GliderCENTRAL

Need Help with Pouch Chewers?

Posted By: cryingoutloud37

Need Help with Pouch Chewers? - 05/15/11 05:14 AM

Pouch chewers are running my GLIDERITIS! shakehead I need help... what do I do? I have tried all different pouches THEY WRECK EVERYTHING! tant I can put a brand new pouch in... the next day a big hole chew thru both layers????? Need suggestions? Do I go with nest boxes? These are all breeders I worry about the safety of the joeys? Plus it is no fun spoiling them when they ruin them in 24hrs. shakehead
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Need Help with Pouch Chewers? - 05/15/11 08:20 AM

Welcome to this crummy club. shakehead
A friend of mine made me a denim pouch that I'm going to try out, but if it doesn't work out, I'm going with a nestbox because, you're right, spoiling them is NOOOO fun when they jut ruin everything right away.
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Need Help with Pouch Chewers? - 05/15/11 09:06 AM

I know that lots of owners use a denim pouch for chewers. thumb Just a suggestion, if you look into nest boxes, use the plastic nest boxes rather than the wooden ones, they do not hold the smell like the wooden nest boxes.

Another thing to try is loads and loads of fleece blankies/pieces in the pouch, sometimes this helps. thumb
Posted By: Chris_R

Re: Need Help with Pouch Chewers? - 05/15/11 11:42 AM

I have a massive chewer, in fact, he lost part of a hind leg to getting caught up in the thread of a pouch he has chewed through (brand new pouch, did it overnight)...Jen Kloepher <sp?> made me a non-sewn sleeping bin out of a gallon ice cream container that he LOVES, and is safe in... She has a website, let me go see if I can find a link to it

http://www.thegliderboutique.com/

She does awesome stuff, just send her a message and tell her your problem
Posted By: AnimalLuv21

Re: Need Help with Pouch Chewers? - 05/15/11 12:41 PM

Oh yes, I have one of these lil chewers. I've tried every type of pouch, I haven't tried a denim pouch, but that just may work! I have used nest boxes, they also work. Plastic is better as said in one of the previous pouches. But unfortunetly there isn't much else you can do. Good luck!!!!
Posted By: Guerita135

Re: Need Help with Pouch Chewers? - 05/15/11 01:16 PM

If you use a plastic nestbox, make sure you remove the lid or just make your own. I have some of the plastic nestboxes that are sold online for birds and they have lids on top that swing open. I used to put them in all the cages along with a pouch. The gliders like playing in them. However, I recently had one of my gliders get her tail pinched and partially de-gloved(1/2") when she decided to climb out the back of the box rather then the front. She climbed out and then went around the front and when she did that her tail got caught. frown

Had I not been there to get her unstuck right when it happened then she probably would have broken her tail or de-gloved the entire thing!

Re: Need Help with Pouch Chewers? - 05/15/11 01:18 PM

This is the type of nestbox I'm talking about:

Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Need Help with Pouch Chewers? - 05/15/11 01:19 PM

How terrible Nicole. I'm sorry to hear this has happened. frown

Thank you for sharing, never thought this could happen.
Posted By: Trigger

Re: Need Help with Pouch Chewers? - 05/15/11 01:30 PM

So far I have had luck giving my chewers multitudes of mini blankets in the pouch for them to burrow and nest down in.

If I forget K&K's blankets goodbye pouch.
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Need Help with Pouch Chewers? - 05/15/11 02:25 PM

You can talk with Teresa (Dancing). She makes denim pouches, as well. thumb
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Need Help with Pouch Chewers? - 05/15/11 03:31 PM

I do make denim pouches. They have fleece on the outside so they look pretty and coordinate with the rest of the cage stuff but have the nice extra thick denim on the inside. And lots of little fleece blankets for them to snuggle and "nest" in. I've never had even my worst digger/chewers go through this denim. Before I tried the denim, Reep and Azalea would go through a pouch a night!
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Need Help with Pouch Chewers? - 05/15/11 03:33 PM

I know another member here, one I've done glider sitting for, has denim pouches for his little ones. Rocky was a power chewer in his fleece pouches but as soon as the denim went in, that was the end of that! Great, great idea!

Re: Need Help with Pouch Chewers? - 05/15/11 05:09 PM

All these replies....THANK YOU GUYS...for all the help! thanks The weird thing is that they chew them but never get in between layers the just chew through both layers an leave a big hole. It's weird! Perhaps I will try a couple suggestions like get denim pouches for one cage and plastic nest box for the other cage and see which I like better. BECAUSE I BLESSED TO HAVE MORE THAN ONE CAGE THAT DOES THIS roflmao I do have one more question about the Denim pouches do they have fleece inside? Also I am worried because I don't have air condition is nest boxes or denim better for when it get really hot?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Need Help with Pouch Chewers? - 05/15/11 05:39 PM

I don't have air conditioning either, and summers are just ICK here for a couple weeks. TOTALLY miserable.
I can't answer your question about the denim pouch because I'm not certain (yet; I get mine Tuesday- hopefully), and I'm sure your question will be answered much sooner than that. tounge

Maybe it varies depending on the person making it? Or maybe you can specify how you want it..? dunno

If it makes you feel any better, I have three cages of gliders. Two of the girls in the trio are chewers and diggers and one of the girls in my duo is a chewer and digger.

Lil brats.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Need Help with Pouch Chewers? - 05/15/11 05:41 PM

When I make/use denim, I put denim on the inside and fleece on the outside. I make them extra large so there is more chance for airflow inside. Then I put in a bunch of 2x2 fleece blankets for them to burrow into.

If you are concerned about it getting to hot, perhaps a denim CUBE with a very large hole? I'm sending you a pm...

Re: Need Help with Pouch Chewers? - 05/15/11 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: cryingoutloud37
Also I am worried because I don't have air condition is nest boxes or denim better for when it get really hot?

You could make them some cubes with plastic mesh. They probably won't try and chew through something that's already covered in holes. tounge Also, it'll have great ventilation! grin Just put tons of little fleece blankies in it for them to burrow in.

I believe that Ashliegh sells some if you'd rather buy one instead of making it: http://suggiesrus.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2307706

Re: Need Help with Pouch Chewers? - 05/15/11 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Guerita135

You could make them some cubes with plastic mesh. They probably won't try and chew through something that's already covered in holes. tounge Also, it'll have great ventilation! grin Just put tons of little fleece blankies in it for them to burrow in.

God knows I have tons of little fleece blankets made out the best pouches money can buy thanks to my gliders roflmao REALL THO IS ISN'T FUNNY!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL