GliderCENTRAL

Nails on their back thumbs?!

Posted By: Guerita135

Nails on their back thumbs?! - 04/01/09 04:17 PM

Last night I was giving Precious mealies and I noticed that she has toenails on her back thumbs?! crazy

I checked her twin brother, Lil' Dude and he has them too. Sooo...I checked her parents and it turns out that they both got them from Gil. tounge

Gil is a WF mosaic from Sheila's Tinkerbelle(mosaic from Mac and Cheese) and Poppins(4.5 gen WFB from Rex and Gardenia).

Does anyone else have gliders from this line(or any line) with toenails? They're not claws, they're kinda flat toenails, like people, lol. I took some pics and will post them once they're uploaded.

I'm going to email Sheila right now and link her here so she can let us know if Gil's parents have the toenails too. wink

Re: Nails on their back thumbs?! - 04/01/09 04:49 PM

Here are pics:

Gil

Precious

Lil' Dude
Posted By: Sheila

Re: Nails on their back thumbs?! - 04/01/09 05:18 PM

I have 9 gliders from that line and none have toenails.
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: Nails on their back thumbs?! - 04/01/09 05:20 PM

I've never seen thumb nails!

Kinda cool!

Re: Nails on their back thumbs?! - 04/01/09 05:50 PM

I think it's kinda cool too, lol. I have a new "line" of gliders. roflmao I can't imagine thumbnails being the newest "rave" in gliders though. ROFL!

Gil's nail is about twice the size of his joeys' nails, so I'm guessing that they might continue to grow with age. If so, then I'll have to keep an eye on them and make sure they don't get too long.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Nails on their back thumbs?! - 04/01/09 07:25 PM

It's actually kinda cute.
Posted By: StitchsMom

Re: Nails on their back thumbs?! - 04/01/09 07:27 PM

Hmmm...strange. I've never seen that before!

Re: Nails on their back thumbs?! - 04/01/09 07:36 PM

Well, its' obviously genetic because only Gil's joeys have it... I haven't checked Jewel yet and I think they don't get it til they're a few months old because neither of the new joeys have it.

It's odd that only Gil has it, but no one else in his line. :\ It's obviously a strong genetic "mutation" since Gil's joeys have it, so I find it really curious that his parents and siblings don't have it. Hmmm...

Re: Nails on their back thumbs?! - 04/01/09 09:51 PM

That's kind of neat I actually like it and I think it would be nice to have gliders with relatively dull claws as long as they can still climb and wash good enough but make sure the nails don't get ingrown like on people because it looks like it could happen but that's pretty cool and I like it.

Re: Nails on their back thumbs?! - 04/02/09 12:15 AM

Actually, one of the rescues I had once, Byte, had really short nails that I didn't have to clip a single time when he was here(for 2 months)! I TRIED to clip them once, but they weren't long enough so I pretty much was just scraping off the tip of his nails with the clippers, lol.

If only ALL gliders has naturally trimmed nails. tounge Thta would make facehugs SOOOO much more enjoyable!
Posted By: Feather

Re: Nails on their back thumbs?! - 04/04/09 08:59 PM

This toenail could be something from when the species evolved. Hundreds of years ago they may have had nails on those toes. Just like the ergots and chestnuts in horses, or dewclaws in dogs.

A remenant of the past.

Re: Nails on their back thumbs?! - 04/04/09 10:38 PM

Thats pretty neat! You have some very unique gliders!
Watch the joey's and see when their's start comming in. I'm curious now!

smile

Re: Nails on their back thumbs?! - 04/04/09 10:58 PM

Well, I don't believe in evolution, so I'm just thinking it's a fluke, kinda like a polydactyl(sp?), except not so drastic.

I'll definately be keeping tabs on the joeys. wink I'm keeping Bright, so I'll be able to watch him firsthand and will tell Fancy's new mom to watch for it as well! Both of Gil's first joeys already have their own babies on the way, so I'll be watching them too. smile

I guess now I know why Gil likes to be such a little monkey and is so careless when he leaps around the room...it's because he's got back gripage! roflmao

Re: Nails on their back thumbs?! - 04/05/09 03:26 PM

All horses have chestnuts, they give off a scent which is one reason why when horses meet eachother they stretch their heads low and sniff at the other horses legs.

Re: Nails on their back thumbs?! - 04/06/09 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Jozef
All horses have chestnuts, they give off a scent which is one reason why when horses meet eachother they stretch their heads low and sniff at the other horses legs.

Huh?....
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL