GliderCENTRAL

Selling of Gliders in California

Posted By: TinaPa

Selling of Gliders in California - 01/11/12 08:01 PM

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/20...sum-online.html

I think that I should share this with everyone.
Posted By: tjlong

Re: Selling of Gliders in California - 01/11/12 09:10 PM

How sad. frown What a waste of resources in CA. You would think they have better things to do. I understand they can live in the wild there because of climate but one would think they have bigger fish to fry?

As a breeder I've been approached several times by people in CA. I won't sell to them under any circumstances. There are many listed on Craigslist and even Hoobly. What a frustrating situation for people there.

Re: Selling of Gliders in California - 01/11/12 09:13 PM

Rules are rules though. There is a reason it is set up like that. I head that Maine was becoming over populated with them now because so many people decide they can't afford them so they just let them go.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Selling of Gliders in California - 01/11/12 09:32 PM

possums?! Are they really? :O
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: Selling of Gliders in California - 01/11/12 09:33 PM

Yes - they are really possums. They are members of that family.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Selling of Gliders in California - 01/11/12 09:42 PM

Sugar gliders would not survive the winters in Maine.

Re: Selling of Gliders in California - 01/11/12 10:11 PM

That's what I figured. But that is the rumor I have heard. My uncle in Texas found a colony of them living in his backyard. He had to call animal control to help him get them. He couldn't keep them because he has 3 dogs and 7 cats so he let them take the gliders. That's what he told me anyways.
Posted By: Skye12191

Re: Selling of Gliders in California - 01/11/12 10:37 PM

Wow that's crazy.....
Posted By: IslandGliders

Re: Selling of Gliders in California - 01/12/12 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: TinaPa
I head that Maine was becoming over populated with them now because so many people decide they can't afford them so they just let them go.

Very very very NOT true.
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Selling of Gliders in California - 01/12/12 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: TinaPa
Rules are rules though.

:agreed: This is a perfect example of why rules need to be followed. I've heard people say they would keep them even though it's illegal; but I wouldn't sell to them. Maybe this will make them think twice. Owning a pet is not worth having them confiscated, a fine and jail time.
Posted By: LalaPetush

Re: Selling of Gliders in California - 01/12/12 12:38 AM

yep rules are rules. that just puts way more stress on the gliders. i wouldnt ever own an animal that was illegal to have, just irresponsible.

Re: Selling of Gliders in California - 01/12/12 01:22 AM

Exactly. There are people out there who don't care but I would rather not have gliders than 1: be fined a huge load of money, 2: go to jail, and 3: Put any kind of stress on gliders because some places will euthanize them if they can't find a placement for them. I don't think it really happens often but there is still that chance, and then even if they do get re-homed, think of all the stress it will cause them. I took in two rescues from mass (Where they are illegal) because the girl was told she had 2 weeks to find them a home or they were going to be confiscated.
Posted By: rach

Re: Selling of Gliders in California - 01/12/12 02:26 AM

If I wanted to own a specific type of animal I would move to where they were legal if I wanted them bad enough. Now that I am owned by gliders I would never I repeat NEVER move to an area where they were illegal.

Re: Selling of Gliders in California - 01/12/12 04:42 AM

I couldn't either. Yeah, Cali is where everyone wishes they lived, but my gliders are part of my family! Also, Cali is way over priced anyways. The economy sucks!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL