GliderCENTRAL

Honest opinion -*- Licky treat & Thimble … ??

Posted By: Xglider

Honest opinion -*- Licky treat & Thimble … ?? - 12/06/06 11:49 PM

Honest opinion Licky treat & Thimble … ??

OK… so I have to ask… what are others feeling on this issue…. When offering licky treats to use a thimble… so that when they do ‘bite / strike’ … they learn that it does not do any good…

The reason I ask is that when I got the twins… Surge was a lunger and a biter … every time… and I did use this method… along with a lot of other bonding techniques… and he did turn 180 degrees and became a lover… I have thought about offing this as a suggestion in ‘special’ cases… but wanted to get the wisdom of the board and their opinions on this idea…

PLEASE keep this within board rules… I know I have opened myself up here, and if it is not within board rules but you feel you need to express yourself please PM me directly… I am a big boy and can take it … as always… thanks for the input…

Posted By: glidrz5

Re: Honest opinion -*- Licky treat & Thimble … ?? - 12/07/06 02:07 AM

I tried this one time with my Carina, since she would cobra strike & bite me when I offered her licky treats. After that first time, she was very offended & would not even take the licky treats off the thimble. She would just glare at it when I offered them to her. However it was either then or a short time after that that she totally stopped biting....so maybe it did influence her.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Honest opinion -*- Licky treat & Thimble … ?? - 12/07/06 02:37 AM

Wow, Thats a great idea. I see nothing wrong with it really because they chew on anything anyways. The only concern I would have is them biting down onto the thimble too hard and hurting their teeth.

Re: Honest opinion -*- Licky treat & Thimble … ?? - 12/07/06 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Jtmoney
The only concern I would have is them biting down onto the thimble too hard and hurting their teeth.

Exactly… and that is why I am looking for view points on this… Thanks wave
Posted By: queenduck

Re: Honest opinion -*- Licky treat & Thimble … ?? - 12/07/06 03:11 AM

John, this has been my advice for years, and I totally belive in it, or I wouldn't suggest it. But, your missing one point.

You do not use a metal thimble, you use a plastic quilters thimble. It only has a band that goes around your finger, like down by the base of your nail, and then it has a part that goes up towards your tip and is curved. So the nail is exposed, it's a hard plastic, but does not hurt their teeth, and.. they can still smell your finger. After they stop biting, lunging, then you stop using the thimble.

At least, that's how I do it with a bad biter. And it has always worked for me smile

Good post.
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: Honest opinion -*- Licky treat & Thimble … ?? - 12/07/06 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: queenduck
You do not use a metal thimble, you use a plastic quilters thimble. It only has a band that goes around your finger, like down by the base of your nail, and then it has a part that goes up towards your tip and is curved. So the nail is exposed, it's a hard plastic, but does not hurt their teeth, and.. they can still smell your finger. After they stop biting, lunging, then you stop using the thimble.

Here's a pic of one for those who aren't familiar with them wink

Re: Honest opinion -*- Licky treat & Thimble … ?? - 12/07/06 03:36 AM

Becki… you are the link queen… ****** I bow down to thee ********* lol.. thanks that is a great help.. and just to clarify… I only used it for a short time.. but it did seem to make a difference… I may just have to pick one of those up… just for reference sake…

Posted By: BeckiT

Re: Honest opinion -*- Licky treat & Thimble … ?? - 12/07/06 03:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Xglider
Becki… you are the link queen… ****** I bow down to thee ********* lol..

John, it's funny you say that, other people call me that too wink
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Honest opinion -*- Licky treat & Thimble … ?? - 12/07/06 04:02 AM

There are thimbles that are regular thimbles but made of plastic. If you can't find a quilter's thimble, just don't use a metal one as it could cause damage to their teeth if they bite to hard.

Re: Honest opinion -*- Licky treat & Thimble … ?? - 12/07/06 04:11 AM

hmmm..learned something.
Posted By: queenduck

Re: Honest opinion -*- Licky treat & Thimble … ?? - 12/07/06 04:25 AM

I got mine at WalMart, they are only a few $$ smile

Re: Honest opinion -*- Licky treat & Thimble … ?? - 12/07/06 04:27 AM

While a metal thimble could damage teeth, it seems like with a plastic thimble, I would not be concerned about your suggie getting injured. I think this is a really good option for gliders who are lungers/biters and this is a big obstacle to their bonding. I would fully agree with using this strategy for a glider with this behavior. I think it is completely humane and it sounds like an effective way to change their behavior.

Re: Honest opinion -*- Licky treat & Thimble … ?? - 12/07/06 04:34 AM

There is also thimbles made of rubber... not sure if anyone has ever used those.

Re: Honest opinion -*- Licky treat & Thimble … ?? - 12/07/06 04:35 AM

Ok plastic it is. I will look into getting one of those if I ever get a biter wink Right now my two girls are awesome and have never biten me to hurt me just play but I guess its just luck sometimes.
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Honest opinion -*- Licky treat & Thimble … ?? - 12/07/06 04:45 AM

Wow! I had thought of using a thimble a couple years back with a lunger but was scared to. I had no idea they came in something besides metal. (that's all I had in my grandmas stuff and I've never used them for sewing)

I have a semi newbi baby boy that takes a sudden notion to bite randomly while giving treats. I gotta go get one of those!

Thanks!!!!!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL