GliderCENTRAL

Gliders and salt

Posted By: Xfilefan

Gliders and salt - 11/14/09 03:17 AM

[I have heard that gliders can't have salt] I beg to differ-my vet and I think that a salt free diet may be part of the reason for some neurological issues in gliders. ALL living things need at least some salt-the cells and nerve synapses cannot function properly without it. Although we don't offer a salt lick...canned green beans for example can be a beneficial addition to a diet here and there....or a bit of salt in their mashed potatoes. Cheese has salt (treat item). Thoughts?
Posted By: gr8pots

Re: Gliders and salt - 11/14/09 03:30 AM

I am also interested in this and will keep an eye on this thread. Prayers for Binx.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Gliders and salt - 11/14/09 04:05 AM

I have wondered about this as well. I am a biology major and know that salt is important in many biological processes. It is found in most bodily fluids (blood, tears, etc). It is important in digestion as it provides chlorine for hydrochloric acid. Also, you mentioned nuerological issues- is this because nerve impulses are regulated by sodium ions (the sodium-potassium pump).

The other thing that seems odd is that I have heard that a lot of domesticated animals should not have salt in their diet. However, if dehydrated, animals are given saline as a fluid replacement in intravenous (IV) infusion, which seems contradictory to me. Anyways, I am by no means a vet, but am curious to see how this develops.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Gliders and salt - 11/14/09 04:48 AM

When gliders are dehydrated, they are given sub-q injections of either D5W (basically sugar water) or Saline (salt water).

Many foods naturally have salt. I'm not sure that adding extra salt is good for them. I'm supposed to be on a salt restricted diet (I am really bad about it though) and the doc even suggested that I purchase foods lower in salt. I'm definately not supposed to ADD salt to my food.

So how do we figure out what is an appropriate amount of salt in a glider's diet?

The frozen vegies I feed my gliders do have added salt (walmart brand) and they have never had any known issues with the salt in those.
Posted By: WintersSong

Re: Gliders and salt - 11/14/09 05:11 AM

I'm wondering this, too.. I was told to stay away from canned veggies due to the salt content, but I've noticed that most frozen veggies have some salt as well.
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: Gliders and salt - 11/14/09 03:24 PM

And some frozen veggies don't have salt added. I don't think we give our guys enough of it, personally. Not that I think they need much...but do need some.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL