GliderCENTRAL

Airline Travel w/Suggies

Posted By: FionasMomma

Airline Travel w/Suggies - 05/24/14 09:43 PM

Does anyone have any experience traveling with your suggies? I want to be able to carry them on with me. I will not consider putting them in with the baggage. I have grandchildren that live out of state and love to visit. Obviously, flying is the quickest way to go, but so far, I have not come across any airline that will allow me to carry on my two fur babies without paying more for them to fly than my own ticket ($250.00 per animal) I have only researched on line and not contacted any airlines so far because all I can find is for rabbits, birds, dogs, cats, etc...and they charge $250 each. Honestly, It would take a whole colony of suggies to weigh as much as a rabbit!!! I actually thought about "smuggling" them under my shirt, but realized just as I was going through security, they would start crabbing!!! I'm sure that would get us detained!!

Thanks Everyone,
Fiona and Fynnley's Mom
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Airline Travel w/Suggies - 05/25/14 04:31 AM

Currently none of the airlines in the US will allow Sugar Gliders to be carried on board the plane in the passenger cabin.

The only options are to pay to have them travel in a climate controlled cargo area or arrange for someone to care for them at home while you are away. The third option is to drive to your destination and take the gliders with you in the car.

Not all airlines are equipped to ship gliders so it may not be possible to have them travel with you on the same flight. There are also restrictions based on the out side temperatures at the airports you are dealing with. If the weather is too hot during the summer they will not transport animals. You would need to check with the specific airline to see if arrangements can be made.

When I travel, I prepare all the food plates for each night I will be gone and put them in the freezer. My son feeds the gliders each evening.
Posted By: FionasMomma

Re: Airline Travel w/Suggies - 05/25/14 10:08 PM

Thank You...I am traveling with them and my little dog by car from Fla to Texas this summer to visit my daughter and family, but it's a 12 hour trip by car. The flight is only 2 and sometimes I can get a great deal on airfare and car rental. That's why I was curious about the air travel. I did find that Delta will allow two animals to travel for the price of one in the cabin ($125) as long as there is ample room in the kennel. I am going to call and ask about my fur babies. It's just me, my husband and our fur babies now that the children are all grown. He travels quiet a bit for business. Our dog has really good friends she likes to stay with when I go out of town, but I have never left my suggies with anyone since I got them last fall. Probably TMI, eh.....
Thanks again for the info...

Fiona and Fynnley's Mom
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Airline Travel w/Suggies - 05/26/14 12:20 AM

Delta no longer allows gliders to be in the cabin. A space in cargo will need to be purchased. If you are going to be traveling via plane, I suggest doing so with United as they are cheaper for your sugar glider to fly as long as any layovers are not too long.
Posted By: josefine

Re: Airline Travel w/Suggies - 05/26/14 03:04 AM

There was a show on animal planet and air travel for pets & I was really upset about what goes on w/pets flying.
Please find out all you can about how they will really be handled &
taken care of.
I would hold nothing back in my questioning. Seriously.
Posted By: IndieAndStella

Re: Airline Travel w/Suggies - 06/17/14 04:23 PM

Also, if the area you are flying into has sugar gliders on the banned list (IE: in NYC and 5 boros they are illegal, but not upstate or Long Island - airports are in Queens, which is one of the illegal boros) you might have issues picking them up, or even getting them onto the flight.

I did read somewhere that if you are able to get a psychiatrist to prescribe a sugar glider for mental illness, then they would be allowed to travel with you as a service animal. I vaguely remember someone trying to get them approved for anxiety disorder in public places/while flying...not sure if they were able to get it to pass, and even with a note from a doc, there will be issues at the airport as most people still dont even know what one is.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL