefine, you wouldn't give each glider a whole leg. Just put a chicken leg in each cage along with their normal staple and fruits/veggies. I don't think it is part of the entire meal.

You can have most of the meat yourself or save it for an off night of treats for the gliders. Cooked chicken freezes very well.

Re: Pork Bones or Bones... Can gliders have bones? - 02/22/16 04:33 AM

Josefine, you asked:

What is used to break the leg bones up so they can get to the marrow?

My knives aren't sharp enough, & a hammer shatters it too much, or I'm hitting it too hard?

My response to you was Nothing is used. They get the marrow out.

Huly had mentioned about dogs splintering bones and them getting stuck in their throats and stuff so I was explaining to them that gliders do not eat bones. That part was not to you.

As KarenE stated above, it would be one bone per cage, not one bone per glider and you only want to do this once every three months or so. And please make sure to remove most of the meat off the bone before offering it to them.

Re: Pork Bones or Bones... Can gliders have bones? - 02/22/16 11:12 PM

They would get their normal supper,& a leg added to it.

So, they do not fight over the one bone for a cage w/2 to 4 gliders in them?

I have 6 cages in the glider room.

I would not think that a glider would actually swallow, or choke, on a bone fragment, since I know they are only looking for the marrow.

Thanks for the replies to this.

Re: Pork Bones or Bones... Can gliders have bones? - 02/23/16 02:25 AM

They would get their normal supper,& a leg added to it.

So, they do not fight over the one bone for a cage w/2 to 4 gliders in them?

I have 6 cages in the glider room.

I would not think that a glider would actually swallow, or choke, on a bone fragment, since I know they are only looking for the marrow.

Thanks for the replies to this.

Ellie and Stitch share theres just fine! I put the bone long ways and they both too their own end. They might finick over each other but they take turns too! Wouldnt worry too much. I watched them though when they ate.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL