GliderCENTRAL

Male gliders fighting and hissing loudly

Posted By: Anonymous

Male gliders fighting and hissing loudly - 10/06/08 03:49 PM

My two boys have been "fighting" (or at least that's what it looks like) all night, and making horribly loud noises. When I got up to see them, one was on top of the other doing some weird movement on his back :/
Is this something I should be worried about, or is one asserting dominance simply?

They are not neutered.

thanks much

Re: Male gliders fighting and hissing loudly - 10/06/08 03:52 PM

Yes, the one that was on top was asserting dominance over the other, it is well past time to neuter. Unlike dogs, this will not "work itself out" - with gliders, they could very well kill eachother fighting for dominance. They should be separated immediatly to avoid serious injury and be neutered ASAP.

Be very cautious when you put them back together post neuter. It will take some time for the testosterone to be completely removed from their bodies, so you may have to wait a bit before you can successfully reintroduce them.

It is even possible that you may not be able to reintroduce them & female mate may need to be brought into the picture.

Re: Male gliders fighting and hissing loudly - 10/06/08 05:18 PM

Oh my... Ok, I started checking the costs for neutering. $350 an animal - is this normal frown ?

Re: Male gliders fighting and hissing loudly - 10/06/08 05:21 PM

That sounds about right for laser surgery - cold blade will actually be much cheaper & is perfectly fine for a neuter thumb

reeny is in Miami - let me shoot her a PM, she might know a vet that does it cheaper...

Re: Male gliders fighting and hissing loudly - 10/06/08 05:31 PM

Can't thank you enough!
Posted By: reeny

Re: Male gliders fighting and hissing loudly - 10/06/08 05:33 PM

I go to Avian and Exotic Vets on US 1. He charges $200 per neuter. I am in the same dilema need to find a glider knowledgable vet that neuters. Was going to Dr. Goldsmith but switched vets on recommendation of Dr. Tristan. You can call Dr. Goldsmith I am sure he is cheaper. Dr. Harris at Avian and Exotic's is very good, just not inexpensive.

Re: Male gliders fighting and hissing loudly - 10/06/08 06:21 PM

i had the same thing happen with my 2 boys, but my neutered boy is trying to dominate my unneutered boy. i would have thought it would have been the other way around. i separated them for now, waiting to get astro neutered.

Re: Male gliders fighting and hissing loudly - 10/06/08 06:48 PM

many thanks, all! If I separate the boys in two cages, is it a good idea to let the two cages touch, or can they still cause each other harm through the bars?

sorry, I have had them for a month only and I don't know much :/

Re: Male gliders fighting and hissing loudly - 10/06/08 06:56 PM

They can still cause injury through the bars. It is recommended that you have at least a 2 inch separation between cages.

Queenduck had one of her glider's tails ripped off through cage bars - that is how much damage can be done!

You can let them have supervised tent time as long as you are very watchful of them and are willing to get your hands in there to separate them if there is a fight. If you think they are going to fight more than play, its probably not a good idea...
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL