GliderCENTRAL

Tent time -how to leave/end?

Posted By: Anonymous

Tent time -how to leave/end? - 10/13/10 09:02 PM

Just did my first tent time last night. I want to know when tent time is over how to get them back to the cage without stressing them out. I lucked out with one - he ran into his pouch and I took him to his cage. But the other refused to stand still. I don't want to ruin any progress I have made by chasing them around, but I had to corner the other one and cup him with the pouch to catch him.( I tried treats but he took them and ran.) It took about five mins with him running around - he didn't seem too stressed, he might have enjoyed being chased- but I would hate to have to chase them every night. Thanks.
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Tent time -how to leave/end? - 10/13/10 09:05 PM

Treats are still your best bet if they aren't completely bonded with you yet. Instead of handing him treats, put them at the edge or even IN the pouch. You may have to show him first...then kind of toss them in there. smile You're right, you don't want to chase him if you can help it, this will only back things up for you so try the treats...all different kinds. One other thought...put a treat on the palm of your hand so he can climb up to get it and you can then place him in the pouch. This will also help to show him that your hands are good and they produce yummy things! smile
Posted By: eterrell84

Re: Tent time -how to leave/end? - 10/13/10 09:09 PM

ill put treats in the pouch and then once they go in and i gently close it and run to the cage. LOL... now i dont have to do that, they just get on me and ill go in the cage and they jump off. and extra pouch may help also, incase they wont both go in at the same time
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Tent time -how to leave/end? - 10/13/10 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: eterrell84
i gently close it and run to the cage. LOL...

LMAO...ahhhhh, I do remember those days! roflmao
Posted By: Cora

Re: Tent time -how to leave/end? - 10/13/10 10:28 PM

yea, you di what I do with my wild children/new gliders. It will get better to where they will go back in the bag when you hold it up to them, it just takes time!!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Tent time -how to leave/end? - 10/13/10 11:02 PM

Mine pretty much know when I shake the mealie container that it is time to hit the sleeping pouch for the ride back to the cage. LOL Bribery... it works every time!
Posted By: chattrbabe

Re: Tent time -how to leave/end? - 10/13/10 11:24 PM

Mine know the treat shake and they jump on me if they hear the zipper. roflmao
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Tent time -how to leave/end? - 10/13/10 11:32 PM

None of mine will willingly give up tent time without a treat. I let them see and smell a mealie or small yoggie and lead them with it to the pouch, then throw the treat in. Many times, I've gotten ready to get out of the tent with gliders hanging onto me, only to have them jump right back in as I'm climbing through the zippered door! Not fun when your tent is 7' square!
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Tent time -how to leave/end? - 10/14/10 06:18 AM

I spend a great amount of time with mine in the glider room, and when it's time to go to the cage, they all hitch a ride on me. It's another story to get them in the cages though. shakehead
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Tent time -how to leave/end? - 10/14/10 09:23 AM

My girls are sooooo good.
I call them to me, they jump on me, when I leave the room they know its time to go back in the cage and they go to my hands and wait there as I walk to the cage.
when i get to it, I put my hands in, they jump off and turn towards me and just wait for their treat.

one night when I wasnt feeling good and fell asleep early, my hubby figured he'd take care of feeding the gliders for me.

he was amazed at how good my girls are. when he tries to feed his boys he says its a fight to keep them from leaving the cage (I always put the food in while they are still sleeping, as that solves THAT problem) so he thought he would have the same problem with my girls (ha foolish mortal) he says to me the next day "I unlocked the cage door and they are both sitting there, they PUSHED the door open but sat there and waited for the food!"

I will say that when I take them out to play they do the same thing, they jump to me to come out when I call them.

what angels
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL