GliderCENTRAL

Using a voice recording for bonding?

Posted By: B3N

Using a voice recording for bonding? - 08/13/10 07:58 PM

Has anyone tried this? I work during the day, so I thought maybe I could record my voice or even my face on my huge computer screen and have it face the cage to "speak" to the gliders so they can get used to my voice? Anyone's thoughts? I know that they bond well by voice, I thought this might be a good idea...
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Using a voice recording for bonding? - 08/13/10 08:11 PM

Never thought of it this way, cute idea though. We play soft instrumentals day and night, works magic for all of us.
Posted By: Kimberlyann

Re: Using a voice recording for bonding? - 08/13/10 08:24 PM

I thought about getting one of those build a bears for their cage. You can record a message on them. So I was thinking about doing this so when they climb on it or jump on it, it would make mommy talk to them! And I could sleep with it first for a while to get my scent on it!
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Using a voice recording for bonding? - 08/13/10 08:34 PM

I am sure you already thought about it, but for those who are new to the glider world, just remember to make sure whatever you put in the cage is glider safe. thumb We have night vision cameras installed and we were having a hard time even with those using batteries.

Re: Using a voice recording for bonding? - 08/13/10 09:54 PM

Yeah, it won't be inside the cage because the computer is next to it. To get an idea, the computer is a 27inch screen iMac. So my face will be probably bigger than life and I can turn it up to give them some of my voice in strong. What kinda things should I say? Maybe some "everything is gonna be okay" and some "you're so cutes?"
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Using a voice recording for bonding? - 08/13/10 11:44 PM

The only problem I can see with that is any distortion that might happen with the sound going through the speaker to the computer, then from the computer back out of the speakers. Does that make sense? It might end up not quite sounding like you would when you talk to them yourself.
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Using a voice recording for bonding? - 08/15/10 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Kimberlyann
I thought about getting one of those build a bears for their cage. You can record a message on them. So I was thinking about doing this so when they climb on it or jump on it, it would make mommy talk to them! And I could sleep with it first for a while to get my scent on it!

I'd be concerned about the bear as Suggies like to chew. My concern would be them injesting the fur or chewing through to the insides and getting the stuffing, or the electronics to make the bear talk.

Re: Using a voice recording for bonding? - 08/15/10 05:15 PM

oh ok, it was just a thought!

Re: Using a voice recording for bonding? - 08/15/10 05:16 PM

laugh And a good one...I like the idea - just wish it felt a little safer, you know?

Re: Using a voice recording for bonding? - 08/15/10 07:40 PM

oh well, back to the drawing board!
Posted By: victoriarose1982

Re: Using a voice recording for bonding? - 08/15/10 10:47 PM

instead of voice.. I found a very small teddy bear at Petco for dogs.. It had velco, but if you cut the velcro out and sew it shut it works wonders! Its lightly stuffed and small enough to shove down a bra for a few days then you gliders have another buddy to sleep with. smile Here is a picture of it with and with Loki! [img:left]] [img:left][/img] [img:right][/img]

Always remember to check for loose threads on everything daily!!! It only takes a few minutes.

Re: Using a voice recording for bonding? - 08/16/10 12:23 AM

OMG, I just got a dog and named him Loki...and I started this post. Talk about weird. Well, I attempted the recording...I don't think they have a clue what to make of it...BUT...I noticed less crabbing when I came in to say hello. They kinda looked at me and were calm...I hope maybe the recording worked!

Re: Using a voice recording for bonding? - 08/16/10 03:34 AM

As far as recording your voice it might not turn out the way you want it. Humans hear differently than gliders. I've heard that dogs hear static over the speakers and I bet gliders would hear something similar since they hearing is better than ours. I believe it is anyways.

I have not done research on this, but my husband is a computer engineer and we have talked about this a little. It would be an interesting study.

Re: Using a voice recording for bonding? - 08/16/10 03:47 AM

I'm a big fan of Victoria Rose's idea about the teddy bear in the bra. And I think scent is one of the best ways for a glider to become used to you. This sounds really, really gross...I know...but I will say that putting a soft flannel fabric in the bra, sleeping with it, heck...wearing EVERYWHERE for several days, will make is smell like you. To me..that's the best first step. I keep my voice soft and kind.

Someone asked what to say to the gliders? LOL! I say anything...just talk sweet to them. This sounds really silly, but for some reason, I started greeting them each evening by saying "Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum!" Partially because I am bringing food, but also because they are so sweet and "yummy" themselves. Anyway, it's just a silly thing that caught on with us. LOL!

Re: Using a voice recording for bonding? - 08/16/10 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Miniwidgie

Someone asked what to say to the gliders? LOL! I say anything...just talk sweet to them. This sounds really silly, but for some reason, I started greeting them each evening by saying "Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum!" Partially because I am bringing food, but also because they are so sweet and "yummy" themselves. Anyway, it's just a silly thing that caught on with us. LOL!

Just want you to know that I TOTALLY get this...I talk to my monkeys every chance I get...even when they're sound asleep. We may say crazy things, but if they work for us, then it's a great thing! thumb

Re: Using a voice recording for bonding? - 08/16/10 04:01 AM

Oh, one thing that I do with my gliders is I read a book to them. Usually just something that I am ready or I will tell them about my day. There is a lot you can talk about!

Re: Using a voice recording for bonding? - 08/16/10 04:10 AM

Thanks for saying so, lol!

Re: Using a voice recording for bonding? - 08/16/10 04:11 AM

That's a good idea, too.

Re: Using a voice recording for bonding? - 08/16/10 11:22 AM

It seems that a bra seems to be the best way to get a scent on something. Shame I'm a man...maybe on our back or something? Any guys know a good place to store something to make it smell like you?

Re: Using a voice recording for bonding? - 08/16/10 11:31 AM

The waistband of your pants is a great place!

Re: Using a voice recording for bonding? - 08/17/10 09:51 AM

Rachel,
I LOVE that little teddy bear. I want to get Kokanee one now because he's alone for the time being.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL