GliderCENTRAL

trying to understand the genetics & lingo of color

Posted By: Anonymous

trying to understand the genetics & lingo of color - 05/05/08 04:56 AM

Hello everyone,
I am confused and am hoping that someone here can explain a few things to me. I have had gliders for two years and have had the opportunity to have several joeys. My newest little girl is 9 months old and is a second generation white faced blond. She is mated with a standard grey, who is also 9 months old. They have been togther since they were about 10 week oop. I discovered a tiny joey in her pouch this past weekend. I have a few questions about our newest tiny family member.

1. Is the white faced gene dominate or recessive?
2. Will she have 50% of her babies turn out to be whb given that she is mated with a standard grey?
3. Will all of her babies carry the wfb gene?
4. What exactly does het mean?
5. How do I descibe her joeys?
a. those who are wfb?
b. those who are grey?
6. How soon out of the pouch before you can tell the color of the glider?

I know this is a lot of questions, but this is new and confusing for me. Thank you to everyone.

Beth, Mom to Dale, Lilly, Pebbles, BammBamm, Miracle & Destiny
Posted By: Dancing

Re: trying to understand the genetics & lingo of color - 05/05/08 05:12 AM

Only one parent needs to be wf to have wf joeys.

There is NO such thing as WF Het so her joeys will only carry the gene if the gene is expressed. Meaning, if the joeys are greys, then they will not carry the gene. If they are white faced, then obviously they do carry the gene.

If her joeys are wf, then they would be considered 1st generation because they have one grey parent and one wf parent.

I can tell the day my joeys detatch if they are wf or not.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: trying to understand the genetics & lingo of c - 05/05/08 05:14 AM

I'd like to know as well
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: trying to understand the genetics & lingo of c - 05/05/08 02:08 PM

There is no way to know the % of wf joeys they will have. Some wf throw more than 50% and some throw less, it will just be a wait and see each time.

Het means that they carry a specific gene without expressing (or exhibiting) the color/markings associated with it. But as Dancing said, there is no such thing as a WF het, so all of your greys will be greys.
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: trying to understand the genetics & lingo of c - 05/05/08 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: beth
1. Is the white faced gene dominate or recessive?
WF is dominant - you only need one wf parent to achieve the color
Quote:
2. Will she have 50% of her babies turn out to be whb given that she is mated with a standard grey?
for all practical purposes, yes, but, there are some gliders who will have more gray or more wf depending on how strong their individual wf gene is..
Quote:
3. Will all of her babies carry the wfb gene?
no, if they themselves are not wf, they won't carry the wf gene - there is no such thing as a wf het
Quote:
4. What exactly does het mean?
het is heterozygous, meaning they carry a particular gene.
Quote:
5. How do I descibe her joeys?
a. those who are wfb?
b. those who are grey?
a. would be 1st gen wf b. would be gray
Quote:
6. How soon out of the pouch before you can tell the color of the glider?
depends on how familiar you are with the coloring, and how well developed your joey's coloring is when they come oop. some joeys will develop the ear bar up to a week after coming oop.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL