GliderCENTRAL

introducing a pair and a trio?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Posted By: Anonymous

introducing a pair and a trio?!?!?!?!?!?!? - 05/28/09 08:51 PM

We currently have three cages of gliders. Our boys, Taz, Sammy, and Aussie, occupy our reptarium. And then we have two cages of girls. Scout and Tilly, and Sydney, Addie, and Tori. We have had Sydney, Addie, and Tori together for about eight months. We then got Scout from a member on here, and my grandmother asked if we could take Tilly. Scout and Tilly have been together since March. We are planning on building a pvc cage this summer that fits along one wall of our glider room. We would love to be able to introduce all of our girls, so they can live in the huge cage. They are all similar age wise. Evereyone besides Tori and Scout are right over a year. Tori and Scout are both two. And all of the girls are around 80 grams, besides Tori who is slightly "fluffy".

What's the best way to start introductions?? We've done a fair amount of one on one glider introductions, but never a three on two. Is it best to accalmate them separately (like Introduce Tori to Scout and then later to Tilly) or is it best to do it all at once? Please any suggestions will be helpful!!

Also, we do understand it might just not work, and we are ready to keep them in seperate cages if that happens!
Posted By: SugareeErin

Re: introducing a pair and a trio?!?!?!?!?!?!? - 05/28/09 10:15 PM

I just introed a group of five, I had a trio, but they had been split from their male due to a surgery, so I did a 2+2+1 deal. I just did the standard cages side by side and then switched pouches. They did not all get along at first. I did one on one, when that worked added another one. I just kept trying in no particular order, everybody to anybody until they one by one they started to get along. If one was not cooperating I removed them and let the others be together. One of my females had to be housed alone a couple days before accepting the others, so be aware you may need to seperate the bonded pairs for them to accept each other. The first time the whole group all got along was actually the when I introed them using a tent instead of the bathtub, but I don't know if that had anything to with it. Just take it slow and be ready to break up a fight thumb Good luck, having a colony is fun, I love it! As long as the cage is big enough they shouldn't have too many problems.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: introducing a pair and a trio?!?!?!?!?!?!? - 05/28/09 10:30 PM

Thanks so much!! So far Sydney, Addie, and Tilly are all getting along. Now I just need to work Tilly and Tori in!! I have been switching pouches and such the last couple days, and their cages are next to each other.
Posted By: KattyM

Re: introducing a pair and a trio?!?!?!?!?!?!? - 05/29/09 08:11 PM

First, make sure all your boys are neutered by a glider-knowledgeable vet, if not yet done. wink

I recently introduced four to my three, and after the quarantine with separate cages and then swapping of pouches and then cages, I introduced one of the newbies at a time to my trio. Now all 7 hang out in my bra together. heart There will probably be a little fussing, which is normal. If you notice loud screeching and see them balling up, immediately separate them.

Here are a couple of sites that may help:

Introducing 2 Gliders
How do I go about introducing new sugar gliders?

Good luck!
Posted By: Wyldfyre63

Re: introducing a pair and a trio?!?!?!?!?!?!? - 05/29/09 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: KattyM
Now all 7 hang out in my bra together. heart

Pardon me for saying it but...that must be one BIG bra! lol. We should all be that lucky!

Janine
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL