GliderCENTRAL

OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!!

Posted By: Lynsie

OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/03/07 09:45 PM

I was just taking pics of my sweet little joey Sonja and realized that something just wasn't right with her little hands. Upon further inspection, it looks like she has 2 fused thumbs on each hand with 2 nails. Well, just look for yourself: http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c163/LuckyYouGliders/Allaira%20and%20Bear/Joeys/1%20Sonja%2072207/Sonjas%20thumbs/

She is not inbred in any way. Her father is from Ziggy & Cleo, and her mother is out of Sandman & Sprite, and they are on the HPW diet. I just don't know what to think of this. She uses her hands normally and does not have any trouble gripping. This is just weird!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/03/07 09:48 PM

Very strange, but equally adorable! Very special! You're keeping her right? smile

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/03/07 09:49 PM

Oh how crazy!
Posted By: princessmegi

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/03/07 09:50 PM

That is the weirdest thing. I've never seen anything like that. What a cutie though. smile
Posted By: Xglider

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/03/07 09:50 PM

Very interesting … like the Hemmingway cats with the extra digits ….

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/03/07 09:51 PM

Very cute & Unique little girl

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/03/07 09:52 PM

Actually she is available.

And if one person tells me to take her to the vet! I am going to shoot you, LOL. Of course unless there is a real need. But she has full use of her thumbs, there is no discoloring, it looks perfectly healthy.
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/03/07 09:56 PM

She is adorable and very unique! smile

Some might call it a freak of nature, some special. Things like that just happen sometimes with no rhyme or reason to it. As long as she is healthy, I wouldn't worry about it personally. smile

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/03/07 09:58 PM

Just curious, did you check her mom and dad's hands and feet? What about other siblings?

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/03/07 10:07 PM

Mom & Dad are normal and this is thier first joey together.
Posted By: JayAndDiana

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/03/07 10:13 PM

what a special baby Lynsie! I knew someone who's big toes were like that!! I kid you not!!
Posted By: CD_Hanratty

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/03/07 10:15 PM

I think she's adorable!

"Two thumbs" up for her!

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/03/07 10:19 PM

LOL

I had been holding her for about 1/2 hour before I had even realized it. I even took pics just a couple days ago and didn't notice it. But today I was just sitting there admiring how cute she is and how sweet she is, and OMG, what is that?! LOL. I couldn't beleive it. I had to go and check all my other joeys and check her to again and again to get myself to beleive that she actually did have this abnormality. Her new mommy will have extra fun clipping those little toes, LOL. So weird.

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/03/07 11:45 PM

That is so cool. Aren't their back feet like that? I mean, the back feet having two thumb nails had to start somewhere, so maybe in the wild every now and then a suggie has the double thumb on the front feet too. That is how we evolve, threw natures freaks.

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/03/07 11:51 PM

LOL how cute!!

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/04/07 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: LupusBeau
That is so cool. Aren't their back feet like that? I mean, the back feet having two thumb nails had to start somewhere, so maybe in the wild every now and then a suggie has the double thumb on the front feet too. That is how we evolve, threw natures freaks.

Nope smile There are 2 nails that are their groomers on the back foot, not thumbs or thumbnails though.

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/04/07 01:06 AM

She's too sweet! Wow LOL what would a good name for her be???
Posted By: morksmom

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/04/07 01:21 AM

thumbalina..
Posted By: BlndGrl8

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/04/07 01:31 AM

Lynsie she is SO cute! How funny is that to see 2 little thumb nails on each hand! She seems precious smile Lol, like Kathy said, Thumbalina!
Posted By: Mel2mdl

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/04/07 01:34 AM

If you aren't keeping her, I would make sure she is not sold as a breeder. Cute glider, but it is a deformity - who knows what inside might be messed up. dunno She is adorable, but she shouldn't be bred. (And if she is healthy - I don't see a reason to go to a vet.)

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/04/07 02:52 AM

thumbalina roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/04/07 03:08 AM

I agree with Mel, I know you are selling her, it would probably be best to sell her to a non-breeding home...

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/04/07 03:27 AM

Oh goodness if I could I would take her in a heartbeat! She is beautiful!!
Posted By: MelindaKay

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/04/07 10:57 PM

So...does she have an extra finger fused to the other or is it just one of her existing fingers fused?? She is adorable! Wish I had the extra $$ and she could come live with me in my retirement colony smile Adorable Lynsie!

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/04/07 11:50 PM

It looks like she has 2 thumbs fused together, so like, an extra thumb fused to her existing thumb. Kinda of looks like her grooming toes.

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/09/07 06:42 PM

OMG Lynsie TAKE HER TO THE VET TODAY!!!!!

hahahaha just kidding I just had to say it.......she is beautiful!!!!!
Posted By: kristenfl

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/09/07 07:07 PM

Wow how sweet!

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/09/07 07:10 PM

How adorable! What a special little girl!:)

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/11/07 03:27 PM

she is cute...as far as the fingers goes, it is just an aberrant development of the "buds" that grow into fingers.....we deal with these in people ALL the time and trust me, they have no other genetic issues. There are a few who have significant developmental delays but they are associated with severe syndromes (heart, brain, genito-urinary) and in the glider world would never have made it OOP. In my humble opinion, she shouldn't be labeled in any way (except adorable) and honestly see no reason she couldn't breed....however, I would defer to Suz on this

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/13/07 06:13 AM

I am going to leave it up to her new mommy as to whether they want to breed her or not. She is still doing great. I clipped all her little thumbies today, lol. She is the most adorable and sweetest joey ever! I don't care if she had 10 thumbs and 2 heads! LOL

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/14/07 01:55 AM

totally agree

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/14/07 02:06 AM

Is it just me or do these type of things seem to be happening more than before? (abnormalties such as extra fingers, or not enough, ect.) Atleast her fingers won't matter much, my poor Zag only has half a tail frown He'll be the sugar glider who can't glide.

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/14/07 02:08 AM

Lynsie, hubby just saw her and said 'she's all thumbs!' roflmao and added..she's adorable!
Posted By: GliderLove

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/14/07 02:27 AM

Aww, she is just adorable, abnormailities make them all that much cuter! mlove

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/14/07 03:56 AM

I'm kinda scared to see what the next joey out of this pair will look like. What if it had 2 heads or something? LOL, that would be REALLY weird. Of course, if the abnormalities continue, then I will now allow Allaira to continue to breed. Bear had produced joeys before and none were ever deformed, so I think if this is something that is in the genes, then it must come from Allaira. But even Allaira comes from a very popular line (Sandman & Sprite) and there haven't been any deformities from any of her sibblings as far as I know of.

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/18/07 06:51 AM

There is not inbreeding in her lines as far as I know of.

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/18/07 01:32 PM

its called polydactaly it happens in humans as well as cats and dogs the great pyranese has 2 dew claws its nothing to worrie about but yes its gene linked but it really never affects anything more then the hands and feet how much are u selling her for I would be willing to take her off your hands extra toes don't faze me shell just have better grip for those face hugs lol

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/18/07 02:36 PM

If you check out sites for Servals, Savannah's,exotic cats you'll find being poly is a special thing for them.

I have a Siamese cat that is not poly herself but will throw poly kittens. It's about a 1 in 3 kitten ratio.

So it might not be a good thing in suggies, but in other animal it's coveted and means bigger bucks for the seller.

Theresia

Posted By: BeckiT

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/18/07 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Genn
its called polydactaly it happens in humans as well as cats and dogs the great pyranese has 2 dew claws its nothing to worrie about but yes its gene linked but it really never affects anything more then the hands and feet how much are u selling her for I would be willing to take her off your hands extra toes don't faze me shell just have better grip for those face hugs lol
Genna - Lynsie's ad for Sonja is here wink

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/18/07 07:53 PM

Thanks Beck! I have not changed her price due to her having 4 thumbs, I don't think it should matter. She is a SUPER SWEET and ADORABLE little girl that I would be keeping if I had the room.

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/19/07 11:34 PM

that is very very strange and creepy my suggies arent like that at all!!!!!!!!!! I hope she will be ok!
Posted By: KarenE

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/20/07 12:11 AM

I agree with many others who have posted and don't find it creepy at all. In fact, as Lynsie pointed out, she didn't even notice for some time.

I would imagine there won't be many mealies escaping her grasp grin
Posted By: GliderGuy93

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/20/07 12:34 AM

Wow! Now that is something you don't see everyday. She is very cute.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: OMG! She has like, 4 thumbs!! - 08/20/07 05:59 AM

I was completely going to buy her, (and not to breed, I just think she is absolutely beautiful!) I have the money ready, and was filling out the application when I figured out that the date she will be ready will be 2 weeks before I am going on vacation for 2 weeks. I know she would be in good hands, because TracyB will be looking after my kids, but it just seems like too much for such a sweet little one to go through in such a short amount of time, doesn't it?

Edit: Although, still thinking... roflmao

Edit 2: Ok, thinking over... heart cloud9 heart
It's all worked out so I know she won't be as stressed (no early moving around, sorry Tracie hug2 ).
grin
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL