GliderCENTRAL

outside?

Posted By: Anonymous

outside? - 03/05/07 04:33 AM

when do know for sure if you can take your gliders outside? i reely want to but i am not sure if they would stay in my yard or go out to the horses behing my house. tounge
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: outside? - 03/05/07 04:53 AM

they shouldn't be loose outside at all, there are too many dangers. They can go out in a secure pouch, one with a window is great if you're trying to let them enjoy the view thumb

Re: outside? - 03/05/07 05:08 AM

what about those leashes i have heard that lots of peaple use them but i dont know where to get them or of they are safe. idea

Re: outside? - 03/05/07 05:14 AM

your suggie will be healthier if you keep them inside.

Re: outside? - 03/05/07 05:15 AM

those leashes are VERY unsafe from what i have heard.. their flaps that they use for gliding is VERY sensitve skin, and the harness rubs and pulls on that part of the glider's body. PLUS direct sunlight is very bad for glider. I would never let my guy outside without being in a pouch that is closable. Something will spook the little guy (cause you know how skiddish they can be) and thats it, he will be GONE. they're too fast to catch and even if your glider is totally bonded, being spooked and the fight or flight instinct will take over and they will run!

Re: outside? - 03/05/07 05:26 AM

ok i guess i will just buy lots of house plants to let them play in! thanks

Re: outside? - 03/05/07 05:32 AM

make sure theyre SAFE plants and not toxic! I use a big piece of CORK wood that they sell for birds and reptiles as a supervised play thing. They can chew it and choke if left alone with it.. but heres a good link for toxic plants safe and toxic plants

you can also go to walmart and get some fake plants. Just make sure to rise them off and if any color runns of, rinse untill the runoff is clear.
Posted By: TracieB

Re: outside? - 03/05/07 04:32 PM

If using fake plants for unsupervised play, be sure they don't have wire in them.

Re: outside? - 03/05/07 06:23 PM

ok thanks

Re: outside? - 03/05/07 11:41 PM

I have a big fake fig tree in the glider room that doubles as a playset when they're out. It's actually really important not to have any wire though, as Tracie mentioned. A couple of my gliders actually like to chew leaves off and carry them back to their cages to use as bedding in their bags. I'd hate to think of one of them getting stabbed or cut by a wire exposed from chewing!
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: outside? - 03/06/07 03:12 PM

I do take my gliders outside, but I have a unique yard in that there are no big trees in it, nor nearby, so I don't have to worry about them running up a tree and not being able to reach them... However, my gliders are VERY bonded to me and even when I place them on one of the small trees we do have, they try to get back to me as quickly as they can. The only way it is safe to take your gliders outside is if your bond with them is VERY strong! Otherwise, you risk the glider running away cry

Here's a few pictures I've taken of some of my gliders outside in my small trees...

Attached picture 6514-Coobah'sFarReachrdc.JPG
Attached picture 6515-Readyornot...HereIcome!rdcd.JPG
Attached picture 6516-Carina&CoobahinCrabappleTree002rdc.JPG
Attached picture 6517-GizmoandAllirainRoseofSharon003.jpg
Posted By: FURBYnGIZMO

Re: outside? - 03/06/07 04:00 PM

off_topic Suz...I still gasp at how amazing those pictures are cloud9

Re: outside? - 03/06/07 04:10 PM

I think I'd be to afraid to let them out in my yard.
But yet they are still babies and are not really bonded to me.

But they are the sweetest.. and those are some amazing photos.

Re: outside? - 03/06/07 04:14 PM

Ditto what Jenny said! I would say if your bond is strong enough you won't have to ask if you can take them outside. The thought of doing that with either of mine scares me to death lol! How do you get so bonded with your suggies, Suz?
Posted By: SandysMommy

Re: outside? - 03/06/07 04:14 PM

The pic of Coobah is abosulutely stunning...
Posted By: Holly1221

Re: outside? - 03/06/07 06:08 PM

the only outside time my gliders had was in my enclosed front porch w/ me as a chaperone. and only Tryntyi and Saige were bonded enough to do that. altho i did show my uncle 1 day, and Trynyti promptly climbed up the umbrella since we were at his picnic table. he just sat in the thing. he snatched a bug out of the air and ate it. it was funny. no 1 could believe he did it.
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: outside? - 03/06/07 07:01 PM

Quote:
How do you get so bonded with your suggies, Suz?
I spend a LOT of time with my gliders carrying them around in the daytime when they are sleepy. I take naps with them, too (always make sure the doors are closed, the cats are OUT of the room, the toilet lid is closed, and I use a special pouch that I made that allows my hand inside the pouch with them but doesn't allow them out of the pouch). I also spend play time at night with them when they are wide awake, interacting with them and giving them treats. The biggest thing is to spend lots of time with them and take it at THEIR pace!
For example, in December I got Nara from Sil to be a companion for my Pika. When Sil had her, she was a bra baby; when she got to me, she was very scared and stressed out from her flight here. I have been allowing her to set the pace with me and she was very pouch protective at first. It has now been three months and she is finally starting to approach me and tries to groom my fingers. I am just now starting to be able to pet her. Only in the past couple of weeks have I started to have bonding-pouch time with her. I waited until she indicated that she was ready for it by not crabbing every time I went near her nesting pouch. Most people don't want to wait 2-3 months to start really interacting with their gliders, but I have found that it really is the best way to go. The glider gradually learns to trust me and once they do, we have a very tight bond. heart Instead of being frustrated because I can't hold Nara yet, I am looking at each tiny step as a major breakthrough in her trust of me. Just a couple weeks ago, when she came up to me and grabbed my finger to start licking it for the first time, I was THRILLED! I talk to her every time I go past her cage, always in a soothing, but playful voice. I use her name a LOT! I let her watch me interact with Pika and see that Pika is always safe with me. These seem like little things, but they all add up to a great bond once it happens thumb

Re: outside? - 03/07/07 07:17 PM

what is a bra baby
Posted By: dranger1108

Re: outside? - 03/07/07 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Katana
what is a bra baby

A bra baby is a glider that likes to sleep or hang out near on your bra... sometimes they'll squeeze in between the twins and have a cozy place to sleep during the day...
if your glider is really bonded to you and you trust that it doesn't run off ... people do their daily chores, work, errands with a cute little fuzzy hidden from the world, during their normal day sleeping times... cloud9

Re: outside? - 03/07/07 09:58 PM

suz, can you show apic or something of that puch you have that allows you to reach in and them to stay out. i reely want to be bonded w/ mine but it seems they never wan to be w/ me. cry

Re: outside? - 03/07/07 11:55 PM

suz, can you show apic or something of that puch you have that allows you to reach in and them to stay out. i reely want to be bonded w/ mine but it seems they never wan to be w/ me. cry

Definately, I do to!
Posted By: Xglider

Re: outside? - 03/07/07 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: sugargliderfan

Definately, I do to!

I have met Suz.. and I think that is just part of her Glider magic … she has IT .. for sure! clap
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL