GliderCENTRAL

Through the eyes of a glider

Posted By: Anonymous

Through the eyes of a glider - 04/26/07 11:59 AM

So I've often admired those trademark eyes of my little guys, and have wondered exactly how they see the world. Is sight one of their primary faculties? They are nocturnal obviously, but just what is the quality of their vision? For instance, the sharpness of their sight, their field-of-vision, whether they are color blind (cone-based or rod-based), how the daylight affects them (I notice they grow deathly still whenever exposed), and so on. It would be interesting to see a mockup image of how they view things.

I have to say that I am constantly amazed at how multi-faceted these guys are. There are so many aspects about them that have me curious to learn.
Posted By: dranger1108

Re: Through the eyes of a glider - 04/26/07 01:10 PM

I would think their vision would be very good.... to see in the dark and hunt by moonlight alone...

Re: Through the eyes of a glider - 04/26/07 01:25 PM

Most nocturnal animals are unable to distinguish color very well since their eyes have more rods than cones. Rods are able to provide a much higher amount of contrast and function better in low light situations.

That Said(tm) I am not a biologist and have never dissected a glider's eye to know for sure. I'm just saying, as a rule, nocturnal creatures tend to be this way.

Re: Through the eyes of a glider - 04/26/07 02:12 PM

I know that they did a study on marsupials in Australia, and showed that somew DO see color, however, this test was not ran specifically on Suggies--- so I'm not sure how relevant that would be, but enough to make you wonder, I just happen to run across that while I was googling. I'll see if I can find that article again, but I can never find things when I need them!!!LOL
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: Through the eyes of a glider - 04/29/07 11:07 AM

I remember that one (don't ask me to find it now tho, lol), and it said that gliders had many more rods (or cones, or whichever sees the colors) than previously thought and likely saw quite a bit of color (how much wasn't determined, or in what shades/intensity). I do know some of mine seem to like bright colors, when faced with two similar things, others don't seem to care as much-it's the item no matter the color. The more light sensitive of mine (not wanting to come out in brighter lights) seem to go for the brighter colors more, but of a small selection that could be nothing more than coincidence.

Re: Through the eyes of a glider - 04/29/07 01:23 PM

Wow, this is all very interesting! I have always wondered about this. Thanks for asking this question!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL