GliderCENTRAL

Danger of Wax Worms

Posted By: chattrbabe

Danger of Wax Worms - 09/30/11 03:41 AM

Not sure how many people know what the above photo is. These are called wax worms.

I will not be feeding them to my gliders, any-longer. I usually feed them to Boomer, for his teeth. He has only a few teeth left, and they are soft enough that he can nom them with no issues, and they won’t cut his gums like regular worms.

Well, I had all three boys out – sitting at my desk and I was feeding each boy their worms. Doodle and Ranger were getting giants and Boomer, the waxies.

Well, I went to put the pouch up, but Ranger wanted just one more worm. (please mom????) I had Ranger his worm, Doodle a worm, and offer one more to Boomer. Boomer was hunched over and making a weird hissing noise. He flings back a little and faces me, showing me a VERY purple nose.

Grab him out, and try to figure out what the deal is, while heading out the door to the vet. All of a sudden, he opens his mouth, and at the back and side of his cheek, is the end of a wax worm. I had to get him to open his mouth, which, at that point, was easy… I pulled it out and BOOM, Boomer was fine.

Now, I have heard of this happening before, and the person uses tweezers now, when she feeds wax worms to her gliders.

I personally, will not be feeding them at all, anymore. What if I decided to put the worms in foraging cups, and wasn’t here? What if I had put the pouch back, and walked out of the room? What if I put the pouch back, assumed Boomer was looking for more worms at the bottom of the pouch, and turned music on?

Boomer is fine, chirping and sleeping and grooming away, in the pouch. I wanted to post this warning, as many people like to give their gliders new treats. Boomer, on the other hand, will be getting hand squeezed mealies... blech!!! roflmao

shakehead

Now, time for a drink, for me! LoL!!!
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Danger of Wax Worms - 09/30/11 04:03 AM

Oh my gosh, Ash!!!! How scary!!!!! I haven't fed them and jeez, after hearing this, can't say I'll be racing to get any anytime soon! You know, it seems to be that I heard a story like this one other time. Can't remember who it was, but it's eerily similar. Ugh...so sorry you had such a scare!!!! hug2
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: Danger of Wax Worms - 09/30/11 04:14 AM

Blessings to your "glider guardian angel" who lives in your house! hug2 She told you NOT to put them away yet....so you could see Boomer's distress and DO SOMETHING QUICKLY to help! jump

And blessings on Ranger for being a "mealie hog"! grin

How about the freshly-shed white mealies? Or aliens? I've had a young man who had blood blisters all over the top of his mouth (from what? dunno, never figured it out) and those were what I fed HIM while he was healing....
Posted By: BindiAndScrubbie

Re: Danger of Wax Worms - 09/30/11 04:32 AM

Wow! That's pretty scary. I've fed waxworms too. So did he have the entire worm stuck in there whole?

Re: Danger of Wax Worms - 09/30/11 05:13 AM

For the most part, yes. I thought at first, that maybe it was just a small part stuck, and once I started pulling it out, it took a second or two to stop coming! After emptied out, the 'casing' was about the length of a small mealie.

Re: Danger of Wax Worms - 09/30/11 07:41 AM

Okay, in the photo below, is the waxie that got stuck in his throat. I went to toss something in the trash, and it was still stuck to the side of the bag. LoL. Now, when i pulled it out of his mouth / throat, it was much thinner.

shakehead

Description: waxie that was stuck in Boomer's throat
Attached picture IMAG0910.jpg
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Danger of Wax Worms - 09/30/11 08:13 AM

I wonder if roasted wax worms would be safer? I used to feed them and stopped just because they seemed to like the roasted mealworms better and I didnt like the smell of the roasted waxworms. The outside of the roasted ones was almost crumbly in consistency.

I am glad your Boomer is fine!
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Danger of Wax Worms - 09/30/11 10:32 AM

So glad he is okay!! I stopped feeding them because this happened to one of my gliders about 2 years ago. Also, Pappy (Mary) almost lost a glider that got choked on a wax worm and had to rescuscitate her after getting it out with tweezers (plastic)! The skins are so elastic on those bugs and can cut off the airway FAST! frown
Posted By: silverwolf

Re: Danger of Wax Worms - 09/30/11 01:43 PM

I also almost lost a glider to wax worms and had to do the same thing with digging it out I will never feed them again because of this I personally just dont think they are safe at all
Posted By: Meg_n_Von

Re: Danger of Wax Worms - 09/30/11 07:45 PM

Wow, that's scary! SO glad you checked on him and was able to relieve him. Ugh, that would scare me to death! I definitely wont be buying any wax worms anytime soon...

Re: Danger of Wax Worms - 09/30/11 07:46 PM

so does anyone think the roasted wax worms would be better?
Posted By: silverwolf

Re: Danger of Wax Worms - 09/30/11 07:52 PM

I dont know about roasted wax worms my gliders wont eat anything dead so roasted anything is out for me
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Danger of Wax Worms - 09/30/11 08:08 PM

Roasted wax worms are hard and crunchy, so no, I don't think they would have the same problem with them. I usually try to let the wax worms turn into moths before feeding - moths are a great enrichment for them and they are healthier and less risky. thumb

Re: Danger of Wax Worms - 09/30/11 08:10 PM

I would love to do that. But where to buy healthy wax worms? then feed and care for them...oh dear knowing me I would name them and then they would become pets. Nope. Cant you just send me some moths Gretchen?
Posted By: Feather

Re: Danger of Wax Worms - 09/30/11 08:26 PM

I am glad your little guy is fine and that the glider angels were watching over both of you today.

I will continue to feed wax worms but I have always fed them the following way:

I HANG ONTO THE WORM WHILE THEY EAT IT! Allowing them to only take a bit at a time.

Our beloved Pat, OzziTap, would feed them to his guys and he was always afraid that they would choke on them because they inhaled them so fast that he cut them into little pieces.

That is another option if you want to continue feeding wax worms.

I like feeding them to my little Jadzia when she is pregnant and nursing.

As with feeding any treat that your gliders love use caution. I have one that will stick the whole yoggie in his mouth. I know hold the yoggie while he eats them, I don't want to fish a yoggie out of his throat.
Posted By: Meg_n_Von

Re: Danger of Wax Worms - 10/01/11 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: silverwolf
I dont know about roasted wax worms my gliders wont eat anything dead so roasted anything is out for me

My gliders are the same way. tounge
Posted By: heidi

Re: Danger of Wax Worms - 10/01/11 03:48 AM

im so glad boomer is fine

we live on roasted worms here,noone eats caned anything.mine cry when moths are in the tent to play with,they hide and make the mama sound,but will chase crickets for hours. how funny are my kids???oh yhea i havent fed wax worms in over two years
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Danger of Wax Worms - 10/01/11 06:51 AM

Originally Posted By: silverwolf

I thought the exact same thing until Jill Marie sent me a sample of roasted mealworms with my order and to my suprise they love them!!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL